PDA

View Full Version : One of the Hardest things to do!! Say goodbye

Zukin
17th August 2006, 17:30
I just wanted to rant on here a bit, so I hope no one minds.
I normally wouldnt consider for a moment of posting things like this on a motorbike forum, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Today 17/08/2006 marks a very special moment in my families life.
Today we said farewell to two very important family members.
They were best friends and grew up together.

Our Dog Stacey - Aged 16 years
Was a good friend and rode with me in the early days of trail riding, she used to cross rivers and creeks for me, if she started swimming I knew it was too deep.
We were inseparable, until more recent times when ill health meant she could no longer come hunting or riding with me.

Our Cat Pudpud - Aged 12 years
A real character of a cat, it was my daughters 4 birthday present, and those two were inseparable too, often into mischief together.
He too feel to ill health and we had no option.

We knew we made the right decision putting them both to sleep together as they were best friends and they would not of wanted it any other way, and the entire family was there to say goodbye, a real emotional time.

I thought it would easier than it actually was.
I shed more than a tear, as part of our family was no longer there with us.
It was hard to say goodbye, but in the end it was for the best.

God Bless you PudPud and Stacey and see you home soon.
:bye: :bye:

98tls
17th August 2006, 17:36
Know how you feel........had to have an old huntaway put down after 17 years...best mate i ever had and still miss the old bugger.....you will always have the memorys though eh

Virago
17th August 2006, 17:49
I feel for you mate.

We had to say goodbye to our two cats within the same year. It's tough.

My recommendation - take some time out to grieve, before getting "replacements". That way the family is ready to love the newcomers for what they are, not for what they have replaced. Six to 12 months is my recommendation.

Best wishes.

Macktheknife
17th August 2006, 18:00
Sympathies to you and your family, it's hard losing such trusted, loyal friends.

MVnut
17th August 2006, 18:03
Very sad, but good memories will live forever

Oakie
17th August 2006, 18:03
Sorry to hear that. We had our old lab put to sleep about a month ago so it's still fresh in my mind what you had to go through ... and it's not just on the day either ... it's the week's before when you finally resolve that it has to be done ... then the bad day itself ... and then the weeks after it's done as you miss seeing them where you're used to seeing them.
Just take comfort in knowing that you did it for the right reasons and yeah, don't try to replace them too soon.

Skyryder
17th August 2006, 19:03
Been there recently with the dog and the daughter's cat. Not easy I know but on a positive side it teaches our children how to grieve. That's an important part of growing up and the last and I think one of the most important lessons that their pets can teach.

Skyryder

chanceyy
17th August 2006, 19:20
just remember what a wonderful life they have had with your family .. never wanting for anything ..

I find that the easiest way to deal with death at least we can ease their suffering and remember the good times

.. the ones that i found it hard to come to terms with are the ones who pass away at a young age .. before they have lived ... still makes me sad .. & that was over 7 yrs ago

RIP PudPud & Stacey

smokeyging
17th August 2006, 19:24
Shit, having to put two pets down at the same time, that would be tough on the whole family. Know how you feel, a long time to have a trusted friend. That’s the problem with pets, they don’t stay around long enough. We had to put one of our cats [Ging] down a month ago, the dreaded cancer, his brother smokey is a bit lost for obviously they have been together here since kittens.

Street Gerbil
17th August 2006, 19:27
Darn that hurts. When I moved to NZ I had to leave behind four gerbils. :bye: I miss them badly.

Beemer
18th August 2006, 16:42
We've got an 18 month-old cat and an old cat (about 15) who is fading away before our eyes - but he still hunts rabbits and as long as he's having fun and doesn't appear to be in pain, he'll have a home here. It is one of the hardest things to do, but it's what civilised - and caring - people do for their animals.

Sorry you had to experience it, but at least your animals knew they were loved right to the end. It's a shame they don't just pass away in their sleep when it's their time, but at least it's one last thing we can do to ease their pain.

Paul in NZ
18th August 2006, 17:10
Sorry to hear that, the little buggers worm into your hearts eh.. RIP

laRIKin
18th August 2006, 17:19
Sympathies to you and your family as well.

I had to say good bye to my Wolf Hound about a year a go and I still miss the big lug.
So a lot of us understand what you are going though so rant away.

sAsLEX
18th August 2006, 17:22
Always a sad day

Prob too soon but we always got a dog the next day
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=723299#post723299

andrea
18th August 2006, 17:25
hmm that sux when you lose a family pet thats been around for along time, sorry to hear bout your loss:( :weep:

oldrider
18th August 2006, 17:44
Understand the emptiness you feel.
Our old dog and cat moved on recently and we still feel their presence around us at times.
We are too old to replace them now so the emptiness remains with us.
They were both 18yrs old, add that to 67 and I would be 85 yrs old.
My father died at 83, so they might be left old lonely and unwanted, that would be too sad for us so we are not having any more pets.
No body will have to put my bike down, just sell it to a happy new owner. John.

MD
18th August 2006, 17:56
Know how you feel. There's something special about the bond a dog forms with us. Had to put down mine 3 yrs ago after 13 years due to cancer. It's so hard to say goodbye. When looking for breeders online to find another dog we came across this poem from the perspective of the suffering dog. It really hit home about the tough choice we battled with to end his suffering but it was the right choice. The 4th paragraph seemed to be exactly what I went through.

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

Rossi Gal
18th August 2006, 18:34
Sympathies to you and your family ....