PDA

View Full Version : Silkolene Titanium ChainGel (aerosol)

XRNR
27th April 2003, 17:44
PIck it up from:
Fuchs Lubricants, 399 Rosebank Rd. Avondale Auckland.
Ph 828 3255.

Cost: $10.96 + GST per 400ml can.

Good sticky stuff this!

XRNR
2nd January 2004, 14:42
MotoMail sells it for about $25 a can. (Same can).

Hope this doesn't indicate their markups in general!

MikeL
2nd January 2004, 17:14
MotoMail sells it for about $25 a can. (Same can).

Hope this doesn't indicate their markups in general!

Bugger!
I bought a can of the stuff from Motomail a couple of weeks back - $25 exactly.
That is one hell of a mark-up!

bluninja
3rd January 2004, 10:20
PIck it up from:
Ph 828 3255.

Good sticky stuff this!
Do they do other lubricant products as well ? and are they all priced well below Motomail? (I know I know. I could just go and look see myself)

TTFN

XRNR
3rd January 2004, 11:28
Do they do other lubricant products as well ? and are they all priced well below Motomail? (I know I know. I could just go and look see myself)

Worth it, carry change, they usually have to open their personal wallets to find the small bits for you.

They do the Fuchs & Silkolene products. Oils, greases, 2stroke oils, filter oils, all the stuff.

They should be priced below anyone else, as they are the suppliers of said products. They are just happy to deal with Joe public, (as long as we don't give them too much greif).

(I wish all wholesalers were like that).

Triki
25th January 2004, 11:34
i think all of motomails prices are well marked up, i trust red barron, they always give a good deal, i got a price for some tag tripple clamps from another bike shop $1200 for top and bottom clamp, red barron did the same gear plus a tag fat bar and tag grips for $1150 and it was a fancy chrome CR high bend bar to.

Menial
18th April 2004, 23:35
yeah, motomail can go and die in a hole as far as I'm concerned. past experiences...
fuchs have got the full range in their warehouse just down the road from their HQ

Bleck K6
22nd April 2004, 20:31
PIck it up from:
Ph 828 3255.

Good sticky stuff this!
I use that, it is really good stuff.might have to stock up next time I'm in Auckland.

Grumpy
23rd April 2004, 09:13
I recently fitted a Scottoiler. Excellent. If you've got the room to fit one I'd recommend one.

Grumpy
23rd April 2004, 09:21
Oops. Not sure if that post belongs in this catagory. :Oops:

Gixxer 4 ever
25th June 2004, 19:40
PIck it up from:
Ph 828 3255.

Good sticky stuff this!
This is an interesting thread. Got in to this on the sportbike news group. Personal. I have made a stand for the bike and lift it every Friday night. Spin the rear tyre and put a thin small line of NT "No Throw" oil ,a thin one at that, down the pivot points of each link as it roles around. Both top and bottom and centre for sprockets. Then I ride all weekend and do it again on Sunday night. This chain stays clean and I never adjust it so it is not stretching. It is and O ring chain. When I purchased the bike the chain was supposedly stuffed. I rod it back to Hawkes Bay from Hamilton and the chain felt dry and horrible and has a stack of wax on it. I was going to replace it but with a clean and this treatment it is like new now and has done 16,000k since I have had it. A Scott oiler would be good but I hate all the cable ties and shit you have to put on the bike. With a cheap wooden stand this works well. I do not like the wax as the dirt sticks to it and I recon the wax damages the O and X rings when the chain is cold.

Gixxer 4 ever
25th June 2004, 19:44
ooops note this is headed " Off road" Sorry. :Oops: But I use the same for my DR200 and XT250 but ever time I ride. :rolleyes:

jrandom
2nd July 2004, 14:56
Interesting. Just noticed this thread.

I use Silkolene on the FXR's chain, good stuff it is. I bought the last can up at Cyclespot, paid $20-something, presumably the same as at Motomail.

I didn't know that the Fuchs place in Rosebank Rd sold retail-style to the public. My bad for not bothering to go in and check. I use Fuchs 10W40 in the engine, too.

I know where I'll be buying my bike lubrication products from now on, then.

loosebruce
30th July 2004, 01:27
I heard of this chain gel and the only reason i don't have it right now is that im still trying to use the stuff i have at the moment up, then i'll buy the chain gel, i don't know bout you guys out there but i'm sick of the mess you get left with after a ride, incidently the guy who i brought it off from motomail reckoned it was a top lube and didn't flick off, go figure!! Can't remember what brand it was, it wasn't a mainstream brand, in a yellow can??

V Twin Raver
2nd August 2004, 10:17
i don't know bout you guys out there but i'm sick of the mess you get left with after a ride,

No disrespect dude but whatever you are using currently is a good advertisement for 'what not to use'. I saw your bike on the weekend ride and sheeeite does that chain spit off some serious lube - it was right up the side of the rear fairing!! I mean my bike prep is nearing anal proportions but I haven't seen chain lube make such a mess since I was a young punk on a pedal powered chopper and my dad used to lube the chain with engine oil!! (ended up with oil all over my right trouser leg)

MikeL
2nd August 2004, 11:36
I use the chain gel on my Honda - great stuff, no fling. Used to use it on the XJR until I fitted a Scottoiler. Now that's the way to go. Absolutely brilliant (once you get the delivery rate properly adjusted) and didn't cost a fortune either.

vifferman
2nd August 2004, 12:05
I've used 80/90 oil (very messy), Shell Chain Lube (too sticky - collects all the road crap), WD40 (OK on an O-Ring chain, but needs frequent reapplication) and Spectro Chain Wax (excellent - almost no fling-off if you allow it to dry overnight).

Having tried a few different methods, my regular one now is when the chain gets a little noisy, I give it two applications of WD40, wipe the chain with a rag, then the next day I apply the chain wax, wipe off the excess, and allow to dry.

Zapf
18th November 2004, 10:26
FYI

Just been to Fuchs this morning and it seems they no longer sell to the public. But apprently we can buy it from BNT thou, I'll find out if they will sell to the public. Or has someone got a cash account that don't mind us using?

NC
18th November 2004, 10:40
Isn't that a 150% mark up on price?

Bad Motormail!!!!!!!

Blakamin
18th November 2004, 10:49
can get it at Motomart...
saw it saturday....

thought..."oooh....titanium....mmmmm"
but i didn't have the $$$$ :Oops:

scroter
18th November 2004, 11:28
No disrespect dude but whatever you are using currently is a good advertisement for 'what not to use'. I saw your bike on the weekend ride and sheeeite does that chain spit off some serious lube - it was right up the side of the rear fairing!! I mean my bike prep is nearing anal proportions but I haven't seen chain lube make such a mess since I was a young punk on a pedal powered chopper and my dad used to lube the chain with engine oil!! (ended up with oil all over my right trouser leg)

chain oil should fling off, if it dosent like Gixxer 4 ever said dirt will stick to it and it will turn to a grinding paste and your seals will get killed. the idea of the oil is mainly to keep the chain clean as its already lubed. if you put the oil on the inside of the chain the centrafugal force forces it through the chain taking dirt with it and flicking it off. if you do this while the chain is still hot (like after a ride) it works best. corse it does nothing for polished wheels. however another reason for lube all over your wheel is apllying too much lube. you only need to do one lap of the chain with the lube. kerosene it ab out every 1000ks. hope this helps