PDA

View Full Version : Binning Practice with Dover

gijoe1313
13th August 2006, 21:44
Well, I had an earliest morning start and met up with Dover who kindly offered to show me a few pointers on the zen of motorcycling. I kitted up and made my way to Dover's Demesne (home to you oiks!).

He's a friendly chap and his missus too - his daughter is cute as a button, after some intros, a cuppa (the English propensity to consume asian leaf products never fails to amaze me!), we went over what I should be doing - he found out I was "short shifting" which left me nonplussed, until I found out what he meant!

Revvy engines need the revs before changing too soon! Typical noob mistake. Also clutch control at slow speeds is a must when I tried to do slow turns at the end of the cul-de-sac he lives on. Another noob mistake sez I!

Well, after that little intro we went in for another cuppa. It was a nice relaxing way to spend an Sunday ... little did I know what lay in store for me just down the road a little later on!

Anyhow, to cut to the chase (ha ha, watching Dover zoomy zoom off on his black beastie made me wonder if I was cut out for this riding lark ... for all of 1 second and I sped up as he disappeared around the corners) - I managed to navigate my way out onto the chosen route (follow Dover!) and was puttering along okay...until I hit a nice gentle S-bend (well hit is a bit too strong at this moment) ... I made the left bend and was doing an easy 50kph ... and promptly saw the next bend coming up rather quickly ... and here comes a real noob mistake!

I thought I was going a bit too close to the edge and instead of looking into the corner (as everyone keeps saying and saying!), I kinda kept looking at the bushes ahead and a power pole! Gleep! :gob:

Needless to say by then, physics and a hearty "doh!" led me to effect an emergency stop which required me to aim for spot which would lead to less ouchie.

Result : 1 muddied bike, new track marks in someone's front lawn to show egress via non-conventional route, 1 stoopid noob contemplating how he made the right and wrong choices all at once (yeah, I hear you all already - I went with Dover!:innocent:). :sick:

Long story short : I practiced a non-planned binning stop!

Needless to say, I patted myself off, counted my limbs and righted my poor wee beastie. A cager in a station wagon stopped and asked if I was alright, to which I replied "I'm okay, but I'm more worried about my bike!"

A throaty roar later on saw Dover coming back to look for his errant charge. I could tell he was wondering what the farf happened! Heh - you can read his observations in the post to come! :doh:

What I did wrong : I didn't look far ahead into my sight view and keep looking to where I wanted to go, as opposed to where I didn't want to go (and ended up there!). :sherlock:

Enjoy the photos and I'll sheepishly answer and reply to all queries!

:wait:

But at least I got back on and kept riding on! Went around more twisties with Dover and handled them all and enjoyed the rest of the arvo at Dover's place!:yes:

Mr. Peanut
13th August 2006, 21:49
Sheesh Dover, just because he rides a Honda... :angry:

I promise I wont kill you.

gijoe1313
13th August 2006, 21:52
Heh, just to reassure that Dover wasn't to blame - just me being a noob! He helped me check over the Hornet to see it was hunky dory and we just got on with some more riding tickety boo! :scooter: :yes:

Sketchy_Racer
13th August 2006, 21:53
Sheesh Dover, just because he rides a Honda... :angry:

BUAHAHAHAHA :lol: :killingme

You have given out to much reputation in the last 24 hours. Try again later

Mr. Peanut
13th August 2006, 21:54
Maybe your bike got Gixxer germs.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sensei
13th August 2006, 21:56
We all fall & all , Learn nothing new there good to see ya still up & running . Like the pegs have the same ones , find the fact they are longer then standard helps transferring weight alot easyer in the corners .

skelstar
13th August 2006, 22:06
Good to see you survived a day with Dover (sounds like a reality tv show). Might wanna trim down those pic sizes though...will be a bit much for our rural friend for a start.

gijoe1313
13th August 2006, 22:34
Maybe your bike got Gixxer germs.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Heh, well once I left Dover's place I rode around back to the place and took the corner sucessfully - even got some piccies to record for my posterity (or is that posterior? :wait: )

Just a nice little country road out the back of Takanini ways - after I took the photos (you can see my ride in the 1st pic), we decided to shake it out again and putted around the area for another half hour before I had to take it home and start the cleaning and maintenance on it! :sherlock: :doh:

A bit of elbow grease, some car wash, a toothbrush, some fine sandpaper and tools saw it right (poor suffering wee beastie!). I had to check the electrics since one of the indicators wasn't working right (it had problems before). Blew two fuses before working out it was the right rear indicator bulb which had blown (will have to get replacement tomorrow).

