PDA

View Full Version : On vs Off road...

Wolf
9th August 2006, 15:49
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the XT225 and what I want to do with it.

I know I'm not a good off-road rider - my experience being limited to mucking about on fairly tame areas with hard dry dirt or a little gravel on my old TS125.

While I like the idea of hitting rugged trails with mud, large rocks, river crossings and such and seeing parts of New Zealand that few vehicles can get to, I know that I personally lack the experience and technical skills to do it.

I could learn off-road riding, but I have no illusions that I alone of all the people on the planet will learn how to become an excellent off-road rider without once falling off and therein lies the rub.

The XT is my only means of transport aside from the family cage. I've only just got the bike after being bikeless (and nearly going up the wall because of that) for about two years. If I fall off and damage the bike - even as trivial as breaking indicators, lights or control levers or ripping the exhaust pipe off - I cannot afford the insurance excess or repair costs to fix it and I would be bikeless again until such time as I could get it fixed.

No weekend rides, no Toy Run, no Cold Kiwi, no ability to just say "fuck it, I'm going out for a ride". I endured two years of that because of my own carelessness and I don't want to do so again.

So I tend to play it safe and stick to that with which I am most comfortable - road riding.

For this purpose, the XT is the best bike I've owned. It's lighter and more agile than any of my road bikes and it has a better top speed than the old TS125. It is an absolute weapon in town when dealing with sharp corners and unpredictable traffic, it reaches and maintains the open road limit with ease and it deals to twisting hilly roads with no problems at all. In addition, it copes with uneven terrain, ruts, potholes and roadworks far better than any pure street machine I've ever owned or ridden. Smooth or rugged roads, straight and flat or twisty and hilly, the XT copes with it all - great for adventure touring on any road.

One thing I discovered is that I can have loads of fun out on the road on the XT, exploring back roads and fairly off-the-beaten-track areas.

So I've decided that the XT is going to be almost totally a road bike. There will be occasional mucking about off-road on fairly tame uneven terrain but I won't be taking it off-road in a serious manner.

No doubt I will find sufficient challenges on some of the more rugged roads to test my abilities - like learning how to ride over Otorohaea Trig road without continuously pestering every deity in my preferred pantheon...

At some stage I'll save up a couple of hundred bucks and get a crappy off-roader that still runs that I can trailer out somewhere and learn how to ride off-road without the worry that I'm going to break my only mode of independant transport. At some future time I may well be at the point of taking the XT on a mixed on- and off-road ride out round Whangamomona or similar without the worry that I'll be bikeless for the next six months.

In the meantime, for my XT I'm going to focus on repairs and tidying the bike up (derust and repaint the tank) and look at load carrying options so I can make longer journeys and explore more areas. I'll also look at making the seat more comfortable for longer hauls since I'll be sitting down more than I'll be standing on the pegs. Replacing the missing bashplate would be neat for the sake of completeness but not as urgent now I'm not planning on skidding its belly across large rocks.

Now that I've decided which way I want to go, I have a better idea of what I'll be doing in the way of mods (when I can afford them) and what tyres I'll be using (the Pirelli MT90 A/Ts I have at the moment seem quite well suited for mainly road use, I may go as far as 50/50 road/trail tyres but nothing more trail oriented than that).

It also helps with me deciding what sort of riding gear to buy as I gradually replace worn-out gear.

Ixion
9th August 2006, 16:00
Thta's exactly my logic in getting the XT600.

I've done trail riding, but I don't really anticipate doing much in the future. If for no other reason than that trail riding alone is a Bad Idea. Not good to get stuck in the bush with a broken bike (or leg) alone.

But I do want a bike that can handle crap roads, gravel roads, roads that turn into not much more than trails, can go explore interesting stuff just off the road, can get down onto the beach etc etc.

A lot of back country roads in NZ are sufficently rough that off-roader type suspension is justified.

In my case I also want it to be a bike that can ride longish distances (200-300km) easily.

I'm thinking something halfway between a motard and a "true" off roader. Sort of like the original American motard idea. Down the motorway, onto a back road, off down a gravel road, through the bush, onto the beach, up a stream, back onto the gravel, back onto seal, back up the motorway, split through the rush hour traffic. And tomorrow, commute into werk on it. I want everything, man, and I want it now.

Zukin
9th August 2006, 16:07
I found the best thing to do is to ride off road on mine.

Although it is a pain to change/remove things before a trail ride, it is worth it
I remove all indicators, the brake light (and have a plastic square to go in the hole in the rear mudguard), I remove the baffle, tie the side stand up, remove the number plate and the holder.
That way when I fall off, all I end up is dented pride and a few scratches.
Most of the times I have fallen off have been at slower speeds (across rocks and up steep hills) so no damage as such.

The benefits I think are amazing, as a direct result of trail riding (esp in the winter, wet and muddy) I feel as I am a much better rider.
Power is not always needed, but sometimes it is!:wait: I learnt real fast how to brake on a slippery surface, when I should stand (which actually took a bit of practice), it was an uncanny feeling standing on the pegs, but you soon master it.
The first time I felt the rear stepping out was interesting, but soon figured how to control it, a good exercise.
The people you meet are damn good, and really go out of their way to help novices.

And its fun!!:yes:

Thinking about steep hills, I often find myself at the back, and on the steeper sections I find myself stopping/stalling or falling off due to other riders down, but I have real trouble starting again, I can get the bike started, but cant get any traction!!
Last time was on a scree slope, all I could do was spin the back wheel, which dug a hole and I was going no where!! How do I get the bike moving forward?

My thoughts anyway :yes:

Wolf
9th August 2006, 16:23
A lot of back country roads in NZ are sufficently rough that off-roader type suspension is justified.
Yep, so's SH1 between Mercer and the Bombays, according to The Harold :devil2:

Otorohaea Trig Road is better than some back-country roads I've seen over the years and it was still pretty rugged. I could certainly feel the juddering of the ruts even on the XT at fairly low speed. Would hate to have tried it on something like the LS400 or the CB550, let alone the old RD350 with its downswept handlebars and tank-hugging seating posture (frigging 40mph on Horrells Road out between Morrinsville and Springdale was bad enough on the RD and that road is paved, FFS).

I like the idea that no matter what road I turn down the bike will be able to take it and I won't be cursing the suspension, the handling or the tyres for not being up to the challenge.

I also like the way the wee beastie corners - though I must admit my old CB360 was a beautifully manoeuvrable bike as well and compared with my last bike, the LS400, pretty much anything corners better...

Wolf
9th August 2006, 16:29
I remove all indicators, the brake light (and have a plastic square to go in the hole in the rear mudguard), I remove the baffle, tie the side stand up, remove the number plate and the holder.
Hmmmm, hadn't thought of stripping off the breakables. Worth thinking of.

Ixion
9th August 2006, 16:42
The trouble with that is that you then have a problem riding it to the off road place. I guess if you knew in advance where you were going off road you could strip it by the roadside, and hide the stuff somewhere (assuming that you were going to end up coming out at the same point, which isn't always the case) Bit iffy though.

And in my case I don't usually have the off road bit planned in advance, more a case of "ohh, looky"

inlinefour
9th August 2006, 16:53
Hmmmm, hadn't thought of stripping off the breakables. Worth thinking of.

One of the first things I purchased off a trader was a full set of indercators and a tail light unit off someone who has taken their DRZ off the road for good. I am also of the same thinking, if or when I come off the most likely damage will be those sort of parts. I'm allways looking for cheap spares for my bike and picked up a new complete original exhaust for only $81, I was stoked. Likewise I had a great score on spidi enduro gear and my gains on selling my other classic waterbus has paid for it all so far. All I'm now waiting for is a new set of metziler(sp) barely road legal knobblies and the DRZ will be complete. Its a far cry from my 98 TT350f that was stolen at the beginning of the year, but also a far superior bike IMO. I have not yet got an old dunga like you speak of, but would ideally like to pick up a twin shock VX bike of some sort. The only problem is that I will probably want to restore it back to original in my own time as a project. But for me thats half the fun of it all. I know what your saying about the insurance too. Having the TT stolen not only meant I had to cover the excess, wait for the insurance company to take their sweet time (which was months), but now all my insurance premiums are more. After that experience I not only feel victumised by whoever stole the bike, but also the insurance company who are still happy to take my money away. But really thats just life eh and luckily I have a few more coins to rub together (touch wood!) and life goes on. Maybe we need a list for parts that are needed by KBers? Then we all can keep an eye out for them when we are also looking for the stuff we need ourselves? Just a though...

