PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy gerbils and hamsters in NZ?

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 15:54
Seriously, a bona fide query.

Not for sexual purposes or anything sordid.

I have never seen hamsters or gerbils for sale in NZ. Can you get them?

Qkchk
14th August 2006, 15:55
Not that Im aware off. I think we have the equivalent - Guinea Pigs.

Sniper
14th August 2006, 15:57
Apparently they are classed as pests. So I dont think so.

On a side note. Anyone know of where I can get a ferrit

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 15:58
A chutney ferret?

Dawn, Guinea Pigs are a quite a bit bigger than hamsters and gerbils. I had gerbils as a kid, fucken funny little things. I think guinea pigs are cool but are more of an outdoor pet.

Sniper
14th August 2006, 15:59
A proper ferret

WickedOne
14th August 2006, 16:00
Apparently they are classed as pets. So I dont think so.

As far as I am aware it is no longer legal for petshops to sell Ferrets???

Lou Girardin
14th August 2006, 16:00
Apparently they are classed as pets. So I dont think so.

Ferret breeders? Try the Yellow Pages under 'Cute slaughterers of endangered wildlife'.
Cool pets though.
Guinea pigs are great too, one of our cats loves them.
Guinea pigs and Ferrets would give hours of entertainment.

Sniper
14th August 2006, 16:02
Ferrets are poor misunderstood creatures, Im sure if we really gave them a chance, they would become as great a possums.

GR81
14th August 2006, 16:09
Ferrets are poor misunderstood creatures, Im sure if we really gave them a chance, they would become as great a possums.
does that mean i can take potshots are your ferrit with my .22 ? :D

Colapop
14th August 2006, 16:11
Gerbils And Hamsters Are Classed As Introduced Species And Are Destroyed By Border Control If Found. The Case Of The (crazy) Woman Who Smuggled In Her Pet Hamster From S.a. They Found Out About It When She Took It To The Vet. Ferrets Are Considered A Noxiuos Pest And Are No Longer Allowed To Be Kept As Pets Or Bred.

Fatjim
14th August 2006, 16:13
Armageddon!

http://www.cndl21173.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/armageddon.mp3

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 16:15
Cheers Col.

I never realised that guinea pigs were a native NZ mammal!!

Street Gerbil
14th August 2006, 16:19
Tragically, the answer is no:
http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/no/aboutno/banned.html

The HSNO Act (Second Schedule) lists new organisms that are completely prohibited for importation, release or development. Below is the current list of these 'Prohibited New Organisms'.Any snake of any species whatever.
Any venomous reptile, venomous amphibian, venomous fish, or venomous invertebrate (with venomous defined as capable of inflicting poisonous wounds harmful to human health).
Any American grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis gmelini).
Any red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris).
Any musquash (or muskrat) (Ondatra zibethica)
Any coypu or nutria (Myocastor coypus).
Any beaver (Castor canadensis).
Any gerbil (Meriones unguiculatus).
Any prairie dog (Cyonomys spp.).
Any pocket gopher (Geomys spp. and Thomomys spp.).
On the bright side, gerbils are desert creatures. They would have been absolutely miserable in cold and humid NZ climate. I am.

Sniper
14th August 2006, 16:20
does that mean i can take potshots are your ferrit with my .22 ? :D

Like Hell!!!

SuperDave
14th August 2006, 16:22
Dover get a Chinchilla they're cool, much better than all the other similar animals. Sorta like a rabbit cross a squirrel.

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 16:24
Damn, it's illegal to posess a beaver.........

SuperDave............what does chinchilla taste like?

Squeak the Rat
14th August 2006, 16:29
Hamsters? Remember, you can buy accessories from any hardware shop.

Deano
14th August 2006, 16:30
Any venomous reptile, venomous amphibian, venomous fish, or venomous invertebrate (with venomous defined as capable of inflicting poisonous wounds harmful to human health).

Well that would preclude Paris Hilton's new handbag pet then - I can't recall the name but it was like 'Picachew' (Pokemon?)

She is being treated for a septic finger or something after it bit her. Silly girl.

