PDA

View Full Version : KLR650, XT600, DR650, F650 etc wellywood

Bartman10
14th August 2006, 22:10
Hi folks :first:

Thinking of buying a big bore trailie for a bit of back road cruising. (Actually a lot of back road crusing, but more about that later) I want to chat to some owners and have a look at bikes, mods you've done, luggage systems, range, reliability etc...

There seems to be a shortage of demo bikes in wellywood at the mo. On the weekend I went to 5 bike shops with helmet and leathers in hand, but no one had anything for me to ride :angry:

There's a DR650SE in wellington motorcycles that I had a sit on and it felt OK. There's a F650GS in Sawyers that I've had a sit on too, but I'm a bit worried about its lack of off road capability. It's also nearly twice as expensive as the DR. :scooter:

I can't find a XT600 or KLR650 in any shops. I'd like to have a sit on these bikes before I travel a million miles to test ride one in another town, so if you've got one in your garage I'd love to come around an have a look and a chat about its characteristics. Note: Don't worry I don't want to ride your pride and joy, just a sit and a look to see if its worth driving for miles to test ride one. :first:

If you've got some other suggestions about big bore trailies let me know.

Cheers,

Bartman.

far queue
14th August 2006, 23:21
The sort of riding are you're thinking of doing will dictate what you need. What are you thinking of? The occassional shingle road, lots of shingle, 4wd tracks in good condition, 4wd tracks in shocking condition, river beds, bush bashing? And how do you want to ride them? Pick your way along carefully or charge through at a great rate? Short rides travelling light or long rides with camping gear? Lots of good bikes out there, so long as you pick the one that suits your needs.

In the meantime, have a read through this ... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28824

merv
15th August 2006, 08:28
Mrs merv has a 2004 DR650SE in the garage and it is fine. At 147kg dry I think it is the lightest of the bunch you have listed. Depends how tall you are too, as the DR has the easy adjust rear shock mount that allows the seat height to be lowered to a very comfortable 840mm, you just need to buy the shorter sidestand (or cut & weld the existing).

To me it has been a great back country road type of bike, and even on the seal we are running it with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket - they are just way too over-geared stock. There's a thread somewhere where we talked about this.

Its light on gas. Only downers I would say is it is not the smoothest engine you'd imagine vibration wise and once I fitted an alloy bashplate reflecting all the engine noise it sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling (maybe all Suzukis are like that huh!).

So bashplate is on and the usual Ventura pack rack and a headlight guard.

As an old dirt biker from way back I wouldn't call it a true trail bike - too big and heavy for me for that, but then I'm a small fellah. I wouldn't buy any of the other bikes you listed because of their weight, but then it does depend on your size and the purpose you want to put it to.

chris
15th August 2006, 08:43
DR650, no question. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to maintain and heaps of ability.

Devil
15th August 2006, 09:19
What mileage and corresponding range do you get out of the DR650?
I'm considering moving to a DR or an XT660. More likely to head for the yamaha just for the extra on-road poke...But willing to consider the DR, being $3k cheaper.

clint640
15th August 2006, 09:19
Good comments above. There are no real dogs in the category, although there are some minor known problems with KLRs & pre '03 DRs that usually need fixing. DRs & XTs are good, KLRs & F650s are good if you want more range & highway comfort at the cost of a bit of weight. The KTM 640 is the powerhouse of the bunch & packs a bit more bling, but more $$ too & many don't like it's vibration.

Cheers
Clint

clint640
15th August 2006, 09:23
What mileage and corresponding range do you get out of the DR650?
I'm considering moving to a DR or an XT660. More likely to head for the yamaha just for the extra on-road poke...But willing to consider the DR, being $3k cheaper.

A DR650 is good for around 230km to empty, at ~5.2L/100km

Cheers
Clint

chris
15th August 2006, 09:26
If you would like a copy of the last long term report we did on 'our' DR650, e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Chris

Ruralman
15th August 2006, 10:25
If you are doing gravel roads, and good tracks plus some highway use the 650 or the older 600 (depending on Budget) Transalp is also worth a look. I get 300km out of a tank without any trouble (18-21km/litre depending on driver mood) and it has really good weather protection on the highway as well as a very torquey smooth motor and very comfortable seat. You can pick up a good 650 for $8-9K
If you want to do trail riding then forget it - 191kg dry is just too heavy. It will handle rough tracks as long as there is reasonable grip but if there's great big holes etc I'd rather jump them on my KDX. For gravel roads tho the Transalp is great.
There's a huge number of luggage options for the Transalp - I have a big lockable topbox on mine and also the soft bags it came with which I would use on a trip that had more risk of me tipping up.
One other bike to consider if you're buying second hand would be the Yamaha TTR 600. Lighter and more trail friendly than the XT with better trail suspension.

clint640
15th August 2006, 10:41
The XR650L is another one to look out for, though they're not common. Good if you're a tall bugger as they have about the highest seat height in the class.

Cheers
Clint

far queue
15th August 2006, 11:06
What mileage and corresponding range do you get out of the DR650?I get 16km/L = 160km to reserve and 208km in total from the 13L tank. 16km/L is very consistant, it doesn't seem to matter how I ride it, except for long periods of open road at over 120kph when it drops to 14km/L.

A DR650 is good for around 230km to empty, at ~5.2L/100km I used to get around 17.5km/L when it was brand new which = 227.5 km per tank. But brand new they're set up too lean and was causing problems, once that was sorted the range dropped a bit. When I get around to fitting a bigger tank, I'll fit the dynojet kit and new airfilter, which will increase the fuel consumption some more, hence the bigger tank needed. But think of the power :devil2: makes a big difference apparently.

XP@
15th August 2006, 11:57
Trade me search for 650 dual purpose bikes.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&mcat=0001-0026-1255-&sidebar=1&39=Dual+purpose&40=&9=500&9=750&24=2000&24=2006&51=0&51=0&x=75&y=11
The search does miss a couple of bikes like F650's in the sports tourer class - doh.

Really it depends on what you want the bike for. Is it going to be your only bike?
Will you commute on it?
Take the girl friend camping / skiing?
Or will it be a second bike used for a day in the Akatawaras or Capital Coast adventures?