Hellraiser
9th August 2006, 17:10
Isn't there a place in Huntly where you can go trail riding? They even give you the bike if i recall correctly. Thats a good way of learning how to ride off road ....... use someone elses bike

oldrider
9th August 2006, 17:39
I shared your dilemma about a bike for (almost) all occasions, so I bought my TransAlp.
I am mostly satisfied with it and it can do most of the things that I (and Mrs O/r) want to do on a bike these days.
Rough roads, gravel roads, farm tracks, country lanes, main highways, town, City, touring two up, 300kms between stops.
It is powerful enough even extending the limits but it is not an exciting feeling or looking bike to the casual observer and feels bland.
(until you beat the snot out of it)
You learn to respect the T/A because they don't very often let you down, they are very reliable and durable.
Alas, they will never be a fashion statement in this part of the world as long as BMW are here too.
They would probably be more satisfying with the new version of the engine that has just come out in the Honda Deauville.
They have injected it and increased the capacity to 700cc, I am waiting to see if they update the T/A with that engine too.
Overall I am satisfied with my choice of the TransAlp for a,"one does all," bike but it's fun looking over the fence isn't it. Cheers John.

far queue
9th August 2006, 17:55
Mine goes everywhere, and all the road stuff stays on, except the mirrors. If it's going to be a bush bashing ride, then the stock mirrors get swapped for a pushbike mirror that velcros onto to the left hand grip, then that comes off when I get off road. If something gets damaged or the bike suffers a bit more wear and tear, well that's a bit of a bugger, but I bought it to ride everywhere and have fun on everywhere, not to wrap it in cotton wool. Such is the cost of enjoyment, but I reckon I'm getting value for money.

Motu
9th August 2006, 17:56
Life....it's a bugger when it messes up all our plans...

I got the DT230 with the intention of it being my off road bike I could put lights on and use on the road - unfortunatly the reverse has happened.I've been trying to get back off road for years,looks like I might get to do it when I have a walking frame.So the DT230 is my road bike,I have no real problem with that,apart from not being able to take in bigger rides.But I'm more focused on gravel,so need a bike I can ride hard on those roads....seal and trail are a compromise to me.I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing...I'll just ride my bike when I can.....dream some.....tell tall stories to young guys...get fat and grow old....

Shit....it was only Monteith's Celtic Red,I didn't know it would have that sort of effect....maybe I'll have another one....

far queue
9th August 2006, 18:00
I am mostly satisfied with it and it can do most of the things that I (and Mrs O/r) want to do on a bike these days.
Rough roads, gravel roads, farm tracks, country lanes, main highways, town, City, touring two up, 300kms between stops.You should take it for that ride over Myers Pass, you'll enjoy it.

but it's fun looking over the fence isn't it.Oh yes, I've heard about these dirty old men - got any pics :whistle:

Wolf
9th August 2006, 18:27
Shit....it was only Monteith's Celtic Red,I didn't know it would have that sort of effect....maybe I'll have another one....
Gotta watch out for these Celtic things.

Kickaha
9th August 2006, 18:58
If for no other reason than that trail riding alone is a Bad Idea. Not good to get stuck in the bush with a broken bike (or leg) alone.

