PDA

View Full Version : Bike-to-bike intercoms

re5rotary
19th August 2006, 20:51
Hi Im looking for a bike to bike intercom. Anyone using one at the moment that can comment on which ones work and which dont or do none work? regards Terry

Wasp
19th August 2006, 21:53
I have wondered about this (be handy on group rides)

To me a cb walkietalkie is quite cheap (my bro uses them at work and when he goes 4wding in the middle of no where.

But all ive seen is $300 bluetooth units designed for rider and their pillion

Jsn
19th August 2006, 22:09
I use a 2 Transmitter / reciever setup with one of my friends.. Think the units are about $50 each from jaycar, then the throat mics are anoth $15 each.
It works quite well as you just velcro the transmitter onto your tank and wire the 'talk' button into the pass button on your handlebars... (who uses the pass button anyways)
Works well below 80kmh.. anything above that and the wind cuts into the signal too much.. i've heard rumors that you can tape the throat mic to your throat to cut out the wind noise tho. all up think it was about $120 for a bike 2 bike intercom with an effecitve 1/2 kilometre range

Zukin
19th August 2006, 22:58
I was talking to the techs at Uniden NZ last week and they told me they have a new unit coming out designed for bikes :yes:
It is a UHF handheld with a good output power, and it will have a remote PTT button (which is a button that you can mount on the handlebars)
It will also have VOX (voice activated system)

They reckon they will be out within a month

Cheers

merv
19th August 2006, 23:05
Hi Im looking for a bike to bike intercom. Anyone using one at the moment that can comment on which ones work and which dont or do none work? regards Terry

Never tried a bike to bike, so can't help you with that, but welcome to KB and I must say I'm amazed another RE5 pops up here.

Jantar
19th August 2006, 23:25
...I must say I'm amazed another RE5 pops up here.

There are at least five other RE5 owners who haven't yet joined up. :yes:

shafty
20th August 2006, 01:48
I have used a Pinfolds system, using Uniden radios and PTT switches which velcro round the handlebar, - when touring the South Island, we found them great for me (as llead rider) to tell my riding Buddy that it was safe to pass on the twisties! - We're sure the car drivers thouht we were crazy passing on corners, but we knew there was nothing coming for 2 kilometres!

THey are for sale if anyone is interested.

smokeyging
20th August 2006, 04:47
We would have to decide on a universal frequency, what channel etc, probably a 40 channel CB.
If some had UHF, another say SSB, and someone else with whatever, everybody will be gassing but no one will here anything. we would have to go back to the caveman days, you know….one finger, two fingers….

Holy Roller
20th August 2006, 12:52
One can purchase from supercheap a digitalk sp3380D 40 channel PRS radio for $29 or as a twin pack. Pinfold has the headset for these at last count for around the $30 mark on trademe, just checked they are now $20 buy now
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Helmets/auction-67297336.htm

These work well, the radio has a stated range of 5km. I have done the mod to add an external aerial to one of my radios to extend the range.

I also use these for communicating with the pillion at $50 it got to be a good deal. Pinfold has a new unit that one can add extra inputs to check out the website
http://www.amalgamate2000.com/sales/
Its a bit hard to navigate at first but its all there.

Ruralman
20th August 2006, 15:36
I was talking to the techs at Uniden NZ last week and they told me they have a new unit coming out designed for bikes :yes:
It is a UHF handheld with a good output power, and it will have a remote PTT button (which is a button that you can mount on the handlebars)
It will also have VOX (voice activated system)

They reckon they will be out within a month

Cheers

will it have an earpiece and mic to go in your helmet as well?? It sounds interesting - how do we find out more or hear when they're available. thanks

Hitcher
20th August 2006, 17:07
Mrs H and I have had several goes at using the Pinfolds set-ups on Uniden walkie-talkies. When they work, they work real well. But the plugs don't seem to hack it for longer than a few weeks' work. Shame really, because it's a nice simple system that's easy to install.

cowboyz
20th August 2006, 18:55
Maybe I am just stupid but I couldn't follow that pinfolds site at all. What do you need to communicate between two bikes? The radio and headsets are sold seperately? Buggered if I can tell how to compare prices on the site.

Holy Roller
22nd August 2006, 09:47
Pinfold sells two types of headset
The old "T" serries one of which I have. This is a basic headset that velcros into the helmet (The pix attached). And the K serries that is more robust and can have add ins to accomodate the mp3/detector/phone. This newer headset can be made for any type of radio, he even sells radios and headsets as a set.

One needs to read through the whole web page first to get to where one needs to go.

I have made up a bracket that holds the radio securely. It is easy to see the display and easy to change channels and select scan etc.

FlyingDutchMan
22nd August 2006, 20:58
The digital radios I work on at work (Tait) which work really well in really bad noise environments. Even in situations you can't tell what the hell you're saying, the other party can hear it perfectly clear (i.e. sounds like you're standing beside them well away from any noise source). Depending on the RF power you stick it on, you could get some impressive ranges (easily over 20km). The only downers is the fact that you're supposed to buy a RF channel (~$200/year last I heard) and the price... $2,000+ per radio. Any takers? Lucky I don't need to buy them as I can borrow my development ones for the weekend (lets just call it field testing).

Fat Tony
22nd August 2006, 21:34
These are fantastic bits of kit: http://www.autocom.co.uk/

I don't own one, but have used a mates on occasion and the clarity and range is really quite impressive. Not cheap though :(

NZ distributor is:
Dold Industries Ltd
17 Percio Place
PO Box 10393
Te Rapa
Hamilton
New Zealand

Phone: +64 7 849 4392
Fax: +64 7 849 4114

Lou Girardin
23rd August 2006, 08:43
We had a customer in the other day who uses bone mikes on military comms systems he makes. No extraneous noise, no mike rubbing on your chin, the perfect answer at around $900 each.

Ruralman
23rd August 2006, 22:13
I got the following reply from an enquiry on the Uniden website re their intercom options.
hank you for visiting our website and using the web request form.

We are currently developing the BH-041 bike helmet microphones that will fit out handheld PRS units that will enable communication between motorcycles. These units are not available in New Zealand, but we are expecting them in to be released in October.
Kind Regards
Christina Hopovihi

Slingshot
24th August 2006, 11:51
I got the following reply from an enquiry on the Uniden website re their intercom options.
hank you for visiting our website and using the web request form.

We are currently developing the BH-041 bike helmet microphones that will fit out handheld PRS units that will enable communication between motorcycles. These units are not available in New Zealand, but we are expecting them in to be released in October.
Kind Regards
Christina Hopovihi

That sounds promising!!

WarlockNZ
24th August 2006, 20:54
what we need is a freq that is just for bikes ... then we could all talk to each other ... don't know where i'd mount the cb unit tho ... and the massive atenna would just look ugly .. lol .. could be cool tho ... tooling up the north western and letting everyone know theres a cop on the left under an overpass ... hmmmm ...

Auntie Podes
25th August 2006, 01:04
These are fantastic bits of kit: http://www.autocom.co.uk/

I concur, these are excellent, well worth the money.

If you are considering an intercom then noise cancelling microphones are a must.

Hitcher
25th August 2006, 09:16
I get really annoyed by the material that most of these audio kit manufacturers produce.

All they show is a photo of a black box, either clear-cut or positioned somehow in a bike.

But how do you use the fucking things? The walkie talkie isn't part of it. Where does it go? A walkie talkie (unless it is VOX activated, dumb idea) needs a PTT button. What does that look like? How is it fitted? How does it connect to the black box and rider's helmet? What sort of walkie talkie do you need? What cabling is required, given that any accessory, radios included, don't have standard connectors.

To talk, you need a microphone. The microphones are on "booms" and "velcro" into your helmet. How does that work, particularly given that riders have to put helmets on and take them off. Frequently. How does the boom microphone work if there is limited room in the front of a full-face helmet? Does the boom get stuck in your mouth? Does the little foam doohickey (TM) rub irritatingly against one's nose or chin? Does it grind a furrow in one's forehead when one dons or removes one's helmet?

There are probably good answers to all of these questions, but they are rarely provided by the manufacturers of these magic boxes or by the people who review them. Rant over.

Ruralman
25th August 2006, 10:35
I get really annoyed by the material that most of these audio kit manufacturers produce.

All they show is a photo of a black box, either clear-cut or positioned somehow in a bike.

But how do you use the fucking things? The walkie talkie isn't part of it. Where does it go? A walkie talkie (unless it is VOX activated, dumb idea) needs a PTT button. What does that look like? How is it fitted? How does it connect to the black box and rider's helmet? What sort of walkie talkie do you need? What cabling is required, given that any accessory, radios included, don't have standard connectors.

To talk, you need a microphone. The microphones are on "booms" and "velcro" into your helmet. How does that work, particularly given that riders have to put helmets on and take them off. Frequently. How does the boom microphone work if there is limited room in the front of a full-face helmet? Does the boom get stuck in your mouth? Does the little foam doohickey (TM) rub irritatingly against one's nose or chin? Does it grind a furrow in one's forehead when one dons or removes one's helmet?

There are probably good answers to all of these questions, but they are rarely provided by the manufacturers of these magic boxes or by the people who review them. Rant over.

Bloody well said Hitcher - I'm interested in these things and also various radar detectors which includes the battery powered Bel 946 - you can get reviews saying they work OK, you can get pictures showing all the parts including earpiece, a deflector so youcan put the unit in your pocket etc etc but no pictures or diagrams showing how these things fit on/in your helmet - ie how it bloody works in practise. I put a post under the product review section hoping someone who had used one of these could comment but no one has yet.
With the number of bikers using this site the webmaster should be able to charge manufacturers for someone to do reviews and post them here.

mazz1972
25th August 2006, 15:37
Well ranted Hitcher....I too find it a tad frustrating at the total lack of information about these gadgets.

Hubby & I would something but not wanting to spend a fortune. But don't want to spend anything only to find it doesn't quite work in a practical way.

cowboyz
25th August 2006, 17:40
top marks Hitcher.

It seems that since I thought about this intercom idea people are saying "tell me everything you *don't* know about it and I will fill in the blanks"

I dont know what PTT means. I don't know what is required to get a walkie talkie radio setup. i thought I would just be able to shell out the dollars and get a kit that I plug in and it works. Then I find out that the radio is different to the headset and I am just more and more confused. So much so that it prompts me to revert back to the old age wave and pull over if you have something to say.

Hitcher
25th August 2006, 18:33
I dont know what PTT means.

Sorry for lapsing to jargon. PTT = push to talk. The button that needs to attach in proximity to a handgrip, preferably the left-hand one. Mounting can be problematic, given that handgrips are usually festooned with a myriad of switches for headlight flashers, horn, indicators, screen height... And you don't want anything inhibiting the smooth and seamless operation of the clutch lever.

Just show me a photo of a black box with green buttons and writing on it.

Ruralman
25th August 2006, 22:18
Hopefully Uniden have some bikers involved in the development of their system so that it does work for us without the hassles you have highlighted

shafty
25th August 2006, 23:00
Good on ya Hitcher! lol, BTW (by the way) VOX = Voice Operated Transmission, in other words, when you start speaking, the microphone switches on, but as Hitcher alluded, wind noise means this is generally impractical on a moving sickle............. Good Thread!

re5rotary
27th August 2006, 21:36
Hi yep thats why I asked the question on this site. None of the info on the manufacturers sites is clear especially the Pinfolds one and I dont want to pay the money to find out the system doesnt work. I dont like the idea of velcroed in speakers I thought something like an earplug type would be better. Looks like another season will go by without an intercom unless I can get a recommendation from someone that uses one or the manufacturers get their act together. Terry

Hitcher
28th August 2006, 13:26
Pinfolds' velcroed helmet speakers are the best part of their kit. They're unobstrusive and work very well -- even with earplugs in. If there is room between one's mouth and the front of a fullface helmet, then their microphones work well too. If there is any opportunity for friction -- either taking a helmet on or off, or wind buffett from one's lips or moustache, then the little foam fernanguling cover on the microphone doesn't last too long.

Pinfolds' PTT system is a bit of a handful (literally) -- it has to be wrapped around the LH handgrip. This means the button itself has to sit underneath so it doesn't get crushed by the clutch, meaning you have to use your third or fourth finger to operate it. If there is any clear space on the switch clamp, cut off the velcro tape and stick it in place with velcro dots. It works much better that way (until the contacts in the switch fail, or the connector plugs die, whichever comes first).

Finn
28th August 2006, 13:30
A friend of mine runs Uniden so if you want any of their products, let me know.

Dover and I discussed getting bike to bike communication but I couldn't find a unit that would transmit around 10 k's which is the average distance he lags behind. Thinking satellite might be the go but they don't work in bushes.

Suzi Q
1st September 2006, 19:42
We have a Baehr system - got it from Challenger Motors in Auckland. Quite expensive. Does bike to bike plus pillion to rider. No wind noise at any speed that we have tried. There is a website - http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/Web-Pages/baehr.htm
The speakers and microphone are mounted in the helmet and then there is a PTT button to mount on the handlebars. The pillion to rider is voice activated. :yes:

shafty
3rd September 2006, 03:55
Suzi Q, would you recommend your system? - for example, would you buy it again? Cheers:bye:

Hitcher
3rd September 2006, 22:28
We have a Baehr system - got it from Challenger Motors in Auckland. Quite expensive. Does bike to bike plus pillion to rider. No wind noise at any speed that we have tried. There is a website - http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/Web-Pages/baehr.htm
The speakers and microphone are mounted in the helmet and then there is a PTT button to mount on the handlebars. The pillion to rider is voice activated.
Does it come with radios? If so, what sort and where do they go? There must be wind noise -- wind plus microphone = noise.

Lou Girardin
4th September 2006, 11:43
I understand that Baehr is now used by our bike cops. Tested at 200 k's and still clear as a bell. The microphones they use are some whizzbang digital type that aren't affected by wind noise.
That's what you pay the extra for, gear that works.

emaN
4th September 2006, 11:49
Autocom
all the way. don't bother doing it cheap.

we've used our system for our USA hog ride (open face - sweet as) and for all touring since; England/Scotland/Ireland/Scandinavia/Europe and it's been incredible!
taken our bash-hats on & off thousands of times no worries.

Ours is now 4yrs old, you can get newer & gruntier versions, but we're still happy with ours.
Clarity is awesome = 240km/h on german autobahns & we could still talk.

As i said, don't bother going cheap.
Check out their site for bike to bike set ups. You can go basic or full on.

crusa
4th September 2006, 19:04
Was at cycletreads on saturday and they had 2 helmets fitted with nolans ncom system using blue tooth and/or cables,does the mp3,cellphone bit.I was told they were very good at speed and its a nice package.You buy there helmets(flip up type) which has mic and headphone unit fitted then you buy the bluetooth unit.Might be worth a look if you need or want a new helmet?from memory about $1400 all up for 2 helmets and the ncom system.

Hitcher
4th September 2006, 19:34
Check out their site for bike to bike set ups. You can go basic or full on.

And that web address would be?

emaN
5th September 2006, 10:39
http://www.autocom.co.uk/

I'm guessing you're too busy out riding to google 'em!:rolleyes:
(p/t)

Hitcher
5th September 2006, 12:55
http://www.autocom.co.uk/

And we're right back to where we started. A photo of a fucking clear-cut black box with writing on it! I don't know where to buy one, how much it costs, what it does, where to fit it, what else I need to make it go (like radios, for example), what goes in my helmet or will it fit, if I can install it myself, etc. All I know is that these things allegedly work really well and are worth the price. Lovely.

SPman
5th September 2006, 13:11
There are at least five other RE5 owners who haven't yet joined up. :yes:
There are that many still running? :gob:

emaN
5th September 2006, 14:02
Hitcher,
I've found the site pretty useful in the past.
Pretty sure there's PDF's with suggestions of set-ups (based on your requirements) and suggested radios too.
Installation-straight forward.Our HJCs took it in their stride.Two speakers per bash-hat, one boom, easy peasy.
Where to put it-tank bag, under seat, backpack... Ours came with necessary cable to hook it up to the battery;but i've never bothered.
Cost-depends on set-up;think they start around 100quid

I've just been checking their site; there's PDFs with loads of info. A Kit200 for just the rider is 154quid. The same kit with pillion materials is 199quid. Add the cost of a radio to this, to enable bike-to-bike.

Hope this helps...a bit

WRT
6th September 2006, 14:35
Almost tempted to start a new thread for this as I ramble on a bit explaining my logic, but figured best to keep all the info in one place. Appologies in advance for such a long winded post.

Ok, I've been keeping an eye out for a decent intercom system (primarily rider to pillion, or with the option to go bike to bike) for a while now. I have been using a cheap rider to pillion set from SportsBikesNZ, but it doesnt handle the abuse too well, and you must have your visor closed at anything over 10 kph in order to save your pillion going deaf from the wind noise. While initially it was clear and easy to use, it now cuts in and out (mostly due to damage being done to the cables by us getting off and on the bike) and there is often "noise" induced by the engine.

So while looking around, I've come up with a list for my ideal system for a perfect world. The unit should be:

- able to be used when the visor is up, with clear speech at all speeds (within reason)
- unintrusive to the wearer (not uncomfortable inside the helmet, or cause difficulty with putting on/removing the helmet, or leave lines on your cheek from the wires or mic boom)
- easy to operate whilst wearing all your gear (so preferably VOX rather than PTT)
- ideally either wireless, or with a "breaker" in the line so that if the cables get snagged or tugged it doesnt damage the unit
- capable of running off the bikes system or uses rechargeable batteries
- preferably in stereo and able to take a music input, and possibly cell phone (although, this is not overly important, it just could come in handy on longer trips)

Now my first thought was that there must be some sort of bluetooth unit out there so that you can mount the mic and speakers in your helmet permanently. If there is, I havent found it yet.

Next up I came across throat mics. These look very promising, they are not susceptible to external noise (so should work well on a VOX system), you dont need to have your visor closed, and some of them come with the accoustic ear tube rather than the conventional ear bud. There are some quite stylie ones from a crowd called Cool Talk at around 25 quid each, but they seem to only do the ear bud style (which wouldnt be as comfortable) and in mono only. However, with a VOX radio attached (preferably something like the rechargable Uniden models, so that both rider and pillion have a throat mike attached to a radio they keep in their pocket), this will cover most bases except using them with cell phones and iPods. That I'm not so worried about, as you could still use it with your iPod or (compatible) cell phone on solo runs which is when that feature would be most beneficial. And the other added advantage is that it would work just as well for bike to bike.

I know using walkie talkie style radios to communicate rider to pillion is a bit excessive, but there are some bonuses. For example, you dont need to detach every time you get off or on the bike, and you can maintain communication when off the bike. Say your in the queue to pay for your gas, you can ask your passenger if they would like a drink etc while you're there. Another benefit of this is it can be used bike to bike (for example, the same set you use to talk to the missus while touring can be used to yak to your mate while trail riding), and even be used for talking to your pit crew during track days, snowboarding, kayaking, or any other outdoor pursuits.

Potential pitfalls of this type of system (not having used a throat mike myself) are that they may have a tendancy to move about at speed, however the Cool Talk site reckon they have tested it up to 120mph - which is good enough for most applications I would have thought. Also curious how they will stand up to the vibrations from a 2 stroke MX bike, how comfortable they are to wear, and whether the collar of your jacket would interfere with it. Has anyone used them before and are you able to comment?

While the Cool Talk system does look fairly good (see http://www.cool-talk.co.uk/products.php), I would have liked to see a unit that was just as slim (a lot of the throat mike units are big and clunky, looking like something out of an '80s sci fi movie) and with stereo tubes rather than an ear bud. Partly because if using it with an iPod it will sound better, and also because I'm a bit hard of hearing so having the speech in both ears would be better for me.

