PDA

View Full Version : Took my Honda out with the BMWs

merv
13th August 2006, 17:52
The Wellington BMW riders were doing a bit of a run over the 'takas today and a few with dirt Beemers said why don't we start with that ride but extend the ride out to the Wairarapa Coast? So that's what we did, except I don't have a Beemer so took my XR250L on it. In the end it was six of us all up that rode over from Caltex Rimutaka to Martinborough and then on past Hinakura to the coast at Pahaoa. We returned to Hinakura and then took the nice gravel road through to Gladstone pub where most of Wellington's bikers seemed to have congregated for lunch. I'll get on posting the pics.

This is all while I'm cooking the Sunday roast you gotta understand.

First two pics at Caltex Rimutaka, next four on Pahaoa Road.

merv
13th August 2006, 17:56
Once we'd been to the pub and seen MD and others you may recognise in my pics, we went back over the gravel road to Hinakura to take the long way to Martinborough and then home over the 'takas.

OK pics below we are still on our way to Pahaoa so all pics taken on Pahaoa Road.

MattRSK
13th August 2006, 17:57
Good Stuff. Nice Honda :yes:

merv
13th August 2006, 18:07
Then we met three locals at Pahaoa having fun on their dirt bikes.

All pics at Pahaoa on the coast.

Kendog
13th August 2006, 18:08
Awesome pics as always Mr Merv!!:yes:

merv
13th August 2006, 18:10
Just went off and peeled the kumaras and put them on to cook.

The pics continue.

First three pics we are still at Pahaoa, then three at Hinakura Hall which is on Moeraki Road.

merv
13th August 2006, 18:14
Working our way back through Hinakura and on towards the pub. Sorry my story isn't the flashest tonight I'm a bit distracted. Might come back and edit it once I've got the pics up.

First four pics still at Hinakura then the last two were taken on Ngakonui Road.

merv
13th August 2006, 18:17
Still on our way to Gladstone. Motu you'd love this road and you too Zukin. I was getting in a bit of practice before you are down here in two weeks Zukin.

Then finally got to the pub.

Now MD, how fast did that MV go? On closed roads under controlled conditions of course.

So first three pics still on Ngakonui Road, then three pics at Gladstone pub.

merv
13th August 2006, 18:21
A few more pics to whet your appetite.

Just the last few; more at the pub and showing us going back on the road to Hinakura.

Must go and break open the Sav Blanc now to go with my garlic bread before we get the roast on the table. See you later.

First two pics at Gladstone pub, then three on Wainuioru Road.

Hawkeye
13th August 2006, 19:33
The Wellington BMW riders were doing a bit of a run over the 'takas today and a few with dirt Beemers said why don't we start with that ride but extend the ride out to the Wairarapa Coast? So that's what we did.

Hi Merv,
I must have just missed you. I sat at Caltex waiting for my mate as all the Beema's started arriving. Decided that my little 250 looked out of place next to them so headed over the hill by myself. I must have only missed you by a few minutes judging by the number of bikes in the photo's from Caltex.

Saw MD at the top just as he was about to leave for the Wairarapa.

merv
13th August 2006, 19:39
Hawkeye we were due to meet and leave about 10.30am and we got away not much later than that and hit Gladstone pub about 1pm when most of the others seemed to have finished their business there. I got home eventually about4.20pm after going home via Moonshine Road.

Had my roast, just back checking while my apple pies are cooking. Damn I won't fit my leathers next trip - oh OK diet starts Monday.

Ghost Lemur
13th August 2006, 21:30
Great pics Merv.

merv
13th August 2006, 21:47
If you are interested here's a screen shot of the GPS track from today in yellow.

I left home went over Haywards then into Upper Hutt and got gas at BP on Ferguson Drive then onto meet the crew at Caltex Rimutaka. Then it was over the hill to Featherston, Martinborough and out to the Coast. On the way back we turned off at Hinakura then up the dead end line to Gladstone, then we backtracked to Hinakura and then home via Martinborough and over the hill. You can see I went home via Moonshine and never did River Road as you can see that wee strip of red road between my tracks.

Ruralman
13th August 2006, 21:53
Great pics and a great day ride - I can tell you it wasn't like that down here today. snow on the ground first thing this morning and heavy showers on and off all day. The KDX got a short burst yesterday but today was a movies and fires sort of day.
Looks like you've got some great backcountry roads up there.

merv
13th August 2006, 22:12
Yeah well nice thing to see on the weather on TV last night was how all the shit was racing up the South Island and went out to the West off Cook Strait and was to miss Wellington altogether coming back on to land around the 'naki. Other than a bit of wind on the way home it wasn't a bad day. I'd thought it would be cold so I refitted the quilted lining into my rain jacket and if anything riding the gravel I was too warm.

Zukin
13th August 2006, 22:26
Nice photos!
I wish I was out today!

How far can you get on a full tank of gas in you Honda?

Cheers Scott

merv
14th August 2006, 08:13
Nice photos!
I wish I was out today!

How far can you get on a full tank of gas in you Honda?

Cheers Scott

The L model has a 9.7l tank, not sure how big the reserve is but I ran 164km between top ups In Martinborough yesterday and it had used a bit over 7 litres and hadn't needed reserve. The wind was strongish heading back so that will have sucked the gas as it can run anywhere between 25 and 30 to the litre whereas yesterday that is under 25km/l.

Aslan
14th August 2006, 08:39
The Wellington BMW riders were doing a bit of a run over the 'takas today and a few with dirt Beemers said why don't we start with that ride but extend the ride out to the Wairarapa Coast? So that's what we did, except I don't have a Beemer so took my XR250L on it. In the end it was six of us all up that rode over from Caltex Rimutaka to Martinborough and then on past Hinakura to the coast at Pahaoa. We returned to Hinakura and then took the nice gravel road through to Gladstone pub where most of Wellington's bikers seemed to have congregated for lunch. I'll get on posting the pics.

This is all while I'm cooking the Sunday roast you gotta understand.

First two pics at Caltex Rimutaka, next four on Pahaoa Road.

Great to have your company Merv - seemed to me you were among the most comfortable among us whether attacking the Rimutukas in the presence of much larger street bikes or hammering along in the gravel. Thanks for the pics - great shots - we're lucky to have those Wairarapa gravel roads on our doorstop. Cheers Aslan :scooter:

Zukin
14th August 2006, 08:51
Great to have your company Merv - seemed to me you were among the most comfortable among us whether attacking the Rimutukas in the presence of much larger street bikes or hammering along in the gravel. Thanks for the pics - great shots - we're lucky to have those Wairarapa gravel roads on our doorstop. Cheers Aslan :scooter:

Well said Aslan, and nice comments about Merv.
I often get passed by large sports and dual purpose bikes on the roads, and I often feel like a spare prick at a wedding zipping along on the little 250's.
But it is good to know that most riders of these bikes dont think of us like that.

And Welcome to KB:yes:

Cheers Scott

Motu
14th August 2006, 09:02
Looks like a good ride was had,how did the little Honda cope against those big powerfull beasts? Hooning around on a beat up YZ490 (or whatever it is) on a big paddock....sounds all too familiar...

Aslan
14th August 2006, 09:09
Well said Aslan, and nice comments about Merv.
I often get passed by large sports and dual purpose bikes on the roads, and I often feel like a spare prick at a wedding zipping along on the little 250's.
But it is good to know that most riders of these bikes dont think of us like that.

And Welcome to KB:yes:

Cheers Scott

thanks Scott - as a former lurker I can see you're as keen as mustard to be out there adventure riding. Understand you and Merv may be catching up - perhaps we'll meet up some time - cheers Aslan :rockon:

Aslan
14th August 2006, 09:11
Looks like a good ride was had,how did the little Honda cope against those big powerfull beasts? Hooning around on a beat up YZ490 (or whatever it is) on a big paddock....sounds all too familiar...

Hi Motu - Merv was at no time challenged by the capacity of his machine - that man can sure ride - very fluid - would seem to be blessed with natural coordination - cheers Aslan

merv
14th August 2006, 10:15
It all comes from 37 years of riding shoulder to shoulder with all sorts of riders so I have never had any worries riding with anyone. Yes we had a great day out. The 250 goes good and only feels like a struggle into head winds. If I'd felt like I was going to need more speed yesterday I would have borrowed Mrs merv's DR650, or I could have taken my WR but then it isn't as comfortable on the long hauls as the Honda. In fact the Honda is smoother than the DR650 is vibration-wise.

Zukin you never replied to my last pm so presume you will contact me closer to the date that you are down here.

Zukin
14th August 2006, 10:22
Hey Merv

Yep I have am working on 2 alternatives for next weekends ride.

Really depends on what the long range weather forecast looks like as to where I will go.
Normally I wouldnt care to much for the weather, but as I planning on a solo trip I do have to take a few extra precautions.:yes:

I hope to let you know this weekend what the plan is.
North at this stage is looking more promising.

Cheers Scott

miSTa
14th August 2006, 12:54
Great photos :niceone:

Go the GS :headbang:

upshift
14th August 2006, 18:27
Really nice to have such good quality pics to remember a great ride. I only managed a few snaps myself, I was too busy trying to keep up with everyone else.

merv
14th August 2006, 19:10
I was glad you were there upshift, we've talked about riding over a few lunches so it was great to finally be out together. Can you post the few snaps you did take? Is Garry on this site too because I know he got a pic of me going through that easy concrete bottomed ford, and Bill if you are reading this what is your KB ID?

upshift
14th August 2006, 23:04
Ok then let's see if this works :confused:

upshift
14th August 2006, 23:20
:clap: yep, mastered it in one. A couple more then, which is my lot. As you can see I was starting to drool a bit over the road bikes, it's a worry.

merv
15th August 2006, 08:32
:clap: yep, mastered it in one. A couple more then, which is my lot. As you can see I was starting to drool a bit over the road bikes, it's a worry.

That's easy fixed, there are plenty for sale in the shops.

Thanks for the pics, they are great and add to the collection.

Garry.W
16th August 2006, 08:31
Great pics Merv, good day for it, good company, let's do it again sometime soon.

merv
16th August 2006, 08:34
Great pics Merv, good day for it, good company, let's do it again sometime soon.

Thanks Garry and welcome to KiwiBiker.

Yeah I'm a starter for another ride on dates that suit as I tend to be away a bit doing other things. It looked like I was going to be going around Cape Palliser with Zukin on 26 Aug but he's opted to go to Coromandel and Motu might meet up with him, so if the weather is great Sat 26th I could be on for another ride then.

Garry.W
16th August 2006, 08:49
Thanks Garry and welcome to KiwiBiker

Cheers mate, also snapped a couple of pics while we were out. One of you at concrete ford.