PDA

View Full Version : (uk) Government Ignores Police Concerns In Changing Speed Limit Rules

Fat Tony
18th August 2006, 19:20
I thought some of this may be of interest after reading through some of your posts... revenue, revenue, revenue...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

(UK) GOVERNMENT IGNORES POLICE CONCERNS IN CHANGING SPEED LIMIT RULES

Road safety group, the Association of British Drivers, has learned that a key change to the rules for speed limit setting, announced recently, was opposed by a 2-to-1 majority of those police forces that responded to the government's consultation on the issue.

Under the new rules, issued in a government circular earlier this month [1], speed limits will in future be set on the basis of mean (average) vehicle speeds. This tears up the scientific basis on which speed limits have been set for nearly 40 years. Research from around the world shows that the most respected and effective speed limits are those set at a speed that only 15 per cent of drivers would exceed if there were no limit -- the "85th percentile" speed. It has also been found that drivers travelling at around this speed have the lowest accident involvement [2].

Changing to average speeds will result in lower speed limits being set, meaning that half of all drivers, including the safest, will be acting outside the law if they drive normally.

It now emerges that the government has decided to go ahead with this change, despite opposition from the police. The results of a consultation into the proposed changes have been circulated to all those organisations that made their views known [3]. Of the 18 police forces and police organisations that responded to the consultation, 11 opposed the change to mean speeds as the basis of speed limit setting, with only five in favour.

The reason for the police objections is that the new rules will lead to lower speed limits being set, which will mean there will be less self-compliance and a need for greater enforcement.

ABD Policy Director, Mark McArthur-Christie, comments: "The organisations with arguably the best knowledge of how speed limits work in practice -- the police -- have voted decisively against a change to mean speeds for speed limit setting. It is another example of the arrogance of this government that it thinks it knows best and has decided to go ahead anyway."

The government justifies the change to mean speeds because of the claimed "well proven relationship" between average speeds and accident frequency. In fact, this claimed relationship is based on a couple of desk-top studies carried out in the 1990s, in which accident rates were compared on roads of similar type but with different average speeds. However, when similar roads have different average speeds, this is because they have different traffic flows, and accident rates are affected by changes in traffic flow. For this reason, the Transport Research Laboratory has recommended that "...roads with very different flow rates should NOT be studied together" (original emphasis) [4].

The government's lack of understanding of how speed limits affect road safety is summed up in its new guidance, where one of the aims of the new system is to have "...all vehicles moving at speeds as close to the posted speed limit as possible." As Mark McArthur-Christie explains:

"This shows the government's nanny-state tendencies, by assuming that drivers are incapable of thinking for themselves and must be constantly regulated. But even well set speed limits are only a rough guide to what may be a safe speed under a particular set of conditions, and drivers need to vary their speed as those conditions change -- and reduce their speed to well below the limit when necessary. Most drivers are capable of doing this successfully, but those skills are eroded if drivers are encouraged to offload their responsibility and slavishly drive at the posted speed limit regardless. Switched-off, zombie drivers are dangerous drivers."

ENDS

Notes:

[1] Department for Transport Circular 1/2006, Setting Local Speed Limits.

[2] An explanation of the way speed limits should be used and the background to the 85th percentile speed for setting speed limits can be found at www.abd.org.uk/speed_limits_85th.htm.

[3] Department for Transport decision letter following consultation on new guidance on setting local speed limits, August 2006.

[4] Published Project Report PPR026: Accident Analysis on Rural Roads - A Technical Guide. Transport Research Laboratory, 2004. (Quote taken from para 4.15)

Press Enquiries: 0870 4442535
ABD general enquiries and membership: 07000-781544
For more information about the ABD visit our Website at http://www.abd.org.uk

The Association of British Drivers is run on a voluntary basis to lobby for the beleaguered British motorist:
"Reclaiming the roads for the people who pay for them"
"Demanding proper roads (and railways) in exchange for paying one seventh of all taxes"
"Debunking the nonsense you hear about the environmental impact of the car"
"Promoting effective road safety instead of the criminalisation of safe driving"

This press release has been sent via the ABDPR mailing list.
To unsubscribe, or change your email address, visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/abdpr

ABD press releases are also available as an RSS feed.
http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/abdpr.rss

For further details on RSS see http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/rss.htm

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/abdpr/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
abdpr-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

McJim
18th August 2006, 20:02
Well, now the 62.5mph speed limit in New Zealand ain't gonna look too bad...

Mind you the 85th percentile on some roads in the UK is about 98mph (155kph)....

s'gonna be odd or just plain wrong

Grahameeboy
18th August 2006, 20:14
Well, now the 62.5mph speed limit in New Zealand ain't gonna look too bad...

Mind you the 85th percentile on some roads in the UK is about 98mph (155kph)....

s'gonna be odd or just plain wrong

and the death rate is lower in UK too despite drivers travelling faster which makes you think too.

Skyryder
18th August 2006, 21:20
Maybe some of our top Police Officers need a 'tour of duty' in the UK. Here all they do applaud the Government on thier roading policies.

Skyryder

Patrick
18th August 2006, 21:38
Maybe some of our top Police Officers need a 'tour of duty' in the UK. Here all they do applaud the Government on thier roading policies.

Skyryder

Thats coz the bean counters (ie Govt) fork out $$$ and want to see results of what the money is going into.... but this has all been :done: before...

Lou Girardin
19th August 2006, 08:47
Our speed camera trigger points were set at the 85th percentile speed for the first year or so of operation. They didn't produce enough revenue so the trigger point was changed to 11 k's over.
When it comes to squeezing the motorist, few Govt's can beat ours.

moko
20th August 2006, 12:54
Changing to average speeds will result in lower speed limits being set, meaning that half of all drivers, including the safest, will be acting outside the law if they drive normally.

I`m a bit confused as to the logic here,why does changing to average speeds mean lower speed limits being set? Maybe it means the end of the usual practice of speeding up after the speed cameras then slowing down for the next one but that`s not the same thing.And if drivers obey the prevailing speed limits they`ll never,ever be speeding no matter whether the cameras clock the average speed or just the speed through a normal camera.The only time anyone will ever get nicked by any speed detection device,be it in a car or on the side of the road is if they`re speeding,breaking the law.If you cant do the time,or pay the fine,dont do the crime,not rocket science is it?And yes I do speed,regularly and waaay outside the law but if I get caught it`s my fult,not the Cop`s,not the cameras.I know the law the same as everyone else,I also know that if I never speed I`ll never get done for speeding,my choice and if I get nicked I wont bleat about it.

moko
20th August 2006, 13:00
Just one point for N.Z. riders that they might not be aware of.Most Brit regional Police forces actually tell people on their web-sitews where the speed cameras are,both static and mobile,on a daily basis.The static ones are all sign-posted,by law,and even painted yellow,STILL stupid bastards get caught by the thousand.Just a typical Brit thing sadly,when people get caught it`s everyone else`s fault but theirs.Dont ever speed and you`ll never get done for speeding,I`d have thought the average 5 year-old could work that one out.

James Deuce
20th August 2006, 13:03
I`m a bit confused as to the logic here,why does changing to average speeds mean lower speed limits being set?

What do UK motorways look like between 6am and 10am? A carpark. Avergae that speed over the rest of the day when there are fewer vehicles travelling faster and it isn;t long before you'd end up with a 10mph open road limit.

Swoop
20th August 2006, 13:51
I`m a bit confused as to the logic here,why does changing to average speeds mean lower speed limits being set?
Quite simple. There is no way the speed limit will increase unless heaps or vehicles exceed the speed limit to raise the average speed.
During that time the gubbinment is ticketing all those vehicles - KaChing!! Thank you, come again!
So the average drifts steadily downwards...