You forgot the bit about about having to walk 13km out of the bush in motocross boots to find some friends to help you come and get your bike out, errrrrrrr not that it has ever happened to me:Oops:

Wolf
9th August 2006, 19:39
You forgot the bit about about having to walk 13km out of the bush in motocross boots to find some friends to help you come and get your bike out, errrrrrrr not that it has ever happened to me:Oops:
That's a mighty specific distance to mention for someone to whom it has never happened...

oldrider
9th August 2006, 20:30
You should take it for that ride over Myers Pass, you'll enjoy it.

Oh yes, I've heard about these dirty old men - got any pics :whistle:

Ahhh, so he got in touch with you then! :yes:

(lol) No pics sorry, I drool on the camera and ruin it. :nya:

cowpoos
9th August 2006, 21:56
trail bikes are bloody hard to break...I know...I try....I've done a good number of enduro's and trail scramles in my short time on earth....oh and couple of beach races....what ya break and bend 90% of the time I find....brake levers and clutch levers and bent handle bars...solution...get some of those fat bars...alloy ones...like moose bars or rethnal's...I've had some priddy impressive tumbles at speed and they don't bend at all!!! always pays to have a few spare levers...short two or three fingers ones are the best...if you stick with OEM ones....get a hacksaw blade and cut a line a few mm deep...about a inch and a half from the tip....and then 90% of the time they will break there and you can carry on without replacing levers....indercators need to be rubber mounted and spares are almost Ideal to carry with you...tyre tubes are another good spare for any mission...metzler have heavy duty tubes and I swear by them...worth a look...I usually take one tyre lever and two ring spares that could have other uses for tyre levers [ther idea is less tools the less weight the better]...and a small hand pump [pushbike shops sell tiny fold up ones!!!]

as for improving your off road riding...find some with some skill...and get pointers...not hard...skill full riders make everything look totally easy...ask them....ego's love to tell!!! and if you have acess to a trails bike...have a play often....best riders I've ever meet ride them regularly....great for all aspects of on and off road riding...

clint640
10th August 2006, 08:29
Poos is dead right. With some decent bars & handguards the XT is a perfectly capable trailbike & would be pretty hard to damage if you're just putting around. For the price of a dunga trailbike you could just upspec the XT a bit & buy a few spare levers. Get a set of barely legal knobs, maybe a smaller front sprocket, whip the mirrors off & go out on the easy loop in a few organised trail rides.

Cheers
Clint

Zukin
10th August 2006, 09:01
Yes there are a number of loops on organised trail rides, the easy ones are pretty easy, even for a novice!:yes

And the others are right, the only thing I have done to mine whilst falling off was a scratch on the exhaust from when it fell onto rocks :o

Wolf
10th August 2006, 09:03
OK, so I need to find:

a) A place to practise that's not too rugged to begin with, preferably with somewhere I can leave mirrors and anything else I strip off the bike and retrieve them from after the practice session.

b) Some experienced mentors with the time and patience to teach a 42-year-old noob.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Zukin
10th August 2006, 10:22
Hi

Have a look at this website (http://www.silverbullet.co.nz/events.php?order=&period=0&Region%5B%5D=0&EventType=4&Club=0&Search=Apply+Filter)
It lists most of the trail riding events in NZ
There isnt allot there at the moment, but you will a lot more soon once summer starts.

warewolf
10th August 2006, 10:25
Wolf, failing anything else, call Greg Power @ Power Adventures for a chat. He caters to n00bs, kids, families, experts and racing. Runs n00b-friendly events, training courses, etc etc. Motorcycle clubs do similiar, plus there are other organisations like Epic Events that run trail rides. They all want more people riding bikes so are very supportive of n00bs. :yes:

There are plenty of events to go to, you just need to find them. Virtually all
organised trail rides run sweep/support crews and have on-site ambulances should the worst happen. Other riders will also stop and help, both to guide you through obstacles or get your bike through if it is too much for you.

I am somewhat further along the same curve you are, except I've pursued the trail riding with vigour and seriously lifted my off-road riding skills as a result. Been through a succession of bikes in the process. If I had the time again, I'd get a 250 trailie from amongst the DR, XR, TTR or KLX families and be done with it.

