PDA

View Full Version : A V-Rod for the masses?

dawnrazor
9th August 2006, 09:12
http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/gv650.html

they didn't even try to hid the fact it a design rip off, at bit like their sv650 clone

skelstar
9th August 2006, 09:19
Apparently HD was asking them to withdraw it from sale :). Cant say that the 650R is anything like any other manufacturer though.

James Deuce
9th August 2006, 09:20
a. They didn't rip off Suzuki. They've been making Suzukis since the '70s.

b. How is a 650cc tart's hand bag in any way related to a V-Rod?

Compare them side by side, and the utter lack of similarity becomes obvious. The only thing that looks suss is the instrument cowl.

The Pastor
9th August 2006, 10:25
I like the V rod...

RantyDave
9th August 2006, 10:42
How is a 650cc tart's hand bag in any way related to a V-Rod?
I don't know shit about cruisers, but "Motorcycle Daily" has a thing today (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/07august06_vrods.htm) on the current V-Rods and they look like savage pieces of kit to me. Strikes me that in a market that's all about image, having the word "hyosung" across the tank is not going to help.

Still, what do I know about cruisers?

Dave

scumdog
9th August 2006, 10:46
For the 'other rider' - you know, the ones that WANT a Harley:wait: :nya: :whistle:

Motig
9th August 2006, 11:07
Hell, doesn't look like a V-Rod to me, praps after I've had a few beers.We're lucky Harley didn't manage to get the patent for 2 wheels and V-twin engines.

dawnrazor
9th August 2006, 11:41
b. How is a 650cc tart's hand bag in any way related to a V-Rod?
Compare them side by side, and the utter lack of similarity becomes obvious. The only thing that looks suss is the instrument cowl.

your absolutely right they look nothing like each other, not even a little bit, what was i thinking.
:gob: now which is which again?

limbimtimwim
9th August 2006, 12:33
There was a VRSCX on tardme (Here it is: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Other/auction-62698058.htm ) .

If I won lotto, yeah. 9.5 seconds standing 1/4 (In the right hands) is pretty good.

A street rod would be cool. Be fun to piss on sprotbikes on the 'takas. Even if I don't like the hill much.

Hitcher
9th August 2006, 13:15
My only reservation about the Hyosung Aquila is all of that chromed plastic.

sels1
9th August 2006, 13:31
Strikes me that in a market that's all about image, having the word "hyosung" across the tank is not going to help.

Yes. They might make inroads with their naked and sports bikes but the cruiser market will be harder to crack. Still, with a lot of new people getting into biking old attitudes will be diluted. New riders will look at price and value-for-money and will have less regard for traditions. A female aquaintance has recently bought the 250 version of these things (her first bike) and absolultely loves it.

James Deuce
9th August 2006, 13:35
your absolutely right they look nothing like each other, not even a little bit, what was i thinking.
:gob: now which is which again?

Still can't see it. The V-Rod is a lot bigger.

Motorad had an Anniversary V-ROd and a GV650 in the shop at the same time and they really don't look at all alike in the flesh. The pictures you posted just confirm that cruisers are low slung with big handle bars.

dawnrazor
9th August 2006, 14:16
Still can't see it. The V-Rod is a lot bigger.

Motorad had an Anniversary V-ROd and a GV650 in the shop at the same time and they really don't look at all alike in the flesh. The pictures you posted just confirm that cruisers are low slung with big handle bars.

granted in the flesh they will be very different..but from a design point of view, they have a similiar aesthetic - agreed the details are wildly different, but the lines and curves are very similiar, yeah its longer, but n the general sense they look like family, i think.

My overall point being that while Hoyslung or whatever they are called my well be putting out good bikes, their design deptment is stealing from the theives! Thats all.

outlawtorn
9th August 2006, 16:10
at the end of the day aren't all cruisers simliar looking?

I look at sports bike and I can't tell one from another. :gob:

But then again, that's sport bikes.......:whocares:

dawnrazor
9th August 2006, 17:37
at the end of the day aren't all cruisers simliar looking?

I wouldn't say that at all, inparticular the V-rod was hearlded as a departure in cruiser design away from the traditional looks and designs.

James Deuce
9th August 2006, 17:39
I wouldn't say that at all, inparticular the V-rod was hearlded as a departure in cruiser design away from the traditional looks and designs.

Only when compared with traditional Harley Designs.

scumdog
9th August 2006, 20:46
Only when compared with traditional Harley Designs.

So what else is it NOT a radical departure to when compared??:wait:

I.E. What existing motorbike did it end up lookng like?

James Deuce
9th August 2006, 20:52
So what else is it NOT a radical departure to when compared??:wait:

I.E. What existing motorbike did it end up lookng like?

Gosh you HD blokes are tetchy.

It ended up looking like a Cruiser as I said, but it has an alloy frame and a water cooled engine.

Not typical HD cruiser practice at all.

I like the flipping things as I have said, so just settle eh?

And anyway you have yourself to thank for that. Along with Motu, Ixion, and Paul in NZ for making me realise that mocking someone's ride is a pointless exercise, and that instead of taking the piss you should try it and see if you can get the point and have some fun in the process.

Go drink some grain alcohol and chill :).

Bonez
9th August 2006, 21:01
Who really gives a fuck. Ride whay ya like, like what ride...............ah bro.

scumdog
9th August 2006, 21:10
Hey easy big-boy!
Chill Jim2, I was simply being curious as I felt maybe I was too 'H-D blinded' to notice pre-existing bikes that looked like V-Rods, that's all.

I feel slighted that you thought I was that shallow!!! :nya: p/t

Hmm, might take your advice re the grain alcohol all the same:drinknsin

P.S. Who me worry ??(As per MAD magazine)

Bob
2nd September 2006, 02:28
Bike magazine over here in the UK took one out for a road test - and REALLY rated it. 70bhp, USD forks etc - for less than the price (just) of an 883 Sportster? Has to be worth a look if you're looking for something at the bargain end of the cruiser market.

Amused by one comment, which went along the lines of "OK, it has trouble cornering at 90mph in the wet"! I can think of a lot of bikes that'd be in the same situation!

I've got to get in touch with my local Hyosung dealer and see if they'll let me go play with one.

When the 650 Comet first came out, I said they should bring out a cruiser using the same engine - nice to be proved right!

Harleyman30
4th September 2006, 23:17
Dude, go and get your eyes tested. They look absolutely nothing like each other. Where the hell do you see the similarities in these bikes. One is a piece of shit ex Korea, and one is a living legend for Harley Davidson (the first water cooled HD). I know you may think they look similar side on, but my advice, look at some more photos of a V Rod and then tell me they are similar. With a misconception like that, you could get shot!!

Mr. Peanut
5th September 2006, 05:47
A bit off topic I know, but if Buell used the V-Rod engine and conventional twin front discs, I would definitely consider buying one :yes: