PDA

View Full Version : Don't Dream It's Over

hXc
16th August 2006, 18:49
Just thought I'd post this up. It's a music assignment I have to do.

Task one: Contextual assessment

"New Zealand is bulding a strong tradition of good songwriting, with various bands bringing well-crafted songs to the public ear.
Neil Finn's song 'Don't Dream It's Over' is a fine example of this."

1) Write between half a page and one page on Neil Finn and why that song was important for both the band Crowded House and for Neil Finn as a writer.

2) Choose two other songs written and performed by NZ songwriters/bands and write between half a page and one page about each.

So here's my number 1, I just need a little help with why I consider it to be a good example of NZ music at its best.

Neil Finn was born in 1958 at Te Awamutu. From a young age, his older brother Tim (b. 1952) was a large musical influence, and sent him recordings of early jam sessions with fellow Sacred Heart College boarder, Mike Chunn.

While a teenager, he found an outlet for his music by joining the All'n Some Folk Club, which gave him the chance to write his own music. In 1975, Neil was critically acclaimed as the support act for the Split Enz Australia/New Zealand tour. In 1976 he received a call from Tim asking him to join Split Enz.

Following the break up of Split Enz, Neil, and two others created another band, which after they moved to Los Angeles in 1985, was called Crowded House. They became a huge commercial success with their self-titled debut album. Their song "Don't Dream It's Over," reached #2 on the US pop charts in 1987.

This song was a huge success for the band, and Neil because of it's unusual descending melody and attention grabbing, guitar intro. Those two things are the main hooks in this song that got it to where it did. It is the song that everybody knows Crowded House for, because of how big it got, so quickly.

Another reason it was popular in the USA when it came out in 1987 because it expressed hope in uncertain times. Just look back at some events of that year.

May: Iraqi missiles killed 37 in an attack on a U.S. frigate in the Persian Gulf.
July: Senior US govt officers testified they authorized the use of profits from illegal sales of arms Iran to aid Contra terrorists.
Oct: A severe earthquake struck Los Angeles, leaving 100 injured and six dead.
Oct: There was a world-wide stock market crash.

EDIT: These examples are just a few of the devastating things that happened in 1987, that this song may relate to. It's a great song, with a great sound and I'm proud to say that it's a New Zealand song.

Beemer
17th August 2006, 12:02
I thought at first this was a help forum - I was just about to post the next three assignments from my journalism papers and see if anyone could help... bugger!

hXc
21st August 2006, 20:52
Here are the other two songs I have written about. A little bit of help with a conclusion on 'Nature" would be appreciated thank you.

Nature - Wayne Mason (Fourmyula)

Wayne Mason has been a leading singer/songwriter/musician in some of New Zealand's most well known bands from the Fourmyula, to Rockinghorse and The Warratahs.

While he was with Fourmyula he wrote their first number one hit song "Nature" which was covered by The Mutton Birds and again by Margaret Urlich. It won Wayne the Prestigious APRA Silver Scroll Award and in 2001 it was voted the Number One song of the past 75 years by members of APRA.

It was written in 1969 and was their second single. Without this song, the band wouldn't have had the success they experienced and New Zealand music would be missing a vital song in our eclectic range of styles. This song has stood the test of time, as it still gets played on radio today and the sing along type lyrics are as well known by todays teenagers as the teenagers of the early '70's.

It's relaxed, folk sound relates to the way that we, as New Zealanders present ourselves to the rest of the world. The lyrics complement the "clean green" image that New Zealand is famous for.

Loyal - Dave Dobbyn

Dave Dobbyn is regarded as a national treasure in New Zealand. It’s a Japanese expression used for people who have made such a contribution to a country’s identity and culture that their existence is a cause for celebration.

In 2001, after 25 years as a musician and songwriter, Dobbyn was given a rare, lifetime achievement award by the New Zealand recording industry. Instead of a speech, the managing director of Sony Music New Zealand just read out a list of song titles.

The list went on for some time: ‘Be Mine Tonight’, ‘Outlook for Thursday’, ‘Loyal’, ‘Whaling’, ‘Devil You Know’, ‘Slice of Heaven’, . . .These songs and many more, all written by Dobbyn had moved people throughout the country. They were songs they had danced to with their first lover, songs they have married to, songs that have made them laugh and cry. These songs they have even played when burying their loved ones.

Loyal is a song included in that list. In 2002, the much-loved Dobbyn song was chosen by Team New Zealand to front its international campaign to win back the America’s Cup yachting trophy. Wherever New Zealanders gather around the world, it is likely to be Loyal that is sung when thinking of home. This song is sort of like another anthem for New Zealand. It was originally meant to be a love song about his wife, and although it may still be used as a love song, it has been adopted as a sporting anthem.

The lyrics in the chorus, "And call me Loyal - I'll say you're Loyal too. I know you're Loyal - I feel you're Loyal truth, Call me Loyal - I'll hold you Loyal too. And we are Loyal, keep it that way..." have been accepted to mean that we're talking about our country and our lifestyles, as apposed to a relationship.

Dobbyn has had a huge amount of success on this song and still continues to earn money from radio airtime today. It has stood the test of time and will continue to do so until New Zealand drops off the world, because we are loyal: Keep it that way.

Scorpygirl
21st August 2006, 21:13
Hi there hXc

You have done very well. The only suggestion I have is to really put your feelings into the composition that you are writing. Why do these songs inspire you as a musician/song writer. Why do they hit your heart and feelings as a NZder or NZ musician? What is it about the lyrics or rhythm that stirs YOU or motivates you to write something like that?

Just a thought.

Motu
21st August 2006, 21:37
1969 - 5th form and I was 16.....''Nature'' by the Fourmulya (you sure how that was spelt?) and ''Venus'' by Shocking Blue were fighting for the number one spot at the same time...music was just sooooooo good then.""Whole Lotta Love'' too - oh,we were just so lucky to have that stuff then.

MSTRS
22nd August 2006, 09:14
1969 - 5th form and I was 16.....''Nature'' by the Fourmulya (you sure how that was spelt?) and ''Venus'' by Shocking Blue were fighting for the number one spot at the same time...music was just sooooooo good then.""Whole Lotta Love'' too - oh,we were just so lucky to have that stuff then.

So what did we do to deserve Craig Scott...:shit: