PDA

View Full Version : Amplified '06: Napier

hXc
12th August 2006, 22:33
A few guys each year in Napier organise a concert with a couple of local up and coming bands and a couple of popular NZ bands. This was on last night and I got an all access pass for lending gear to the drummer of one band.

The night started at 8.00 with local punk/hardcore band, Implicit playing a 30 minute set. They've been together in their current line up for a year or so and are doing well. With an unprofessional garage sound, they have some room for improvements but have potential. A classic 4 piece with all members at one time or another singing. This gives it a full sound and helps to give variety. They played a killer set with a great cover of The Bleeders song, So Lonely. Great energy on stage despite some minor problems with sound and guitar straps.

At 8.50, the next local band, Tempo 38 rocked the stage. Have been around for 6 years or so in the Hawkes Bay underground hardcore scene. Current line-up for 8 months or so. These guys have a great sound and great stage presence. The crowd really got into their hard punk songs. With influences from Still Remains to Godsmack, their sound is unique. I've seen these guys improve over the last year and get tighter. Each time they play, they just get better.

Now at about 9.45, the first headline act, Deja Voodoo blessed us with their presence. Talk about a great, enthusiastic bunch of guys on stage. Opened an extremely tight set with the great song P. And after that kept punching out the hits with Today Tomorrow Timaru, Beers, We are Deja Voodoo and so on. Skulling beers between a few songs, they sure had the crowd going. A great tight sounding band and would recommend them to anyone for a great live show. I had never seen these guys before but now am glad to say I have.

11.00 rolls on with Steriogram opening with Go. Played a good hour set with all the well known songs and they even threw in a great cover of Back In Black by ACDC. These guys were great despite the sound techies fucking up. I had also never seen them before but they were a great band and great bunch of guys. Finished the set with the hit single, Road Trip which was extended out a few minutes or so. Great energy and would also recommend them again. Finishing up at 12, it was a good hours set.

All in all, a great night with 4 great bands for the great price of, $0.00. While others had to pay $25.00 or $30.00 at the door, I was free. Got to hang out with the bands and got some great advice too. And all the members in both Deja Voodoo and Steriogram are down to earth guys that you'd never imagine to be anything more than your standard bloke earning a living in the office. If you can see either of these two bands, do it. They're great!