PDA

View Full Version : Touring - Places to miss or not miss

What?
27th April 2003, 09:20
Obviously some of us do ride our bikes around, so I figured we should post places we think are worthy of a visit (or avoidance). Here is a couple to get the ball rolling...

:bigthumb:SUNBEAMLAND: Motorcycle and pioneering museum, just out of Kawakawa on the Paihia road. Mostly unrestored, but running, Pomgolian bikes, plus a Guzzi or three, and a heap of militaria. Open 10am to 4pm Fri to Mon, but will open other times on request.

Contact sunbeams@igrin.co.nz or Ph: 09 4040154

:bigthumb:NAJA CAFE: Mangawhai. This cafe is attached to a garden centre, so be warned if you have a pillion :p The food here is great - in fact I had dinner there a couple of weeks back and rate it as the best meal I have ever had, anywhere.

:argh: OPO TAKEAWAYS: Opononi. Avoid- without a doubt, the WORST takeaways on the planet. If you are passing through the Hokianga and feeling hungry, try the Omapere Hotel, or stay hungry.

merv
27th April 2003, 12:29
Down this way the Bike Shed Museum at Waitarere is one to visit. I went there late last year and took a few pics which I have posted on Yahoo here http://au.photos.yahoo.com/bc/bikemerv/lst?&.dir=/Bike+Shed+Museum&.src=ph&.begin=9999&.view=t&.order=&.done=http%3a//au.photos.yahoo.com/bc/bikemerv/lst%3f%26.dir=/Bike%2bShed%2bMuseum%26.src=ph%26.view=t

On this site guests are limited to looking at them at 400x300 pixels but I am sure you will still enjoy them. Who's as old as me to remember the Suzuki RE5. I first saw one doing demo laps courtesy of Colemans at the Wanganui races back in the 70's. Only a few made it into the shops and sales were slow. Dig the rotary theme carried over into the round opening drum intstrument panel and the round drum style tailight.

At this museum is the biggest collection of motorised bicycles I've ever seen.

What?
28th April 2003, 08:55
:bigthumb: MATTHEWS VINTAGE COLLECTION: On SH10, about 5 K's north of Taipa, Doubtless Bay. This museum has only one or two bikes, but loads of vintage cars (esp. Nash's), tractors, ag equipment and stationary engines, most restored and running. Also a collection of old household stuff, tools etc. Well worth the $6 entry fee.

wkid_one
1st May 2003, 18:50
Success Cafe - Coromandel Town

Turn right in to Coromandel, it is on your right just past the crossing.  Great meals, and well priced. 

Coromandel Hotel

Keep going past Success Cafe - it is on your left just as you leave town.  Nice hot lunch and good TV for catching bike racing on a Sunday afternoon to prime you up for the ride home

Kaiaua Fisheries

In Kaiaua, on right (if heading south), just after bridge.  Simply the best fish and chips in Auckland

MacNut Cafe

Out on South Heads Road just before Shelley Beach.  Macadaemia Nut Farm and Cafe - nice food and good open ride.  Can head out via Riverhead Road or through Whenupai/Kumeu

What?
21st October 2003, 18:26
Wairakei (just north of Taupo) : The 24 hour diner behind the BP gas station has been my regular dinner stop when coming home from Manfeild for years. I'll admit it is not as good as it was before the big upgrade, but it still provides HUGE servings of good food at very good prices.:niceone:

Nouseforaname
21st October 2003, 18:36
stay clear of La Hacienda.... the so called mexican cafe in Whangamata, nothing worse than riding home after drinking a milkshake that was off.... i know i shouldnt have drunk it but hey.......

Also stay clear of Hamtown

marty
21st October 2003, 20:15
Loose Goose cafe in Tirau - cool big tables, great anti pasto platter for 2. Great coffee

Blink
21st October 2003, 21:52
nothin like a coffee up here :) :

http://lewis.corrupt.co.nz/albums/Bikes/119_1949_IMG.sized.jpg

Lou Girardin
22nd October 2003, 07:55
Maunganui Fish shop
Fresh fish and chips, cold wine or beer, sitting in the sun over the water. Mmmmm.
Cafe at Waikato Heads, don't know the name, but there's only one. Not extra special, but it's in the right place.
Pepper Tree restaurant, Coromandel. Naice ambience.
Beesonline, Waimauku. All good.
Sawmill cafe, Leigh. An old favourite, kind of corporate hippy atmosphere, gets busy though.
Lou

Firefight
22nd October 2003, 08:32
"The Goldmine" Thames, biker freindly, normally parking ROS, really interesting food, and very good prices, located on the left hand side of main drag as you are coming from Kopu end of town
about half way down main drag.:niceone: :niceone:

firefight:eek:

Firefight
22nd October 2003, 09:53
Located on the Taupo end of the Naiper Taupo, not far past De Bretts, left hand side heading to Naiper, plenty of safe parking, showers, Big, Very Big meals, simple but lots of it,

Firefight
22nd October 2003, 09:59
Also you can get good info from the truckies re road conditions, and other things which may endanger your wallet/license

firefight:rockon:

What?
24th October 2003, 18:43
Originally posted by Lou Girardin
Maunganui Fish shop

Do you mean Mangonui, Doubtless Bay? if so, I concur. It is excellent.

130wide
24th October 2003, 19:48
Te Kaha takeaway
Approx 130ks from Whakatane heading up the east coast, some of the best roads you'll find before having a feed.

Galatea shop/cafe - in the middle of no where-
Back roads heading to Taupo from Whakatane.

Good places to visit as you have an excellent ride to get there.

Al
27th October 2003, 17:01
I agree, the Mongonui fish shop is fantastic!

Did a trip up north in Sept, from Akl to 90 mile beach - the wind was a bit iffy, but roads very quiet

Lou Girardin
28th October 2003, 08:35
My Te Reo is limited, it is Mangonui. I'm trying to organise another run up there in Nov.
Lou

What?
16th February 2007, 20:01
OK - resurrecting this thread because I can...

:niceone: The lady who used to cook at the Naja cafe in Mangawhai Heads is now at the Kavarna - also in Mangawhai Heads, and the food is still excellent.

:niceone: The restaurant at the Paihia Resort & Spa. Not ridiculously priced, the food is exquisite and the service faultless. Top place for a "special" meal.

:moon: The German Cafe at Kaiwaka - food is OK, service is crap and the coffee is :sick:

Maha
16th February 2007, 20:14
Bridgehouse here in Warkworth......Gourmet Pizza's.........:Punk:

And naturally the Puhoi goes without saying.......:scooter:

Mangawhai Tavern...........:drinkup:

T.I.E
16th February 2007, 20:31
any clever computer people out there that could do it all on a map, places to visit, and stay away from, also that can be updated all the time by fellow bikers.
one that i could print off when im on my travels around NZ, that would be bloody helpful. as i cant remembr half of these usefull places unless i have a pc with me. and be bloody helpfull to tourists.
just an idea, but im a computer idiot.

Meekey_Mouse
16th February 2007, 21:24
any clever computer people out there that could do it all on a map, places to visit, and stay away from, also that can be updated all the time by fellow bikers.
one that i could print off when im on my travels around NZ, that would be bloody helpful. as i cant remembr half of these usefull places unless i have a pc with me. and be bloody helpfull to tourists.
just an idea, but im a computer idiot.

That's an awesome idea :yes: ... any computer literate people out there willing to help??

ajturbo
16th February 2007, 21:46
my place.. it has beer

ynot slow
17th February 2007, 20:34
norsewood pub,quiet,good food and tui yeah:Punk:

-df-
20th February 2007, 16:17
Leigh fish and chip shop (around the courner from the courner dairy)...not the Top Shop takeaways.

BEST Fish and Chips ever. I wont eat fish at all except from that place. Costs a bit for a peice of fish...but so worth it.

Plus you then get to take it to Goat Is Reserve and have a wonderful view while eating it.

What?
20th February 2007, 19:22
:niceone: Matakohe Kauri museum - you could lose a couple of hours in there quite easily. Well worth the 15 clams to get in.

Bonez
20th February 2007, 19:48
Just get out there and discover the country by doing it instead of lounging in front of a computer expecting folk to do the work for you.

NotaGoth
20th February 2007, 20:06
Highly recommend the Black Olive Pizza place in Kerikeri......

Not to keen on the fish and chips from up north.... Sorry guys... I won't eat there.... Ain't all that fantastic.... :dodge: Then again I live in a fishing paradise.... Wooo smoked marlin!!!

Avoid sheep world at all costs.......

_intense_
21st February 2007, 00:03
Knights point lookout, -west coast SI north of the Haast. thats the place i will propose to the one. most awe-inspiring, achingly beautiful place i have ever been.

that wee bit of road on the fairlie-geraldine road, the hilltop before you descend into Fairlie. ohhh and a Timaru-Wanaka return in a lot less than legal time, just for a damn fine redstar burger (best in the land) and a good brew at redfire, kai whakapai, or missys kitchen.

gotta love that one.

Paulus
21st February 2007, 18:56
Akaroa fish and chip shop on the water front at Akaroa. A pretty average fish and chip shop (IMHO) but the Akaroa highway getting there is one of the great motorcycle roads of the world (at least it is when it's not overloaded with traffic).

Highlander
25th February 2007, 04:10
Plenty of beaches and lake / river side stopping places to stop for a break and enjoy the view.

Lake Okataina is a goody.