PDA

View Full Version : Waikato/Taupo route advice

skelstar
15th August 2006, 13:07
Folks,

I am aiming to come up to Auckland this Thurs but need some advice regarding the route:

1. I thought I would go through Taumaranui/Otorohonga/Ngaru-blahblah and make my way up through SH22. Thing is Im not real sure about the route to take. I have done it before but was following Zapf (for some of the way :blip:) and travelling N to S. Any help would be excellent.

2. On Friday (yep, the next day) I was going to head to Hastings. From Aucks. Whats a real snazzy way of getting from Aucks to Taupo. There must be some fairly entertaining roads out there. Ive gone through Te Awamutu and past the Waipapap Dam to Maungakino, I would even consider the lower part of the Coro-loop (SH25A?)...actually, just saw how far that is. Not an option :). Ive also done the Hunua Ranges too, but wasnt amazingly taken with the moss covered roads.

Any advice people?

Sean

Zukin
15th August 2006, 13:16
All I can say is the weather forecast looks good for Hawkes Bay this weekend :Punk:

As for the Route to take, I take it you ride the tarmac?

skelstar
15th August 2006, 13:29
Yep I do ride on tarmac...as much as possible.

Pumba
15th August 2006, 13:33
Take the old Taupo Road. Im not much more help than that, I have riden it a few times now and was generally followig a few people in a group so cant really give you any good directions.

skelstar
15th August 2006, 13:38
Where is the old Taupo Rd? On the way there, or out of Taupo?
Cheers

Keystone19
15th August 2006, 14:00
Best way south is Kaiuaua, Kopu, Whangamata, Waihi, Tauranga, Pyes Pa, Rotorua, Taupo. It'll just take you a while...:scooter:

skelstar
15th August 2006, 14:03
Was thinking about Whangamata but its a major detour. I REALLY dont want to ever go towards/through Tauranga again though. That was an arse last time.

Big Dave
15th August 2006, 14:33
Folks,

Coro-loop (SH25A?)...actually, just saw how far that is. Not an option :). Ive also done the Hunua Ranges too, but wasnt amazingly taken with the moss covered roads.

Any advice people?

Sean

Harden up.

Taupo - Mangakino - Kihihi - Pirongia - Glen Murray: and turn left before you cross the Waikato river and it takes you out to the last 30km of Hwy 22 and follow that back to Akl.

kiwifruit
15th August 2006, 15:08
Harden up.

Taupo - Mangakino - Kihihi - Pirongia - Glen Murray: and turn left before you cross the Waikato river and it takes you out to the last 30km of Hwy 22 and follow that back to Akl.

yep
10 fathoms

skelstar
15th August 2006, 15:17
Yeah, looks like the preferred route. Doing that in reverse so will be easier to find my way out of SH22 than in I reckon.

Big Dave
15th August 2006, 15:36
Best way south is Kaiuaua, Kopu, Whangamata, Waihi, Tauranga, Pyes Pa, Rotorua, Taupo. It'll just take you a while...:scooter:

Well yes considering it's the way East mostly. Good thing you ride mostly on tracks lately.

Bonez
15th August 2006, 16:39
Any advice people?

SeanEast Cape 10 characters.

yungatart
15th August 2006, 16:41
Be sure to call in and say Hi on your way to Hastings... Pm for details

Firefight
15th August 2006, 16:49
Folks,

1. I thought I would go through Taumaranui/Otorohonga/Ngaru-blahblah and make my way up through SH22.

Sean

22 is a good option, did it today, and the road is in pretty good nick.a couple of us may be on it thursday afternoon, will keep a look out.

F/F

skelstar
15th August 2006, 16:50
Be sure to call in and say Hi on your way to Hastings... Pm for details

Will bear that in mind. I still have MSTSRTSR's cellphone number.

skelstar
15th August 2006, 16:52
F/F will try keep eye out for you too. Same white-stripe helmet still? I have the red/white Kagayama helmet.

yungatart
15th August 2006, 16:54
Will bear that in mind. I still have MSTSRTSR's cellphone number.

Theres a bed if you need it..

skelstar
16th August 2006, 13:22
Can anyone help me with how to get onto SH22 from Ngaruwahia? If you could draw on the map and repost that would be excellent.

I can see a way of getting there, but it seems a bit of track. Alternatively Im thinking of heading out to Raglan (from south) and then getting on SH22. Guess thats feasible eh?

Cheers for your help in advance.

Pumba
16th August 2006, 13:29
As long as you dont mind a bit of gravel (about a km I guess) comming from raglan is a good road, best way from Ngaruwahia best is to head out on the Wainagro road, which is also a good road, either way ther is no shortage of twisties and great countryside to have fun in.

skelstar
16th August 2006, 13:32
Theres gravel on the Raglan Rd (SH23)?

So from Ngaruwahia I'd head throuhg Glen Massey, then south to Waingaro, then north after that to Dunmore and beyond?

sAsLEX
16th August 2006, 13:34
Right oh your heading up to raglan via otrahonga at a guess?? You turn left at whatawhata to head to Raglan , off there is the arse end of 22 indicated in red on the map, there is a little gravel but its not too much I did it on my NC30 in the pouring rain one day

Second pic better

skelstar
16th August 2006, 13:38
Cool. Not 30kms of gravel or anything eh?
Ta dude.

sAsLEX
16th August 2006, 13:38
look again better pic

nah maybe about a couple of k's

skelstar
16th August 2006, 13:40
Yeah, thats good. Couple kms is fine...dont want my bike too dirty (YR)!
Cheers...

Firefight
17th August 2006, 20:23
good too meet you Sean,

hope you made it out to the west okay, I think Sudeep will put the photos later , when we do our ride report, good luck for the rest of your trip man.

F/F

sAsLEX
17th August 2006, 20:39
So did he come up 22 from raglan?

And do you ever work ....pt

Firefight
17th August 2006, 20:41
So did he come up 22 from raglan?

And do you ever work ....pt

yes he did, and no it seems I don't

get back to your study mate:nono:

F/F:bye:

skelstar
20th August 2006, 16:56
Yeah, it was good to meet you too mate (and Motoracer).

Ha ha, was funny that I lost you guys (or vice versa) on the way to the motorway, was getting worried about where to go, and the motorway just popped out of no-where. Phew.

Cheers for making the effort to meet up guys.

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 17:13
Yeah, it was good to meet you too mate (and Motoracer).

Ha ha, was funny that I lost you guys (or vice versa) on the way to the motorway, was getting worried about where to go, and the motorway just popped out of no-where. Phew.

Cheers for making the effort to meet up guys.

How long was the gravel bit ?? I see your bike didnt get too dirty in the pics on FF thread

skelstar
20th August 2006, 17:57
Thats the funny part...I should leave for the ride report, I hit the gravel and about 2km later it finished, thought 'shit that wasnt 4km long!' and nailed it for a bit...came flying around the corner and the gravel started again. 'Arrrrgghhh!!!...' and just made sure the bike was upright when I hit it. Very. Amusing :).