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 16:32
Paris Hilton's beaver savaged her finger!!

Colapop
14th August 2006, 16:33
Cheers Col.
I never realised that guinea pigs were a native NZ mammal!!
Never said they were. Guinesa pigs were introduced prior to the law banning the other rodents previously mentioned. Possums aren't a native NZ beasty either - they still make good pets though (really good for kicking the nieghbors cats arse!)

Deano
14th August 2006, 16:35
Paris Hilton's beaver savaged her finger!!

Probably got sick of being poked all the time.

skidMark
14th August 2006, 16:37
lollllll rep

Lou Girardin
14th August 2006, 16:37

This must be what Richard Gere had.

SuperDave
14th August 2006, 16:38
Never eaten one before but they have really soft fur so probably wont be hard to skin one. They're really fast little fuckers and have furry squirrel like tails.

skidMark
14th August 2006, 16:40
theres a brown mouse somewhere in my garage at the moment...if you can catch it it's yours...

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 16:42
theres a brown mouse somewhere in my garage at the moment...if you can catch it it's yours...

Is that some kind of euphemism mark?

Street Gerbil
14th August 2006, 16:44
Dover get a Chinchilla they're cool, much better than all the other similar animals. Sorta like a rabbit cross a squirrel.

In NZ climate Chinchillas can only survive in an airconditioned home because at temperatures above 20C they die from a heat stroke. Besides, unlike gerbils, chinchillas are nocturnal or in plain English will lie motionlessly during the day (when you want to play with it) and will raise hell at night (when you don't). Otherwise, great animal. Cute as hell!

skidMark
14th August 2006, 16:44
Is that some kind of euphamism mark?

big word that teenager cannot compute overload overload

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 16:48
gerbils are nocturnal too.

but a drumstick rattling their cage soon gets them up and about during the day

Crazy Steve
14th August 2006, 16:49
Ive gotta a Snake if you want it Dover....

Ive had it for a while now..

You can have it...He dosnt bite...

But he will spit at you if you tease him to much...

Crazy Steve...

skidMark
14th August 2006, 16:52
Ive gotta a Snake if you want it Dover....

Ive had it for a while now..

You can have it...He dosnt bite...

But he will spit at you if you tease him to much...

Crazy Steve...

then dover would just get said snake to suck his **** and spit in it

Colapop
14th August 2006, 16:55
I understand that Guinea Pigs make good eating. Was a story on the news about it awhile ago.

The_Dover
14th August 2006, 16:56
south americans chow down on them all the time.

Squeak the Rat
14th August 2006, 17:00
Guinea pigs get eaten in some parts of asia too. They try to fob it off as chicken sometimes (they do that with rat also).

GP's taste very nice.

skidMark
14th August 2006, 17:00
mmmm chinchilla nuggets

crashe
14th August 2006, 17:02
Dover - If you are serious, contact Hitcher as he works in MAF and will be able to tell you what you can get here or not get here etc..

But Guinea pigs and rabbits are great pets for kids...

race me!!!!
14th August 2006, 17:02
when i lived in england i had a couple of gerbils one was called harry and one prince (he liked purple!!) any way my gay freind (no dont get excited im not gay mark!!) came over one day! i went to the toilet came back and only had harry my mate said prince had ran away! my mate had a huge smile on his face when he left!! thinking back on it i think he stole prince for some reason (frozen gerbil tube you get the picture!)
i miss prince and i havnt seen that guy again
thats my 2 cents:whocares:

skidMark
14th August 2006, 17:04
when i lived in england i had a couple of gerbils one was called harry and one prince (he liked purple!!) any way my gay freind (no dont get excited im not gay mark!!) came over one day! i went to the toilet came back and only had harry my mate said prince had ran away! my mate had a huge smile on his face when he left!! thinking back on it i think he stole prince for some reason (frozen gerbil tube you get the picture!)

were you sad cus you only had one gerbil left for pleasure?

Sniper
14th August 2006, 17:05

You're an idiot......

race me!!!!
14th August 2006, 17:08
do you think they eat guinea pigs in guinea??

skidMark
14th August 2006, 17:09

You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, please try again later :killingme:

Colapop
14th August 2006, 17:10
South American Guinea Pigs are called Capibara aren't they? Or do they have the little ones there too?

