PDA

View Full Version : Donington Park Track Day

lee
10th August 2006, 06:55
Thought I'd share another little nugget with you. Did donington on Monday. Its such a brilliant track and I have done it a few times already. But its one of those places where you spend the whole time pretending you're a GP God and don't really think about your riding. Every time I go down craner curves I think I'm valentino rossi (although being on a gixxer, I do have a better bike!!! but being me, do not have anywhere near the talent, money or good looks). Anyway, track day was fine and it was probably the last time I would do donington before joining you all on the other side of the world.

The drive home was a different matter. Basically travelling at about 65kph (getting used to the new speed measurement). The front strap holding my bike on the trailer burst its stitching and my bike rather ungraciously did a sideways dismount off the trailer. Not only did this surprise me, but my girlfriend following in the vehicle behind nearly crapped herself. Now my (2 month old) beautiful gixxer has a huge crack down the LH fairing. I'm now persuing the company that made the straps for the damage to the bike as the straps were brand new and only used twice. Over in the UK we have the sales of goods act which states an item has to be fit for intended purpose, which this clearly wasn't. Do you have anything like that over there?

Aside from the damage to the bike (which can always be repaired) heres the really bad bit. This happend in rush hour on a busy single carraigeway road. Traffic has now backed up for miles. DO you think anyone got out of their cars and helped me lift my stricken bike out of the way? Oh no the selfish b*stards thought it would much more helpful to sit in their cars and beep their horns!! I can't wait to leave this balls of a country, people here suck. More certain every day that coming to NZ is the best decision I have ever made. Role on the new year.

Still I will miss donington, what a beautiful place.

Fat Tony
10th August 2006, 07:20
DO you think anyone got out of their cars and helped me lift my stricken bike out of the way? Oh no the selfish b*stards thought it would much more helpful to sit in their cars and beep their horns!! I can't wait to leave this balls of a country, people here suck.

You and me both mate - I've had 40 years of it, lol

Donington's one of the best tracks in the country - huge fun - and as you say craner curves are just awesome :) Cadwell's the other jewel in the crown for me - highly recommended

Gutted to hear about the mishap with the trailer straps - how f***ing annoying?!

limbimtimwim
10th August 2006, 07:22
Do you have anything like that over there?..In spades.
I can't wait to leave this balls of a country, people here suck. More certain every day that coming to NZ is the best decision I have ever made.I would help. Most non-Aucklanders would help. Maybe some Aucklanders would help too, if they were actually from somewhere else.

Are you *moving* to Ohakea?

Postie
10th August 2006, 09:29
Every time I go down craner curves I think I'm valentino rossi (although being on a gixxer, I do have a better bike!!!

I wonder if John Hopkins and Chris Vermeulen would agree with you ???

Totally sucks about the straps breaking on you and the rat race being helpful enough to provide you with a car horn symphony. The laws in NZ are plenty different from the UK, and in a situation like that, if it happened here, you would most likely have to claim it through your insurance and lose your no claims bonus, its not right but that’s NZ, just keeping shit simple

forkoil
10th August 2006, 13:23
Not acrually true about NZ law. Here we do have consumer protection laws prob v. similar. The Consumer Guarantees Act provides nearly the same I imageine as the UK law. In effect it provides for remedies that enforce the retailer to satisfy, so they cant pass it back to the manufacturer.

Take no notice of the Aucklanders wont help crap. Just the rest of the countrys got such a huge chip, they like to poke it at Akl all the time. Same NZers in Akl as anywhere else

limbimtimwim
10th August 2006, 13:43
Take no notice of the Aucklanders wont help crap. Just the rest of the countrys got such a huge chip, they like to poke it at Akl all the time. Same NZers in Akl as anywhere else:) :) :) Hook, line, sinker etc :) :) :)

McJim
10th August 2006, 14:14
Congrats on deciding to make the move to NZ - did you have to fill out the forms or did you take the fast-rack like I did? (go to London, visit Red Back Tavern, pull kiwi girl, get married and emigrate).

NZ has it's advantages but there will be some things that catch you by surprise when you get here.

A strictly enforced speed limit of 62.5 mph for example!

lee
13th August 2006, 00:53
NO forms filled out as yet, the RNZAF haven't hit me with too much in one go, they're bringing me over and I've got the minimum of forms. They are in fairness being really good about everything and are helping with quite a bit of stuff that I would have to sort if I came over by myself. Hopefully the bike will be ship shape and in good condition by the time I get over so ~I will be able to get it straight off the boat and go for a ride.

Strange to see a gixer only trackday happening over there. Is that in recognition of them being the best bikes???

Blue and white ones are fastest.

emaN
26th August 2006, 20:28
NO forms filled out as yet, the RNZAF haven't hit me with too much in one go, they're bringing me over .

have we still got an airborne military force?

welcome lee - hope you enjoy it when you get here.

plenty to frustrate you, but you'll be right. give it at least 8mths; that's how long i gave London before deciding to stick around there another 4yrs!

sAsLEX
26th August 2006, 20:41
have we still got an airborne military force?

welcome lee - hope you enjoy it when you get here.

plenty to frustrate you, but you'll be right. give it at least 8mths; that's how long i gave London before deciding to stick around there another 4yrs!

Yes the NAVY has our Airbourne strike wing of Helicopters with missiles!

What you flying have mates in the whirly birds and also on the Orions, though I am in the puss.