Really it depends on what you want from the bike as usual this is a personal decision.
Another bike to consider is the DL650 (weestrom) not very many have been coming up for sale. What ruled it out for me was 19' front wheel, fuel injection , no bash plate and the ergonomics just didn't fit me. I sat on the Transalp and it just fit.

far queue
15th August 2006, 12:05
I just dug all this stuff out of the archives that you may find usefull. It's research I did at the time I was looking for a new bike. Once I had decided on the DR650 I went overboard digging out everything I could on it looking for potential problems - it was all good. Some of it is repetitive and it's all 3.5 years old now, but still relevant.

I did similar, but not as much research on the XT600 at the time, but never kept that stuff, 'cos I didn't get one. The XT is a good bike too, but I just prefered the DR.

Ixion
15th August 2006, 12:11
I picked the XT600 for similar duty. Mainly sealed back roads, gravel roads, occasional forays off road, exploring, onto the beach etc. Didn't care about off road competativeness, and accepting that it is too big and heavy for serious off road work - but that was the tradeoff for a machine capable of covering long on road distances also. Mine was complicated a bit by the fact that it would also have to be my day to day commuter.

I wanted an air cooled engine, and something simple , where any breakdown could be fixed (enough to limp home anyway) by judicious application of boot and large rock. XT600s about as simple as they get nowdays.

I think it fits the bill quite well. Range is less than I'd like, but then, I'd like 1000km per tank (AND WHY NOT? I ask) . I'd have preferred a kickstart, just in case, but thems the breaks, it's a hard road finding the perfect bike, boy.

I'd have taken a DR650 happily enough, but the XT came along cheap , and a DR didn't.

It's too tall in the saddle for me of course, but then most bikes are. I just carry a little step ladder.

Crisis management
15th August 2006, 13:04
Thank you Bartman for this thread, I have the same quandry and am trying to decide which bike to get myself.
Looks like the DR then...... Anyone got a good one for sale in Auckland??

Henk
15th August 2006, 19:06
We've got a TTR600 and DR650. TTR has better suspension but no electric start and fuel range on the stock tank sucks. The DR has nicer motor and gearbox but is not as good off road. All these bikes are a compromise, figure out where you fit in the spectrum or better yet take a punt and figure out which way you need to move in a year or so, you'll have fun no matter what you opt for.

merv
15th August 2006, 19:29
Bartman10 if you are interested Mrs merv's DR appears in the pics on this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=23838 because being a newbies ride I thought we wouldn't need too much speed and its nice kinda sitting upright when we do those sort of rides. This will give you an idea of what the DR looks like in lowered form. It handles well. Suspension is quite soft - kinda plush.

Two up I should really screw the back preload up but its such a bugger to change I leave it alone. Only problem then is in lowered form with the weight of two of us on it, it runs the chain quite often against the top roller and with that spinning it sprays chain grease everywhere. Just as well Mrs merv has a good bike cleaner on tap and he likes doing a good job http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=23078.

Oscar
16th August 2006, 09:34
I currently own an LC4E, but have owned an F650GSD.
I've also ridden the DR650 extensively.

The BMW is a modified road bike, completely unsuitable for anything more than very easy off-road.

Out of the bikes you mentioned, I'd buy the DR.
Others worthly of consideration would be a road kitted DRZ400, a XR650L or Transalp...

sels1
16th August 2006, 09:53
Interesting thread. I had an XT400 which was a lot of fun but a bit underpowered on the road. I then had an F650 which was fine on the road but cumbersome off road - tho ok on gravel roads and easy trails. Currently running a Tiger for mainly road use with some gravel backroads thrown in. But I am considering getting another trailbike and looking at the XT and DR as likely options. There seems to be a lack of these on the market at a reasonable price.

"D" FZ1
16th August 2006, 09:57
We are not very close but we have a XT660X Demo in the shop now. Have sold a few and the guys love them.

Ruralman
16th August 2006, 13:04
I get 16km/L = 160km to reserve and 208km in total from the 13L tank. 16km/L is very consistant, it doesn't seem to matter how I ride it, except for long periods of open road at over 120kph when it drops to 14km/L.

I used to get around 17.5km/L when it was brand new which = 227.5 km per tank. But brand new they're set up too lean and was causing problems, once that was sorted the range dropped a bit. When I get around to fitting a bigger tank, I'll fit the dynojet kit and new airfilter, which will increase the fuel consumption some more, hence the bigger tank needed. But think of the power :devil2: makes a big difference apparently.

I'm a bit surprised how much fuel you say the DR uses. Are any other DR riders getting about the same and what do the XT600 riders get? Obviously depends on the right wrist a bit.
One of the posts also suggests a DRZ 400 with the road legal bits - these would be a great dual sport bike, especially if you could get a spare set of rims for serious knobbies for proper trail rides (you'd have to trailer it there). Options worth adding would be a comfort seat and a larger tank. They're dearer than the DR650 new but they go really well and would be better on tight stuff. Have no idea what their fuel consumption would be like on the road as anyone I know with one has the off road model. They weigh in the low 120's kg before fuel.

chris
16th August 2006, 14:27
One of the posts also suggests a DRZ 400 with the road legal bits -.Why not. They don't have the top end cruising of the 650 but are OK otherwise.

spare set of rims for serious knobbies for proper trail rides (you'd have to trailer it there).. Trailer it there??!! It's a five minute job to whip of the mirrors and pack rack if fitted.

They weigh in the low 120's kg before fuel.141KG brimmed.

merv
16th August 2006, 14:51
I'm sure our DR650 does easily over 20km/l though I haven't measured it lately. Ours is stock and I wouldn't alter it. They do run rather lean and take a lot of warming up and coaxing into life from cold because of that i.e. using the choke, but it seems to me all the Suzukis are like that if my old 250 and my Bro's 350 are anything to go by.

We've discussed DRZ400s on another thread too and my only comment about them and why I don't own one is they have a ridiculously close ratio five speed box for what really is quite a torqey engine. For the job Bartman is wanting to do I would say they don't fit the bill i.e long distance work.

chris
16th August 2006, 14:53
For the job Bartman is wanting to do I would say they don't fit the billAbsolutely.

far queue
16th August 2006, 16:03
I'm a bit surprised how much fuel you say the DR uses. Are any other DR riders getting about the same and what do the XT600 riders get? Obviously depends on the right wrist a bit.

I'm sure our DR650 does easily over 20km/l though I haven't measured it lately.

