PDA

View Full Version : More grunt needed...

scumdog
11th August 2006, 09:19
My 'new' T-Sport is a good handling comfy cruiser BUT my 1200 Sporty will "whup its ass" (sorry Mr H) in acceleration and top speed. (apparently) and want to know if anybody on KB has done anything themselves to a 88 motor to get it to perform better? - and if so exactly what did you do?

Usual 'helpful' info will be noted for future pay-back.

Finn
11th August 2006, 09:23
My 'new' T-Sport is a good handling comfy cruiser BUT my 1200 Sporty will "whup its ass" (sorry Mr H) in acceleration and top speed. (apparently) and want to know if anybody on KB has done anything themselves to a 88 motor to get it to perform better? - and if so exactly what did you do?

Er Scumdog, with a town/city speed limit of 50 and an open road limit of 100, do you really need the extra power? Surely you're not intending to break the law.

spudchucka
11th August 2006, 09:25
Saw one with NOS recently, it looked like it could be a bit of fun.

scumdog
11th August 2006, 09:25
Hell no Finn!
For 'closed road and track use only'

Motu
11th August 2006, 09:26
I bet it would go faster with me riding it.....something to do with excess loading on the seat cushion I'd say....

scumdog
11th August 2006, 09:26
Saw one with NOS recently, it looked like it could be a bit of fun.

Nah, want it 'anytime, anywhere, all the time'

Lou Girardin
11th August 2006, 10:38
High flow air cleaner, dynojet kit, debaffle or after market pipes. Cam perhaps.
Or a 95ci kit.

cowpoos
11th August 2006, 10:53
need more grunt.....strap a large boar on ya pillion seat!!! the smell alone [on top of yours] will stop people over taking you!

scumdog
11th August 2006, 11:13
I bet it would go faster with me riding it.....something to do with excess loading on the seat cushion I'd say....

Alas, same load on both bikes but differing result performance-wise.

scumdog
11th August 2006, 11:15
High flow air cleaner, dynojet kit, debaffle or after market pipes. Cam perhaps.
Or a 95ci kit.

Approx. prices for airfilter and jetting? The zorst is getting 'fixed' as we speak.

And can you really notice the difference?

PS Is there any built-in factory restriction in the intake that you know of Lou?, I've heard that some H-Ds came that way.

**R1**
11th August 2006, 11:45
Swap engines??

Squeak the Rat
11th August 2006, 11:48
Swap engines??
Yeah, 88 is fairly old. Get something 2000 onwards :killingme

terbang
11th August 2006, 11:56
Must be stacks of stuff out there for HD's to make em go better. Google it. If you have two then save your money, use one for fanging it (on private roads of course) and the other for cruising around. You could always sell one and get a Busa or ZX-14 if you really want some grunt.

Lou Girardin
11th August 2006, 12:17
Approx. prices for airfilter and jetting? The zorst is getting 'fixed' as we speak.

And can you really notice the difference?

PS Is there any built-in factory restriction in the intake that you know of Lou?, I've heard that some H-Ds came that way.

50% increase. PM sent.

Dooly
11th August 2006, 13:21
Interesting,
I'm toying with the idea of buying a 'cruiser' type bike to compliment my VTR1000.

The Harley Sporty 1200 came to mind as I dont like the look of any other cruisers, and the big Harleys seem slow and cumbersome, well the ones I've ridden.

Scumdog would you say the Sporty is good to chuck around a bit and has plenty of poke for a cruiser?

BeakerRAT
11th August 2006, 13:27
50% increase. PM sent.

Bloody hell 50% increase! Must come out of the factory with a 'nana' state of tune. :gob:

scumdog
11th August 2006, 16:40
Bloody hell 50% increase! Must come out of the factory with a 'nana' state of tune. :gob:

They do, grossly understressed and lazy from the factory.

kiwifruit
11th August 2006, 16:45
and top speed. (apparently)

hehe :lol: love it

Lou Girardin
11th August 2006, 16:46
They do, grossly understressed and lazy from the factory.

And some come out comatose, tell 'em scummy.:zzzz:

Kickaha
11th August 2006, 21:09
50% increase.

50% of nothing is still nothing :bleh: I'll lend you my Bucket motor, that should double the HP

12th August 2006, 09:13
I would just do the 95" kit, I have seen the barrels and pistons go for cheap on ebay.

WINJA
12th August 2006, 17:12

YOU NEED A 'HARLEYBUSA' DONT YA PIG,JUST SHOE HORN A HAYABUSA MOTOR INTO THAT LEAD PIPE FRAME

scumdog
13th August 2006, 04:20
YOU NEED A 'HARLEYBUSA' DONT YA PIG,JUST SHOE HORN A HAYABUSA MOTOR INTO THAT LEAD PIPE FRAME

Ah, when I'm old and broke I might think of it. (pffft!)

Until then I'll stick to genyouwine Harley parts.

Robbo
13th August 2006, 08:44
Hey Scumdog. Sell the HD and get a Bonnie, that way you will not only still look cool but you will go faster and can actually get around corners.

Cheers

scumdog
13th August 2006, 11:47
Hey Scumdog. Sell the HD and get a Bonnie, that way you will not only still look cool but you will go faster and can actually get around corners.

Cheers

Next thing somebody is going to say "Get a Jap bike" I suppose?

The T-Sport rides smoothly, corners well and get the thumbs-up from Chrissie-Bimbo for pillion comfort.:first:
Only item needing 'adjusting' is the grunt (or lack of) and I'll address that in time.:yes:

And what is cooler than a large H-D dripping with tassles?:wait:

terbang
13th August 2006, 11:58
Get a real V twin rather than a split single.

Robbo
13th August 2006, 14:15
Next thing somebody is going to say "Get a Jap bike" I suppose?

The T-Sport rides smoothly, corners well and get the thumbs-up from Chrissie-Bimbo for pillion comfort.:first:
Only item needing 'adjusting' is the grunt (or lack of) and I'll address that in time.:yes:

"Tassles" OMG Maybe we are going to see the patrol cars dressed in them also. Now that would be cool. We'd all be laughing so much that we probably would'nt be speeding.
Could be a new ploy to keep the road toll down. LOL

Cheers :innocent:

scumdog
13th August 2006, 15:45
"Tassles" OMG Maybe we are going to see the patrol cars dressed in them also. Now that would be cool. We'd all be laughing so much that we probably would'nt be speeding.
Could be a new ploy to keep the road toll down. LOL

Cheers :innocent:

Tassles are the motorbike equivalent of Billy Conolly 'wanker pants':yes:

miSTa
13th August 2006, 16:33

Nothing useful to add Mr SD sir, but a Harley and performance - I can smell an oxymoron ;) :innocent:

Kickaha
13th August 2006, 20:20

Everything :yes:

The_Dover
13th August 2006, 20:24

the surface of the sun?

followed closely by the core of a nuclear reactor.

scumdog
14th August 2006, 02:31
the surface of the sun?

followed closely by the core of a nuclear reactor.

"The jealousy will eat you up Grasshopper"

scumdog
14th August 2006, 02:33
Nothing useful to add Mr SD sir, but a Harley and performance - I can smell an oxymoron ;) :innocent:

YOU"ll keep, Mr Sensible ZZR/BMW identity crisis!!:nya:

Hailwood
15th August 2006, 13:19
SD I just had a screamin Eagle highflow air filter kit and SE11 mufflers fitted to the Softail. Havent ridden on open roads yet (damn weather) but there is a real noticeable difference in bottom end grunt..and the sound is superb!!!!

Bike shop suggested getting it dyno tuned as well but am saving up for that...

Would recommend the highflow and mufflers..especially since bike shop told me that there will be no more SE mufflers etc coming into the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troll
15th August 2006, 19:52
Your bike is obsolete

Harley have dropped the 88" and now have a 96" that can be bored out to 103"

Harley claim that they have put more development and time into this "new" motor than any previous motor

scumdog
20th August 2006, 21:51
SD I just had a screamin Eagle highflow air filter kit and SE11 mufflers fitted to the Softail. Havent ridden on open roads yet (damn weather) but there is a real noticeable difference in bottom end grunt..and the sound is superb!!!!

Bike shop suggested getting it dyno tuned as well but am saving up for that...

Would recommend the highflow and mufflers..especially since bike shop told me that there will be no more SE mufflers etc coming into the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks hailwood, just the sort of info I was after!

Question: Does anybody know if the stock airfilter base can be modified for increased airflow? the stock square inlet looks a little small imho, a few holes on the leading edge might help - (or so I think.)

07fatboy
25th August 2006, 19:38

yo scumdog, had 95 cube kit put in my 00 nighttrain SE2 pipes ,se211 cams ,arlen ness big sucker and SERT and peformance has risen 30% all round all i have to do is add som cnc,d heads then im in the 100+rwh region am pretty happy with these up grades and run with most late model ricers up top end

Go hard or Go home

Waylander
26th August 2006, 14:52
A Vmax smoking up the rear tyre as he passes you.

You could look at superchargers for your bike. Have seen a few in mags and on the net. Would add a high pitch whine to the sound though.

Flyingpony
28th August 2006, 12:41
Has done anything themselves to a 88 motor to get it to perform better?
Will these modifications remove that lovely distinct idle tune of the HD engine?
I hope not because that nice random idle thump thump of the engine is lovely to hear.

Fishy
28th August 2006, 12:46
Could always trade it on a Suzuki SJ50.

07fatboy
29th August 2006, 16:48
Thanks hailwood, just the sort of info I was after!

Question: Does anybody know if the stock airfilter base can be modified for increased airflow? the stock square inlet looks a little small imho, a few holes on the leading edge might help - (or so I think.)

I'm not sure but it couldnt hurt to try,being carby model shouldnt be hard to tune yourself mate,pay to ask local wrench to be sure...imfo should be free ,Good luck

Hailwood
31st August 2006, 21:47
[QUOTE=scumdog;725623]Thanks hailwood, just the sort of info I was after!

SD Finally managed to get out for a decent ride...the high flow kit and pipes make a huge difference on the open road...the bike is smoother, definitely feels like it has more power (seat of pants measurement) and damn it sounds great. I guess it makes all the difference now the bike can breath properly!!!!!

Would recommend this modification to all HD owners if you havent already done it.

Harleyman30
5th September 2006, 23:25
Dude, easy way is a Mikuni Carb, Vance and Hines Pro pipe 2-1, Se203 Cams, Big Sucker Airfilter from Mikuni, and Aftermarket Ignition. You will have all the power in the world, it will be reliable and will rev like a legend. As for the sound, well lets just say its un-fucking-believeable. Do it and you wont be dissapointed!!