PDA

View Full Version : Horny bikes

SpankMe
17th August 2006, 18:10
Got a braket made for the gixxer a few weeks back to fit my Stebel Nautilus Compact (http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STB-NAUT-COM&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=4). It sticks out a bit, but worth it. Fuck all room on a gixeer to mount stuff.
39462 39463 39464

The GB500 was easier to mount my Stebel Magnum horn (http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STB-MAG-CHROME&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=5). The old horn was starting to sound a bit weak after getting the Nautilus so ordered the Magnum and it arrived today.
39465 39466

The dejected.

Before/after video:

Mr. Peanut
17th August 2006, 18:13
Muahaha, I want one :yes:

SlashWylde
17th August 2006, 20:30
Wicked! Can these be bought locally? If so where?

Been wanting to put something like this on my bike since I bought it.

SpankMe
17th August 2006, 21:17
Don't know, but it only took a week to arrive from the UK. $100 for the Nautilus and $88 for the Magnum with delivery.

SlashWylde
17th August 2006, 21:40
Hmmm, not bad...wouldn't mind having a listen to yours some time, to decide whether or not it's for me.

SlashWylde
17th August 2006, 21:48
Go here (http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm) to hear sound samples (under Products > Motorcycle > Nautilus Compact Series).

Sounds pretty piercing through my stereo.

Big Chim
17th August 2006, 22:36
Go here (http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm) to hear sound samples (under Products > Motorcycle > Nautilus Compact Series).

Man that page is a shit load of fun

boomer
17th August 2006, 23:32
ahahhaha SpankMe, ya big poof.. ride it faster ffs

oh man.. thanks for the chuckles :yes:

aff-man
17th August 2006, 23:50

heard it in person and it's fecking loud

Cajun
18th August 2006, 08:59
nice one spank

i stick to my $20 air horns under me rear cowling

ManDownUnder
18th August 2006, 10:03
The Nautilus (sp?) - awesome. I had one fitted to the RF a few months ago... Worth every last cent. DAMN they're loud (what is it Spank 130dB?)

A taxi offered to be a victim for it a while back when cut me off... from the look on his face the poor bastard must've thought a train was coming. And it begs the question - if a driver soils his own cab, does he have to pay the fine?

Flyingpony
18th August 2006, 10:51
Quite like the Magnum because it appears to be a straight plug and play of the OEM horn but the Nautilus sounds better being a twin tone air horn.

Can the Nautilus Compact be mounted on the stock horn mount, or must it have it's own custom mounting bracket?

Listened to the sound demo's on the web - awesome.

SpankMe: Of the two horns, which you like the best and why?
Thanks.

ManDownUnder
18th August 2006, 11:02
Can the Nautilus Compact be mounted on the stock horn mount, or must it have it's own custom mounting bracket?

Drill a hole (about 5mm?) and bolt the bastard on... likewise the relay. Problem is finding a space big enough to put it (the story of my life...:niceone:)

SpankMe
18th August 2006, 11:08
SpankMe: Of the two horns, which you like the best and why?
Thanks.

The Nautilus has a higher tone and is louder and heaviver, while the magnum sounds more like a car horn with a lower tone and is very light. I think they suite the bikes they are on.

Drill a hole (about 5mm?) and bolt the bastard on... likewise the relay. Problem is finding a space big enough to put it (the story of my life...:niceone:)

So what's the relay for. I never used it, both horns just used the existing horn connectors.

ManDownUnder
18th August 2006, 11:11
So what's the relay for. I never used it, both horns just used the existing horn connectors.

Mine came with a relay to ease the amount of power/current being passed through the horn switch. Hit the horn/switch with your thumb - it turns on the relay, which feeds bulk power direct from the battery to it via heavy duty contacts... not the pissy little contacts in the switch under your thumb.

Dunno how serious it is to do it one way or other, Sparky at Colemans fitted mine for me and wired in the relay as part of it (relay was shipped with the horn)

SpankMe
18th August 2006, 11:15
Colemans fitted mine to my old SV, so they may have used the relay as I did give it to them. When SARGE ripped it out for me we couldn't see any relay, so it may still be on the bike.

The Magnum didn't come with a relay.

Flyingpony
18th August 2006, 13:32
Thanks and :killingme

The Nautilus has a higher tone and is louder and heaviver, while the magnum sounds more like a car horn with a lower tone and is very light. I think they suite the bikes they are on.

Thank you!

The Magnum didn't come with a relay.
Hmm, I'd say get that relay installed for the Nautilus before your switch or something else burns out. If your old SV hasn't sold yet, see if there's some wiring left behind.

The Magnum current draw wouldn't be much more than the OEM, so won't need one.

marty
25th August 2006, 11:53
my 137db stebel arrived from nippy normans on wednesday. ordered on the 18th aug, arrived on 23rd. postage was reduced to 6 quid. sounds GREAT.

SpankMe
15th September 2006, 16:43
Before/after video added to first post.

What?
17th October 2006, 06:03
Put an order in to Norman on Friday - goods despatched same day, along with an e-mail asking where I heard about Nippy Norman's.

His second reply was:

Thanks for the feedback.
Great forum.
All the best.
Kind Regards
Norman
Nippy Normans Ltd

Tel: 01626-830458
Fax: 01626-830459

heyjoe
30th March 2007, 12:11
I downloaded and listened to your examples. The Nautilus Compact sounds awesome. In the video there is four horn sounds. Am I right in assuming in each bike there is a 'before' and 'after' scenario? If that is the case, the Magnum doesn't seem to be much louder than the GB500 stock horn but the sound is much deeper and more like a good car horn. And perhaps the mic equalised the sound a bit as well based on how loud each horn sound was? In my situation I am trying to decide whether to get a Nautilus Compact or a Magnum. I am wondering if the Magnum packs a decent punch or not. I would be interested in your opinion as you heard them side by side. Thanks.

Got a braket made for the gixxer a few weeks back to fit my Stebel Nautilus Compact (http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STB-NAUT-COM&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=4). It sticks out a bit, but worth it. Fuck all room on a gixeer to mount stuff.
39462 39463 39464

The GB500 was easier to mount my Stebel Magnum horn (http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STB-MAG-CHROME&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=5). The old horn was starting to sound a bit weak after getting the Nautilus so ordered the Magnum and it arrived today.
39465 39466

SpankMe
30th March 2007, 12:36
The sound in the video doesn't show the difference very well. The Magnum has a decent sound, but the Nautilus is louder. I would go with the Nautilus. I got the Magnum because it looks better on the GB.

mynameis
2nd April 2007, 12:06
130 db is loud but I am not sure what the actual db is for car and bike horns (standard). But looking at the clip there is a difference, how much, can't really tell unless I hear it.

I thought of doing something similar, but the thought that too loud a horn might scare/panic the recipient causing them to freeze/not react properly in the situation put me off it.

I think it should only be used to warm/alert someone not scare the crap out of them, though this gives you the "authority" feeling when you get their attention not sure how this would be in real life experience/situation.

Perhaps someone who has experienced this would be able to share some thought? :)