There's lots of info around about "ruggedising" a dual-sport bike. I haven't quite gone done that route with my DR-Z250: it is one or the other, mostly. It swaps from full road rig to full off-road rig in about 30 mins, or 60-90mins with a Celtic or two. "Hi, my name is Colin, and I'm a trailer faggot!" :doobey:

Get some training, go and practice off-road, meet/talk to other riders, enjoy your adventure riding more.

KiwiBiker runs a mentoring scheme for road riding. Do we need/want one for off-road?

mazz1972
10th August 2006, 10:26
Not such a good idea to ride your steed to an off-road ride - I'm talking fully organised trail ride here, not just a "hmmm wonder what's up here then" on the side excursion. We organise trail rides in our neck of the woods and it is only once in a blue moon that someone turns up on their bike. 99.99999% of people transport them there.

A few things to consider...

First, you would need to remove the breakables and extras such as indicators, mirrors, rego plate & related paraphenalia. If you want to strip the bike off when you get there, you need somewhere to store the parts. You'll need tools to do this too, and to all you trail riders out there, YOU SHOULD BE CARRYING TOOLS ON A TRAIL RIDE ANYWAY (we have no end of hassles with twats that don't, and then expect trail-side fixit service).

What happens if (heaven forbid) the bike breaks down, or you break it beyond it being rideable, how are you going to get home?

You are likely to get absolutely filthy, and possibly wet through (even the most experienced off roaders take the odd dunk in a stream, and there's always the chance of precipitation). You aren't going to want to carry a change of clothes around the track and riding home soaking wet isn't recommended unless you want a chill.

You need the right gear for off-road too. It's better to go well prepared and have an enjoyable day in the dirt. It's the endless cleaning afterwards that's the arsey part!

As mentioned by others, definately a bad idea to go offroad into the backblocks by yourself, in case of injury.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway... :yes:

Zukin
10th August 2006, 10:28
KiwiBiker runs a mentoring scheme for road riding. Do we need/want one for off-road?

Yes please!!:yes:

I like to listen to these experts, and the advice they give is invaluable.
I would like to hear their views on fixing the bike on the road (especially punctures and the like)

I think it would be a good idea

cowpoos
10th August 2006, 10:28
OK, so I need to find:

a) A place to practise that's not too rugged to begin with, preferably with somewhere I can leave mirrors and anything else I strip off the bike and retrieve them from after the practice session.

b) Some experienced mentors with the time and patience to teach a 42-year-old noob.

Any suggestions, anyone?
if your down this way....flick me a PM....I have a farm....and experience....and have no issuse teaching stuff to anyone....I even have a couple of trail bikes so don't mind ya using one of mine....

cowpoos
10th August 2006, 10:32
Get a set of barely legal knobs,

michelin ac-10's most agressive DOT approved off road tyre you can get...and some how it doesn't wear to bad on hard surfaces either!!

Zukin
10th August 2006, 10:38
Not such a good idea to ride your steed to an off-road ride - I'm talking fully organised trail ride here, not just a "hmmm wonder what's up here then" on the side excursion. We organise trail rides in our neck of the woods and it is only once in a blue moon that someone turns up on their bike. 99.99999% of people transport them there.

A few things to consider...

First, you would need to remove the breakables and extras such as indicators, mirrors, rego plate & related paraphenalia. If you want to strip the bike off when you get there, you need somewhere to store the parts. You'll need tools to do this too, and to all you trail riders out there, YOU SHOULD BE CARRYING TOOLS ON A TRAIL RIDE ANYWAY (we have no end of hassles with twats that don't, and then expect trail-side fixit service).

What happens if (heaven forbid) the bike breaks down, or you break it beyond it being rideable, how are you going to get home?

You are likely to get absolutely filthy, and possibly wet through (even the most experienced off roaders take the odd dunk in a stream, and there's always the chance of precipitation). You aren't going to want to carry a change of clothes around the track and riding home soaking wet isn't recommended unless you want a chill.

Well put, I always trailer my bike to these events, nothing like a nice warm van to get changed into dry clothes!!

As mentioned by others, definately a bad idea to go offroad into the backblocks by yourself, in case of injury.

Whilst I agree with some of the comments about riding in the backblocks solo for obvious reasons, it is something I enjoy (and often dont have anyone to ride with) and will continue to do
Why?
It is no different for farmers, hunters, trampers etc etc, it is all about Risk Management.
When I am solo, I will carry enough tools should something break or get damaged, so that I can fix it enough to safely get home.
I dont take unessesary risks (riding fast, wheelies etc), I often stop walk up or down the trail to check it is safe and passable (old 4wd tricks), and never get into something I dont think I can make through without damage to the bike or worse to me :nono:
I ALWAYS tell someone where I am going and when to expect me back.

If the bike fails for whatever reason, I am prepared to walk and collect it later.
In my bag I always carry an Emergency Sleeping Bag (Silver) and food and a water bottle, first aid kit, compass and map of the area and a torch etc
This is the same stuff when I go hunting, motorbike riding, or 4wding

Treat the outdoors with respect, regardless of what the activity you are doing.

Just my thoughts

mazz1972
10th August 2006, 10:38
OK, so I need to find:

Any suggestions, anyone?

Many clubs only do only competitive stuff like MX, but those with their own tracks might sometimes have an open day. Contact your local club and see what sort of riding they do, and if they have any events for novices. It's not just kids learning to ride these days.

You could also try asking the bike shops in your area. They usually know of all the events happening, and they just might be able to suggest something or put you onto someone to ask.

Most trail rides will usually have a kids/junior or novice track so get in touch with the organisers of local events and see if it would be suitable for you.

Do you have any mates into off-road riding that would be prepared to coach you? They would also know of areas to learn in.

You'll need the right tyres too, if you get into mud or slippery surfaces, very "roady" tyres will not be much good to you.

mazz1972
10th August 2006, 10:45
Well put, I always trailer my bike to these events, nothing like a nice warm van to get changed into dry clothes!!

Too right, especially if it's pissing down!! Most people tend to bring a pile of stuff like clean clothes, towels, food/drink for after, deck chairs, spares etc etc.

Whilst I agree with some of the comments about riding in the backblocks solo for obvious reasons, it is something I enjoy (and often dont have anyone to ride with) and will continue to do
Why?
It is no different for farmers, hunters, trampers etc etc, it is all about Risk Management.
When I am solo, I will carry enough tools should something break or get damaged, so that I can fix it enough to safely get home.
I dont take unessesary risks (riding fast, wheelies etc), I often stop walk up or down the trail to check it is safe and passable (old 4wd tricks), and never get into something I dont think I can make through without damage to the bike or worse to me :nono:
I ALWAYS tell someone where I am going and when to expect me back.

If the bike fails for whatever reason, I am prepared to walk and collect it later.
In my bag I always carry an Emergency Sleeping Bag (Silver) and food and a water bottle, first aid kit, compass and map of the area and a torch etc
This is the same stuff when I go hunting, motorbike riding, or 4wding

Treat the outdoors with respect, regardless of what the activity you are doing.

Dude, you are the exception to the rule!!! Good on ya :yes:

Wolf
10th August 2006, 11:48
if your down this way....flick me a PM....I have a farm....and experience....and have no issuse teaching stuff to anyone....I even have a couple of trail bikes so don't mind ya using one of mine....
Cheers, poos! May well take you up on that offer - I want to learn to ride off-road properly a) for the sheer fun and b) because it'll improve my handling on some of the gnarlier roads.

Ixion
10th August 2006, 11:52

Excellent idea. Well done that man, give him an orang-utan.

Wolf
10th August 2006, 12:53
Haven't gone off-road in the backblocks by myself but most of my "adventure rides" (traditionally on old dungers that may or may not keep running) including my recent excursion into the hakarimatas (not a dunger bike but the roads were winding, hilly and mostly unfamiliar, one was a gravel "goat track" tho' Motu probably thinks it's tame) I've been by myself because frequently there is no one to go with.

