PDA

View Full Version : Removing decals off fairings???

ZeroIndex
14th August 2006, 16:15
Hey, just about to start the whole sanding my fairings process, and since the bike is a 1986, the decals won't peel off.. what is the best method for removing them?

Thanks, Rob

Maha
14th August 2006, 16:17
Hot air gun......or hair dryer......:blip:

mstriumph
14th August 2006, 16:26
wot he just said .........

kickingzebra
14th August 2006, 16:29
I recommend sliding the bike sideways off the greenwood roundabout. The road has a good 15 or 20 grit surface, and will make short work of the decals.
For the right hand side ones, you can either attempt a highside, or go around the roundabout backwards...

MSTRS
14th August 2006, 17:55
If you've got a steady hand, you can use a Stanley blade paint scraper.

DingDong
14th August 2006, 18:16
All of the above, the trick with old decals is not to worry about the residue left behind... just peel off the outer layer, dont use solvents, it may stuff you paint work... pick at it,scratch it, heat it up a LITTLE... it's a shitty job but you have to do it.

Once off go to an auto paint supply shop and buy some de-laminant... its expensive but you'll save hours (and I mean hours) of labour... dab it on to the residue and let it sit for 30-40 minutes, then just rub it all off with a clean rag or sommit.

Good luck:blip:

ZeroIndex
14th August 2006, 19:39
I recommend sliding the bike sideways off the greenwood roundabout. The road has a good 15 or 20 grit surface, and will make short work of the decals.
For the right hand side ones, you can either attempt a highside, or go around the roundabout backwards...

i picked up some fish 'n chips there at 6pm, and was considering it, except that my bike is in pieces, so i couldn't get it there if i wanted to.. unless i just duct taped the fairings to my body and did swan dives around that roundabout.. wear my leathers in at the same time :D p/t

ZeroIndex
14th August 2006, 19:39
Hot air gun......or hair dryer......:blip:

thanks, will try that..

ZeroIndex
14th August 2006, 21:49
um.. ok, i've got the heat gun.. now, what do i do with it? :D

ZeroIndex
15th August 2006, 06:36
....what do I do with the heat gun????

idb
15th August 2006, 08:12
GENTLY warm the decals, the adhesive will soften so that you can peel them off.
Don't get the gun too close and burn the fairings!

kickingzebra
15th August 2006, 08:53
Zero, Given your new signature;

Given an infinite universe and infinite time, all things will happen. That means that every event is inevitable, including those that are impossible.

I thought I had better inform you that as far as matter is concerned, an infinite universe is a very shakey idea.

Thought for the day.

vifferman
15th August 2006, 08:59
Use the heat gun / hair dryer to soften the adhesive on the decals, peel them off carefully. If any rip, you may need to scrape gently with a plastic scraper.
You don't need to use expensive solvents to get the remnants of adhesive off - use petrol, then follow up with meths (or your favourite alcoholic beverage).

ZeroIndex
15th August 2006, 10:26
GENTLY warm the decals, the adhesive will soften so that you can peel them off.
Don't get the gun too close and burn the fairings!

Use the heat gun / hair dryer to soften the adhesive on the decals, peel them off carefully. If any rip, you may need to scrape gently with a plastic scraper.
You don't need to use expensive solvents to get the remnants of adhesive off - use petrol, then follow up with meths (or your favourite alcoholic beverage).

lol vifferman @ "favourite alcoholic beverage"

Thanks, will try that after work :)

ZeroIndex
15th August 2006, 10:28
Zero, Given your new signature, I thought I had better inform you that as far as matter is concerned, an infinite universe is a very shakey idea.

Thought for the day.

Do you ever watch movies on your computer? if so, PM me, and I'll organise a time to drop by with my portable HDD, and Interstate 60 (the movie that quote is from) along with bunches of other movies :)

kickingzebra
15th August 2006, 11:46
Not saying the quote is bad mind... Just regurgitating some interesting reading I have come across.
Might take you up on that, but busy as heck for a week or so. Cheers

ZeroIndex
15th August 2006, 15:03
Not saying the quote is bad mind... Just regurgitating some interesting reading I have come across.
Might take you up on that, but busy as heck for a week or so. Cheers

no problem :) always getting tons of new movies/tv shows, and as everyone knows, when it comes to PCs: sharing is caring :D