PDA

View Full Version : Once again the "media" screw up - "Dell" Battery Recall

StoneChucker
15th August 2006, 22:05
It has always been obvious that the media have no respect for people's / company's rights or the repercussions' of what they print. With a few tweaks of the words they can make a story much more interesting, screw anyone that gets affected by their drivel.

The now well-known issue of the risk of some laptop batteries "exploding", combusting or otherwise overheating, one in a million literally, seems to be branded to Dell Computers. "Buy a dell, wait for the explosion", "Dell pc's are shit", "Dell this, Dell that..." are just a few examples of the type of slander I've read on the net lately. People can be so ignorant and blindy mislead into a "pack mentality". As in, "hey look, people are bitching about exploding Dell laptops, I have to believe it and join the masses"

The fact is (*SEE END OF POST*), the offending batteries are MADE BY SONY and supplied to MANY different computer manufacturers and parts suppliers. It just so happens that the "one in a million" exploding battery was in a Dell laptop. Because of that, there has been massive un-official (internet forum/site posting) and official (media) coverage of it, as well as linkage to Dell as the offending manufacturer. That anyway, is how it appears to everyone except the select few who actually listen/read and know how this works.

I actually applaud Dell, as being the first manufacturer to publically recall all affected batteries, offer free replacements (since it was supplied by Sony, one COULD argue that Dell were not technically responsible) and provide the means of returning affected batteries for safe disposable (although I recommend disposing of in a bonfire at parties, it makes for much better entertainment. :Punk: )

So I hope people identify which party involved to blame, using the facts to make their decision. Funny though, I don't see anyone slandering Sony TV's, Hi-Fi's, portable devices,... (not that it is needed or that they should, but you know what I mean. This issue would be like blaming Holden for Commodore's that start exploding, when the actual issue is caused from octane impurities in Company XYZ's fuel):zzzz:

For those that want to know if they are affected (at THIS stage, only Dell has come forward, I pity those who own laptops by other companies who hope the issue will blow over:whistle: ), follow the following link:
Dell Battery Program (http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com) And/Or call the following number:
0800 941 140

Dave.

**Read Below For Some Interesting Info**

fact ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fkt)
n.
Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact; a blur of fact and fancy.

Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed: Genetic engineering is now a fact. That Chaucer was a real person is an undisputed fact.
A real occurrence; an event: had to prove the facts of the case.
Something believed to be true or real: a document laced with mistaken facts.
A thing that has been done, especially a crime: an accessory before the fact.
Law. The aspect of a case at law comprising events determined by evidence: The jury made a finding of fact.

Wasp
15th August 2006, 22:56
This is why i'm a TOSHIBA tech, stuff that actually works!

Motu
15th August 2006, 23:43
Well I'm certainly not happy with my expensive Sony portable device,and I'm not happy with Smith The Dick for talking me into the extra warranty deal,and then Dicking me around and saying I have a ''compatability problem'',when we used the store computer and store discs to transfer data.I wouldn't buy a Dell because they have sony parts.

skelstar
15th August 2006, 23:49
This is why i'm a TOSHIBA tech, stuff that actually works!

So...what do the TOSHtechs do then?

Wasp
16th August 2006, 07:39
Fix laptops that retards have dropped or cant use :innocent:

Lou Girardin
16th August 2006, 08:22
The TV report I saw was quite even handed. They reported the Dell recall, and went into detail about other manufacturers using the same batteries, including Toshiba. They even interviewed Dell himself.
Of course the interdweeb is a very fair and balanced forum for these matters. That's why we believe evrything on here. Especially if it's from wikipedia.

Drum
16th August 2006, 08:32
Anyone whos ever been involved in an event that has been retold in the press knows that they seldom get the facts right, and use artistic license to make the story more sexy.

It always makes me laugh when they get all rightous about their profession. They're a joke basically.

(except for motorcycle journalists - obviously!!)

GR81
16th August 2006, 09:17
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550

hehe :)

phantom
16th August 2006, 21:43
Pretty sure HP had a similar problem with overheating batteries on their laptops around about the end of last year

Wasp
16th August 2006, 21:47
That reminds me, incase you apple/mac guys think your off the hook think again!

just the other day i saw a pic of a blowen up ibook battery - right through the bottom half and completly burnt the screen....

Skyryder
16th August 2006, 21:53
Saw something on the news last night. It's not just Dell. There will be recalls from other manufacturers. Dell just were the first.

Skyryder

MattRSK
16th August 2006, 21:57
It has always been obvious that the media have no respect for ....blah blah blah

That was a well written post.

Street Gerbil
17th August 2006, 19:39
Dell is cool. If I were buying a pre-built computer, I would have bought a dell. However, the only computer that I respect enough to own is the one I build myself from hand-picked parts.

Brian d marge
17th August 2006, 19:55
there is footage of it going bang , I use umbuntu Linux on me laptop and the bois needs to be tweaked to make the fans cut in

Dell have a whole thread and some programs all to themselves m because they are running a liitle hotter than most

As for Sony ,,, I ve had a Viao , and use a clie pda ,,they work but are incompatable with anything else and the bits cost a FR&^%^$^$%^ fortune

I will never buy a sony again
Ever

Thanks for the heads up about the batteries , ill look next time I am shopping!!!

Stephen

nicearse
18th August 2006, 00:14
over the last year and a half i have used many of different laptops they just run to hot and need an extra fan that way if 1 does **** out then you got the second to back it up