PDA

View Full Version : No wonder aussies get the wrong idea...

Big Dave
17th August 2006, 18:42
...about life in NZ.
Look at the dribble the sydney papers serve up.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-tales/nz-where-the-streets-have-no-shame/2006/08/17/1155407937267.html

3rd lead story as i post. Must be a very quiet news day.

merv
17th August 2006, 19:14
Do you read Sam in the City on that site too http://blogs.smh.com.au/samandthecity/

I thought some KB'ers might like this story http://blogs.smh.com.au/samandthecity/archives/2006/08/the_male_brazil.html

The fun you Aussie blokes have eh Dave!

Ozzie
17th August 2006, 19:21
...No wonder Aussies get the wrong idea...

Dave, sorry dude, but I'm pretty sure we have the right idea.

Doesn't need to be Kaka St to be shit street. Not in my area anyway.

skidMark
17th August 2006, 19:25
on another note...saw you getting on the motorway at greenlane at like 11 am big dave...

such well behaved riding (was a passenger in my mums cage)

98tls
17th August 2006, 19:32
Must have been a very boring day in Australia that day.....they should probably be more concerned with the plight of there own indigenous people.

Ozzie
17th August 2006, 19:35
Must have been a very boring day in Australia that day.....

Specially considering they were quoting the Herald
:killingme

MattRSK
17th August 2006, 19:36
can you say bong?

Big Dave
17th August 2006, 19:51
Dave, sorry dude, but I'm pretty sure we have the right idea.

Doesn't need to be Kaka St to be shit street. Not in my area anyway.

I've only been here 5 years ex newcastle - I had a completely incorrect pre-conception of what the place was like. media driven.

Big Dave
17th August 2006, 19:59
Must have been a very boring day in Australia that day.....they should probably be more concerned with the plight of there own indigenous people.

What - you think we aren't? Check the ATSIC budget, the amount of effort and government funding and blow it out yer arse. Where's the smileys gone? tongue poking out one here <-

98tls
17th August 2006, 20:04
What - you think we aren't? Check the ATSIC budget, the amount of effort and government funding and blow it out yer arse. Where's the smileys gone? tongue poking out one here <- Dave i couldnt give a Rats arse about maoris or abbos i just thought it strange for an Aussie paper to waste time on it.....

Ozzie
17th August 2006, 20:08
can you say bong?

Me?

Boong or Bong?

Don't get it sorry mate, not racist, call it a competitive edge! Oh, ok, perhaps a little patriotic as well.

Dave, dude, misconception? Yet, a guy from Newcastle says he lives now in the city of snails?

Go the Brewry, love that place, used to ride my ZZR600 up from the Cross on a Sunday arvo, lovely place, and not a bad ride either if you take the old Pacific.

Big Dave
17th August 2006, 20:34
Dave i couldnt give a Rats arse about maoris or abbos i just thought it strange for an Aussie paper to waste time on it.....

yeah - it was just pokey tongue out thingy.

I agree - stoopid.

riffer
17th August 2006, 21:00
Hmmm. And all this time I thought the Maori name for excrement was teho.

McJim
17th August 2006, 22:10
Specially considering they were quoting the Herald
:killingme
That's what got me thinking. Far a Fairfax owned newspaper to rely on AND QUOTE an APN Newspaper (anyone who still thinks Wilson & Horton owns the NZ Herald go take a look at the side of their building) means they must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for stories.

I wonder if they just made it up or if the story is true?

Squeak the Rat
18th August 2006, 08:32
I thought "kak" was africaans, eg

"Listen. I'm going to the kak-heis for a kaka, there had better not be any damn moofies in there. Is it."

Big Dave
18th August 2006, 09:05
on another note...saw you getting on the motorway at greenlane at like 11 am big dave...

such well behaved riding (was a passenger in my mums cage)

Mate - I have f*ck all points left. I'm sammy-speed-limit for the next 18months.

boring - but necessary.

Blackbird
18th August 2006, 09:34
...about life in NZ.
Look at the dribble the sydney papers serve up.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-tales/nz-where-the-streets-have-no-shame/2006/08/17/1155407937267.html

3rd lead story as i post. Must be a very quiet news day.