Well, I definately get 16km/L. It's 10L to reserve, and I ALWAYS run out within 4km of 160km. I also work it out when filling up before hitting reserve sometimes. I'm a bit anal about knowing exactly how far I can go on a tank, and the distance of the trips I do, due to the remote nature of a lot of them. I don't know what consumption other DR650's are getting. Lemans? SDU? Do you know what you've been getting?

Merv, I'm probably as surprised at your 20km/L as you are at my 16Km/L :confused: :scratch: That's 260km per tank, that would be great.

merv
16th August 2006, 16:11
You said you had rejetted yours or something didn't you? Ours is stock lean. Maybe I'll take it out this weekend and see what it does again. Mrs never really worries about such stuff.

Hell even my VFR does 20km/l if you don't race along at warp speed. It would only drop to 16km/l at very illegal speeds.

Garry.W
16th August 2006, 17:23
The BMW is a modified road bike, completely unsuitable for anything more than very easy off-road

Everyone is entitled to their opinion Oscar and sure the Dakar might not be as off-road oriented as your LC4E, but it is still well capable of more than just the very easy off-road stuff. Granted, they are a tad heavier (well lots really) than the others put up here as options but I've seen, and been in the odd position myself, to attest to a pretty good level of capability in some of the gnarlier stuff. Their real benefit lies in the Dakar's usuability in all situations from commuting; to the weekend adventure riding set; to the multi-day long distance safaris that are quite popular these days, particulalry for those where the choice for many is often limited to one bike in the garage.

Cheers mate, just my opinion :hug:

far queue
16th August 2006, 17:56
You said you had rejetted yours or something didn't you?No, I said when I get a bigger tank I want to fit the dynojet kit and another air filter (freer breathing one) The only changes from stock at the moment are - snorkel removed from airbox, and mixture screw adjusted. The bike shop adjusted the mixture when the bike went in for it's 1000km service - 11500km ago.

... the Dakar might not be as off-road oriented as your LC4E, but it is still well capable of more than just the very easy off-road stuff ... I've seen, and been in the odd position myself, to attest to a pretty good level of capability in some of the gnarlier stuff ...I'd go along with you on this, the Dakar is fairly capable, but it also depends on the riders ability, and willingness, to venture into the rough stuff. I think you need more ability to get away with the rough stuff on one, due to the weight as much as anything. For most people I would say it's not a bike to be venturing toooo far into the rough.

Oscar
16th August 2006, 18:09
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Oscar and sure the Dakar might not be as off-road oriented as your LC4E, but it is still well capable of more than just the very easy off-road stuff. Granted, they are a tad heavier (well lots really) than the others put up here as options but I've seen, and been in the odd position myself, to attest to a pretty good level of capability in some of the gnarlier stuff. Their real benefit lies in the Dakar's usuability in all situations from commuting; to the weekend adventure riding set; to the multi-day long distance safaris that are quite popular these days, particulalry for those where the choice for many is often limited to one bike in the garage.

Cheers mate, just my opinion :hug:

Don't get me started on F650's...
Firstly I wasn't comparing it to my LC4, but to a DR650.
BMW missed what could have been a fantastic adventure bike by sheer pig headed corporate stupidity.

In order to get a number that said 50hp, they went to fuel injection, but didn't test it enough. Mine was on it's eighth software version, and still ran like a bag o' crap. There was nought wrong with the old Rotax donk.

Let me ask you this, what is the number one attraction of big singles?
Their tractability and grunt.

So what, I ask you, is the bloody point of a big single that is peaky, and worse, won't idle under about 1500-2000 rpm??? Ever try riding one down a slippery greasey hill? No engine braking...in fact the opposite of engine braking...

Which leds me to the pissant rear brake.......I told you not to get me started...

{deep breath }

So what you end up with is a bike that's near twice the price of yer humble DR650 and nowhere near as capable for it's intended purpose. Not as good on the road, maybe, but you can buy yerself a damn fine commuter for the difference in price.

Lastly, if ya wanna be really depressed - ride yer F650 back to back with an XLV650 Transalp...

merv
16th August 2006, 18:40

So what, I ask you, is the bloody point of a big single that is peaky, and worse, won't idle under about 1500-2000 rpm??? Ever try riding one down a slippery greasey hill? No engine braking...in fact the opposite of engine braking...

I got a surprise at one of our lunches (4skins was in attendance) when our mate Mike was describing his F650 going downhill with the engine management system keeping it up to idle speed, compared to what I'm used to - on my brakes and make the engine slog down as low as it can just off stalling to hold traction. Not for me for sure.

However, the distances Bartman wants to run he perhaps shouldn't discount the BMW - they come in low seat height for the Mrs too. I'd say drop into Sawyers/Motorad and have a word to Brendan (one of the Silk Riders) about the pros and cons of them. I know they had electrical troubles on the journey. The DR while a good bike and we'll see if it fits his Mrs, might not have the support where he wants to go I suspect but then I know nothing about that really, just suggesting that research could be required on that aspect too.

laRIKin
16th August 2006, 18:42
I ALWAYS run out within 4km of 160km. I also work it out when filling up before hitting reserve sometimes. I'm a bit anal about knowing exactly how far I can go on a tank, and the distance of the trips I do, due to the remote nature of a lot of them. I don't know what consumption other DR650's are getting. Lemans? SDU? Do you know what you've been getting?

I'm not sure on SDU's DR as I do not ride it.:innocent:
I will get her to reply to this thread.
But when we did the Brass Monkey we did two long rides between fuel stops.
That was from Palmerston to Timaru (144k's) and then to CH.CH (163K's) and she hit reserve both times I think.
Just before Timaru and about Dunsandel (25-30K's before CH.CH)
She has said that she hit's reserve earlier than you (F/Q) more than once.
Her bike may just have a bigger reserve (longer hose) or we are running lower gearing. From memory we are one tooth down on the front from stock.
I'm not sure really and could be talking out of a hole in my.......:shutup:

far queue
16th August 2006, 19:01
...or we are running lower gearing. From memory we are one tooth down on the front from stock ...Stock is 15/41. I run 13 or 14 or 15/44 depending on where I'm going. The brass was 15/44 for me and I was getting 16km/L. When we're playing at the Waimak I'm running 13/44 and I get ............ yep, 16km/L.

Transalper
16th August 2006, 20:41
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Oscar and sure the Dakar might not be as off-road oriented as your LC4E, but it is still well capable of more than just the very easy off-road stuff. Tell u what, i owned a 2000F650GS (NOT A DAKAR) and for various reasons including some of the stuff mentioned in previous posts, now think of it as a horrible piece of.. anyway, to cut a long story short i reckon what ever you do, if you go for an F650 make sure you get one of the Dakars if only to get that 21 inch front wheel. That alone will make a huge difference to the off road ability of the bike over a standard GS.