98tls
14th August 2006, 17:12
I can see Dover sitting around sharing political view points with his hamster on a friday night.....its what would happen on saturday night after a few beers that bothers me :nono: :nono: Dover....Back away from the furry thing.

Street Gerbil
14th August 2006, 17:16
gerbils are nocturnal too.

but a drumstick rattling their cage soon gets them up and about during the day

No they are not :-) They have intermittent periods of activity and sleep of approximately 1-1.5 hours. At least that's what typical US pet store gerbils do.

SPman
14th August 2006, 17:22
Hamsters? Remember, you can buy accessories from any hardware shop.
Siberian Hamsters?

Colapop
14th August 2006, 17:28
I think he means Hamster collars and boots etc...?

apteryx_haasti
14th August 2006, 18:26
Gerbils And Hamsters Are Classed As Introduced Species And Are Destroyed By Border Control If Found. The Case Of The (crazy) Woman Who Smuggled In Her Pet Hamster From S.a. They Found Out About It When She Took It To The Vet. Ferrets Are Considered A Noxiuos Pest And Are No Longer Allowed To Be Kept As Pets Or Bred.

Wot he said! Used to work for MAF - sounds like something they would say. No seriously, they're classed as pests. It's the giant poisonous fangs...

Quartida
14th August 2006, 18:26

Pocket gopher? It sounds like a made-up pet to give to little children or something.

Ixion
14th August 2006, 18:29
Really ? I thought at first it was a relative of the trouser snake. Bad Ixion!

Colapop
14th August 2006, 18:31
Pocket gopher? It sounds like a made-up pet to give to little children or something.
Yes it is... "I've got a Hamster in my pocket. He might be hiding so you'll have to feel around a bit..."

Quartida
14th August 2006, 18:35
Really ? I thought at first it was a relative of the trouser snake. Bad Ixion!

Yes it is... "I've got a Hamster in my pocket. He might be hiding so you'll have to feel around a bit..."

Hilarious!

"Hey, do you want to come to my place for a drink? I have a great pet collection. I've got a trouser snake and two pocket hamsters, which I think you'll really like."

(NB: Just kidding! I only own a "Skirt Chinchilla".)

BeakerRAT
14th August 2006, 18:37

That is just so wrong on so many levels. ah hang on I guess it fits, Dovers thread after all!

Hitcher
14th August 2006, 19:29
Seriously, a bona fide query.

Not for sexual purposes or anything sordid.

I have never seen hamsters or gerbils for sale in NZ. Can you get them?

No. Both gerbils and hamsters are prohibited under the provisions of the Biosecurity Act. A prosecution was successfully taken earlier this year against a Wellington woman who smuggled a hamster into the country. You'll just have to make do with guinea pigs, chinchillas or assorted other commonly-available rodents.

Colapop
14th August 2006, 19:33
No. Both gerbils and hamsters are prohibited under the provisions of the Biosecurity Act. A prosecution was successfully taken earlier this year against a Wellington woman who smuggled a hamster into the country. You'll just have to make do with hamsters, chinchillas or assorted other commonly-available rodents.
But I thought you just contradicted yourself?

(NB: Just kidding! I only own a "Skirt Chinchilla".)
Or a naked Mole rat?

Hitcher
14th August 2006, 20:20
But I thought you just contradicted yourself?

Gahhh! Don't you just hate it when that happens. Changed now. Thanks for the spotting Col.

I guess that comes from being denied access to the Kiwi Biker home page... (look in the Site Stuff thread about the vBulletin upgrade to get the gory details)

SuperDave
14th August 2006, 22:07
In NZ climate Chinchillas can only survive in an airconditioned home because at temperatures above 20C they die from a heat stroke. Besides, unlike gerbils, chinchillas are nocturnal or in plain English will lie motionlessly during the day (when you want to play with it) and will raise hell at night (when you don't). Otherwise, great animal. Cute as hell!