Not only a quiet day Big Dave, but a bloody mischeivous one too. The Aussie paper which it was reported in is owned by Fairfax. The local Tokoroa paper is the South Waikato News. Guess what? Owned by Fairfax. Guess what number 2? None of this has been reported in the local paper. Not wanting to be told that they print bollocks and stir the locals up methinks. Think I might have a stir-up about this myself :innocent:

Big Dave
18th August 2006, 14:27
Not only a quiet day Big Dave, but a bloody mischeivous one too. The Aussie paper which it was reported in is owned by Fairfax. The local Tokoroa paper is the South Waikato News. Guess what? Owned by Fairfax. Guess what number 2? None of this has been reported in the local paper. Not wanting to be told that they print bollocks and stir the locals up methinks. Think I might have a stir-up about this myself :innocent:

Go for it - my first ever paid job was as an office boy at the Sydney Morning Harold in 1972. They offered me a cadetship - but I didn't want to drink that much.

I'll tell you some stories one day. Funny place.

Blackbird
18th August 2006, 14:33
Go for it - my first ever paid job was as an office boy at the Sydney Morning Harold in 1972. They offered me a cadetship - but I didn't want to drink that much.

Look forward to it. A career in journalism was one of my serious career options before I chose engineering. Maybe my liver is the better for it.:yes:

I'll wait until next week's local paper comes out in case they are simply tardy, and then I'll start winding them up if the story is not printed.

Ozzie
18th August 2006, 14:42

My father worked there at about the same time.

DingDong
18th August 2006, 14:45
Maori place names, the great thing about NZ place names is they all have a meaning...

Te Teko , Te= the, teko= shit (the shit)
Tarawera , Tara= twat, wera= hot (hot twat)
Urewera , Ure= cock... you know what wera means...

Thats all I can think of right now.

Imagine what would happen if the Aussies knew to whole story:shutup:

But then again, Toowong and Ipswitch are some pretty stupid sounding Aussie names... wonder what they mean?

sels1
18th August 2006, 14:54
Mate - I have f*ck all points left. I'm sammy-speed-limit for the next 18months.

boring - but necessary.

Ha - your're not only one in that club!

And kaka, teko etc - sounds like a load of crap to me

McJim
18th August 2006, 15:37
But then again, Toowong and Ipswitch are some pretty stupid sounding Aussie names... wonder what they mean?

Funniest one I've seen is Townsville.

town = town
ville = town

therefore townstown?

Ozzie
18th August 2006, 16:32
My home town -

Wagga Wagga - Translation, place of many crows (wagga = crows?)

there is also Walla Walla, Yarong Yarong, Gumly Gumly and many many more!

Aboriginals used to stutter, either that or the poms that made the names up did.

Then of course there is the classic.....

The whities got confussed over the Aboriginal name for a flow of water, wanted to name a town after it, ended up naming the place Yarong Creek.

The story goes, Adelong means river, no, Ya wrong, creek. So they called that town Yarong Creek, and just called another town Adelong (which actually does mean river).

How's that for some trivia?

Big Dave
18th August 2006, 20:23
My home town -

I lived in Wangi Wangi before here. Not too far from Kurri Kurri.

The duplication of names - Wagga Wagga - comes from the being no numeracy in Aboriginal.

There is one - or more than one - no numbers in the language - to say there were a lot of crows in wagga - you say Wagga Wagga.

KBer 'Warewolf' is a Wagga boy. (aye Colin!)

Ozzie
18th August 2006, 22:29
Kurri Kurri.

Is that the Bondi for Indian's, many Kurri's?

P/T (No offence intended)

McJim
18th August 2006, 22:37
The duplication of names - Wagga Wagga - comes from the being no numeracy in Aboriginal.

Possible misconception here - maybe 'many' is a number too as in:

one
two
many
many one
many two
many many
many many one
many many two
many many many
lots

(apologies to Terry Pratchett)

Big Dave
19th August 2006, 09:59
Yes - I think that's actually the way it works.

Big Dave
19th August 2006, 10:03
Is that the Bondi for Indian's, many Kurri's?