I did see something like that a little while ago on ebay, havent been able to find it again however. It was PTT, where I would rather a VOX system, but I'm sure there would be ways around that. There are a lot of manufacturers coming out with the throat mics these days, aimed at a wide variety of applications, from security to hangliding, paint ball to mountain biking. Has anyone seen one that would have ear tubes in stereo, and a slim design? Bear in mind that the less wind resistance the better, not to mention that you dont want to have your collar catching on it all the time.

Another manufacturer that does a range of them is ixradio (http://www.ixradio.com/throat_mic.htm), so there must be someone out there with that elusive combo of throat mic/VOX operated/stereo ear tube. Anyone know someone that does them? And is there any chance that a NZ company is stocking them so I can go in and try them?

Any (sensible) feed back on my logic is appreciated.

Hitcher
6th September 2006, 14:50
I don't like the idea of VOX. I don't like the idea of having to say "Boo" at the start of each transmission. And it's also not a good look for those of us who suffer from Tourettes or who like to sing while we ride. Also in the big cities, it's hard to find a frequency that cycle couriers or delivery drivers don't use. They can get a bit tetchy when strangers arrive on "their" channel...

Lou Girardin
6th September 2006, 15:03
And we're right back to where we started. A photo of a fucking clear-cut black box with writing on it! I don't know where to buy one, how much it costs, what it does, where to fit it, what else I need to make it go (like radios, for example), what goes in my helmet or will it fit, if I can install it myself, etc. All I know is that these things allegedly work really well and are worth the price. Lovely.

Why not buy locally then you can call Tony at Beahr and get answers straight away, and know they work.
After all, NZ Police can't be wrong.

WRT
6th September 2006, 15:10
Hadnt thought about the couriers using the channel, but as I'd be using it away from the city most of the time I cant see it being a problem. As I fortunately dont suffer tourettes, having every word I say beemed to my partner isnt a problem (I just need to think up a quick excuse as to why I said "Damn" just as we drove past the hottie with the perkie boobies in the convertable).

Pinfolds' PTT system is a bit of a handful (literally) -- it has to be wrapped around the LH handgrip. This means the button itself has to sit underneath so it doesn't get crushed by the clutch, meaning you have to use your third or fourth finger to operate it. If there is any clear space on the switch clamp, cut off the velcro tape and stick it in place with velcro dots. It works much better that way (until the contacts in the switch fail, or the connector plugs die, whichever comes first).

Going the vox route seems to me a lot better than trying to recreate your efforts here with the PTT system! Not having a dig, but it does seem like a lot of trouble and to be honest I like the idea of just having free flowing conversation. I dont have any problem with watching what I say over a cuppa coffee, so to my way of thinking its not any different just because my head is inside a helmet.

Edit: Just looking back at your previous post Hitcher - does VOX require you to say a keyword or something to kick it into life? I was under the impression that you just started talking, but I have not used a VOX system yet myself.

Hitcher
6th September 2006, 15:52
My experience with VOX systems involves various makes and models of dictation machines, all of which seem to miss the first couple of words of each utterance.

Lou Girardin
6th September 2006, 17:22
My experience with VOX systems involves various makes and models of dictation machines, all of which seem to miss the first couple of words of each utterance.

The Harley system is only too efficient. Not only did it trigger at high (ish) revs, but my wife caught every syllable of every curse directed at dimwit cagers.

WRT
7th September 2006, 09:47
Ok, so VOX systems aside for now, has anyone had any experience with throat mics? In particular for use with motorcycles, but even if you have used them elsewhere, how did you find them? Are they comfortable, clear, etc?

Lou Girardin
7th September 2006, 10:12
You need a bone mic, it's sits on top of your head and picks up vibartions from speech. Absolutely no extraneous noise. They're military spec, only $900 or so.

Hitcher
7th September 2006, 10:36
Sounds like you want one of those gadgets the SIS uses to monitor people's thoughts. Apparently it works in conjunction with commercial radio broadcasts.

WRT
8th September 2006, 08:21
You need a bone mic, it's sits on top of your head and picks up vibartions from speech. Absolutely no extraneous noise. They're military spec, only $900 or so.

Ah-ha! I always thought you sounded a little bone headed! And Hitcher, is it time for you to start wearing one of those German WWII helmets? The metal might help prevent "them" from hearing your thoughts.

Meanwhile, at the risk of bringing this thread remotely back to it's topic, has anyone other than these two jesters got any input?

Lou Girardin
8th September 2006, 08:29
I told my wife I had a bone mic.
She didn't fall for it either.

Slingshot
8th September 2006, 09:05
My $0.02:

The Pinfolds intercom units are crap although the speaker set up inside the helmet works well!
I'm not going to go into my list of complaints about the unit itself...just take my advice and don't buy one.

Throat mics: JayCar sell one for their range of walkie talkies. Work pretty well and are quite small. The really need to have a material cover over them though, neck sock would work nicely.

WRT
11th September 2006, 11:23
Throat mics: JayCar sell one for their range of walkie talkies. Work pretty well and are quite small. The really need to have a material cover over them though, neck sock would work nicely.

Had a look on their website, two drawbacks to it, one is that it's a single pickup, and the other that its still an earbud system. At $19 tho, I might buy one just to see how well it works on a bike.

Jacar Link. (http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=DC1013&CATID=47&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=763)

NighthawkNZ
13th October 2006, 15:30
We use to use standard CB when first started Eagle Express MC Couriers a few years a go (err about 10 years???). We had it dual with the Mic and speaker setup so it could be used whether your helmet was on or off. Standard mic & speaker for when helmet is off just grab the mic and blabble...

Push to talk buttons on the hand grips and and mic and speakers mounted in the helmet for when riding... with a 5pin connector plug to the unit...

We did find that though bike to bike was possible the range was limited, and talking when you were at higher speeds became a little gabbled... but helmet technology has come a long way since then andare a lot quieter.

I just had the CB in a tank bag and the external speaker in the fairing... also had to have a 9 foot wip ariel mounted too...

WRT
13th October 2006, 15:39
I just ordered the Fire Fox Road Warrior system, will hopefully be trying it out over the weekend. Will post up how I get on. If all goes well, I'll be grabbing a couple of walkie talkies to try bike to bike as well.

JKWNZ
25th October 2006, 09:01
Has anybody heard anything more about the uniden system that supposed to be coming out this month?

terbang
25th October 2006, 16:39
Pinfold is selling his earlier units on tardme for $20 (Helmet speakers, microphone & PTT button, no radio) . Got a couple of them and used them with a couple of UHF radios from Jaycar. For speeds below 120 KPh they are fine for a couple of bikes riding in company and the good thing, placating the scotsman in me, is you can set each rider up for around $65 (kiwi). They mount up real nice in Shoei helmets.

