PDA

View Full Version : Green Painted Bus Lanes

Deano
15th August 2006, 13:02
I was in Karori over the weekend and noticed that the green bus lanes appeared to have a light coarse coating in the paint.

I scraped my boot over part of one and it seems pretty grippy - much grippier than the white and yellow painted lines and road markings.

Is this the case in other areas ?

If so, why hasn't this been applied to all painted lines ? Slightly rhetorical cause I'm sure the answer is $$$.

Perhaps the cost/death benefit ratio of a busload of people is greater ? Although at least buses have a larger tyre contact surface area.

Could be another thing to raise with Safeas.

sAsLEX
15th August 2006, 13:06
It works well when new but it degrades rather rapidly removing the grippy substance in the wheel lines etc

They are meant to do some sort of testing on the grip provided by lines and there has been some threads on this way in the past, but yes it should be raised at these meetings

Another thing is manhole covers that sit about 3 inches below the level of the road and right on the correct line to take the corner!

Deano
15th August 2006, 13:14
It works well when new but it degrades rather rapidly removing the grippy substance in the wheel lines etc

They are meant to do some sort of testing on the grip provided by lines and there has been some threads on this way in the past, but yes it should be raised at these meetings

Another thing is manhole covers that sit about 3 inches below the level of the road and right on the correct line to take the corner!

I think the workshops have all finished now but can still raise on the discussion forum.

I've seen a few manhole covers with a layer of asphalt on them - much grippier, just not applied on many of them.

It's the service plates (1m x 500mm) that get me - even slipped on them in a car in the wet braking to an intersection.

sunhuntin
15th August 2006, 13:45
we have green painted bicycle tracks, and ive heard they are as slippy as the white paint, so avoid them like the plague. they do look rough, but a lot of cars tend to drive in them so the grip rubs off fast. same with manhole covers....ive finally figured out how to avoid the maze of white paint and manholes on a corner by my house, cept it means my back wheel is sitting on white and makes my take off shakey cos i dont want lose anything. even mums car lost its backend on those covers. in saying that, ive never had any trouble with the white paint...sure, i have slipped a little, but nothing major.

dawnrazor
15th August 2006, 15:29
grippy road paint, that would be great - but you know what would be even better - reflective road markings! so that on a wet night you could actually see where the edges of your lane arevinstead of just hoping your in your lane 'cus you can't see jack shit otherwise.

limbimtimwim
15th August 2006, 18:48
grippy road paint, that would be great - but you know what would be even better - reflective road markings! so that on a wet night you could actually see where the edges of your lane arevinstead of just hoping your in your lane 'cus you can't see jack shit otherwise.Road markings are both when new!

Take a look at some fresh paint. It has metallic flakes in it and is quite rough.

But it smooths off, gets coated in crap, and slowly but surely becomes a hazard.