Lastly, if ya wanna be really depressed - ride yer F650 back to back with an XLV650 Transalp...
I did, borrowed a mates 600 for a whole weekend then got back on the F650, and no prises for guessing what happened next. Gotta love that V-Twin engine.

Ruralman
16th August 2006, 21:06
Why not. They don't have the top end cruising of the 650 but are OK otherwise.
. Trailer it there??!! It's a five minute job to whip of the mirrors and pack rack if fitted.
141KG brimmed.

The reason I suggested trailering it to a trail ride was if you put serious off road Knobbies on - many of these are illegal on the road (for good reason) and you'd feel like a ------ that had just spent a hour on a vibrator if you drove any distance on the seal, as well as tearing them to bits.

Ruralman
16th August 2006, 21:09
We've discussed DRZ400s on another thread too and my only comment about them and why I don't own one is they have a ridiculously close ratio five speed box for what really is quite a torqey engine. For the job Bartman is wanting to do I would say they don't fit the bill i.e long distance work.[/QUOTE]

Have you or anyone riden the new DRZ 400 Motard - is the gearing on it any different.
I know the standard DRZ 400 will do 140km/hr on the beach but I wouldn't want to sit on it on the road for any time at that.

merv
16th August 2006, 21:17
Have you or anyone riden the new DRZ 400 Motard - is the gearing on it any different.
I know the standard DRZ 400 will do 140km/hr on the beach but I wouldn't want to sit on it on the road for any time at that.

Haven't ridden one but I suspect they'd have the same box ratios and maybe different final ratios but the close ratio would suit motarding where you've only got to slip clutch to get off the line and you're away. You aren't needing to plonk up tricky rocky slopes around tight corners and then blast along fast as well, you're trying to go fast the whole time.

Ruralman
16th August 2006, 21:27
Someone also suggested a XR 650 - these are also great bikes and can handle the trail well with the right tyres. Can you get them with electric start tho? I have a neighbour who rides some of the trail trips down here on one. he's a pretty good rider and enjoys the bike till it gets stuck - then its a pig. It is also a pain to get started when hot - bloody frustrating when you've just picked it up on a muddy trail and you've got wet slippy boots, worse if you're under 6ft.

laRIKin
16th August 2006, 21:33
Stock is 15/41. I run 13 or 14 or 15/44 depending on where I'm going. The brass was 15/44 for me and I was getting 16km/L. When we're playing at the Waimak I'm running 13/44 and I get ............ yep, 16km/L.

I was about right with the mileage (144K's to about 10-11L of petrol) and the gearing is 14/43.
I have never worried about working out fuel economy, just tank range.

far queue
16th August 2006, 21:54
The reason I suggested trailering it to a trail ride was if you put serious off road Knobbies on - many of these are illegal on the road (for good reason) and you'd feel like a ------ that had just spent a hour on a vibrator if you drove any distance on the seal, as well as tearing them to bits.This is what I run all the time, including down to the Brass and back. They're legal, I don't find vibration to be problem, my arse was fine, and they havn't torn to bits ... I'm not a trailer faggot :ride:

Ruralman
16th August 2006, 22:19
This is what I run all the time, including down to the Brass and back. They're legal, I don't find vibration to be problem, my arse was fine, and they havn't torn to bits ... I'm not a trailer faggot :ride:

Bit dark to get a pic of the ones on my KDX but they're med motocross tyres and the gaps are way bigger than on yours - for the mud, much of it steep as well, on the trips we do you'd do a lot of pushing with your tyres but they'd be great for drier tracks and the gravel. I can see why they don't vibrate much either from that tread pattern - what are they? How many Kms would you expect ?

far queue
16th August 2006, 22:35
... what are they? How many Kms would you expect ?Here's the front one - they're Mitas E09's, and work well everywhere I've had them so far, including sloppy mud. I don't know that you can go too much more open and still be legal - not a problem on the KDX of course. Those pics were when they were new on - I've done around 2000km on them so far and they're wearing OK - hoping for 6000km from them and expect them to be completely rooted by then. That's what I got from the Pirelli MT21's I had on last.

Garry.W
17th August 2006, 09:06

Not like you to hold back Oscar, but my intent was not to get you started on F650's. I'm first to agree with you about some of its limitations, but then every bike is a compromise of some sort or another. I happen to like my Dakar a lot, I've not seemed to have the problems of dogdy fuel injetion management and the like that others describe and it suits me for the type of riding I like to do. Sure, I get myself into some sticky situations and it's highly probable that in some of these situations (you know the ones where you think a WR450 would be nice) another bike would be better. Admittedly I have thought about switching to a KTM or the like from time to time, but then I go out again on the Dakar and love it. My intent in posting an opposing opinion on the Dakar is so that Bartman is reasonably informed in his ulitmate choice. Will you let me ride your LC4 when I see you up North soon :yes:

Oscar
17th August 2006, 09:15
Not like you to hold back Oscar, but my intent was not to get you started on F650's. I'm first to agree with you about some of its limitations, but then every bike is a compromise of some sort or another. I happen to like my Dakar a lot, I've not seemed to have the problems of dogdy fuel injetion management and the like that others describe and it suits me for the type of riding I like to do. Sure, I get myself into some sticky situations and it's highly probable that in some of these situations (you know the ones where you think a WR450 would be nice) another bike would be better. Admittedly I have thought about switching to a KTM or the like from time to time, but then I go out again on the Dakar and love it. My intent in posting an opposing opinion on the Dakar is so that Bartman is reasonably informed in his ulitmate choice. Will you let me ride your LC4 when I see you up North soon :yes:

I was holding back.
You should see what happens when I get excited (I do hold the record for generating the most abusive letters to Kiwi Rider Magazine).

And no.

You can't ride my LC4.

'Cause I'll have my LC8 - but if you ask nicely I might let you ride that...

XP@
17th August 2006, 09:52

Done that, well almost. Sold my 125,000km old F650, borrowed a dr650 for a week then took delivery of a brand new Transalp :-)

The F650 was more than my bike, it was part of me. But the suspention was shot, power was not really there (second gear gone) it was getting a bit tired.

The DR was quick off the mark, but really buzzy on the motorway commute.

