PDA

View Full Version : To all GSX600F owners...What size sprocket on front?

cowboyz
18th August 2006, 17:03
I want to know what is the largest sprocket you can put on the front of the GSX6F?

I have just replaced the sprockets and was surposed to put a 14/44 on it (like was on before) but for whatever reason I ended up with a 14/45. It just pushed the revs up just enought to make it buzzy at 120k. I would like to drop it down again and figure a 15/45 (cause that will only cost me $25 to do) would be great as being a little taller than it started off with, but if I can get away with it a 16/45 should rock along.

comments?

dhunt
18th August 2006, 21:29
I want to know what is the largest sprocket you can put on the front of the GSX6F?

I have just replaced the sprockets and was surposed to put a 14/44 on it (like was on before) but for whatever reason I ended up with a 14/45. It just pushed the revs up just enought to make it buzzy at 120k. I would like to drop it down again and figure a 15/45 (cause that will only cost me $25 to do) would be great as being a little taller than it started off with, but if I can get away with it a 16/45 should rock along.

comments?
My new set that I bought ages go - still not on the bike is 14/46. I'm pretty sure that's what I had on the bike as well. 120k was about 7k in top gear. I can't confirm what's on the bike as I've sold it to my little brother.

dhunt
18th August 2006, 21:30
This site says the stock size was 14/46 till 92

http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/sprockets_jt_suzuki/sprockets_jt_suzuki.htm

cowboyz
18th August 2006, 21:44
yep. that sounds right. hoping I can get conformation that a 16 will fit and then hopefully will drop it to somewhere around 5000 at 120. Maybe even better for longer touring. What you riding now you sold your bike?

dhunt
18th August 2006, 21:50
yep. that sounds right. hoping I can get conformation that a 16 will fit and then hopefully will drop it to somewhere around 5000 at 120. Maybe even better for longer touring. What you riding now you sold your bike?
I got rid of the F and picked up an R :) K3 model in alstare colours goes really good for a :scooter:

If you change the gearing too much you'll lose your acceralation and have to change gears more often but might be slightly better for touring. What gearing did you have on it before? Cause I'm sure yours didn't rev as high as mine for the same speed aye.

cowboyz
19th August 2006, 05:40
14/44 is what I took off it. I dont think I will mind losing the acceleration. It might be nice going somewhere without getting a ticket for once. I think I will change the front toi a 15 and that should be good enough I would think.

The way you rode the F I am a little worried about seeing you on a R. Did you go 600 or bigger?

MSTRS
19th August 2006, 09:19
1 tooth on front is equivalent to 3 on the rear. 15/45 would be a reasonable compromise, giving lower cruising revs without sacrificing too much acceleration.

Lord Derosso
19th August 2006, 10:41
I remember ten months ago asking the same question when I first brought my 600F. I wasn't use to the more modern high reving engines and I was also told not to change from the stock size because the bike doesnt have enough torque range, though the shop said it wiould be better to upsize for touring and it would save engine wear. To be quite frank, I am use to the bike now and really do enjoy the acceration through city traffic in 2 and 3rd gears as it is presently. I think its does around 7000 rpm at 120kms and 5500 at 100kms., and redline is at 12500?? I have only had it up to about 140km in a quick blast but I have no need for R type speeds. I intend to do some touring in the New Year so will have a better idea of wheather shes capable then and may look at setting her up for that and getting a scooter for around the city.

Lord Derosso
19th August 2006, 10:45
This site says the stock size was 14/46 till 92

http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/sprockets_jt_suzuki/sprockets_jt_suzuki.htm

And my 98 katana is a 14 x 47 ? More teeth more revs?

dhunt
19th August 2006, 11:11
14/44 is what I took off it. I dont think I will mind losing the acceleration. It might be nice going somewhere without getting a ticket for once. I think I will change the front toi a 15 and that should be good enough I would think.

The way you rode the F I am a little worried about seeing you on a R. Did you go 600 or bigger?
Nah still only a 600 but in quite a different league to F models. I've slowed down lots after my bin last year (haven't really got my confidence back completely yet) and two tickets in two trips didn't help either.

I'm not sure gearing will help much in the ticket department. It will still be easy to slip up to the magic killer speed 111. My mate glenn got done a month or so at that speed on the way to wanganui.

New bike does 109 or so in 6th @5.4k for a comparison.

dhunt
19th August 2006, 11:15
And my 98 katana is a 14 x 47 ? More teeth more revs?
More teeth at the back = lower gearing=higher revs
More teeth at the front = higher gearing=lower revs

I wouldn't think your 98 model would rev any higher at same speed as they have probably changed the internal gearing to suit.