PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Scooter advice from peeps in the know.

wethree
11th August 2006, 00:00
Hi all,

I'm a new member, and am hoping to get some advice on buying my first scooter. Yay!

I need a vehicle to get to work and back, and to generally cruise around on, and I decided a scooter was the way to go. I'm looking to spend around 2G, and wish I could afford something more than that but sadly I can't. Yet anyway... It is my first after all.

I don't have a motorcycle license, so looking for one under 50cc. Also looking for something big enough to be able to take my girlfriend on the back (although still unsure what the rules are in NZ surrounding this).

I live in Wellington, so will need to tackle some hills sometimes.

I have looked around a bit, and think I have narrowed it down to either a Yamaha Jog or a Hyosung (I think it's a Hyosung Super Cab ?).

If anyone can offer an advice/info on either of these scoot's, or any other recommendations that would be appreciated!

Thanks! :)

NSR-Dan
11th August 2006, 00:30
Hi all,

I'm a new member, and am hoping to get some advice on buying my first scooter. Yay!

I need a vehicle to get to work and back, and to generally cruise around on, and I decided a scooter was the way to go. I'm looking to spend around 2G, and wish I could afford something more than that but sadly I can't. Yet anyway... It is my first after all.

I don't have a motorcycle license, so looking for one under 50cc. Also looking for something big enough to be able to take my girlfriend on the back (although still unsure what the rules are in NZ surrounding this).

I have looked around a bit, and think I have narrowed it down to either a Yamaha Jog or a Hyosung (I think it's a Hyosung Super Cab ?).

If anyone can offer an advice/info on either of these scoot's, or any other recommendations that would be appreciated!

i sell scooters, so i will try and help.

if your looking at long time riding you should get something cheep, and save money for a bigger bike once you have your license. riding with a pillion is not usually recomended on a 50cc as by law to qualify as a moped there not allowed to exceed more than 2kw and since most are made with this amount of power, carring capacity varies between 80-100kg, also you will find with a pillion there much harder to manouver, and can be dangerous when you need the acceleration to get out of that car that didnt see you situation which will happen.

if you need any other help my email is daniel@dsracing.co.nz

Zapf
11th August 2006, 00:36
I would really advice you strongly consider getting a motorcycle license and then look at something with a few more cc's

As you'll learn some riding skills and also have some more oompf to get out of danger

carver
11th August 2006, 11:40
if all you want is a 50cc scooter....
buy the yamaha!!!!!!

from my exp, it has the best brakes (can stoppie:gob: ), best acceleration, best ergonomics, and decent storage space.
the honda today is better on gas though.
for the record, my g/f has the honda :blip: , my bro has the yamaha :rockon: , and my friend has the rusty crappy suzuki.:sick:

Morcs
11th August 2006, 22:02
Buy European.

I know they cost more, but they are much better, hold their value, and have got the parts backup too now.

All the Japanese scooters ive seen in NZ look like complete crap, most of which are 4 strokes - come on, whats the point of a 50cc 4t?!?

Would strongly recommend the new Gilera runner 200VXR.

degrom
11th August 2006, 22:11
Hi all,

Welcome to KB(KiwiBiker)....

Yes... There are a few tight hills in Wellington. But then again they are all over NZ.

What is the price difference and warranties?
Hyosung has had a change in attitude in the last few years and they are really trying their best to improve and better their products. You might get a better buck for bike deal with the Hyosung.
The Jog cool... Very light on gass!!!

Have you test driven them?
Best is to go and test drive them. You might find that the one is more comfortable and that could be a decision maker.

Good luck and please let us know what you decided on and what you think about the new bike.

crazybigal
11th August 2006, 22:19
DONT get one of those suzuki sj scooters! i got one for my girlfriend and it was a heap of shit! death machine! i sold the fucker cos i didt trust the thing.
i hear the yamaha is ok, or maybe the honda beat but they are all overpriced!
just get a secondhand one, you will want a real bike sooner than you think!

Colapop
11th August 2006, 22:34
Do you want to 'move up' to a bigger bike? How heavy are you? What sort of getting around are you planning on doing?

Scooters are really good if you use them for what they're designed for - mainly commuting in the city. If you're a large person, say 90+kgs then forget it. There aren't many if any 50cc scooters that will have enough grunt to get you around Wellington hills without rooting the engine pretty quickly. If you're planning to commute from Wellington to Upper Hutt then you may want to consider a larger bike or scooter (125cc perhaps). I would suggest you do a basic handling skills course that'll give you some idea of skills that you'll need on a bike (of any sort)

Good luck in your search.

texmo
12th August 2006, 02:57
like morcs said get a runner but get an older two stroke one. I sold mine for $1500 it was a 2001 with 20,000kms and its still going strong.

WINJA
12th August 2006, 17:26
get a street magic , ive had mine since 99 its been real reliable it has good parts back up which is important ,you dont wanna get a hyosung or chinese piece of shit then be waiting 6 months for parts to turn up , ive had 3 people on mine at the same time and we are all well over 100kg, also check out my profile pic for an example of how to ride a scooter.

Street Gerbil
12th August 2006, 22:20
a) Sorry, but if I remember correctly, you are not allowed to carry a pillion passenger on a moped. Besides, 50cc is only 3 cubic inches. That's slightly more than a roll of 35mm film. You cannot safely push 2 adults through the traffic with this kind of power.

b) I second what Winja said about Street Magic. This thing absolutely rules. I use it for commuting for half year and they are absolutely great. This thing is so powerful that right off the factory it is on verge of being illegal. Replace stock CDI with Daytona Racing and it will easily go at 65kph (much safer than legal 50 in Auckland traffic if you ask me). Besides, once you'll get your learners license you can get yourself a 50->110cc conversion kit bringing the top speed close to 100kph.

davereid
13th August 2006, 15:39
OAs you only have a car licence you are limited to a 50cc with 2kw manufacturer power rating.

Get a two stroke with a known dealer chain - ie for chinese choose Lifan / Hyosung / TGB or a known jappa / euro brand if money is not an important part of the purchase.

(If you buy from trademe or where ever and it breaks down, you will go mad looking for parts - a lot of the scooter sold on trade me don't even have a brand name, and the sellers should be hung.)

Lots of the 50 cc scooters have passenger footpegs, this means they are legal for a passenger, even if very short on power.

Most two strokes are easily modded to get more power - they normally need the exhaust drilled out and the CDi modded to remove artificially low rpm limitations. Some times the transmission is fittted with a washer to stop it reaching top gear, it takes 10 minutes to fix.

Once derestricted your two stroke scooter will be fine, even on hills.

http://www.chinesescooterclub.co.uk/technical_docs/baotain_derestrict2.pdf

Will give you an idea of whats got to be done - most of the two strokes from asia are similar.

Note that if you derestrict it and make it greater than 2kw or faster than 50km/hr you should relicense it, and yourself as its now a motorcycle....

NSR-Dan
13th August 2006, 22:39
OAs you only have a car licence you are limited to a 50cc with 2kw manufacturer power rating.

A learner licence says you can legaly ride a moped. A moped is classed as 50cc and less and no more than 2kw, If the scooter is more thatn 50cc or 2kw its not classed as a moped and will require higher regerstration costs and a WOF

Lots of the 50 cc scooters have passenger footpegs, this means they are legal for a passenger, even if very short on power.

Regardless if the vehicle has pegs for passengers (nothing is manufactured in NZ) there are laws in the country stating you cannot ride pillion on a moped.

also riding pillion would wear the engine out as its not big enough to handle that kind of weight, Warrenties on the engine would be void if it was found the engine broke down due to stress.

oh and its not wise to play with the carbs on a 2 stroke if you dont know what your doin. run to lean you will blow the engine. if to rich the engine will run like shit

wethree
14th August 2006, 10:47
Wow thanks everybody for such a great response.

I am very keen to sit my license and later get a bigger bike, but I guess a 50cc is just an intermediate step (aside from the fact that I need a mode of transport like, now!) hahaha.

I have since learnt that carrying a passenger on a moped isn't a good idea, and thanks to those who told me a few things regarding that.

I'm just a wee girl, pretty light, who needs to get across town, so a 50cc will suffice for now. I decided on the Yamaha Jog, and am picking it up this afternoon. I'm sure I will love it!

Thanks again for all your advice :)
PS. Big thanks to carver, your post helped!

davereid
14th August 2006, 11:57
Good luck with your new scooter.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html may help.

- note you DONT need a learners licence, ANY valid NZ licence is good enough for a moped.

- and you CAN take passengers as long as the moped has footpegs for them.

Monolith NZ
17th April 2007, 01:05
i searched and searched and wanted to spend around 2K aswell. I believe the yamaha Jog is the best value for money. Quick, reliable, comfy, and best of all safe.

delusionz
22nd April 2007, 18:58
Hi, I've tried to carry passengers on scooters and it does not work, makes u tilt too much.. ive seen vespas carry passengers but they are solid metal and have 70cc+ motors so they need motorcycle license to drive. I strongly advise against carrying a pillion on a 50cc scooter unless you want to kill 2 people. Get a motorbike, something like a suzuki gn250 you can pick up for around 2 grand they are light and easy to ride. I've had scooters for some time now they are bloody frustrating with their slow acceleration and low top speed, they might be all good and fun in the first week but you'll want to throw it out straight after anyways

MisterD
24th April 2007, 08:19
So what Delusionz is saying, is that if you want to go 2-up get a motorbike licence and a bigger capacity...don't dismiss scooters, I'd have a Vespa GT over a GN any day of the week.

Anyhoo, it's pretty easy to get a 50cc Vespa ET2/LX2 and stick a Malossi 70cc kit on it...with no outward sign that it isn't a "moped"...if you like that small bike style obviously, you'd have to register it as a motorbike, now wouldn't you?

Ixion
25th April 2007, 11:12
The OP asked for advice and informative comment. Not a flame war. Which has been moved y'all know where. Infractions for any repetition. Keep it seemly folks.

ICE180
25th April 2007, 14:05
I had a gilera Ice with a derestricted pipe and that was fine two up
And yes I am a fat bastard and the wife is small so about 150kg on a scoot and it was fine but the ice was built like a brick sh#t house

What ever you look at mke sure you have a disc front Break as the hills in welly might burn out a drum quickly with all the heat bulid up and give you some break fade which is not a nice thing

quattrocchi
18th June 2007, 15:28
... What ever you look at mke sure you have a disc front Break as the hills in welly might burn out a drum quickly with all the heat bulid up and give you some break fade which is not a nice thing

Excell point. Which ones have a front disc then? My son-in-law is looking for a 50cc commuter and I know nothing of current models - just reading this thread from a while ago has helped a bit.

I wonder whether larger wheels, than the suzuki sj and that 'vespa' type, would be another thing to look for. I'd hate those little wheels.

brian

MisterD
18th June 2007, 16:58
I wonder whether larger wheels, than the suzuki sj and that 'vespa' type, would be another thing to look for. I'd hate those little wheels.

brian

Well Vespa's GT has slightly bigger (12" vs 10") wheels or you could chuck style completely out of the window and get a Piaggio Liberty, but why anyone would ride something named after a feminie hygiene product is beyond me...

The Wop
18th June 2007, 19:42
Excell point. Which ones have a front disc then? My son-in-law is looking for a 50cc commuter and I know nothing of current models - just reading this thread from a while ago has helped a bit.

brian
The Vespa 50 range, either the LX50 new or the ET50 (you usually see a few on Trademe) have front disk brakes and I have carried a pillion safely on one. It doesn't fly but is safe enough. You can also ride those, with a pillion, without a license.

davereid
19th June 2007, 10:39
There are lots of great 50cc commuter scooters out there. The Europeans ie Vespa, Piaggio, and Peugeot make great bikes. Most of the Taiwanese brands are great too, ie Sym, TGB. (Just avoid Chinese.)
My TGB is fine at 50km/hr two-up, and I'm a hefty lad. It will cope with most hills, and has the advantage of cheap rego and no WOFs. I regularly ride mine from Levin to Shannon, it copes fine. If you need to go faster than 50-60, then you are in motorcycle country. Plenty of scooters there too, most decent 125s are fine at motorway speeds.

UberRhys
19th June 2007, 11:31
So what Delusionz is saying, is that if you want to go 2-up get a motorbike licence and a bigger capacity...don't dismiss scooters, I'd have a Vespa GT over a GN any day of the week.

Anyhoo, it's pretty easy to get a 50cc Vespa ET2/LX2 and stick a Malossi 70cc kit on it...with no outward sign that it isn't a "moped"...if you like that small bike style obviously, you'd have to register it as a motorbike, now wouldn't you?

I agree, my GT goes much better then a GN250 everyday. My mate has a GN and on rides with him I always find him in my mirrors.

Dodger
19th June 2007, 12:31
I've carried a pillion on my 50cc Chinese crappy.
and it was fine...ish

Speed slowed to around 50kph on the flat, and it scrapes the sidestand on corners but other than that ok for the odd short trip.:scooter:

AnotherLeon
26th June 2007, 17:03
Thread revival!

Hi, newbie here... I'm in much the same boat as the original poster. I'm after a 50cc for commuting to work in Wellington, due to pay and display parking suddenly arriving outside my work.

I'm deliberately looking for a 50cc rather than planning to upgrade to a "real" motorbike. While I can appreciate that people have a passion for the better scooters, I’ve got a budget of only $2k and I want new for the warranty and lack of worries.

I took a long lunch today, and from the shops I visited (looking suitably naive) today I'd probably be looking to narrow it down from the following three options.

1) Hyosung SB50
2) Suzuki AZ50
3) Yamaha Jog

Hyosung I’m a bit nervous about buying a Korean bike, but it’s a funky colour, the salesman was an absolute legend, they do free pick up and delivery for servicing (useful because they're in the Hutt and I'm in Johnsonville), and they give you 10% off anything else in the shop you buy for as long as you keep the bike (useful as I will need helmet, gloves and possibly a luggage box for the back for rain gear). Great sales pitch, probably the best I've seen anywhere by anyone.

Suzuki, looked decent enough. Salesman was good, reckoned this lot of scooters out of Japan was the best they’ve sold in ages, and better than their previous Suzuki scooters which were apparently sold elsewhere.

Yamaha Jog, looked decent enough. Salesman was indifferent, and really was trying to shove their Sym (I think) brand scooters down my throat, despite my stated repeated preference for the more well known brand name.

To be honest, after the other two guys, the Yamaha salesman really didn’t have much to offer, so if I bought the Yamaha it would be on the strength of the product not the shop.

I’m a fairly solid sort of a chap at 90kg, so the Honda four stroke was right out, otherwise I wouldn’t get up the hill on the way home (but again, I’ve been down the 125 and 250cc bike path, and I’m wanting to stay in the 50cc for cheaper reg and of course not being interested in re-sitting my long gone bike licence).

With the three options … what does the combined wisdom reckon?

Pretty much my intention is to “uncork it” for a bit more oomph, then just trundle about 8km in each direction five days a week. Figuring spending $2000 + onroad and getting an asset is better than dropping $1500/year on on street parking that I have to fight for every day. With a scooter, I can park it inside at work, and it can live in front of the car in the garage at home.

The Wop
26th June 2007, 21:19
Hi there, I guess that the only advice I can give to you re the sales pitch is that you tend to live with the scooter longer than with the salesman. Also, if you like the scoot, but not the salesdude, go somewhere else. You can buy a Jog just about anywhere.

As for which scoot? I cannot comment as have a preference for Vespa and have not ridden these but have certainly not heard anything bad about any of the ones you listed. They all have warranties, so you have little risk.

AnotherLeon
26th June 2007, 21:25
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if I'd stumbled onto the Marie Celeste here for a while.

I was admiring the sales technique in part ... but ... also the Hyosung dealer did free pick up and delivery for servicing, and also 10% discount on everything in store. Which is a nice bonus.

You're correct though, I'm only going to be dealing with the sales guy the once.

Really I'm looking for somebody to reassure me that I don't need my head read for looking at some brand name I've never heard of until lunchtime today.

Otherwise I'll go for either the Jog or the Suzuki.

davereid
28th June 2007, 14:49
Ride a TGB or a Speedfight II before you make your decision !

AnotherLeon
28th June 2007, 15:03
Ride a TGB or a Speedfight II before you make your decision !

Why?

Are they outstandingly good, or outstandingly bad?

Also, are these make, or model names?

davereid
28th June 2007, 15:07
The Speedfight II is made by Peugeot - its a good quality european, gives you a feel for what a scooter should feel like.

TGB is a budget asian bike, but at the top of the food chain quality wise.