It's a familiar sensation, setting out by myself with all the precautions I think I may need and not having any guarantee that I'll get to my destination and back on two wheels, being mindful that I may wind up trying to hitch-hike to civilisation in the arse end of nowhere because I binned or the bike just plain "stopped going"...

Having riding buddies would be good but a lot of the time it's not practical and you wind up having to rely on yourself, take it easy, have respect for the terrain and be mentally prepared for anything.

Wind up stretching my legs and having a cigarette in forlorn empty places, talking to myself.

SDU
10th August 2006, 13:39
Wolf I have rolled bowled & planted my Serow off road & it isn't much worse for the wear & tear. I have been amazed at what it'll take.
I got some descent bars put on (pro tapers) & bark busters & I haven't broken any levers. I've cracked an indicator lens once, they take heaps off knocking around. The mirrors come off for the tight more serious off road stuff & I use a velcoed on mirror like FQ to get to the trail ride. The main thing I find is you'll need to adjust the forks after a wee lay down as they twist, how many times I've jumped on, riden off with the right arm straight & the left tucked in going in a straight line- simple to realign on the spot.
If it is an organised day trail ride taking the trailer is best as you can relax more & be warmer going home.
We always carry tools, tubes, some spares when trail/adventure riding & even on most road trips. The one time you don't Murphy's Law will get you.
Go at your own pace & skill, which will increase with confidence in the bike & self & if you can find people that can ride with you or even ride in an area where others are around to help if needed.

mazz1972
10th August 2006, 15:32
I cheat a little, as I have a quad bike for offroad riding :ride: I learned to ride off road on 2 wheels but I was so crap at it and fell off so many times that I ran out of patience. At least with the quad I can keep up with those on 2 wheels and there are more and more quads coming to our trail rides now too.

Good luck to you Wolf, off-road riding is great fun! :yes:

Just be prepared to get dirty and fall off occasionally!!

Wolf
10th August 2006, 15:58
Just be prepared to get dirty and fall off occasionally!!
Just so long as I don't break my bike, that doesn't matter.

Motu
10th August 2006, 16:16
The Hamilton club have weekend camps,lay out some trails,some kids stuff,have bikes on hand to try out.I haven't been to one,but seen them in the club mag.If you have well polished boots and a crisp salute Gregg Power events are great....I just have a personal issue with his military disapline.

warewolf
10th August 2006, 19:00
I just have a personal issue with his military disapline.Keh? What do you mean?

Having done heaps of his events, the only thing I've experienced that would possibly fall under that description would be the basic safety rules: helmet on if you're riding, no rarking up the pits, and no going backwards on the trail. They're pretty much universal at all the organised rides.

Ghost Lemur
10th August 2006, 19:35
Just so long as I don't break my bike, that doesn't matter.

I know exactly where you are coming from Wolf. I too have been without for a long time, and saving hard to get another. Wanting to fully get into trail and off road fun and the same time I have to use it to commute if for no other reason that the parking money saved allows me to justify what is a very expensive selfish hobby. So, no matter how I look at it I can't afford to loose this bike (when I actually finally have it that is, bloody bank). Not even taking into account it's a mint rare bike, it's more valueable to me than it's mere monitary worth.

What I'm looking at doing is a bit different to what would suit you. Through Brian d'Mirage I've found that CRM plastics are cheap as in Japan (as opposed to $NZ1k+ from the UK. So I'm going to get a complete set of plastics and put my originals aside. Also going to find out which CR parts are interchangeable and keep my eyes out for spares. For you it might be a little easier. As your bike is a little more common here you have a greater chance of coming across a cheap spares bike.

The benefit of this is if something does happen (and lets face it with these bikes that bloody hard, certainly when you compare them to the "drop it from standing and spend $$$ on plastics" zxr/cbr/etc) it's a quick fix with minimal out of action time.

The other thing I'll be looking at is if there are such things as quick release accessories (indicators etc), which will speedup the pre trail strip. If there's not might have to trial and error different methods/hacks, till finding a way of streamlining the whole affair.