Then the Transalp fun, a bike that handled well, has all the gears and generally smooth. It does miss a little power in places, but then I look down and remember i want to keep my licence. Longish distance (300kms) was no problem even after a day on the desk chair.

Off road the stock tyres were sh1t in the mud... they can, and will, be changed. Gravel, nice and quick, the 21" front heaps nicer than the 19" on the F650. I swapped for a while with a DR650 and it is a world of difference, The lighter suzy massively easier in really deep sticky mud.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2919992#post2919992

IMHO if you are looking for your main bike and you want to use it for everything then get a Transalp, or maybe a late model F650 Dakar. if your buget won't do one of these then a DR650 is good.
If you are going to have a small trail bike and a tourer look at the DL650 weestrom (these only have 19" front so limited tyres and gravel ability).

Garry.W
17th August 2006, 09:54
I'll have my LC8 - but if you ask nicely I might let you ride that...

You're a champion :first:

I'll take you up on that, I rode one briefly at the last Pukemanu Ride :gob:

Oscar
17th August 2006, 09:56
You're a champion :first:

I'll take you up on that, I rode one briefly at the last Pukemanu Ride :gob:

Yeah, I got a brief ride at Pukemanu too.
Mainly because Roger pinched it for most of the ride (they had to shut a gate to get it back).

Bartman10
17th August 2006, 13:28
Thanks for all the replies. Some useful information there.

I'm thinking about getting some custom panniers made too. Does anyone know any decent aluminium welders in Wellington who could do panniers for a fair price. Would you recomend custom paniers or would you buy commercial jobs? I'm keen on your thoughts.

I'm gonna check out an XT and hopefully a KLR this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Bartman.

Ruralman
17th August 2006, 13:35
Thanks for all the replies. Some useful information there.

I'm thinking about getting some custom panniers made too. Does anyone know any decent aluminium welders in Wellington who could do panniers for a fair price. Would you recomend custom paniers or would you buy commercial jobs? I'm keen on your thoughts.

I'm gonna check out an XT and hopefully a KLR this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Bartman.

There's a DR650 SE on Trademe at the moment which has got panniers on the back and also one hanging off the side of the tank - have a look and ask them if it looks interesting.

Ruralman
17th August 2006, 13:46
Here's the front one - they're Mitas E09's, and work well everywhere I've had them so far, including sloppy mud. I don't know that you can go too much more open and still be legal - not a problem on the KDX of course. Those pics were when they were new on - I've done around 2000km on them so far and they're wearing OK - hoping for 6000km from them and expect them to be completely rooted by then. That's what I got from the Pirelli MT21's I had on last.

thanks for that - if you're coming down Sth Otago way let me know and we'll take a strop round the farm and put that back tyre to the test!!!
I have wondered about putting tyres like yours on my Transalp to make it better off road but I won't because I keep coming back to the fact that even with thos tyres on its still 200kg plus with fuel etc so I'll restrict it to gravel roads and good dry or grippy tracks. Once it gets rougher than that you need to be able to raise the front wheel easily if you want to make decent progress - and that is just too hard to do onthe T/A. The 640 KTM however would be right at home, the DR & TTR too, the KLR doubtful and I don't really know about the XT but would expect it to be OK but at a lesser pace.

far queue
17th August 2006, 19:34
thanks for that - if you're coming down Sth Otago way let me know and we'll take a strop round the farm and put that back tyre to the test!!!Sure thing, where abouts in South Otago are you?

I have wondered about putting tyres like yours on my Transalp to make it betterYou need to have a chat with transalper, he's got the same tyres on his ... Transalp

Ruralman
17th August 2006, 21:06
Sure thing, where abouts in South Otago are you?

You need to have a chat with transalper, he's got the same tyres on his ... Transalp

I am about halfway between Milton and Lawrence on a side road on the Lawrence side of the Manuka Gorge. When are you going to be down?
I'm going up to Akaroa Mon-Weds next week to catch up on some friends and do some work stuff on the way but I don't think I'll have a chance to do any meeting of ChCh kiwibikers - looking forward to that Port Hills road tho.
The thing that would worry me about those tyres on the T/A would be on seal in the wet. I'm doing around 7000-10000 km a year so I can't help but get a few wet trips. I get the odd twitch from the michelins I've got on the back now and I don't want that getting any worse.

far queue
17th August 2006, 22:03
I am about halfway between Milton and Lawrence on a side road on the Lawrence side of the Manuka Gorge. When are you going to be down?That's a long way from here, but handy for the Brass Monkey for you. I don't have any immediate plans to be down that way, but bound to be down there sometime.

I'm going up to Akaroa Mon-Weds next week ... but I don't think I'll have a chance to do any meeting of ChCh kiwibikers ...Maybe next time, or if next time is the Feb trip, then for sure.

The thing that would worry me about those tyres on the T/A would be on seal in the wet.I just take it easy on the wet seal and they've been OK.

warewolf
18th August 2006, 07:19
So what, I ask you, is the bloody point of a big single that is peaky, and worse, won't idle under about 1500-2000 rpm??? Ever try riding one down a slippery greasey hill? No engine braking...in fact the opposite of engine braking...I hadn't made the connection before...doesn't the F650 series have a "feature" in the injection program that holds the idle speed up supposedly to make it easier to ride the big thumper in stop-start traffic? Something along those lines anyway. I test rode one with this "feature" and it definitely shitted me more than it helped; cutting in when I least expected it, and cutting out suddenly when I was used to it/relying on it.

Garry.W
18th August 2006, 08:10
I hadn't made the connection before...doesn't the F650 series have a "feature" in the injection program that holds the idle speed up supposedly to make it easier to ride the big thumper in stop-start traffic? Something along those lines anyway. I test rode one with this "feature" and it definitely shitted me more than it helped; cutting in when I least expected it, and cutting out suddenly when I was used to it/relying on it.