The airconditioning is a minor technicality, just like goldfish need to be kept in a bowl of water. They are nocturnal but they can be quite active during the day with the right incentives, like a dust bath. The ones in the pet store next to where I used to work would go crazy whenever they were given the dust. They would often be awake during the day although they were often very lazy and sleepy even when they were.

Dover, just get a Chinchilla.

skidMark
15th August 2006, 20:57
I can see Dover sitting around sharing political view points with his hamster on a friday night.....its what would happen on saturday night after a few beers that bothers me :nono: :nono: Dover....Back away from the furry thing.

i need tissues crying with laughter....

youuuuu light up my lifeeeeeeee

race me!!!!
16th August 2006, 14:05
i need tissues crying with laughter....

youuuuu light up my lifeeeeeeee

dover i think he wants to get in your pants!! your in bro:done:

Kendog
16th August 2006, 14:14
The airconditioning is a minor technicality, just like goldfish need to be kept in a bowl of water. They are nocturnal but they can be quite active during the day with the right incentives, like a dust bath. The ones in the pet store next to where I used to work would go crazy whenever they were given the dust. They would often be awake during the day although they were often very lazy and sleepy even when they were.

Dover, just get a Chinchilla.

I agree, I've had several chinchillas, they are awesome pets, fairly easy to care for, but you do need to keep them indoors, but they are pretty clean little buggers. Loads of hours of entertainment, very cute and loveable, just don't squeeze them or, like gremlins, get them wet! One of mine lept into the tank my ex kept axilotals (sp) in and he got a bit wet and sad :shit: . They love the dust bath and running wheels.
Mrs KD.

The_Dover
16th August 2006, 14:20
are they best with chips or rice?

race me!!!!
16th August 2006, 14:27
are they best with chips or rice?

na i prefer mash potatoes wiv em

Quartida
16th August 2006, 16:14
OK, so until yesterday, I never knew that there was such a thing as naked mole rats.

I come to university today and WE DISCUSS THEM IN OUR LECTURE.

Complete with pictures, which, after yesterday's discussion, sent me off into fits of laughter.

Ugly little buggers, aren't they?

dawnrazor
16th August 2006, 16:51

I reckon they JUST call them pigs though!

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 17:10
OK, so until yesterday, I never knew that there was such a thing as naked mole rats.

Also a prohibited species under the provisions of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act and the Biosecurity Act.

The_Dover
16th August 2006, 17:17
How about if you got a standard mole rat and shaved it?

or waxed it?

Ixion
16th August 2006, 17:21
how about if you fitted it out with a little pair of pants? OK then? Cos it wouldn't be a naked mole rat then, would it, it'd be a little-pair-of-pants mole rat

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 18:52
How about if you got a standard mole rat and shaved it?

or waxed it?

You've been watching too much Austin Powers...

vixter
16th August 2006, 19:14
Hamsters are cool little things had shit loads as a kid.
Got one not too long ago with red eyes!! evil little bastard kept taking chunks out of everyone! so i took it back to the shop and asked for an exchange.
Which they did!
Anyhow got peanut home and he jumped from my hands and ended on the floor thought id killed the bugger as he went well stiff! felt guilty as hell well me being a soft git started getting upset but my sis came to the rescue and started heart massage.
anyhow later the little bugger escaped and ended up living in the walls if you ask me they more trouble than they worth...

The_Dover
16th August 2006, 19:21
if you ask me they more trouble than they worth...

bit like women then?

oldguy
16th August 2006, 19:51
Armageddon!

http://www.cndl21173.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/armageddon.mp3

Now that is funny.:rofl:

Colapop
16th August 2006, 19:58

I come to university today and WE DISCUSS THEM IN OUR LECTURE.

Complete with pictures, which, after yesterday's discussion, sent me off into fits of laughter.

Ugly little buggers, aren't they?
Bet your naked mole rat isn't that ugly! :shifty:

oldguy
16th August 2006, 20:14
Why not get a rabbit,

Quartida
16th August 2006, 22:16
Bet your naked mole rat isn't that ugly! :shifty:

Well, I don't think so. But I'm biased. If I ever need a neutral opinion on that one I'll call you, Col. :innocent: