PDA

View Full Version : K3 GSXR 1000 Tyre Size

The Stranger
9th August 2006, 19:52
The std rear tyre for the K3 GSXR 1000 is supposedly a 190/50.

Would I notice any detrimental effects if I go to a 180/55?

Dafe
9th August 2006, 20:00
Hey dude,

I did a switch from a 190 to a 180 on my K6. The 190 being stock.

I noticed that the 180 gave the bike a huge amount of more turnability.
However, It's a trade off. You are trading contact patch for maneuverability.
I thought the transition to the 180's was the way to go, I was stoked with the bikes faster handling, amazing.

I also had an accident at Manfield on the 180's, where I lost control of the back end.
Perhaps the reduced contact patch resulted in my loss of traction.

After that, I decided to put a 190 back on my bike.
This time, I felt like it was fantastic. I noticed the bike is heaps more stable.
I also like knowing I have that extra traction. Wheelies are shitloads easier on a 190 tyre too.
As far as the cornering, I don't feel like I'm any less capable of taking a turn, I'm just being more decisive now and the bike still goes where I want it too. I feel sure I can turn as sharp too. I just can't flick it over as quick as on the 180's.

So to sum up, A switch to a 180 is an interesting experience. For me, I'm sold on sticking with a 190 now. An easy decision in my eyes. Traction & stability takes an easy win over flick-ability!

saul
9th August 2006, 20:19

Hi CaN

I have always run the 180/55 and thought that all was well and was happy with my turn in.

I recently decided to go to a Diablo Corsa 190/50 to get my bike back to stock as I was mucking around with my suspension etc.

To cut to the chase it was a little slower turning in so I dropped the front 5mm and I am very pleased. Did a track day as well (as that is what I was preparing for), It was fantastic:blip: :innocent:Well I thought so:nya:

Turtle
9th August 2006, 20:45

At the end of the day when you think how many thousands of dollars Suzuki Japan have spent on research & testing to decide what tyres & other components are going to suit this bike best I think sticking to standard would be the better option.

Crazy Steve
9th August 2006, 20:56
Ive gotta 130 on the rear of mine...

And it seems to work fine...:scooter:

Crazy Steve..

cowpoos
9th August 2006, 21:40
get a 190/55.....best of both worlds....PM loose bruce he has some for sale....

The Stranger
9th August 2006, 22:43
At the end of the day when you think how many thousands of dollars Suzuki Japan have spent on research & testing to decide what tyres & other components are going to suit this bike best I think sticking to standard would be the better option.

Ah, the marketers dream. Putty in their hands.

kiwifruit
9th August 2006, 22:45
Whatever you get make sure you pop the old one :yes:

DMNTD
9th August 2006, 22:51
If at all possible get one of them ones I's tell ya! Turns in like a 180/55 but with far more contact area. My ZX came out with them and if I could afford to I'd run them instead of my 190/50 Pilot Powers
Tried a 180/55 on my old K4 1000 and found myself riding off the side of the tyre which isn't cool...believe me :shutup:

cowpoos
10th August 2006, 10:46
If at all possible get one of them ones I's tell ya! Turns in like a 180/55 but with far more contact area. My ZX came out with them and if I could afford to I'd run them instead of my 190/50 Pilot Powers
Tried a 180/55 on my old K4 1000 and found myself riding off the side of the tyre which isn't cool...believe me :shutup:
pirelli super corsa pro....sell them and list them....dunlop have them..... michelin will have them shortly.....

Gremlin
10th August 2006, 15:05
I'd agree with poos...

its pretty obvious (excluding actual profile of each tyre) that the 180 is going to be more flickable, being a 55, not a 50. Getting the 190 will give you the bigger contact patch... so go for the best of both worlds.

If the 190/55 doesn't give you enough, then you could even try 190/60 s... not sure on availability tho.

The Stranger
10th August 2006, 15:31
Are you confused?
I know I am.

Is not the second figure the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the tyre width?

So the standard tyre is a 190/50, what advantage is the 190/55 or 190/60 going to give me?

Gremlin
10th August 2006, 15:42
Is not the second figure the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the tyre width?

So the standard tyre is a 190/50, what advantage is the 190/55 or 190/60 going to give me?
answer is in there... :D

the tyre, to a certain degree, is more round, rather than flat. Then again, some tyres have a more triangular shape to them, which alters the handling again.

With less of the total tyre width on the ground at one time, it means that the tyre will start moving onto its side faster (which is a smaller circumference - which means you're leaning).

This means that you transition from flat to edge faster, meaning its more flickable...

did I make any sense?? :thud:

The Stranger
10th August 2006, 16:10
Yeah, but what effect is a taller side wall going to have, other than in theory less lateral stability?

saul
10th August 2006, 20:08
Yeah, but what effect is a taller side wall going to have, other than in theory less lateral stability?

Tank slappers if you havent got your suspension sorted:yes:

Kornholio
10th August 2006, 21:10
Tank slappers if you havent got your suspension sorted:yes:

I do love a good slapping :D

saul
10th August 2006, 21:43
I do love a good slapping :D

Oooo how droll, bastard Korn:nya: :innocent: :yes:

Gremlin
11th August 2006, 11:17
Like everything, pros and cons.

Less lateral stability is good and bad. It lets you change direction faster (flickability) but as saul said, it means you *can* be more prone to tank slappers.

If your bike is ultra-stable (like a zx7r, running on 190/50) I very seldom get slappers (unless I really provoke it like hell) but it means I have a lot of hard work in the twisties, literally muscling the bike through corners.