PDA

View Full Version : Reposting a good commuting safety tip

Postie
15th August 2006, 13:19
when waiting at a red light, stay one car back if you are filtering. That way, if some one runs a red light, the car in front will take a hit or get close to it, and save you from playing bounce bounce.
Hopefully we will see less of this

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33950

I often see 2 or 3 cars running red lights on the way home during the week. Dorkland seems to be nutorious for it. I used to always have to be first away from the lights untill one day some one took me out, now I wait a bit before taking off.

I would like to see more being done about red light runners, specially in Auckland city, the cops would make a killing if they stomped on this sort of shit.

Gremlin
15th August 2006, 13:24
I would like to see more being done about red light runners, specially in Auckland city, the cops would make a killing if they stomped on this sort of shit.
go speak to Bykey Cop... he'll be your bestest friend too... According to him quotas should be a piece of piss too... dunno why they sit out in the country for the odd one or two eh??

oh wait... speed kills doesn't it?? Not ripping apart another car at an intersection... :yawn:

Postie
15th August 2006, 13:25
oh wait... speed kills doesn't it?? Not ripping apart another car at an intersection... :yawn:

yep, but I have never seen a car run a red doing exactly 50, more like 80

sAsLEX
15th August 2006, 13:38
Else do your normal left right head checks before taking off from the front at the lights!

I never take off from the lights right at the green, always give it a second to make sure no fools gonna run the red, then it's all go.

Squeak the Rat
15th August 2006, 14:05
If I'm filtering I like to get as clear from the cars as possible. People get angry these days and do stupid things when you "push in"....

Catch 22 really.... But good idea. A low speed shunt is better than a 80km/hr T-bone.

SimJen
15th August 2006, 14:08
Not so much a problem in Hams, but I'd imagine Aucks would be fun.
I always go to the front, otherwise the dumass cager usually takes off as slow as poss.
I make a point of always keeping an eye out before taking off though.....

WRT
15th August 2006, 14:42
Catch 22 really.... But good idea. A low speed shunt is better than a 80km/hr T-bone.

I'm of the opinion that if you have pushed to the front by filtering, its your duty to take off in a prompt and efficient manner so as not to hold up the rest of the traffic. If you arent going to take off as soon as the lights go green (and the intersection is clear) then DONT FILTER. Simple really, although it does entail a small amount of common courtesy which a lot of people seem to lack these days.

If you do cut to the front, then make sure you keep an eye on the other traffic. You should know by the time your light has gone green whether the way is clear or not. And if its not clear, then I still move gently forward (into the intersection but not into the way of the red light runner, with my helmet pointing in their direction) to signal to the other drivers that I'm going to go as soon as I'm able to incase they get impatient and decide to run me over. Bear in mind that they are likely to be watching you and not the intersection, so give them as much feedback as you can.

Just requires observation and a little bit of courtesy.

Back Fire
15th August 2006, 14:52
I pull infront of the line of traffic when I get to the front... just so I can hold up the flow of traffic if I see fit...

Matt
5th September 2006, 09:00
I pull infront of the line of traffic when I get to the front... just so I can hold up the flow of traffic if I see fit...

Yeah I was told to do that as part of an "advanced riding" course I did in the UK ("own the road" the guy kept saying!) - I feel a bit naughty doing it though, so just tend to keep in the middle/front of queue - always have a good look around before giving it the beans!

Matt