Hi ya Colin,

Don't know about a "feature" built in but the fuel injection system controls the fuel/air mixture very accurately (mainly for emission control reasons in UE) and deals well with big single-cylindered engines where air can flow too slowly for efficient carburetion (i.e. performance). Given BMW’s fondness for electronic engine management systems, the fact that FI integrates easily here makes it an obvious choice. The US markets slightly different machines to the European spec bikes, certainly there are differences in programming and emission controls. Early F650GSs (both the regular GS and Dakar version from around 2001) were plagued with stalling and surging problems. The stalling typically occurred at idle or upon deceleration. The surging would generally occur between 3,500 and 4,000 RPMs. The US-spec bikes, which had more stringent emissions controls, were most prone to these problems and, although rest of the world owners have reported similar problems, it seems to be the US owners who keep making objective claims about the dodginess of their bike. The software has been written to keep the idle speed high when you are still rolling, to prevent the stalling problem which used to occur on the early fuel-injected models. The surging and stalling type issues are now resolved, I have an 03 Dakar and don't seem to have any of the problems often reported. Granted, a steep & slippery slope is not an ideal place to try out a Dakar but there are ways of managing these once you know what to do on the way down - gravity is such a wonderful thing :yes:

Cheers
Garry

Transalper
18th August 2006, 08:32
The thing that would worry me about those tyres on the T/A would be on seal in the wet. I'm doing around 7000-10000 km a year so I can't help but get a few wet trips. I get the odd twitch from the michelins I've got on the back now and I don't want that getting any worse.So which Michelins do u have on?
I can't say I've had any problem slipping in the wet with the E09's. My cornering speed in the wet is very similar (just a little slower at times) to my dry speed, i just concerntrate more on being smooth, no sudden twitches and try to remember to ride to the conditions.
I've had worse slipping in the wet on my CBR at slower speeds on the same corners with supposed good wet weather tyres when i had it.
The only concern i have with the E09's is that i'm only expecting the 6000km range in them as opposed to the even better in the wet/pretty good dirt/not so good in slush E07's that took me 12000k and were still alive (and possibly will go back on in Summer to finish them) when changed for the Brass Monkey adventure where we went in slush.
Isn't there a whole thread dedicated to the tyre topic....yes there is.
Why are we here... oh thats right...

I've sometimes thought I'd like a DR650 as well because if your riding a bike that's light enough to pick up by yourself with out straining anything then I find more confidance for going up the slippery slopes and places I expect to have to pick up the bike. The ride is more relaxed and I can let loose a little, as i do with the CRF but can't ride CRF on the road.

far queue
18th August 2006, 09:09
... I've sometimes thought I'd like a DR650 as well because if your riding a bike that's light enough to pick up by yourself with out straining anything ... Is this after I provided an example to you of coming off and picking it up on our last ride :innocent:

warewolf
18th August 2006, 10:02
Thanks for the info Garry.

The software has been written to keep the idle speed high when you are still rolling, to prevent the stalling problem which used to occur on the early fuel-injected models.So you're saying there *is* such a feature then? Is it on the current bikes, or was it phased out when the other issues were sorted?

Not shopping, just curious.

Garry.W
18th August 2006, 11:22
Thanks for the info Garry.
So you're saying there *is* such a feature then? Is it on the current bikes, or was it phased out when the other issues were sorted?

Not shopping, just curious.

Correct, and I understand no different to older or newer versions of the GS. The idle is set to be raised if the bike is travelling to around 2000rpm. The idle returns to around 1400rpm when at standstill. This is a bit of an issue on downhills, as we have all found in the past. The main reason is for a smooth transition between just rolling and standstill. Surging problems that people take about, again mostly those overseas with US models, are a different issue. There are a number of program updates which make the "driveability" (if that's a word) of the bike better, these updates can be checked and installed by Dealers. Mine's been done, which is probably why I don't have the problems.

merv
18th August 2006, 12:02
God I just love my carburettors.

SDU
18th August 2006, 12:25
I was about right with the mileage (144K's to about 10-11L of petrol) and the gearing is 14/43.
I have never worried about working out fuel economy, just tank range.

I'll have to start taking a bit more notice off what I put in the tank. It is usually approx 10L on fill. But as Lemans has said 144-146kms & I hit reserve doesn't matter what type off riding I've been doing either, but the more freezing it is- the slightly sooner I hit reserve. I haven't run on reserve to find out how lge it is cause I'm not keen on pushing. The most I think I have done on a tank was about 165kms. The guy we bought it off said he has squeezed 240kms max on a trip.
I don't know what the jetting etc is. We haven't played with it since we got it as it seems to run well. Starting is a breeze it is not a cold bitch like my XT is.

XP@
18th August 2006, 14:32

I made some for my F650... they were indestructable, I wouldn't try and make my own again.
If you are planning a RTW go for touratech or other pre made boxes.
or my current preferance soft throw over bags, a canoe bag and some tie downs.
Is there a luggage thread?

clint640
18th August 2006, 15:17
I made some for my F650... they were indestructable, I wouldn't try and make my own again.
If you are planning a RTW go for touratech or other pre made boxes.
or my current preferance soft throw over bags, a canoe bag and some tie downs.
Is there a luggage thread?

Why wouldn't you make your own again? I would have thought that with the astromonical price of touratech & suchlike it would be a good proposition. I know a couple of good alloy fabricators who could make me some boxes for way less than the 4 figures it would cost for the ready made jobs.

Dead right about the soft luggage, it's better in every way except security I reckon.

Cheers
Clint

far queue
18th August 2006, 15:42
... Thinking of buying a big bore trailie for a bit of back road cruising. (Actually a lot of back road crusing, but more about that later) ...

... If you are planning a RTW go for touratech or other pre made boxes ...

Soooooo ... what sort of riding are you planing on doing Bartman? It would make it easier to make recomendations if we knew :wait:

Ruralman
18th August 2006, 22:55
[QUOTE=Transalper;722747]So which Michelins do u have on?
I have Michelin SIRAC 130/80 on the rear and pirelli MT90 on front. If I put more mud traction on the rear it would expose the limits of the front pretty quickly I think (in muddy conditions)
This combo works really well on gravel and it looks like they will last pretty well.

If I was looking for a good big bore trailie i reckon I'd look very closely at a TTR 600 and put a bigger tank on it (15l would be enough). I know its a kick start but they have a good reputation for cold and hot starting - its their suspension that would be the thing for me. It would have been fantastic fun on a ride like the one you did to Loch Katrine (or whatever it was called).

XTC
18th August 2006, 23:02
I quite like my XT but I wouldn't take it to far into the bush.....

Ruralman
18th August 2006, 23:07
[QUOTE=far queue; I'm a bit anal about knowing exactly how far I can go on a tank, and the distance of the trips I do, due to the remote nature of a lot of them. I don't know what consumption other DR650's are getting. Lemans? SDU? Do you know what you've been getting?