If you have ridden those two, then you have a good place for comparison of other brands.

Cheeky Hobson
29th June 2007, 18:18
I rode LOADS of bikes in my quest for getting the best commuter scooter for me.

Being a light-weight and a vertically challenged chicky I found that I couldnt touch the ground when sitting on most scoots!! Yes, haha.

In the end I bought a Yamaha Jog and not only was it perfect for short legs, it has more than surprised me with zippy-ness and fuel economy - 120km and just over 1/2 tank. Did I mention fun?

So, my 2 cents for the best scooter under $2K would be the Jog.

Good luck!

:scooter:

AnotherLeon
29th June 2007, 19:54
Being a light-weight and a vertically challenged chicky I found that I couldnt touch the ground when sitting on most scoots!! Yes, haha.

To say I don't have that problem would be a slight understatement, being a moderately tall chap, and not really a bantamweight.

Well there's a 2004 Hyosang Rally (the one with the big wheels, worth $2600+ new) with about 3000km on the clock for $1600 including two skid lids, but it is still restricted. Apparently around $150 to remove all limiting.

2006 Hyosang Rally with under 300km on the clock with no speed cut for $2000 Tempting, because it hasn't even had a tank of gas through it, and is basically as new.
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/47/42610647_full.jpg

2005 Hyosang Rally 3000km again, no speed cut $1300 but it's in Auckland (how the hell do I get it to Welly without breaking the bank?)
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/45/43079445_full.jpg

2001 Yamaha Jog with mods for $1500 that apparently goes like a cut cat
from "Scootling" http://www.scootling.co.nz/scooter_sales.html
http://www.scootling.co.nz/images/sales/aprio_black_scooter.jpg

These are also in the melting pot also. I've got more interested in the Hyo Rally, and less interested in the Hyo Super Cab just on appearances, and the bigger wheels on the Rally.

In my eyes, the Rally looks really good, while the super fast Jog mentioned above looks really (really) dated, but is probably mechanically the most fun.

Man, can I not make a decision to save my life.

The brand new Hyosang Cab, or Yamaha, or Suzuki scooter option will set me back
$2000 + $170 onroad costs.
Assume also helmet and glove purchase required. Which is where the speed limited 2004 Hyo is not a bad option, as the helmet being included offsets the cost of the speed cut removal. So really it's going to be a $1750 value scooter to me, plus it's close enough to collect on a trailer easily enough.

AnotherLeon
30th June 2007, 20:55
Suzuki SJ50QT any good?

One registered last year, but has only done 100km.

Derestricted and with a luggage box

delusionz
2nd July 2007, 23:48
Suzuki SJ50QT any good?

One registered last year, but has only done 100km.

Derestricted and with a luggage box

They're zippy little things those, quite on the fast side for (50cc) scooters, Has a lower top speed than some of the others, but that power is put into acceleration. Felt alot nicer than other scooters I've ridden.

AnotherLeon
3rd July 2007, 08:40
Good to hear, because I now own it :)

mbazza
16th August 2007, 21:40
Go for any named 50cc twist and go but remeber, they have no acceleration, they wobble on corners and other road users just DO NOT SEE you so be visable. Enjoy your scoot. I do! Cheers.:scooter:

Scooter Girl
5th September 2007, 19:00
Hello everyone

I'm a new member here and am thinking about purchasing a scooter and need some advice. I currently ride a bicycle and am looking to upgrade for those longer trips and wet days.

I don't know much about scooters, other than that you need a car license for a 50cc and a bit about 2 and 4 strokes. Can anyone give me some advice as to what would be a good scooter for a 'newbie'? What do I need to look out for when purchasing? I want something with a lot of storage space as I tend to lug around a lot of stuff. I also need something that can handle hills, as Tauranga has a fair few of them. I'm also a bit worried about having an accident or falling off, as cycling is a lot more controlled. I have a learners license, but can't drive a car. I've had some experience driving tractors and ATV's though. Thought this would be a good place to post, since two similar posts are in here already!

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

texmo
10th September 2007, 22:40
Go for a brand you know ie Vespa, yamaha, suzuki ect... Get a two stroke as they put out more power than a four. As for storage space most are compatiable with a top box and you can fit another bag in between the leg sheilds. Try get a scooter with a disc front brake it will stop you from hitting things.