P/T (No offence intended)

Well - actually we decided that it would be good to get a Curry in Kurri Kurri, but we couldn't find an Indian Restaurant and we were in a hurry.

What we wanted was the 'We're in a hurry Kurri kurri Curry House' - but in a flurry it's absence was a worry.

True story.

Beemer
19th August 2006, 17:37
And yet if a Maori wants to drive around in a car with the number plate TUTAE - which my Maori dictionary lists as "dung, shit, turd" then he's allowed to?

My dictionary lists the meaning for kaka as "clothing, fibre, line, (tattoo/ancestry), handnet, flutter", definitely not the definition this guy is claiming! There are four different definitions for it, one without any macrons (as above), one with the macron over the first a (red hot), one over the second (cork), and one with macrons over both (parrot).

I've seen other cases where that guy has complained about things being wrong - place names spelled wrong, etc. He's just a bloody stirrer!

andrea
20th August 2006, 20:11
My home town -

Aboriginals used to stutter, either that or the poms that made the names up did.

Then of course there is the classic.....

The whities got confussed over the Aboriginal name for a flow of water, wanted to name a town after it, ended up naming the place Yarong Creek.

The story goes, Adelong means river, no, Ya wrong, creek. So they called that town Yarong Creek, and just called another town Adelong (which actually does mean river).

How's that for some trivia?

oh thats how you spell it, i thought it was wogga wogga ahem, and someone was telling me about a place called wallowmadingdong, so i put a s in the front of it and said hm swallowmadingdong, some aussie names a pretty pffft weird mwhahaha:devil2:

andrea
20th August 2006, 20:17
or was it wallonggong or something hmm cant remember

McJim
20th August 2006, 20:31
oh thats how you spell it, i thought it was wogga wogga ahem, and someone was telling me about a place called wallowmadingdong, so i put a s in the front of it and said hm swallowmadingdong, some aussie names a pretty pffft weird mwhahaha:devil2:

But you don't got no ding dong?!?

warewolf
21st August 2006, 18:46
some aussie names a pretty pffft weird mwhahaha:devil2:Wot? Maori names aren't?

Waikikaamukau? Whaka? Whakapapa?

bwahahaha back atcha! :Punk:

All place names have meaning; it is by no means unique to NZ. :gob:
Interesting: Maori place names (http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/P/PlaceNames/MaoriPlaceNames/en).

Ozzie
22nd August 2006, 10:22
Yes that would be Wollongong, the Northern-most beach town of the NSW South Coast. Beautiful place it was (similar to Newcastle eh Dave). Awesome roads through the National park. Stop at Stanwell tops for a hotdog and Icecream at the icecream van, watch the hanggliders take off, before heading down to the beach. Unfortuantly the Leb's have taken over the beaches there now, so that sucks. Thats not a racisit comment btw, just a fact so get over it.

The other intersting place name in Sydney is Wooloomooloo ( War-la-ma loo). Yes its a real place, it is the Navy Base... That eight O's !!!
Hate to be pedantic, Wooloomooloo is actually,,,, Woolloomooloo Bay, there is A navy base there( one of 4 in Sydney I believe), it is called Garden Island (which isn’t actually an Island), or other wise referred to as Fleet Base East. Fleet base West is HMAS Stirling, which is on another Garden Island (which isn’t actually Garden Island, freaking Navy), off the Coast of Rockingham, south of Perth.

Woolloomooloo Bay is most famous for Harry’s Café De Wheels, which used to be a food service caravan, which had been there so long, and become so part of the area that they ended up building a permanent structure around it. Their main draw card is a mince pie topped with mashed potato, peas and Gravy, not my cup of tea, but very popular.

There is also the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel, that place used to be fantastic, was usually packed on a Friday and Saturday night with Sailors, meeting there, watching bands and getting a skin full before going up to the Cross, or to the Rocks.

The pub played many a Kiwi band there, one that will always stick in my mind was “Le Club Nerd”, they played a lot of 70’s and 80’s music, and did it very well.

Oh well, had to have a bit of a rant, it’s a nice day for riding, I’m stuck at work, so had to do something.

McJim
22nd August 2006, 10:29
It all sounds so much more exotic than Lochwinnoch or Auchtermuchty (made famous by the Fox Hat...as in "Auchtermuchty....wear the Fox Hat")

Us europeans can't really laugh when there's a place in Wales called Llanfairpwllgwngllgogerycwmdrobbllantisiliogogogoc h (apologies if it's spelt wrong but I'm a Jock not a Taff).

First time I went to Italy I nearly pissed myself laughing at a town called Poggibonsi (Podgy Boncey).

It's everywhere.

andrea
22nd August 2006, 18:46
Yes that would be Wollongong, the Northern-most beach town of the NSW South Coast. Beautiful place it was (similar to Newcastle eh Dave). Awesome roads through the National park. Stop at Stanwell tops for a hotdog and Icecream at the icecream van, watch the hanggliders take off, before heading down to the beach. Unfortuantly the Leb's have taken over the beaches there now, so that sucks. Thats not a racisit comment btw, just a fact so get over it.

The other intersting place name in Sydney is Wooloomooloo ( War-la-ma loo). Yes its a real place, it is the Navy Base... That eight O's !!!
yeah one of our friends moved over to aussie sometime ago and then came back and was telling us bout the names and how confusing it was, wollongong was mentioned and he was "what? where??" LOL
hmm it cant be as bad as some tongan names like ufa which is a girls name in tongan but actually means fuck in samoan. :mellow:

andrea
22nd August 2006, 19:21
Wot? Maori names aren't?

Waikikaamukau? Whaka? Whakapapa?

bwahahaha back atcha! :Punk:

All place names have meaning; it is by no means unique to NZ. :gob:
Interesting: Maori place names (http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/P/PlaceNames/MaoriPlaceNames/en).
oh man im curious but what is a wangdoo didgeridoo:mellow:, hmmm
quote "A Didgeridoo is basically a piece a wood that evolved into a unique musical instrument and meditation tool. This evolution gives a strong spiritual aura to your instrument and in order to enjoy and discover your Didgeridoo, you should follow some basic care rules. To protect and nourish the wood, we applied a wax based protective finish on the outside of the Didgeridoo and a linseed oil coating in the inside.It is a good idea to apply more linseed oil to the inside every year. To do so you will need a cup of linseed oil and a funnel. Place the Didgeridoo in one of the containers with the mouth piece facing up, pour the oil in it and repeat the operation three or four times. Let all the oil drain out for a few hours and your Didge will be a happy Didge."

andrea
22nd August 2006, 19:23
:mellow: :shifty: :spanking: :devil2:

Big Dave
22nd August 2006, 22:40
I got some cool didgereedoo music - last time we were over some guys were busking on circular quay with a midi and 2 'doos'.
Bought a CD off them for $10 - I like it.

warewolf
22nd August 2006, 23:15
oh man im curious but what is a wangdoo didgeridooWell a didge is a didge but a wangdoo sounds like a cheap asian knock-off (as opposed to a cheap asian knock-shop, which you'd find in Woolloomooloo or up the 'Cross).

Bit of a difficult instrument to play, you've got to master that circular breathing thing. The ones they sell at airports aren't too good, as one would (wood?) expect. If you want a proper one, I have contacts. Instrument of choice for evening entertainment for some of the Taswegian cavers.

You can make up a fair facsimilie of one using a length of pvc drain pipe. The mouthpiece is the difficult bit, but is basically just a doughnut-shaped lump of beeswax that you shape to your mouth while still holding a seal to the bigger opening of the didge.

Pretty much every kid in Australia has used the morning newspaper or the remains of the glad wrap roll, or pretty much any pipe they can get their mitts on, as a didge.

WarlockNZ
23rd August 2006, 19:22
Dave i couldnt give a Rats arse about maoris or abbos i just thought it strange for an Aussie paper to waste time on it.....

Gonna have to go with you on this one ... who gives a shit! .. NZ is the only country in the world where 10% of the population get to tell the other 90% how to live and what to say and think .. ever hear of reverse rasism ??? .. see .. some things just really grind my gears!