Onwards with the ride! Yeah, I'm still smiling and thank gosh for good kit! :first: :2thumbsup

SuperDave
13th August 2006, 22:50
So Dover didn't crash this time? You'll be able to go around corners whilst checking out the chicks walking by soon enough. Just don't look too long.

gijoe1313
13th August 2006, 23:02
SuperDave : now thats a handy skill to work up to! I guess my "brain-splice" processing speed needs a lot of work :innocent:

At least I have something to ruminate and digest on in my non-riding moments! heh :yes:

Kornholio
13th August 2006, 23:23
I would be a bit dubious about riding after drinking some of Dover's "tea" :shifty:

jazbug5
13th August 2006, 23:26
... a cuppa (the English propensity to consume asian leaf products never fails to amaze me!)

Er... you might want to edit that, methinks...?

NSR-Dan
13th August 2006, 23:36
well it would all be good if theres chicks around.

say your dying and a virgin and see how far it will get you.

Im sure thats how skidmark got layed the first time. except in his case he fell off his bike while on its stand in his garaged and it was his mum that did the favours.

mwahahahahaha

skidMark
13th August 2006, 23:42
geez your mum jokes how fucking origional and mature:wait:

NSR-Dan
13th August 2006, 23:51
an immature comment from mark. now thats a joke

boomer
13th August 2006, 23:51
all class...good to see and hear your alreeet :rockon:

Finn
13th August 2006, 23:59
Taking riding lessons from Dover is like asking a virgin about sex.

Kornholio
14th August 2006, 00:00
all class...good to see and hear your alreeet :rockon:Look Boomer another member ;) How many you got now?? :blip:

:doobey:

Shadows
14th August 2006, 00:00
even got some piccies to record for my posterity (or is that posterior? :wait: )

Dang, at least you had a soft landing!

NSR-Dan
14th August 2006, 00:02
hey shadmeister where you get that avitar from, im sure my brother made that

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 07:02
Taking riding lessons from Dover is like asking a virgin about sex.

So I puy my pee pee in her fanny and then what was next finn?

steved
14th August 2006, 08:58
Is that the American fanny or the English?

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 09:01
Is that the American fanny or the English?

Well given that I'm not obese, know where eyerack and noo zeeland are, think grid iron is for poofs and smoke a lot of fags what do you reckon?

Have a nice day y'all!

Finn
14th August 2006, 09:09

You forgot a condom.

marty
14th August 2006, 09:14
smoke a lot of fags what do you reckon?

!

and do they enjoy it? return the favour maybe?

tomthepohm
14th August 2006, 09:16
Going to fast round a corner, what a dumn ass. haha, Dont worry dude it happns to the best of us.

Lets be honest here your first mistake was to be friendly to Dover.

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 09:27
Lets be honest here your first mistake was to be friendly to Dover.

I'm just glad he wasn't as friendly as you were Tom.

:blip:

McJim
14th August 2006, 10:00
Ahh Dover, your reputation as a nasty bastard is almost in tatters - offering help to noobies, cups of tea, by all means let people be nice about you in PMs but for goodness' sake have a word with gijoe1313 and don't let him post nice things about you in public again.

gijoe1313 - thanks for posting a picture of your hornet albeit covered in crud. Looks cool man - nice purchase - a bit modified too...

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
14th August 2006, 10:18
Good on ya for identifying where you went wrong, and for going back and doing it right. At least you are willing to learn, listen and improve.
Happy riding

Zed
14th August 2006, 10:41
How on earth did Dover become a KB mentor?? I thought it was understood that he is our shining example of how not to do it! You're sposed to wait around for him Dover, show him the right lines into corners, etc, not take off and leave him for dead.:confused:

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 10:49
Who said jack about being a KB mentor??

