PDA

View Full Version : Tyres going 'off'?

Keystone19
18th August 2006, 12:59
To cut a long story short I am currently running a pilot power on the front (12500km) and a Strada on the rear (stole it off the race SV when we built the race bike and they had no pilot powers in stock). I have no idea how many kms on the Strada but when I had it put on Matt said to be careful because it appeared to have been sitting around for a while.

I've done about 2-3000km on the Strada.

The last week I've had three rear wheel slides and today I felt like I was riding on ball bearings.

There is plenty of tread on the tyre, and the tyre pressures are fine.

Is it possible the tyre has gone 'off' or is it all in my head?

merv
18th August 2006, 13:28
Old rubber does appear to be a problem it seems to go hard and slippery. How long has the tyre been sitting around - was it in bright light?

I tend not to have this problem with bikes but I certainly did with cars. The only second hand import I ever bought was a 4x4 that had Bridgestone tyres on it and it had no grip in the wet. Put a new set of Bridgestones on and it was perfect. Similarly inherited a car when the mother in law died and she drove about 2,000km/year - that car just had no grip in the wet - it would wheelspin and slide up Ngauranga Gorge in 4th gear and would have been lethal in inexperienced hands. The tyres were just plain old but with plenty of tread.

Keystone19
18th August 2006, 13:32
I don't know how long the tyre had been sitting around prior to my receiving it but it had been on the shop floor for a while. Matt (Haldanes) did observe that it had gone hard and slippery from sitting around. I took it easy at first and it is fine in the dry (until the last week or so) but has always been a bit dodgy in the wet.

merv
18th August 2006, 13:35
If it doesn't scuff in and doesn't feel any better then ditch it I would say, if the rubber has gone like that it won't improve.

WRT
18th August 2006, 13:49
I dont think it will scrub in again, once they go "off" there seems to be no going back. I've even heard of people buying tyres for their car in advance and leaving them in the back of the garage for a year or so to "harden up" so they can get more k's out of them.

Just plain stingey if you ask me tho.

Zed
18th August 2006, 13:50
Hi Jill, aside from the possibility that the rubber is dodgy on the Strada, as I said last night running two different tyre brands with each having a different compound and tread pattern is not wise and can lead to 'ball-bearing like' moments too.

Fitting a matching set is your safest bet imo. :yes:

vifferman
18th August 2006, 13:56
Yup, I'd say the tyre has gone off.
Happened to me with the tyre I had on my VF500 - it was so hard it would spin up around corners in the dry.
Also happened with my son's Peugeot 205 GTi: the PO had put 2nd-hand Michelin Pilot Sports tyres on it, and even though it had LOTS of tread, it would spin up in the dry, no problems, and was diabolical in the damp.

Keystone19
18th August 2006, 14:13
I guess it's all hypothetical really.

After today's ride I have ordered a new set of Pilot Powers so even if it is all in my head, I'll now have no excuses!

kiwifruit
18th August 2006, 15:21
tyres do go off alright!
the rubber i had on my 150 had been sitting around for 5 years, it let go on the track with no warning and at very mild lean angles.
Well, i hope it was the rubber's fault or I will be screwed when i race it :shit:

Zed
18th August 2006, 15:47
After today's ride I have ordered a new set of Pilot Powers so even if it is all in my head, I'll now have no excuses!Good gurl, go the Pilot Powers!! :niceone:

Bonez
19th August 2006, 16:51
I'll let you all know how the old front 19 inch TT100 I just bought for $20 goes. Apperently it's been stored under a house for the last 15 years.

Mental Trousers
19th August 2006, 17:29
Shaun has the Power Pilot rear that came off my bike. Still has a few thousand k's of road use in it but I don't know if it's any good for racing on. Ask him.

To cut a long story short I am currently running a pilot power on the front (12500km) and a Strada on the rear (stole it off the race SV when we built the race bike and they had no pilot powers in stock). I have no idea how many kms on the Strada but when I had it put on Matt said to be careful because it appeared to have been sitting around for a while.

I've done about 2-3000km on the Strada.

The last week I've had three rear wheel slides and today I felt like I was riding on ball bearings.

There is plenty of tread on the tyre, and the tyre pressures are fine.

Is it possible the tyre has gone 'off' or is it all in my head?

Kyle
19th August 2006, 17:50
Tires will harden up over time but generally that takes years, however when they are sitting for quite awhile the wax comes to the surface, and you will need to scuff them in again, like you would with brand new tires. I always use the fingernail test, you should be able to push your nail into the rubber and get at least a mm or two of deflection, and the rubber should bounce straight back and not leave an indentation.

Posh Tourer :P
19th August 2006, 20:26
The 15 year old Rille 12 I had on the front of the BM didnt provide too many problems once I'd scrubbed it in a bit.... There was a thick layer of hardened rubber on the outside though, and it took longer to scrub in than a normal tyre. Same goes for the old crap I had on the MZ and the Honda CB125. Although the original MZ front went - it was cracked badly and original 1987 factory fitment!! As well as having been sat flat as a pancake, on the bike, for a few years.

That said, I can't comment on newer model tyres, on more powerful bikes.....

stevedee
19th August 2006, 21:06
I am with you... after the Bridgestones wore out I bought Pilot Powers, no excuses.

Good on ya

spd :-)

bugjuice
20th August 2006, 10:07
put it this way, if it is in your head, then you won't get it out of your head properly until you get a new set.

To say if it truly has gone off or not, it be best to actually look at it. But normally they have a stranger looking 'black plastic' sort of look and they're just hard. And yeah, once they're off, they're only good for burn outs.

If they're stored out of the light, they'd be fine. If they're on the shop floor too long, or in light for ages, then the UV and air doing its thing, break down the rubber and make it well 'ard..

Racey Rider
20th August 2006, 10:33
The front tyre on my racer is old,, as is 'Cracking in the treads' old.
I find it a lot harder to heat up than another similar tyre I use.
Though it is fine in the dry, if the track is wet I swap to another tyre, as this really old one has put me down once while wet without pushing it very hard.
I have no confidence in it in the wet. But keep using it in the dry as I'm doing a 'KK'* and waiting for the canvas to show.

*('Kwaka-Kid' - the early years.)

NhuanH
20th August 2006, 12:51
it had gone hard and slippery
geez Louise, do you need the R18 warning on your posts??