PDA

View Full Version : Hawkes Bay Ride

Zukin
19th August 2006, 22:11
Hawkes Bay Ride

As I laid in bed I could hear the distinct noise of wind outside!, and not the type you would not associate with eating too many baked beans! :nono:
So I as I stumbled out of the old sack it was blowing quite strong, but that that wasn't going to deter me.
So I packed up what little things I needed to take and left Napier and headed to the meeting point to catch up with any other riders that may of been keen to tag along.
I arrived at BP Bayview at 9am and had a coffee, waiting to see if any others would turn up to a novice ride, however it wasn't to be and I headed up SH5 towards Taupo myself.
It was just past Te Pohue that the wind first hit me, and in strong gusts too!
Now for those of you that know this road, and that 250's, you know what it is like.
At times I felt like I was on full power and only just making ground.

I stopped along the way to take a photo of the snow on the Kaweka's, no wonder the wind was cold :cold:, and I can really say this Dririder stuff is good.

Anyway the first stop was the Mohaka Bridge, and for those of you that have ridden/driven over it you may not of been aware that there is a walkway that goes right underneath it!
Unfortunately it was closed today, but still worth a look.
If you are going over the Napier Taupo highway I would suggest you stop here for a look, and it is safer to stop when traveling from Napier to Taupo, the other way is a little risky, with no parking.

Then it was off to Waipunga road, and the gravel to see how the new MT21's stood up in the gravel?? :innocent:
This road follows the Mohaka river for a while and recent logging operations in the area meant the road was freshly graded within the last 2 or 3 days, which meant the ground was really soft in places and very loose.
I had to ride very slowly through these sections, as the bike was very skittery.
Although I think I could of lowered the tyre pressures a bit as I was running 25psi.

Then I went past logging operation and onto a much better gravel road where I could ride a little faster.
A few detours down to the river down varying grades of tracks, then as I approached one corner I saw out of the corner of my eye something moving, next thing there was 7 or 8 horses running alongside my bike.
I slowed down until I came to a stop as I didnt want to hit one these whilst out on my own.

Then I continued into Pohokura road, and into Kiwi Country, and believe me if you are riding or driving through here at night the chances of catching a glimpse of a kiwi are pretty high.

Pohokura is a magic gravel road, that twist and turns, is one lane in many places, but gives amazing panoramic views of Hawkes Bay. :Punk:
The bike felt much more comfortable on this surface as there was very little metal in places.
I used this road to test different lines and techniques that I felt comfortable with, and the limitations of the bike.
Recent rain over the past few weeks had created some pretty big washouts and ruts that could easily catch out a wary rider.

The wind earlier had almost disappeared to a breeze, and as I made the main road to Wairoa, the sun was warm and the clouds were much less menacing.

Then it is onto Waikoau and Darkys Spur road, which is just Magic and I recommend anyone that is traveling from Wairoa to Napier to take this detour if they dont mind the gravel, it is just magic!!
Narrow and winding yet smooth, wooden bridges built into rock faces and views to kill for.
Even the odd cage manages to fall over the edge (see photo)
Then its onto the tarseal back down to SH5, and even this section is fantastic

All up I covered just under 200km but a great mornings ride.

Enjoy the photos!

1. The Kaweka Ranges from the Napier Taupo Highway
2. Under the Mohaka Bridge, see the walkway
3. The Mighty Mohaka River
4. The Horses that wanted to join in my ride
5. The Bike looking back towards the Mohaka
6. The XR

Zukin
19th August 2006, 22:19
7. Heading into Kiwi Country
8. Pohokura Road
9. Caution Kiwis Crossing
10. Oops - Cars fall off the road too!!
11. Looking back at where I had just come from
12. Reflections

SwanTiger
19th August 2006, 22:40
Awesome report, great photo's too, thanks for the read.

merv
19th August 2006, 22:47
Good one Zukin. Shame about being Norman no mates - the other guys don't know what they missed.

upshift
19th August 2006, 23:03
Good one, looks like a great ride Zukin and I would of happily joined you if I lived a bit closer. Nice weather too, unlike Wellington.
cheers,

Zukin
19th August 2006, 23:10
Here is the map shwoing where I went :yes:

Motu
19th August 2006, 23:11
Excellent - 200km and you saw stuff most riders wouldn't know was there,who'd want a road bike? I like the look of the MT21's,how did they do on seal?

Zukin
19th August 2006, 23:15
Excellent - 200km and you saw stuff most riders wouldn't know was there,who'd want a road bike? I like the look of the MT21's,how did they do on seal?

Well as I am no expert and not ever trying any similar tyres out, I think they are pretty good.
They are much better than the knobblies I had (as expected)
I couldnt drift them though?? So I guess they stick, but then again its only on a 250 :yes:

Ghost Lemur
20th August 2006, 10:25
Great write up, great pics. :niceone:

Bonez
20th August 2006, 12:16
Excellent - 200km and you saw stuff most riders wouldn't know was there,who'd want a road bike? Hush your mouth. Looks easily roadbikable.

Thanks for sharing Zukin.

SDU
20th August 2006, 13:22
Awesome Pics & report.
Look forward to reading about your trip.
Buggar you didn't get to share it with anyone. Their loss.

Aslan
20th August 2006, 21:54
Hi Zukin - thanks for posting your pics, report and map - looks a great 200k within easy reach of Napier. Hope to do the ride you did myself sometime.

Cheers Aslan :scooter:

Wolf
21st August 2006, 23:21
Cheers for the ride report and pics, Scott. Looks like a great ride.

'tis a bugger when the other buggers pike out and you have to fall back on the only person you can rely on, eh. I found resonances in your tale with my tour, except I got better weather.

When you're up this way I'll make sure I've got enough go-juice in the bike to at least accompany you to Raglan but sadly I'm saving all my moola for the Cold Kiwi so that's about as far as I can go (pity, because the scenery gets really nice out the way you plan to go after you get past Raglan.)