PDA

View Full Version : 1974 ? Suzuki FR50

Scooterhooter
11th August 2006, 08:18
I have just purchased a 1974 Suzuki FR50 scooter, it starts first kick but as soon as you put into gear it lurches forward :angry: & stalls the motor, I have pushed it forward & then put it into gear & every thing is OK from then on, can anyone help me with this problem or can I buy a service manual for it, I await any help.:scooter: :bye:

Flyingpony
11th August 2006, 09:00
That's the one with an auto clutch?

Used to run a honda CT90 and they tend to lurch a bit when engaging gear. It's quite possible that the engine is worn out and therefore stalls. Another possibility is that the autoclutch itself is worn or the springs within it are broken, but you say it runs fine afterwards, the clutch must therefore just be sticking.

Have you changed the oil?

Might need to take the clutch out and give it a clean.

bungbung
11th August 2006, 09:19
Thats the 3spd with centrifugal clutch. The clutch sounds like it is stuck in engagement. If you engage a gear with the motor stopped, can you turn the back wheel easily by hand? if not, then the clutch would most likely be the problem.

Scooterhooter
11th August 2006, 09:41
Hi & thanks for the quick reply, yes it is the 3speed & yes you can turn the back wheel easly when engin is not going & it is in gear, the oil has been changed but no improvment, I might give it a good run to heat every thing up & see what happens.
Regards Frank.

bungbung
11th August 2006, 10:17
If your idle speed is too high, the clutch will engage slightly making the lurch when you put it into gear. If you give it a few revs can you get into gear and get moving without it stalling? maybe it is a mixture problem making it bog down just off idle.

Motu
11th August 2006, 11:08
My Honda C50 used to do that - I used the gearlever as a foot clutch for years.Try holding your foot on the lever after it has gone into gear,that keeps the clutch disengaged.If it only happens the once after sitting for awhile I'd say the plates are sticking,you'll need to strip and clean them.