Having said all this, my biggest fair is being taken out by cager again. It'd do more damage than any trail fall could do.

Thankfully there's a good group of Dualsporters down here who I'll start going out with and learning from.

It's all worth it though. All the hard work, the money, the time. Once your on the bike, out there, nothing else matters.

*goes back to staring at pictures of his bike*

Wolf
10th August 2006, 20:01
Having said all this, my biggest fair is being taken out by cager again. It'd do more damage than any trail fall could do.
Cagers on the road are a risk, but I tend to keep a sharp eye out for them and I'm confident that on the road I can avoid all but the most determined idiots.

Off-road, OTOH, I am nowhere near as practised or skilled and I know that sooner or later I'm going to come off, even with taking it slow and learning the skills on gentler tracks before attempting to ride hard out over a rugged off-road tour.

I can better assess risks and take care on road than off, I have years of practical experience on tarmac and merely a few cumulative days of experience off road - and that in fairly tame areas (the least tame of which was "the Times Track" and even that was as dry as a bone that night.)

Motu
10th August 2006, 20:50
Keh? What do you mean?

He's ex military,that ok if you like that approach - I don't like being told what to do.I was riding trials when Gregg Power was the best we had,I've certainly got no complaints about what he's done and is doing for motorcycling in NZ.

Ghost Lemur
10th August 2006, 22:22
These guys (http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Tools/Cool_Tools.htm) seem have some great tools.

You guys know of any other purpose built kits?

warewolf
11th August 2006, 08:22
He's ex military,that ok if you like that approach - I don't like being told what to do.He doesn't run his events like that. If you didn't know he'd been in the forces, you'd never suspect by going to his events. The thought has never crossed my mind.

Oscar
12th August 2006, 14:24
The Hamilton club have weekend camps,lay out some trails,some kids stuff,have bikes on hand to try out.I haven't been to one,but seen them in the club mag.If you have well polished boots and a crisp salute Gregg Power events are great....I just have a personal issue with his military disapline.

I always knew you were a pinko hippie slacker...:nya:

Greg's a great bloke actually.

Motu
12th August 2006, 14:35
'Course he's a great bloke,and an even better rider.I must admit I gave him a nice salute as he was going the other way after telling me off.Guess I just don't like being told what to do....

warewolf
14th August 2006, 13:00
You guys know of any other purpose built kits?
Ballards (http://www.ballards.cc/index.php?module=Website&action=Product&content=1094771426299-6287&category=182) sell combo trail tools etc.

Ghost Lemur
14th August 2006, 17:40
Ballards (http://www.ballards.cc/index.php?module=Website&action=Product&content=1094771426299-6287&category=182) sell combo trail tools etc.

Cheers

Found another site that sells complete kits as well as all the individual tools. Unfortunately, I shut down the computer that night and forgot to save the link, so am currently trying find the site again.

Wolf
14th August 2006, 18:35
Cheers

Found another site that sells complete kits as well as all the individual tools. Unfortunately, I shut down the computer that night and forgot to save the link, so am currently trying find the site again.

Ctrl-H should give you your browser's History window and show all the sites you visited in the last few weeks.

Ghost Lemur
14th August 2006, 19:54
Ctrl-H should give you your browser's History window and show all the sites you visited in the last few weeks.

Sure, I could do it the easy way.

But thought I'd try retracing my surf of the day. It's quite intriquing seeing how one site leads to another and before you know it your miles from where you started with no idea how you got there.

Ok so I did it the easy way.

The company is called Blue Ridge Racing (http://www.blueridgeracing.com/motoStore.htm) and they have quite a good range (face value) of tool kits. Plus all the individuals tools.

Wolf
14th August 2006, 20:52
Sure, I could do it the easy way.

Easy way? You actually have to hold down the CTRL key and then hit the "H" key and then you have to scroll down through all the sites you've visited and you actually have to read the titles because guessing doesn't work so reliably and then you have to click on a link - whew, I'm getting fatiqued just thinking about it...