I didn't take off an leave him for dead and had I been watching my mirrors going through a 90 degree corner it would have been me in the mud.

I was offering a few tips on the basics, nothing more.

Crazy Steve
14th August 2006, 10:52
Who said jack about being a KB mentor??

I didn't take off an leave him for dead and had I been watching my mirrors going through a 90 degree corner it would have been me in the mud.

Please teach me how to Binn it next...:yes:

Crazy Steve..

The Stranger
14th August 2006, 10:55
Wait till Chris Rock finds out about this, it's up there with black golfers and white rappers.

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 10:57
and employed maoris.

skidMark
14th August 2006, 11:05

how to loose your license in 5 minutes or less? only $39.95 and a blowjob???

Kendog
14th August 2006, 11:21
Are you sure you hadn't drank too much tea and needed to duck into a bush to relieve yourself?
Well, an intelligent person learns from their mistakes, so good work and well done for taking Dover up on his offer to give you some tips and especially well done for getting back on the pony that bucked you off.
Mrs KD.

boomer
14th August 2006, 13:46
Look Boomer another member ;) How many you got now?? :blip:

:doobey:

he's a renegade.. one of Dovers finest, too classy for The AMA

skidMark
14th August 2006, 14:56
dover is......hmmm nup i've gone blank :gob:

Fatjim
14th August 2006, 15:07
Fark, this has turned out to be one of the funniest threads yet.

gijoe1313
14th August 2006, 17:21
Ahh Dover, your reputation as a nasty bastard is almost in tatters - offering help to noobies, cups of tea, by all means let people be nice about you in PMs but for goodness' sake have a word with gijoe1313 and don't let him post nice things about you in public again.

gijoe1313 - thanks for posting a picture of your hornet albeit covered in crud. Looks cool man - nice purchase - a bit modified too...

Er yeah, sorry about that Dover - I guess he was setting me up so I would bin somewhere so his rep's still intact! :innocent:

Yeah, apparantly its got as stated (I'm too lazy to type it out so did the cutty pasty thang!)

Has TWIN, yes a twin stainless steel genuine aftermarket exhaust system that goes into twin alloy end cans same as the 900cc Hornet (Price for this unit new is $1,800 on its own plus freight from the UK). Rear tyre hugger, anodised gold foot pegs (new). Hand grips (new). Bar ends & valve caps alloy gold (new). Twin crome streetfighter headlight unit. Aftermarket indicators (new) D.I.D 520v Chain (new). Colour is genuine ferrari rosso red paint with new gold Hornet decals also (new). Front custom master cyl guard (new). Mirrors both sides (new). Only item requiring attention is the speedo trip button that has broken off so is now just stuck it on.

Of course, some of it is a little scratched (will be tidying it up ASAP).

gijoe1313
14th August 2006, 17:26
Are you sure you hadn't drank too much tea and needed to duck into a bush to relieve yourself?
Well, an intelligent person learns from their mistakes, so good work and well done for taking Dover up on his offer to give you some tips and especially well done for getting back on the pony that bucked you off.
Mrs KD.

Eh heh, I think I would have released most of it if I had realised what I was l going to do! Thank gosh things go fast! Yeah, to tell the truth, I had a grin from ear to ear as I took my right and left fist and smacked myself upside the head! Noob mistake for sure!

I was much more relaxed after that and really enjoyed buzzing around and enjoying my riding! :scooter: :sunny:

Today, I put some of Dover's advice on my gear changes, and lo, its much much better and I can find neutral easily now! Whee! :yes:

tomthepohm
14th August 2006, 18:08
I find this thread fasinating, do these kids know about The Dover.... Or is he telling them something else. I guess come home and see my puppies works at all ages... hmmmm

BeakerRAT
14th August 2006, 18:44
I find this thread fasinating, do these kids know about The Dover.... Or is he telling them something else. I guess come home and see my puppies works at all ages... hmmmm

Classic! And good on ya for warning the children. Kind of a public service annoucement.