Merv, I'm probably as surprised at your 20km/L as you are at my 16Km/L :confused: :scratch: That's 260km per tank, that would be great.[/QUOTE]

A bit anal?? Ok try this -
My 75cc chainsaw runs for 30 mins on 700ml of premix. If that was on a bike on a trail ride averaging 25km/hr that would work out to 35km/litre - and I thought the thing was a gas hog!!! now I can leave the handsaw at home and buzz away guilt free!!
On the other hand my KVF650 ATV only goes about 70-80 km on a tank which I think holds about 20litres - thats so f-ing depressing i'm not even going to work it out.
My KDX 220 does near enough to 10km/ltre - and I don't think it is possible to ride it sedately
Any more of this and I'll have to ride around in a diesel ute - stuff that

fishb8nz
20th August 2006, 12:45
I'm reading this cos I've got the F650 motor on my F650CS. Definitely a road only bike. The motor has behaved impeccably for 10k km, no surging or stalling. Tickover is 1400 rpm. Fuel consumption is usually 26 km/litre but goes down to 24.5 when night riding in winter (high beams/heated grips). Starts first time, whatever the weather, when you follow the correct starting sequence.

moko
20th August 2006, 13:28
All of these bikes are road bikes that will struggle in the bush,if you want to do that but still want something that`s easy to live with go for the XR650 or TT600.I had an XT600 before I got my Fazer,thing i liked was that it`s really basic,drop it and you can pretty much kick it straight and carry on,only thing you do need to bear in mind is that top gear is very much an over-drive,lug along at low revs in top and you`ll join the "XT gearbox rebuilders club",though the later E model(electric start)got a beefed up box.What did amaze me was the fuel consumption,Fazer`s a high-performance machine but I get the same miles per gallon as I did from the XT,not impressive.Apart from the gearbox thing Xts are pretty much bullet-proof and a popular choice for round the world types,I`ve seen one on the net that had done 200,000 miles,o.k. that`s with a couple of re-bores and a major engine re-build but very impressive nonetheless,and yes thats miles not kilometres.In normal use as long as you change the oil regularly they`ll run and run,not fast,not flash but they definately grow on you.My Fazer`s the best bike I`ve ever owned but I still regret having to chop the XT in to get it,only thing I dont miss is the bloody awful seat,I did a 100 mile trip on it once and couldn`t walk properly for 3 days.Bought the Fazer the next week.

XTC
20th August 2006, 16:54
Just got back from the ride safe 350(miles) on my XT. I did about 650kms today and I can walk fine. I did have a sheep skin on it tho... Great ride and it reminded me why I love my XT. Not flash and showy just go and go-y. :)

Ixion
20th August 2006, 17:51
Did 400km over 5 hours on the XT yesterday, mixture of back sealed roads and gravel with a few stops, seat felt fine at the end, only just starting to feel a bit stiff in the back and legs.

Worked out at 17 km per litre overall, not as good as I would like, but I was pushing it pretty hard on the seal, using the indirects a lot through the corners. Ride it like a crusier and mileage might be better.

It goes very well on seal treated like a sports single, bang down through the gears on the way into the corners and haul hard out of them, hardly need brakes.

merv
20th August 2006, 18:09
Check out this link http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=34246 I did a quick fuel check for ya on Mrs merv's DR650. Its on the "out of the shop" roadie/dirt tyres but I reckon even if I put knobblies on it the gas use wouldn't change much.

merv
20th August 2006, 18:12
.... using the indirects a lot through the corners....

I presume you are talking about the gears and it shows you are even an older bugger than me talking like that. Obviously you are used to a mainshaft and lay shaft and direct drive top gear - like you might have had on a Triumph or something. Now of course the Jappas are all indirect in every gear with input on one shaft and output on the other and most higher gears being overdriven.

Ixion
20th August 2006, 18:22
Well, yes, true. On a Japper box all gears are indirects. But it's a handy term.

laRIKin
20th August 2006, 18:53
Well I have recommended a bike yet.

And now I will, in my experience I have found that the KTM 640 LC4's are the ducks nut's off road and are OK on the road
Lights, seat and vibe's are there down fall, but there off road capabilities make up for it.
And I will live with those short comings as I want an off road bike that goes on the street.

I would love to (and can) buy a another bike (doesn't matter) but after the ripping off road ride today that I had to day on the 640.
I will not sell the 640, I may buy this other bike one day and when I buy it will have to be stable mates with the 640.
The new 07 690 revamp model could sway me, but I think I will save my money for the 950.

It could be argued that some, if not all of the others could be better on the road.
But take them off road and the KTM will eat them.
Remember that the early 640 were MX bike and have that heritage in their blood the other do not.

I think buy the flavour that YOU like or one that the price is right.
Read up the short comings and see if you can work around them.

At the end of the day, they all have their fan's and they are happy and love their bike no matter what others say about them.

Crisis management
20th August 2006, 19:26
Well, yes, true. On a Japper box all gears are indirects. But it's a handy term.

Thank you Ixion, I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about and thank you Merv, I am obviously too young to have understood.
That's made my day, the kids have been saying 50 is too old for most things, proved wrong again!!:yes:

Dave Klaui
27th August 2006, 20:39
Just thought you might want to consider a Kawasaki KLE 500 Twin.
I spotted a 2006 ex demo model @ Motorad(wgtn) the other week for 8k.
Great value for the money & highly versatile machine which is capable of 50/50 road-trail depending on your riding nature.
Ive got one these bikes. Mines 15yrs old with 71k on the clock and goes extremely well for an old bike. I soley use the KLE for leisure, either for adventure riding or the ocassional blatt over the Rimi's to the Wairarapa.
Anyway, you are welcome to come and take a look. The 2006 version is exactly the same apart from the faring design features.
Cheers Dave.

Bartman10
16th October 2006, 09:57
Thanks for all that...

Fraggle and I have decided to go for a couple of DR650. Mainly because they're light and simple and can handle a few knocks. And they're very easy to lower for Fraggle. Only drawback is the small tank. Wickedly impressed by the fuel efficiency though. 150 k for 6.5 L! Wicked.

Picked them up from Dannevirke (thanks Paul and Jarrod) and took them over to Taupo to help out at the vic club meeting...

After that went over to Taihape and then did the Napier Taihape road. Great ride...

Dropped them off again in Dannevirke for the first service.

I'll keep you posted...

chris
16th October 2006, 10:02
Thanks for all that...

