PDA

View Full Version : Long range 28 litre tank for the DRZ.

inlinefour
8th August 2006, 15:26
Well I finally got around to getting it out of the package, removing the old tank and putting the "safari tank" on the DRZ. Actually went on really easily, after I found out where exactly the old tank was anchored onto the frame. I removed the most bolts I from a trail bike to get the original tank off. New tank cost $600 Aussie dollars including freight. Personally I think it was worth each and every dollar. Went up to the local petrol station with the 7 or so litres from the original tank syphoned into the new tank. Got up there and it took another 30+ dollars more (can't be arsed getting the docket out), even the attendants stopped what they was doing and came and had a look. Also both mentioned that they thought it was the most they have ever seen put into a trail bike as well. Riding the bike, it handles somewhat differently as would be expected. But it would not take much effort to change back to the original tank. Anyhow, I have all of next week off and I intend to bugger off on the DRZ. I know I need to be in Morrinsville on Monday, the rest I will just decide on the direction at the time. Although I have not been up Coromandel since I was a kid. They tell me its all sealed roads up there now, who's friggin stoopid idea was that??? :gob:
Pictures are first one, original tank with the new one beside the bike, 2nd is vice versa and the 3rd is a side view. I'm stoked and ready to go! :rockon:

Zukin
8th August 2006, 15:38
Hi

Looks good!
Huge tank though, you wont have to fill it up for a loooong time :yes:

I decided on the 15 litre tank for my XR.

Shame you are off next week and not the following as I am planning pretty much the same thing....lets hope the weather improves for us :wait:

clint640
8th August 2006, 16:26
Looks good. 28 litres might be a bit excessive for NZ but hey, nothing exceeds like excess! Is all the gas above the carb or do you need a fuel pump to get it all?

Coromandel aint all sealed. heaps of good gravel still, in a day you can do the 309, & all the way up both sides & back quite easily. It's a good time of the year for a fang up there 'cos the roads are pretty quiet.

Cheers
Clint

inlinefour
8th August 2006, 16:34
Looks good. 28 litres might be a bit excessive for NZ but hey, nothing exceeds like excess! Is all the gas above the carb or do you need a fuel pump to get it all?

Coromandel aint all sealed. heaps of good gravel still, in a day you can do the 309, & all the way up both sides & back quite easily. It's a good time of the year for a fang up there 'cos the roads are pretty quiet.

Cheers
Clint

Im definitely going up there then. The fuel tap is actually at the same level as the carb. I guess its just gravity fed. Yea its big, but that was what was on offer and I'd rather have too much fuel rather than not enough and I'm stoked that I no longer need to carry an extra fuel container on the back. Man Im amped for my week off, not even the weather is going to stop me as I have some pretty awesome gear to wear also now. :sunny:

Motu
8th August 2006, 17:13
You don't have to have it full all the time anyway....but shit that's a big sucker! Big tanks lower the CG and move it forward...all good for handling.

sAsLEX
8th August 2006, 17:24
You don't have to have it full all the time anyway....but shit that's a big sucker! Big tanks lower the CG and move it forward...all good for handling.

Saves dangling your leg out there now dont it Motu?

inlinefour
8th August 2006, 17:30

Might just have to be aware that the frount might slide easier in the loose stuff I imagine. Surorising thing is that with the bigger tank its a easier bike to sit on now as the radiator shrouds went further out than the big tank.