PDA

View Full Version : My bike feels funny

willy_01
16th August 2006, 19:22
ok so went for a ride today, first in a couple of week, what a great day, no wind blue sky.
Like most of my solo rides i start out slow and steady, checkin out the country side - cruzing. But this gets boring pretty quickly so i end up becoming a bit too liberal with the speed limit. Anyway in the latter stage of my ride the front of my bike felt really weird, it was heavy and skittish ie hard to push around but at the same time was 'loose'. Then coming to the end of a straight I buttoned off and hit the breaks and man did it wobble, I was pretty close to the 'where should i jump' stage! does this mean my rotors are warped or uneven pad wear or something?
Also my bike sucked gas like 4L in a 30km ride, this is more than when i got it what do the wise ones out there reckon time for a carb sync or something else??

merv
16th August 2006, 19:26
Needs more air in the tyres would be one guess. Ask Ranty Dave about that.

mstriumph
16th August 2006, 19:27
been there
done that
tyre pressure

madmal64
16th August 2006, 19:35
Probably tire pressure. Check them cold and if the pressure is not correct, adjust while they are cold.

willy_01
16th August 2006, 19:36
haha thought i would be something stupid like that, ill pump them up and go do some more ummm testing tomorrow. any pressure recommended or just what the tire suggests?

sAsLEX
16th August 2006, 19:38
32ish psi and see how it feels, put a bit more in feels worse go back

But I use 32 as a rule, but my bike is smaller!

MattRSK
16th August 2006, 19:41
Hey sAsLEX, What tire pressure should my CBR be?

merv
16th August 2006, 19:45
36 front, 42 back is good for Honda road bikes.

MattRSK
16th August 2006, 19:47
Is that right for a 250 though Merv?
Thanks

madmal64
16th August 2006, 19:56
haha thought i would be something stupid like that, ill pump them up and go do some more ummm testing tomorrow. any pressure recommended or just what the tire suggests?

You will probably get a few suggestions about pressure. I use 38psi rear 36psi front.
What does the owners manual say? Thats a good place to start.

sAsLEX
16th August 2006, 20:02
Is that right for a 250 though Merv?
Thanks

YOUR 250 WOULD SUIT 32 FRONT AND REAR PSI

MattRSK
16th August 2006, 20:09
Thanks all.

Buster
16th August 2006, 20:11
Go buy a decent trye pressure guage if you want to get an accurate reading. The ones on the air pumps at gas stations can be a mile out.

I would have a good look at the front end and check everything is still in good order before riding it again. If it happens again it could be worse :bye:

merv
16th August 2006, 20:15
Yeah a manual would help and sometimes there is a sticker on the swingarm or somewhere telling you. If the bike still feels squidgy, blow it up some more. With the right tyre pressure my VFR tracks like its on rails, with anything less it does start feeling a bit squidgy - you'll know the difference when you feel it. If you can just carve left and right going down the road like poetry in motion you'll know you have the bike set up right. Where's Ranty dave when we need him, he had a story to tell? Check out this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33159

willy_01
16th August 2006, 20:22
yea did have a bit of a check for loose nuts ect. Seems like the ticket tho i couldnt understand how it felt heavy but at the same time lose esp. coming out of corners! its a bit of a pig (245kgs dry) so its not going to handel that well anyways but ill just start with a high pressure and drop it till i find whats right? so 40ish to start with?

willy_01
17th August 2006, 18:28
man i feel like a clown! but a very happy one. What a difference 27psi makes! checked the pressure of my front tire = 11psi shocker i know. Ive got 38 in there now and man :gob: so much better, the most rewarding ride ive been on was the quick spin round the 'block' (the tank farms for those in NP) after work at dusk lovin it. it corners better breaks smoother and accelerates cleaner.

Sorry for my stupidity but thanks for the answers :yes:

sAsLEX
17th August 2006, 18:31
the most rewarding ride ive been on was the quick spin round the 'block' (the tank farms for those in NP) after work at dusk lovin it.

Thats 50 through most of there!

Or did your go out towards Oakura?

willy_01
17th August 2006, 18:36
umm... woops, yea handles real well at 50kph

Sensei
17th August 2006, 18:38
If the weather is fine over the weekend will try to hook up for a ride if ya keen .

merv
17th August 2006, 18:45
So just like the Ranty Dave story I picked this straight away as your problem.

What is it with you guys not checking your tyres in the first place?

As a guide if I leave my bike parked for more than a week as soon as I take it out I'm straight to the gas station and blowing them up. If I'm riding it like for the next few days in a row I'm happy to not bother checking it for those few days.

willy_01
17th August 2006, 19:00
good point Merv i guess it could has something to do with the fact that i drive a corolla which i have not checked the oil, water or tyer pressure on for over a year :innocent:
I read the link you posted (RD's story) sounded like the same issues, = bingo

Sensei im keen:Punk:

merv
17th August 2006, 19:05
Your Corolla will be running about 10psi too little in all its tyres by now as a guess - so get down to the gas station and blow them up.

madmal64
17th August 2006, 19:12
Glad to hear a bit more air solved the problem. As merv said.... check the pressures EVERY week. Its amazing how much better the ride and the life of your tyres will be.