Hitcher
25th October 2006, 20:40
$20 is probably what those Pinfolds units are worth. They are disturbingly unreliable but work well when they go. If somebody copied the basic principles, but with bigger more robust plugs and a more reliable PTT switch, they'd be onto a winner.

All I need is a volunteer geek with a soldering iron and a Dick Smith catalogue and we'd be in business!

topher
29th October 2006, 19:06
Why not buy locally then you can call Tony at Beahr and get answers straight away, and know they work.
After all, NZ Police can't be wrong.

I ride occasionally with a bunch of guys, including Tony, on three-day rides organised by Julian at Top Town Tyres in Hamiltron(City of the Futre). Most of them have Tony's Beahr system and the only time I've seen any problem was after two days of continual pissing rain on a Northland ride. Was water in a connector so not really a system problem. Tony is happy to help with instals and can cop with any real or imagined problem. He's a nice bloke. Ring him and talk!

The real problem with lots of guys in the same bunch of riders having Bike to Bike comms is the incessant bullshit! It's bad enough listening to Jules crapping on at the stops without having the scenery spoiled by non-stop verbage.

sinned
30th October 2006, 12:28
I saw a set of 2 radios at Dick Smith. GME TX650 for $178. They have ear bud with mic in the lead and VOX. Power is low at 1 watt but for bike to bike over short range that should be fine. The key issue is; will the mic and VOX work okay? If not they would be useless. The price is good and $152 at triginstruments (nz).
Has any one tested these units?

Zukin
30th October 2006, 13:48
Has anybody heard anything more about the uniden system that supposed to be coming out this month?

Hi

They are currently taking orders for them but they dont have any in stock:mellow:
They will retail for $79ea and as far as I know they are just the earpiece and mic, and does not include the radio
They also have the PTT (push to talk button) that you can mount on your handle bars

Hitcher
30th October 2006, 15:03
They are currently taking orders for them but they dont have any in stock

Interesting. Who, or what, is "they"?

slimjim
30th October 2006, 16:46
Fuck thought real biker's don't need to chatter like woman,and if you do go in a cage haha

topher
30th October 2006, 18:32
Fuck thought real biker's don't need to chatter like woman,and if you do go in a cage haha

You'd think so wouldn't you. Seriously though, the Beahr system's in wide use. If you want to talk to someone using it, and who's installed it on quite a few bikes, call Julian at Top Town 0800 422 433. Or call Tony at Challenger Motors! Hell, that's what he's there for!

Also, Ian of http://www.motorcycle-rentals-tours.co.nz/ uses the Baehr system on his own and his rental bikes. All of these guys use and know how to successfully install a system. Jules might have the odd grumpy day (don't we all) but they're all very approachable guys who love to talk bikes.

Hitcher
31st October 2006, 07:56
You'd think so wouldn't you. Seriously though, the Beahr system's in wide use. If you want to talk to someone using it, and who's installed it on quite a few bikes, call Julian at Top Town 0800 422 433. Or call Tony at Challenger Motors! Hell, that's what he's there for!

A ride to Auckland is a major undertaking to get a system installed that may or may not work in one's helmet.

JKWNZ
31st October 2006, 08:22
Hi

They are currently taking orders for them but they dont have any in stock:mellow:
They will retail for $79ea and as far as I know they are just the earpiece and mic, and does not include the radio
They also have the PTT (push to talk button) that you can mount on your handle bars

Thanks. Am definitely interested as the price is right but would be good if they had a spec sheet... Do you have the contact details for pre-orders?

sinned
31st October 2006, 08:33
Thanks. Am definitely interested as the price is right but would be good if they had a spec sheet... Do you have the contact details for pre-orders?
I have searched the web and found nothing mentioned about the product. If they were going to be available this month or in the next 3 I would expect to be able to read about it on the company site(s). How does this company communicate with its dealers if it doesn't post stuff to its sites. Or maybe I haven't done a good enough search? Don't believe until I read.

topher
31st October 2006, 08:49
Phone Tony and ask to be put in touch with someone using the system in Welly. I'm sure Challenger's got a freephone. Let your fingers do the walking.

Hitcher
31st October 2006, 10:58
Phone Tony and ask to be put in touch with someone using the system in Welly. I'm sure Challenger's got a freephone. Let your fingers do the walking.

The install would still have to be done in Auckland -- unless I can scan and email a couple of bikes and helmets...

JKWNZ
31st October 2006, 11:21
Does Tony at Challenger know anything about the new Uniden system or just Beahr?

topher
31st October 2006, 11:36
Does Tony at Challenger know anything about the new Uniden system or just Beahr?

Phone him and ask.

topher
31st October 2006, 11:37
The install would still have to be done in Auckland -- unless I can scan and email a couple of bikes and helmets...

You fight off knowledge with a really big stick don't you.

igor
10th November 2006, 20:37
The only intercom worth buying is a Baehr system. go to his web page and read what customers have written. It is the only one that has worked for me and never had a problem. and yes u will not be disappointed if u rode from wellington. he even has some sets that he may lend u to try out as he supllies LTSA driving testers with sets to talk to bikers under going licence test. they are worth evry cent:done:

Zukin
11th November 2006, 22:24
What I need is some advice
Ok here is a picture (attached) from the Nolan N102 helmet (that I have), you can purchase a seperate intercom kit, or Bluetooth kit as an add on for them.
What I want to do is to use it for Bike to Bike comms, but all they say is rider to pillion or using a cell phone with the bluetooth (now why would I want to talk on the phone? :mellow: )

The picture attached is from the basic kit instuction manual (for the helmet)

So here is what I think I will need??

A 2.5mmm cable from the mic to a PTT (push to talk) button mounted on the handlebar, and then this plugs into my Radio (like a Uniden PRS)

also

A 3.5 mm cable from the speaker output on the above radio into the 3.5mm socket on my helmet
Does this make sense?

Do any of you radio experts think this is ok or possible?

Cheers Scott

RiderInBlack
13th November 2006, 07:50
Finally have a pillion I would not mind taking to while riding (strange but true). I want to make a direct link between our helmets to do this. Have speakers for radar detector and MP3 play I've rigged in my helmets already. They have a plug to go from the helmets to the bike and then to the Radar Detector and MP3 player (detector has separate speaker in helmet), Now what I want to know is what will I need the wire between a mics and the speakers to set-up a direct intercom between the helmets (via the plugs I've put in the bike for them). Would a small amp for each mic do the trick?

terbang
13th November 2006, 08:26
Here is a WEBSITE (http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/Web-Pages/price_list.htm) that sells this product. At that price you would really need to be a chatty sort of a person. have been trialling the Pinfold system and a couple of UHF radios from Jaycar at a fraction of the price for some time now. Have the headsets permanantly and discretely fitted into Shoei helmets with one small plug attached to the chinstrap. Despite what others say about the plug quality, I have had no problems and communication is good up to 120 KPH, rain hail or snow..

Hitcher
13th November 2006, 10:04
I have had no problems and communication is good up to 120 KPH, rain hail or snow..

I will be interested to see how long your stuff lasts. I predict that you will have a plug-related or PTT-related failure withing a month (or two, if you don't do a lot of riding). Within three you will have a headset speaker failure. The microphone foam covers will start to fail too at about the three month stage.

If your experience proves me wrong I may reinvest in Pinfolds' kit once again, so as to recoup some value from our investment in walkie talkies.

We found that the limiting factor in terms of speed-related communications was helmet wind noise -- over 100kmh the microphone was struggling to decipher voice from roar.

Squiggles
3rd December 2006, 12:41
heres a novel concept... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Other/auction-79851923.htm i dont think it'd be much good though...

cowboyz
3rd December 2006, 16:53
that would be great on seperate bikes. Especially when lane splitting.

simonnn
3rd December 2006, 23:22
Contact the guys at Cycletreads.
They will sort you out with an Autocom

Lou Girardin
4th December 2006, 05:54
We found that the limiting factor in terms of speed-related communications was helmet wind noise -- over 100kmh the microphone was struggling to decipher voice from roar.

That's what separates the ones that work (Baehr) and most of the rest.
The cops have found their Baehr units to be clear at 200 km/h.
I don't think they bothered to test Autocom.

Squiggles
4th December 2006, 07:40
Contact the guys at Cycletreads.
They will sort you out with an Autocom

i shall do that... i have a $300 budget which puts baehr way out of reach...

Shewolf
20th December 2006, 11:27
Pinfolds have a deal on for reconditioned 2W units...so have just purchased a couple of WT419's with K-series headsets for $300 all up.

Will give them a whirl on the weekend and see how they go!

enlightend1
3rd January 2007, 14:34
$20 is probably what those Pinfolds units are worth. They are disturbingly unreliable but work well when they go. If somebody copied the basic principles, but with bigger more robust plugs and a more reliable PTT switch, they'd be onto a winner.

All I need is a volunteer geek with a soldering iron and a Dick Smith catalogue and we'd be in business!

Haha, well you may have found one, me and a mate of mine have been thinking about something like this for a while now, going to put some serious thought into it when I get back down to Uni in Chch at the start of February.

Hitcher
3rd January 2007, 20:47
Brilliant! Mrs H and I would be more than happy to road-test any prototype units you develop.

re5rotary
5th January 2007, 19:09
Hi if Terbang is still about can he/she advise if the Pinfold system is still working or did it fall to bits as predicted by others? regards terry

Zukin
17th January 2007, 00:11
Hi there

We are about to test out the new Uniden bike helmet mic and speaker setup (with remote PTT button)
I will let you know how it goes:yes:

Hitcher
17th January 2007, 07:36
I await your assessment with interest. Is Dick Smith selling these?

heyjoe
22nd January 2007, 22:14
I am also interested in how it goes.
Look forward to it.

Blairos
23rd January 2007, 14:46
Hi if Terbang is still about can he/she advise if the Pinfold system is still working or did it fall to bits as predicted by others? regards terry

I got mine with Terbang's order - still works fine!

Winston001
3rd March 2008, 02:13
Just stumbled across this thread so time for an update from you guys who have recently purchased. How's it going??

The one thing I thought would be essential is to not be tethered to the bike. No wires/cables connected between rider and bike.

I assume this can be done? Bluetooth is all the rage in technology but simple walkie-talkie should work too.

Anyway, I'd like to get a system - what's the latest please?

Cheers
Winston

Radar
3rd March 2008, 08:07
Just stumbled across this thread so time for an update from you guys who have recently purchased. How's it going??

The one thing I thought would be essential is to not be tethered to the bike. No wires/cables connected between rider and bike.

I assume this can be done? Bluetooth is all the rage in technology but simple walkie-talkie should work too.

Cheers
Winston

Hi Winston (glad to see you on KB as well as PF1 !).

You posted at 3 AM ??!!! LOL

Anyway, have a look at what Mike Pinfold says about Bluetooth, which he is going to stock as soon as the supplier makes it robust enough for MC use:
http://www.amalgamate2000.com/sales/motor_talkie__bluetooth_headset.htm

BTW, I knew Mike Pinfold years ago when I lived in Rotorua. A nice guy and very clever with electronics and has a great sense of humour. I have two mostly unused Uniden walkie talkies so I am now checking to see what its going to cost to get headset attachments from Mike.

Hitcher
3rd March 2008, 08:11
A Big Ups is due to Blueant's service helpline.

I couriered off our dodgy component and its base unit in case there was some fault with that (not that I thought that's where the problem lay), and Blueant replaced the whole thing with a brand-spanking new Interphone!

No complaints there whatsoever. Well done Blueant!

Here's hoping that those are the last problems we'll encounter.

Winston001
4th March 2008, 13:02
Seems odd this thread is so inactive. 10,000 members here, 500 active at any one time, age of high technology yadda yadda - I'd have thought bike intercom systems were well-sorted by now.

Yet after reading the whole thread which covers 2 years, I'm still not clear on the latest and greatest.

WRT
4th March 2008, 13:14
I've got a pair of Blueant Interphones, and find them great. Bit hard to hear at >100kph, but that's mostly due to a noisy bike and wind noise around the helmet - I think a Windjammer would solve the issue, but I doubt you'd even notice it on a "proper" tourer (I'm on an RSVR).

Only other gripe is that the boom mic tends to make my visor fog up on cold days. Apart from that, I've had no probs with the units, they work well with my phone and with each other, plus they're comfy and easy to fit to your helmet. The buttons are big and easy to find, and the range at which the units will communicate seems quite good.

Thumbs up from me.

fergie
6th March 2008, 10:51
good thread, raises some interesting solutions, i have 2 nolan n102 helmets fitted with the nolan pillian to pillian system.
After lots of probs getting them to work properley, contacts etc. they worked fine for 6 months or so but now they are playing up again. the contacts are poor and seem to be the reason for not working , i have cleaned and proded them but they are still inconsistent. would be interseted to hear of any nolan ncom owners with similar problems.

jim.cox
6th March 2008, 10:56
Hi there

We are about to test out the new Uniden bike helmet mic and speaker setup (with remote PTT button)
I will let you know how it goes:yes:

Sounds interesting.

Can you give us some more details.

Where do you find them?

Zukin
6th March 2008, 11:03
We were got them for our ride around NZ last year

However

One of them was faulty so never really got to test them
They were ok at low speeds but anything over 80km they were hard to hear

Do you have the radios?
if you do then I could send the headsets for you to test for yourselves :yes:

jim.cox
6th March 2008, 11:07
We were got them for our ride around NZ last year

However

One of them was faulty so never really got to test them
They were ok at low speeds but anything over 80km they were hard to hear

Do you have the radios?
if you do then I could send the headsets for you to test for yourselves :yes:

That's a kind offer

But first I'd like to do some research

Do you know the model or part numbers?

I do have a pair of UH64's with vox headesets I use for keeping up with my kids on the skifields

Thankx

igor
6th March 2008, 12:09
www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz

geez whadda we have to do to get the message thru. the Baehr are the best. They work. No one has sent one back that I have heard of. Tony is a 100% helpful trust worthy guy whom is also a 100% motorcyclist. Do ya buy ya bike from Dick Smiths. Yes they are a little more expensive but if u want something that works pay for it. If you can afford to throw $300 away on rubbish do it. And Mr Autocom. Yes they are good but Baehr are better.

Also Tony will give u advice should you have any problems like fitting etc

Qkchk
6th March 2008, 12:25

Cheers
Winston

Have a look at my BLUEANT INTERPHONE (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1406773&postcount=50) review

Finn
6th March 2008, 12:35
How long is the wire between bike to bike intercoms?

Swoop
6th March 2008, 13:01
www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz www.challengermotors.co.nz

Also Tony will give u advice should you have any problems like fitting etc
Damn right! Tony is a top bloke.

Good products and good service. What more can you want?

jim.cox
6th March 2008, 13:04

About as long as a peice of string

JAS-1100
10th March 2008, 20:04
found a cheap way to have a wireless radio/intercom you can buy a portable FM radio digital about 30 - 50 dallors and with the mic side you can buy a FM microphone transmitter about a size of a match box both can be built into the helmet both rider and pillon have the mic you tune the mic to the radio station so you can talk while you are listening to music and if you want to listen to a ipod or mp3 player you can buy a FM tranmitter but with this you can plug any audio device into it very cheap

RentaTriumph
10th March 2008, 21:27
Have a look at my BLUEANT INTERPHONE (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1406773&postcount=50) review

Can you play MP3 music through the Interphone system?.

Badger8
10th March 2008, 21:35

They use one of those curly ones like on the phone, stops it from collecting so many animals and small children from off the roadside

Finn
10th March 2008, 21:39
They use one of those curly ones like on the phone, stops it from collecting so many animals and small children from off the roadside

But they always get tangled. No thanks, not for me.

Hitcher
11th March 2008, 17:22
Can you play MP3 music through the Interphone system?.

No. Why would you want to? Buy a Goldwing or a car.

JAS-1100
11th March 2008, 18:12
The system i was taking about is competely wireless system no cables at all from listening to ipod to a mp3 player

RentaTriumph
11th March 2008, 19:45
No. Why would you want to? Buy a Goldwing or a car.

Maybe I would prefer to listen to music instead of being hooked up to a telephone.

denill
3rd April 2008, 07:24
good thread, raises some interesting solutions, i have 2 nolan n102 helmets fitted with the nolan pillian to pillian system.
After lots of probs getting them to work properley, contacts etc. they worked fine for 6 months or so but now they are playing up again. the contacts are poor and seem to be the reason for not working , i have cleaned and proded them but they are still inconsistent. would be interseted to hear of any nolan ncom owners with similar problems.

Bluetooth or cable?

We are using the Nolan NCom with cable and so far VERY good. :yes::yes:

No wind noise whatsoever on the ST1100 but a bit on the BMW 1200GS that we hired in Aus last month.

fergie
8th April 2008, 14:33
we are using cable, guess im a victim of murphys law, when they work they are great but just seem inconsistant.would love to be able to sort them out.

BiK3RChiK
8th April 2008, 19:54
Screw that! I like the solitary nature of biking. I would hate to hear yabbering in my ear as I'm concentrating on something! If I want to say something to my fellow biking companion, I pull over!

jiashahood
4th February 2010, 05:22
hey
why dont you try scalarider. I bought it at supercheap auto. It is basically a bluetooth connected to helmet. It is the bottom of the range one but it is excellent. it does the business, even in heavy traffic and at high speeds. I recommend it.

mazz1972
5th February 2010, 09:32
hey
why dont you try scalarider. I bought it at supercheap auto. It is basically a bluetooth connected to helmet. It is the bottom of the range one but it is excellent. it does the business, even in heavy traffic and at high speeds. I recommend it.

Scalarider is basically for mobile phones etc, not for 2-way comms between bikes?

mazz1972
5th February 2010, 10:17
Five of us bought the Pinfold headsets January last year.

On the negative side, two of the PTT buttons failed within a few months and were replaced free. We have since replaced one other and will probably need to replace another one soon too. But at $15 per replacement PTT it's a pretty cheap fix!

Recently my helmet seems to have only one speaker working. I haven't bothered to investigate yet as I can still hear everything ok. Will be washing my helmet shortly so will remove the speakers and mic and have a lookie then. One of the other riders now has a problem but I haven't asked what.

Anything with cables is going to fail somewhere eventually.

On the plus side, they were very cheap at $50 for the headset/PTT and it if you already have 2-way radios compatible with the headsets, then it's a bloody cheap way to have bike to bike comms. We have all been quite happy with them till now, and probably just need a few replacement components. Mike is very helpful and has great customer service so I'm sure this wont be a problem.

As for how good they are at high speeds, that definately depends on your bike/helmet. When we first got them we all had bikes with no screens and anything over about 70-80kmph was pretty much unaudible. Now all five of us have bikes with screens, therefore cutting down on the wind hitting our helmets, and can now all communicate easily at 100kmph.

Ideally a bluetooth system would be tidier without all the cables etc, but what is the range like? Our 2-way radios work up to a few kms away.....I bet most of the bluetooth ones don't which would be a big negative for us. Talked to some people a few months back who had a bluetooth system and they said it was very hit and miss - dunno what it was.

Has anyone tried the Oxford Bike2Bike system? Do you need to use their transceiver or can you use with other 2-way radios?. It's no longer on the Oxford UK website, so maybe they are discontinued?

If someone has a suggestion for something better than the Pinfold system that wouldn't bleed us dry, please post away!

I know the Baehr system is rated as the best, but is one hell of an investment and out of our budget.

Hawkeye
6th February 2010, 10:56
CNELL on TM is advertising a Bluetooth headset for $250 for 2 units. Don't know what make they are or if they are any good but at $250 for a pair rather than the $300+ per unit for the Blueant It is certainly worth looking at.

If anyone has tried this model and can give feedback that would be great.

mazz1972
9th February 2010, 10:00
CNELL on TM is advertising a Bluetooth headset for $250 for 2 units. Don't know what make they are or if they are any good but at $250 for a pair rather than the $300+ per unit for the Blueant It is certainly worth looking at.

If anyone has tried this model and can give feedback that would be great.

Range only 100m....pah

wingrider
9th February 2010, 21:54
http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

best that money can buy. you have both a CB and intercom system all in one. Have one on the wing. Check out the range of headsets as well.
Most riders of tourers and cruisers that have cb are all on the 27mhtz frequency . This is standard for everywhere in the world except NZ. NZ cb is 26mhtz. Channel 1 is used here by all clubs. Range can be over several Kms line of site.

Big Dog
9th February 2010, 23:34

best that money can buy. you have both a CB and intercom system all in one. Have one on the wing. Check out the range of headsets as well.
Most riders of tourers and cruisers that have cb are all on the 27mhtz frequency . This is standard for everywhere in the world except NZ. NZ cb is 26mhtz. Channel 1 is used here by all clubs. Range can be over several Kms line of site.

This might seem a little obvious but where in new zealand can I find several kms line of sight?

jiashahood
13th February 2010, 09:50
thanks for so good responce to all of you
I want to have one now, but I need 1 more favor from you people, I heard Scala Rider G4 is out here in about a month or so-Has anyone seen or used it?? May be it will have some more range??

predator
8th March 2010, 18:03
hello
I have experienced blueant F4 and scala G4. actually me and my friend both were interested in buying bike-bike communication devices. I went for scala, while my friend for blueant.

And I am happy with my decision, because the voice quality of interphone f4 at high speed sucks. the quality of their conversation above 60 km is not good. and when he went to return the product, blueant were a nightmare to deal with. I would not recommend it to any one.
while G4 is really a nice brand. You can go for it.

mazz1972
19th March 2010, 10:25

Very nice looking system!! We have stuck with the cable system but the PTT buttons keep failing.

Re the frequencies, I gather they are not compatible with the 2-way hand held type 40 channel radios you can buy here?

wingrider
20th March 2010, 09:29
Very nice looking system!! We have stuck with the cable system but the PTT buttons keep failing.

Re the frequencies, I gather they are not compatible with the 2-way hand held type 40 channel radios you can buy here?

Sorry for the delay in replying.
System is on 27mhz. PRS in NZ is UHF so not compatible. PRS is widly used in NZ for kids walkie talkies, roading gangs and other undesirables.

Intercom is always on, no PTT. Sensitivity is dial controlled. Turn dial untill noise is heard then back off untill noise dissapears. Volume control is for both intercom and CB. CB PTT is the hocked switch at bottom of radio.

Sierra Electronics have a number plate mounted antenna that is superb for this unit.

Unit has plug-in adaptor for Ipod - MP3 player as standard. If listening as soon as you speak, Ipod is muted.

Headsets and helmets control wind noise.

Hope all this helps.

CookMySock
20th March 2010, 22:28
System is on 27mhz. PRS in NZ is UHF so not compatible. PRS is widly used in NZ for kids walkie talkies, roading gangs and other undesirables.Perhaps a summary of the differences between 27MHz CB and UHF CB would help?

Firstly, UHF and 26, or 27 MHz CB are not at all compatible with each other, and never could be. Pricing between the two is perhaps similar.

In use, the two systems work exactly the same. They are are just "radios".

Both systems have 40 channels, and there is stacks and stacks of free channels at any time, except perhaps on 27MHz during the daytime in the summer, where interference can be huge.

26/27 MHz

26 and 27 MHz are operationally equivalent in every respect that I can think of. During the daytime in the summer, 27MHz can have quite a lot of interference.

27MHz is not legal in NZ, and equipment is not available whatsoever, unless you import it. 26MHz equipment IS legal, and is cheaply and widely available from Dick Smith stores etc.

26/27MHz is more suitable for undulating terrain. The signal can slide around hills and hop over obstacles much better than UHF, by an order of magnitude at least.

26/27MHz can be used with a mode called SSB which sacrifices sound quality for communications effectiveness. It is a bit more complex to use, and can't really be used when moving, but will get you out of a hole occasionally.

26/27MHz antennas are much larger than UHF antennas. You can still use a small antenna, but they are not very efficient. You might still be better off using a small inefficient antenna on 26/27MHz than a big antenna on UHF if the terrain is heavy.

26/27MHz can and does bounce off the atmosphere in the summer months, leading to interesting conversations many hundreds of km away (sometimes thousands). This is not remotely reliable enough to use on a daily basis.

UHF (450 MHz)

UHF (450MHz) is a much higher frequency, and is very very readily blocked by trees and hills, and in dense foliage, signal coverage can be vastly reduced, particularly when small antennas are used.

There are some very small UHF radios that are still packed with features and have lots of transmit power.

Strong UHF signals are much "clearer" as they use the FM modulation scheme.

UHF radios are more modern, and have all sorts of technology built into them such as a facility to block unwanted transmissions by other users, even of they are transmitting on the same channel. Sometimes this technology creates more problems than it solves.

There is little or no interference on UHF CB. If there is, you simply change channel and it's gone.

UHF radios can use a mountain-top "repeater" to dramatically extend their range. Even small low-powered pocket radios with two-inch antennas can talk hundreds of kilometers away with very clear sound. Repeaters need a little bit of education to use - You have to google the location of the repeaters, find out what channel they are on, select that channel, and then press the DUP button on your radio. Remember at all times you must have a clear line of sight to the repeater mountain-top site, or you will have no coverage - even if you have clear line-of-sight to the person you are talking to. Repeaters are useful if others are on the other side of the mountain. Repeaters are not useful if all the riders are within one kilometer of each other, where they become very frustrating and technical to use. Basically, you should not be using a repeater unless you know what you are doing.

UHF radios can use a very small small antennas.

In my opinion, the most useful system is UHF 450MHz CB, because the equipment is modern, widely available, and many people already have them.

If I was outfitting a group of bikes with radios for a months' touring, I would probably use UHF, but I do think that 26MHz would quite possibly be superior.

Steve

jiashahood
14th May 2010, 13:45
max1972.
all current scalariders have intercom, mp3 and mobile phone connectivity.
i cant fault mine at all its great

Mustek
16th May 2010, 21:17
I have units for $230 which seem to be pretty good. They've had a really good review.