PDA

View Full Version : Backfires

Jonny Rotten
16th August 2006, 20:20
my bike keeps back firing. it only seems to do it when i back off on the throttle im also getting a flat spot in the top of the rev range.....what can i do to fix this......and what is causing it

merv
16th August 2006, 20:26
You're not talking about a purple van are you?

Seriously though back to the VTR, backfire on throttle off is usually too lean on the pilot mixture. Maybe up top its some sort of fuel starvation too. Your bike hasn't been sitting around for a while has it? I'm wondering about the fuel having dried off at some stage and causing partial jet blockage so I'm thinking carb clean is needed.

Jonny Rotten
16th August 2006, 20:41
i had some bad fuel from shell west gate when they where moving the tanks around and have had problems ever since..... how do i go about cleaning out the carbs/jets

jtzzr
16th August 2006, 20:58
has it gotten worse Rotten, Could timing be an issue?

Jonny Rotten
16th August 2006, 21:03
has it gotten worse Rotten, Could timing be an issue?

it seems to do it every now and again not all the time..... lil pots every now and again with a big bang some times......

Waylander
16th August 2006, 21:30
Some carb cleaner additive things from REpco or such might help. Also check your oil may need changing. Plugs too. If all else fails get it a tune-up.

merv
16th August 2006, 21:36
How easy are the carbs on that bike to get at to at least remove the bowls because now you've explained about the gas station the carbs may well have crud in them that's been small enough to get past the limited filter that is in your fuel tap assembly? Really does sound like the carbs needing cleaning out.

Wasp
16th August 2006, 21:36
My bike back fires when the carbs need cleaning (foot long jet of red/blue flame according to rg100 :yes:) come to think of it its that time again...:(

toymachine
17th August 2006, 07:52
My bike back fires when the carbs need cleaning (foot long jet of red/blue flame according to rg100 :yes:) come to think of it its that time again...:(

Hope mine has those at some stage :D

If i can get the damn thing to start... taking battery for a test today.

magicfairy
17th August 2006, 08:23
My bike came from the factory backfiring like crazy. That is completely normal for the Savage - now the S40 - as it us tuned way too lean at the factory and a big single. (The only Savage thing about the Savage IS the backfire!)
Anyway mostly sorted with bigger jets in the carb and fiddling with the pilot (got the bike shop to do it)
Still backfires occassionally on decel.

Wasp
17th August 2006, 08:25
Hope mine has those at some stage :D

If i can get the damn thing to start... taking battery for a test today.

Mine is re-jetted and has a cycleworks exhaust on it (and possibly an after market airfilter too)

When I get home I'll round up all my stuff inc electrics testing diagram - got a multimeter?

XP@
17th August 2006, 09:09
Before you start farting around with the carbs get out your spanner and tighten up your exhaust from engine to muffler.

95% chance you will then have a quiet bike with no backfire.

GR81
17th August 2006, 10:58
mine does it too, gurgles when off throttle and small flames in the muffler... just ask Gareth_D hehe
its all part of the fun :D

Wasp
17th August 2006, 11:25
Yea its fun and cool BUT can't the airfilter catch fire or something?!

GR81
17th August 2006, 13:34
Yea its fun and cool BUT can't the airfilter catch fire or something?!
dreamin! not unless they flames come out the wrong end.

Wasp
17th August 2006, 13:55
oh ok, i remember hearing somewhere that it was possible