PDA

View Full Version : Tips on brake fluid change???

bobsmith
14th August 2006, 22:40
Okay... so I decided that I'm going to do a brake fluid change... the brakes were feeling a bit spongy after the ride yesterday, and I don't want that to happen half-way to auckland in three weeks just before a corner... (I'm just doing the front one since I have no problems with the rear brake...)

So I've read the GPX250 manual (which is very similar to my bike since I couldn't find a base manual for my ZZR250) and it has instructions on the brake fluid change... they say to get a plastic tubing on the bleed valve to let the brake flue out through... is this important? could I just get a container and put it below the bleed valve and let it squart out?

Also I know that I gotta clean everything brake fluid reservoir to make sure no dirt goes in it and the owner's manual instructs on how to bleed the line after putting new brake fluid in. (the owner's manual basically says - drain the old fluid, put new fluid in, then bleed the line while topping up the brake fluid, is this right?) but is there anything else that I should remember?

Thanks for any comments!

sAsLEX
14th August 2006, 23:02
The easiest way to do it is to find some pipe and have this go to a bottle resting higher that the callipers. I have used the pipes out of squirty bottles with some success before but have a special pipe for bleeding brakes that I cant remeber where I found!?

Now to replace the fluid just pump* the old stuff out the bottom at the calliper and keep an eye on the level in the resivour topping up with fresh fluid regularly. If you do this it shouldnt take much at all to rebleed. ie dont empty then fill, do it in one step to stop air getting in the system which would require lots of tedious bleeding

1. Get a ring spanner on the bleep nipple and attach the hose.
2. Squeeze the brake lever
3. Loosen the nipple and some fluid should come out, once it stops flowing nip the nipple back up
4. Release the brake and return to step 2 and repeat until the old fluid is gone replaced with new stuff.

Flyingpony
15th August 2006, 10:21
Here is a post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14358) on how I did it and what DIY tool I used to help bleed the brakes with. From what I gather, a couple other KBers have replicated this device.

ZeroIndex
15th August 2006, 10:50
whatever you do, don't try covering your fairings with brake fluid, especially any metal parts.. just isn't very good..

bobsmith
15th August 2006, 11:10
Here is a post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14358) on how I did it and what DIY tool I used to help bleed the brakes with. From what I gather, a couple other KBers have replicated this device.

Damn I wish I read your thread first... but I bought this valved brake fluid changing device from Supercheap for $20 at 10.10am this morning... doh!

Anyhow, went and changed the brake fluid - wasn't so hard as I made it out to be, just took a little while figuring out that I'll need to hold the tube running from the nipple up until it fills with brake fluid than I could pump away with it sitting on the ground...

Will have to go for a test ride soon and will let you know how I got on.

sAsLEX
15th August 2006, 11:21
Will have to go for a test ride soon and will let you know how I got on.

Check everything three times!!! Make sure all connections/bolts you have touched are done up correctly.

I mean only a fool doesnt spend a couple of mins checking over work to ensure they dont have to spend a day looking for a lost calliper!

bobsmith
16th August 2006, 09:39
After a short test ride, it seems like everything is in order.

Hopefully I can get another ride organised to really test the brakes, otherwise it won't be until I go up to auckland in 2 weeks.

ZeroIndex
16th August 2006, 11:05
After a short test ride, it seems like everything is in order.

Hopefully I can get another ride organised to really test the brakes, otherwise it won't be until I go up to auckland in 2 weeks.

go find an empty parking lot, take someone that has a video camera, and practice stoppies :D

bobsmith
16th August 2006, 11:40
go find an empty parking lot, take someone that has a video camera, and practice stoppies :D

why.. so you can all laugh at me?

marty
16th August 2006, 12:44
you don't need to try to do stoppies in a carpark for everyone to laugh at you

bobsmith
16th August 2006, 12:58
indeed. usually telling people what I thought about pilots before I started flying and what I think about pilots now is quite enough to get them going for a long time.