Fraggle and I have decided to go for a couple of DR650. Mainly because they're light and simple and can handle a few knocks. And they're very easy to lower for Fraggle. Only drawback is the small tank. Wickedly impressed by the fuel efficiency though. 150 k for 6.5 L! Wicked.

Picked them up from Dannevirke (thanks Paul and Jarrod) and took them over to Taupo to help out at the vic club meeting...

After that went over to Taihape and then did the Napier Taihape road. Great ride...

Dropped them off again in Dannevirke for the first service.

I'll keep you posted...
Good choice.

far queue
16th October 2006, 15:06
Wickedly impressed by the fuel efficiency though. 150 k for 6.5 L! Wicked.23 km/l is pretty damn good compared to my 16km/l. I take it they're still on stock gearing (15/41) and the mixture, etc hasn't been played with.

Bartman10
16th October 2006, 15:55
23 km/l is pretty damn good compared to my 16km/l. I take it they're still on stock gearing (15/41) and the mixture, etc hasn't been played with.

I agree it's good. Still running in though, so taking it pretty easy. Also had a bit of a tail wind which probably helps.

I think I'll leave it stock. The tall gearing might be a bit much for serious off road work, but it seems to be fine on the tarmac.

Ixion
16th October 2006, 16:52
I started out think I was going to get only about 16km/litre on the XT600, which was rather disappointing. But now it seems to have settled down to a fairly consistent 21 - 23 km/litre,. Difference is riding style I guess, prolly just as fast just different. That gives 230 - 250 km until it hits reserve .

merv
16th October 2006, 19:49
Yeah far queue if you stopped saying far queue to your bike perhaps it would drink less gas. You have a serious guzzle problem unless the air is too thin down under in ChCh.

oldrider
16th October 2006, 22:12
It has been interesting reading all the comments from experienced people who are riding off road bikes for their obvious "off road/on road" capabilities.

I get sick of reading venture bike reports from "sport bike" riders doing a test run/comparison etc, when all they continue to do is compare the venture bike to their sport bikes performance!

These are not and never will be "sports bikes", they are dull by comparison and will always be so! They are made for a different purpose!

I read a write up in a British magazine called "TWO" (Two wheels) September 2005, headed up, "Boring bikes to Belgium."

The bikes being tested/compared were,
Ducati Multistrada 620.
Honda Transalp XLv650.
Kawasaki KLE500.
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom.

I thought their writeup was very interesting really and didn't entirely disagree with their conclusions, from their perspective as "sportbike" enthusiasts riding on sealed roads and wishing all the time that they were riding "sportbikes".

The order of their preference was.
1) Suzuki DL650 V-Strom.
2) Ducati Multistrada 620.
3) Honda TransAlp XLv650.
4) Kawasaki KLE 500.

The poor old Kawasaki didn't stand a dog's show with these guys except in a commuting situation, which was their only praise, you can guess why! (only 500cc!)

Top speeds posted as follows.
1) Ducati Multistrada 620. 122.5mph. (Standing 1/4r 13.22sec@98.14mph)
2) Honda TransAlp XLv650. 115.6mph.(Standing 1/4r 14.30sec@89.60mph)
3) Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. 114.6mph. (Standing 1/4r 13.32sec@98.48mph)
4) Kawasaki KLE500. 104.3mph. (Standing 1/4r 15.10sec@86.72mph)

Fuel economy.
4) Kawasaki KLE500. (Reserve:98 miles, to dry tank, 125 miles)
3) Ducati Multistrada 620. (107 miles to 135)
2) Honda TransAlp XLv650. (127 miles to 146)
1) Suzuki DL650 V-Strom (185 miles to 221)

The real standout feature of course was the Suzuki's fuel range compared to the other three! Outstanding!

The rest of their conclusions are not worth the trouble to rewrite because they are things like;
For the sportier rider the DL650 is well worth a look, an excellent back road bike, it's clip on can be a pain on the wrists in town, in which case try out it's naked brother the SV650, higher flat bars replace the clipons and it doesn't have fairing.

What the f**ck do they think they were trying out a bloody "sportbike"!!
They didn't even go off the tar sealed roads!!!

They kept on saying all the way through their write up, things like the Honda was a yesterdays bike because it has been around forever! and for that alone they could never own one! (So who bloody cares!)

I was very impressed with the road/fuel performance of the Suzuki but have never ridden one yet but I hope to change all that on the 25th of this month when I go to Dunedin for an ear appointment.

I hope you find this information helpful or interesting or something! Cheers John.

Motu
17th October 2006, 06:51
I quite often get comments about the dirt bikes I ride ( the rare times I ride with others) But you see them working really hard and always checking their mirrors to see if they lost you on that last corner....then trying even harder on the next one.One wonders why the hell they bother to ride sports bikes if they are so slow?

Transalper
17th October 2006, 08:17
Fuel economy.
4) Kawasaki KLE500. (Reserve:98 miles, to dry tank, 125 miles)
3) Ducati Multistrada 620. (107 miles to 135)
2) Honda TransAlp XLv650. (127 miles to 146)
1) Suzuki DL650 V-Strom (185 miles to 221)
in which case try out it's naked brother the SV650....
lol, i usually get between 175 and 185 miles to reserve on the XLV600.
And yep, as soon as they started talking about the SV in the same article there can be no doubt they are comparing adventurers to sports bikes.:shutup:

35tickets
17th October 2006, 10:06
Hi folks :first:

I can't find a XT600 or KLR650 in any shops. I'd like to have a sit on these bikes before I travel a million miles to test ride one in another town, so if you've got one in your garage I'd love to come around an have a look and a chat about its characteristics. Note: Don't worry I don't want to ride your pride and joy, just a sit and a look to see if its worth driving for miles to test ride one. :first:

If you've got some other suggestions about big bore trailies let me know.

Cheers,

Bartman.

Hey Bartman,

If its any help I just did the Rusty Nuts 1000 miles in 20 hours 29 minutes on a KLR 650. The bike was awesome to ride with plenty of seat room and I was getting 350km to the tank and still not hitting reserve.

I found the bike good in the corners with plenty of wind on power for over taking. I've done a little off-road with it and plenty of gravel and the bike handled well. I looked at all models of 650 and decided on the KLR in the end, mainly because of the bigger fuel tank. Plus I've dropped it once and all i did was bend the plastic hand guard.

If you haven't found a bike yet good luck in your decision!:rockon: