PDA

View Full Version : Sugilite Race Report-Actrix Series Round 4

sugilite
19th August 2006, 23:26
I had the bikes all ready to go for the Friday practice, but unfortunately our 17 year old staffie family pet suddenly deteriated to he point of needing to be put to sleep, so I stayed home and took the kids with me to the vets. It was a really sad day as she was a fantastic dog. She did well to make it to 17 as that breed usually peters out about 10 to 12 years. Rest in peace Mitzi.:bye:

RACEDAY
I got up at the horrid hour of 4:45am after only 2 hours sleep (VERY windy here and too much thinking about bikes!) Unfortunately I'd got a thigh cramp and it felt like someone was giving me a horse bite all day. I kept it quiet as if you give motorcycle racers any hint you are suffering an injury, they start acting like hungry vultures and start looking at you as prime carrion!
I grabbed my eldest son (I grow my own pit crew lol) and off we went.
It was to be the last race day for me on the 9, so I was trying to work out the best balance of trying to get points for the championship and not rolling it up into a ball and blowing the chance of getting the new bike, that was a large part of what kept me awake!
The good news was, the weather was pretty bloody good!

POST CLASSIC - 1989 Kawasaki ZXR750 H1
It was a confusing start to the day, I looked at the tyres and they were soooooo shiny, then it dawned on me they were actually brand new! Yep for the first time in about 3 years I had a new set of racing slicks on, who cares they were manufactured in 2001, they were still new and shiny dammit!
I also treated it to a new set of brake pads and chain!!!
It's still very much a road bike and I could not even be bothered taking the side stand off lol
I went in the scrub session and it felt pretty damed good :yes:

Qualifying time: 1:17.913
I qualified on pole, so pretty much business as usual there. Nothing exciting to report.

Race 1. 6 laps - Fastest lap 1:16.860
I got dicked by the big bore blasters of Sean Donnelly and Paul Brigham off the line and into the 1st corner, I managed to slip past Sean going into the left hander of the esses and set out after Pauls GSX1280 methonal fire breathing monster!
Entering lap 3 I stuffed it under him into the hairpin and....RED FLAG! Damn!!! It was a 4 lap restart and I only got dicked by Paul on the start this time, I hunted him down and managed to put in a pass going into the left hander of the esses and put my head down to try and gap him, unfortunately I took a less than inspiring line through the sweeper and came up on a back marker (yes after only 4 laps!) I figured Paul would be steaming through on the inside and thought to myself "hey it's only a race and not worth a collision" and took the outside option on the back marker and duly got stiffed by a couple of bike lengths at the line by Paul charging up the inside! During our little chat on the slip road waiting for the bikes to form up to cross back into the pits, Paul did mention he was freaking I may have taken the inside line, so yeah, I reckon I did the right thing.
Afterwards people were coming up to me and were saying he only beat me because he was riding a missile. To my way of thinking, he still rode it brilliantly, as fast as his bike is, my bike handles much better, so swings and round abouts n that. I've had people say similar things to me about the 9, and I sometimes feel like saying, "yeah my bikes so fast, I just sit in the stands and watch it ride itself around the track!" <_<
Even though I only finished 2nd, the good news was I retook the Post Classic Senior championship lead. :done:
I said right from the start when I bought the 750, I felt I could do a 1:16 and if push come to shove a 1:15, and thats the way it is working out. The bike is nearing it's potential in stock trim, I think I need to go from 135 main jets to 132 main jets to finally get the motor singing as it should.
Kawasaki say it is 205 KG's, I say it is considerably heavier!

Race 2. 12 laps - Fastest lap 1:17.619
I speculated that Paul would not be able to keep the pace for 12 laps and this was born out.
I passed him on lap 2 by stuffing it under him in the hairpin and just absolutely went for it, I was two wheel drifting coming into Higgins and the sweeper and as he had not gone past going into coke, I knew I could escape. Paul later told me he looked behind him in the hairpin to see where Sean was and when he looked back around I'd gone lol.
I kept my head down and pushed on just minus the 2 wheel drifting antics and was 7 seconds ahead at the finish line, my lap times never deviated by more than 1/2 a second for the 12 laps, nice.

I came into round four 5 points behind the leader, and left 6 points in front, so all good for the championship. I'm quite confident I can do the biz in round 5 on the Manfield long circuit and even more so at the sublime twisty Taupo, more corners eh!
A semi retired racer came up to me and said, "hey Anthony, I have a fully worked H1 motor with all the bits in the shed putting out 130 hp" (mine makes 90 at the most, won't even wheelie in 1st!) So maybe next year, I'll relieve him of it and take the easy road lol.

FORMULA ONE: Kawasaki 1998 ZX9R C1
As this was to be my last race day using this bike, it was a little emotional for me :crybaby:
I threw some new brake pads in and scrubbed them in the 600 supersport practice session they let us out in.

Qualifying time: 1:12.592
I felt this went really crappy, there was a lot of traffic and the one clear lap I did get, I tried going around the outside of another Kawasaki rider out of coke I ran onto the dirty part of the track and the back end snapped right around and I found myself on full opposite lock, then it went swinging back onto the other opposite lock and then threw a tankslapper party, I was quite relaxed about it and took my usual crashing is not an option stance and wheelied out of it and carried on, I was relieved the soon to be new owner had not arrived yet to witness that little escapade though lol
As mentioned it was traffic, traffic, traffic so I came in convinced I would not even make the top 10, so imagine my suprise at 4th on the grid and the last spot on the front row!!!

Race 1. 6 laps - Fastest lap 1:12.092
I decided going into this race, I'd take it easy and bring her home, funny how plans change when one gets the holeshot :lol:
Robert Jackson got by quite quickly I fought back and led lap 2 then Robert and Craig Shirriffs went past. Jay Lawrence passed me a lap later. As I still had a tyre on that I bought 2nd hand, did a practice day on, all of round 3 Actrix and the Taupo MotoTT day I decided to take it easy, looking behind me to see if this was an option, I saw there was no one in sight, so I went into powerstand mode and just cruised to the finish line in 4th place hehehe

Race 2. 15 laps - Fastest lap 1:11.624
I Holeshotted again and this time held Craig off for 2 laps, then held Robert off for a further 2 laps. I pulled a reasonable gap on Jay, then it started to spit, bearing in mind I was to hand the bike over to it's new owner in about 15 minutes time, I decided that discretion is the better part of valor and backed off. Anyhow, I felt I'd proven the point as to what the 9 is capable off. Jay duly caught and passed me on lap 9
I looked around and seeing there was no one insight reverted back into wheelstand mode and celebrated the 9's last race with at least 5 wheelies per lap hehehe
The rain disappeared and I noticed I was starting to catch "Jay and Craig at one stage. I entertained the thought of putting my head down and going for it, but nahhhh, I was having waaaaaay to much fun so carried on the wheelstand fest. The 9's front was even coming up at the seal change on the back straight in 5th gear, YEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!
I bought her home in 4th place again.
I'm still 2nd in the Superbike championship, so all good.
With 125 points still up for grabs in the championship, I'm nowhere ready to throw in the towel and are really looking forward to rounds 5 and 6!

The new owner of the 9 is now Trevor Strange of MotoTT track day fame, I think he was well impressed with what the bike is capable of :yes:
I've raced the 9 for five years now.
When Richard and I bought the bike, quite frankly it was a piece of shit.
Over the 1st 4 years Richard with some help from others turned this bike into a WEAPON. This is the 1st year it was bug free and I feel our championship position reflects this.
In those 5 years, I only dropped it once, and that was in the POURING rain coming out of the Manfield in field hairpin on mud the $#*#ing drifters left!!!
As Winja and I were discussing the other night, ZX9R's have a shit load of soul and I will miss it.

Richard has now Authorized me to let you all in on what the replacement will be....A 2006 model Kawasaki (if course) ZX10R :woohoo:
Yes, I will now be racing a bike built this century! :killingme
I can hardly bloody wait:Punk:
Sugilite out!

Uncle B
20th August 2006, 00:15
Nice write up Sugilite.
Firstly....Sorry to hear about Mitzi...may she rest in peace.

Was good to see you have a bit of fun on the 9 before handing her over...as they say, out with the old and in with the new. How are you going to handle all that technology?

Once again it was good to watch you race as well as all those that took part in round 4.....plenty of action, thrills and spills.

Deano
20th August 2006, 00:33
So who da Man ?

You are mate. :yes:

Nice report. Might give my one tomorrow when I sober up a bit.

dickytoo
20th August 2006, 03:29
Well, it's going to be strange not to see the ol zx9r in the garage. it's like losing an old friend.

to be fair to the previous owner, it wasn't that bad. it was a tired old 9 but it wasn't a bucket of bolts either.

It's taken us a long time to get where we were with the 9 and its been a hell of a journey, hasn't it?

We have to give credit to guys like derek macadam ex-motorad and ex-team museum who has given us so much help over the years. he's given me so much info about the 9 and helping us with bits here and there, not too mention degreeing the cams for us.

i've pulled that engine apart so many times, i feel i could do it in my sleep! and in some cases, i think we actually did that! nothing like hypothermia to dull the ache from various gashes and bruisies from working on the bike in the middle of the night outdoors!

the best part is, we get to do the same again with a new bike! it's gonna be funny not to have carbs to fiddle around with.

cowpoos
20th August 2006, 10:33
good shit bro....I thought you were fuckin awesome out there in post classics....that bike shouldn't be lapping that fast....true credit to your ability!!! gunna be awesome to see ya out there on a zx10r....and was thinking if richard wanted to buy to off them I'd gladly offer my services to piolet a second bike as your team mate!!!! lmao!

sugilite
20th August 2006, 10:38
Thanks for the kind words pmed and added to rep comments.
It was a hard thing for myself and the kids to do on Friday and I don't mind admitting to shedding a fair few tears. Here is a couple of pics of Mitzi (full name "Mitzibitsi Cordia Turbo", don't ask lol)
She was a happy dog, not to mention an awesome guard dog, well, until she went tone deaf!
She never bit anyone and really looked after the kids, and like most staffies was a complete attention sponge!

Once a year they hold a horse race on Papaparaumu beach and at lunch time they run a race for pet dogs, they put two 4WD's about 200 meters apart and drag a possum skin backwards and forwards between them, the 1st year we entered Mitzi, they could not drag it fast enough and she kept on catching it! The 2nd year they changed the gearing and it was only just fast enough!
It is a large event with well over 100 dogs entered and multi heat races and finals.
Needless to say she won the event both times we entered her.
I guess one could say speed ran in the family:yes:
She will be missed very, very much. Again, Thank You for the kind comments of condolence.

sugilite
20th August 2006, 11:06
How are you going to handle all that technology?

With great joy and happiness, ryan let me loose on his GSXR at manfield a few weeks back and the brakes alone simply astounded me! Roll on technology I say, I can hardly wait to exploit it all!

Nice report. Might give my one tomorrow when I sober up a bit.

Please do Deano, I wait for others ride reports so I can comment on them then, rather than mention every rider in my own report. You did BLOODY well mate!:Punk: Not many can come out 1st time and give the championship leader a good :spanking:

Well, it's going to be strange not to see the ol zx9r in the garage. it's like losing an old friend.

to be fair to the previous owner, it wasn't that bad. it was a tired old 9 but it wasn't a bucket of bolts either.

It's taken us a long time to get where we were with the 9 and its been a hell of a journey, hasn't it?

We have to give credit to guys like derek macadam ex-motorad and ex-team museum who has given us so much help over the years. he's given me so much info about the 9 and helping us with bits here and there, not too mention degreeing the cams for us.

i've pulled that engine apart so many times, i feel i could do it in my sleep! and in some cases, i think we actually did that! nothing like hypothermia to dull the ache from various gashes and bruisies from working on the bike in the middle of the night outdoors!

the best part is, we get to do the same again with a new bike! it's gonna be funny not to have carbs to fiddle around with.

Yeah Richard, apart from the tired old pistons and rings, rooted forks, stuffed brakes (warped calipers, dished disks, munted master cylynder) poor carb set up, dodgy gearbox and about to explode white power shock The bike was primo and as advertised "well set up", errrr or was that us rather than the bike? :killingme

We did get a lot of help from Dereck, for sure he is a awesome all round good guy that knows his shit!

Now enough of this humble pie crap Richard, you are 90% responsible for turning that bike into a KICK ASS race bike!!!
He is not kidding folks, he spilt a lot of his own blood and the guts of his wallet to do so!
A huge thanks to you for everything and I'm soooo looking forward to seeing what we can achieve with the new bike!

Gunna be awesome to see ya out there on a zx10r....and was thinking if richard wanted to buy to off them I'd gladly offer my services to piolet a second bike as your team mate!!!! lmao!

Cheers Poos, when we start a motocross team using GSXR's you will be 1st in line!
Seriously though, thanks for your support and all the very best with your machine repairs.
A lot of people commented to me how stunned they were with your attitude to your off. I too was impressed and feel they are attributes of a possible future champion, a true kiwi, take it on the chin and get on with the job!
Oh yeah, Kick Arias butt, I wanna see that race report too! (the prob with racing two classes is you don't get to see hardly any other races)
:rockon:

T.W.R
20th August 2006, 11:37
Firstly, Condolences Sugi for Mitzi's passing, it's a hard thing to deal with loosing a member of the family like that, but at 17yrs she had a good time at the wicket (almost 120 in doggie years).

Another good report as per usual for the racing.

the ZXR ticking away nicely :Punk:
and the final waltz on the 9R :bye:

both bikes a credit to your ability :rockon:

roll on the 10R :2thumbsup

dickytoo
20th August 2006, 12:09
gand was thinking if richard wanted to buy to off them I'd gladly offer my services to piolet a second bike as your team mate!!!! lmao!

hey cowpoos,

i didn't tell anthony but i'll be eating dry crackers and with water (jeez, i hope i can afford the water) for the next few years after we put the money on the 10r!

the only way i can afford a second bike is if i find a sugar mummy but they're too damned fussy!

cowpoos
20th August 2006, 12:24
hey cowpoos,

i didn't tell anthony but i'll be eating dry crackers and with water (jeez, i hope i can afford the water) for the next few years after we put the money on the 10r!

the only way i can afford a second bike is if i find a sugar mummy but they're too damned fussy!
I hear helen clarks looking mate!!

chanceyy
20th August 2006, 13:24
well Ant it sure is a pleasure to watch you ride mate..

blardy fantastic .. :first:

love the profile pic of the new bike .. can not wait to see you play with that

& yes kudos to Richard who enables you to have fun on his bikes

aweseome stuff

can not wait to see the next round .. :Punk:

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 14:04
Good stuff Sugi!!

And Go hard on the new toy!!

Give that boy jay a lesson eh!!

poorbastard
20th August 2006, 14:11
Nice report.

Enjoy the new beast

sugilite
20th August 2006, 14:14
The ZXR ticking away nicely :Punk:
Yep, the 750 is finished now, I'll just keep racing it as is, I was using a wheel adapted from the 9 which was in itself adapted from another ZXR750, so switching back to my street wheel will be a cinch now. I scored some cheap brake rotors for it through E-bay.
The only thing I'm on the look out for now is a spare rear wheel for the rear for the same reasons. I'll be able to convert it from street bike to race bike in less than 45 mins then.

hey cowpoos,

Crackers? How we going to afford tyres with you gorging yourself on crackers????

Good stuff Sugi!!

And Go hard on the new toy!!

Give that boy jay a lesson eh!!

Yeah, I "intend" to put those pesky 600's in their place. I noticed my lap times were less than 1/2 a second slower than Craig and Jays in that last race. I so hope The 10 with more power and up to date chasis is better than half a second faster than the 9 :devil2:

T.W.R
20th August 2006, 14:44
Yep, the 750 is finished now, I'll just keep racing it as is, I was using a wheel adapted from the 9 which was in itself adapted from another ZXR750, so switching back to my street wheel will be a cinch now. I scored some cheap brake rotors for it through E-bay.
The only thing I'm on the look out for now is a spare rear wheel for the rear for the same reasons. I'll be able to convert it from street bike to race bike in less than 45 mins then.

GPmotorcycles have been advertising a H2 for ages :yes: most of the panel work is gone but the chassis & motor were almost complete, you might be able to snatch the wheel from that, they're black though.

You'll be itching to sneak down this neck of woods later in the year mmm? :scooter:

Rossi Gal
20th August 2006, 15:41
well another awesome write-up there Sugi!! what a great note for you to finish on yesterday. cant wait to see you on ya new mean machine!!
Condolences to you and your family for the loss of Mitzi. RIP.
PS im getting to ma report..hold ya horses lol

Two Smoker
20th August 2006, 20:11
Absolutely awesome stuff Ant :niceone: Gutted i wasnt there to see your parting day with the ZX9... Cant wait to see you on a ZX10 though!!! Bring on the nationals aye???

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
21st August 2006, 08:47
Great report. Sorry to hear about Mitzi, had a kinship with her - we're both deaf!! lol
Look forward to seeing the new bike.
roll on round 5.

kiwifruit
21st August 2006, 08:54
Cheers for the write up Ant :)
Your zx9 has gone to a very good home you can rest assured
cant wait to see how you go on some "modern" machinary :gob:

Sparky Bills
21st August 2006, 09:20
Ill get ya next time!:innocent:

sugilite
21st August 2006, 17:30
Absolutely awesome stuff Ant :niceone: Gutted I wasnt there to see your parting day with the ZX9... Cant wait to see you on a ZX10 though!!! Bring on the nationals aye???

Yeah, I'll prob do the nth island rounds of the nats, I was gutted to see the South Island rounds are 1st up which is different from normal. I was hoping to get good enough results in the north Island rounds and get sponsorship help to do the south island ones, boo hoo as I go really well on the south Island tracks. You never know though, somthing may crop up in the next 4 months before they start....heres hoping.

Cheers for the write up Ant :)
Your zx9 has gone to a very good home you can rest assured
cant wait to see how you go on some "modern" machinary :gob:

Yeah, I was quite sad to see it go, but when Trevor told me what his road bike was, it made me feel better knowing it was going to a Kawasaki fan :yes:

Ill get ya next time!:innocent:

Thanks for the offer man, but we have our own van to get to the race meetings. :innocent:

I pick up the 06 ZX10R on Wednesday folks! :woohoo:
It's a black one like in the avatar/profile photo, but we are going to paint the race fairings green and use green graphics on the tank :yes:

chanceyy
21st August 2006, 17:35
I pick up the 06 ZX10R on Wednesday folks! :woohoo:
It's a black one like in the avatar/profile photo, but we are going to paint the race fairings green and use green graphics on the tank :yes:

whoo hoooo can imagine .. no sleep tues .. be there first thing wed .. bring it home .. gear on .. and on that personal race track . .. hmmmm can see it now .. dunna believe the smile will leave for a while :headbang: :woohoo: :bleh:

SPman
21st August 2006, 19:58
You & Winja are right - ZX9's have got soul! Im enjoying my 9 more than the Gixxer :gob: Brilliant road bikes!

skelstar
21st August 2006, 20:10
Luck bastard. You gonna road ride it all sugi? Give us a yell if youre riding down this way.

sugilite
21st August 2006, 23:00
whoo hoooo can imagine .. no sleep tues .. be there first thing wed .. bring it home .. gear on .. and on that personal race track . .. hmmmm can see it now .. dunna believe the smile will leave for a while :headbang: :woohoo: :bleh:

I'm already pumped, so sleep is not really happening already lol

You & Winja are right - ZX9's have got soul! Im enjoying my 9 more than the Gixxer :gob: Brilliant road bikes!
I can understand that, even in race trim the 9 made a really primo road bike :innocent: (you would understand if you saw where I lived hehehe)

Luck bastard. You gonna road ride it all sugi? Give us a yell if youre riding down this way.

Yup, I got to run it in and Hewitts are giving me a dealer plate for my multiple extended "test rides"
I cannot see much on in the Meetings and Events forum this Weekend, perhaps I should organize one up this way for Sunday on our very awesome local roads, anyone interested in that?

skelstar
21st August 2006, 23:02
Could be. As long as you wait at the decision-places. Ill hopefully have new tyres and chain in time.

vtec
21st August 2006, 23:20
I think this is your most detailed write up yet. Good stuff. And I finally got to watch you racing and mixing it up with the top guys in the country. Bring on the ZX10 with way better technology on it. You are going to be a force.

sugilite
21st August 2006, 23:29
Could be. As long as you wait at the decision-places. Ill hopefully have new tyres and chain in time.
I'll supply maps of the ride to all participants that come along then.
Remember, I'll be running the bike in, it will not be a motogp qualifying session!

T.W.R
21st August 2006, 23:29
Yup, I got to run it in and Hewitts are giving me a dealer plate for my multiple extended "test rides"

Oh dear what a shame :rolleyes: :lol: lucky sod hehe have fun :rockon:

babyB
22nd August 2006, 01:40
sad to hear Sugi condolences to you all, light n love
wahoo Sugi good on ya, well done:2thumbsup
way cool write up as always
all the best with da new bike too

Uncle B
22nd August 2006, 10:29
Remember, I'll be running the bike in, it will not be a motogp qualifying session!
Yeah right.

I'm in if there's a ride

sugilite
23rd August 2006, 00:37
Yeah right.

I'm in if there's a ride

Uncle B, see thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=728135#post728135

sugilite
23rd August 2006, 00:43
Pics from the meeting.
The guy on the white fairing shod GSXR is Craig Shirriffs, and no I'm not being lapped!
The other is of the 750 in the sweeper and now I know what happened to my new toe sliders!

skelstar
23rd August 2006, 09:06
Mate, those are great photos.

mikey
23rd August 2006, 14:00
ANIMAL!

i never used to think of myself as that slow until i saw your lap times on your 89 750 going a second (or two?) quicker than me!

mnight as well hang up the racing leathers an stick to my trusty ripped jeans on the local roads. dont crash in jeans. but crash a lot when im wearing leather.

MikeyG
23rd August 2006, 18:02
I was watching up at the sweeper on the last post classics race. You had knee and toe down all through the sweeper every lap. I bet your grin was ear-to-ear after that race. Never before have I wanted to get out there so much.

sugilite
24th August 2006, 07:39
ANIMAL!

i never used to think of myself as that slow until i saw your lap times on your 89 750 going a second (or two?) quicker than me!

mnight as well hang up the racing leathers an stick to my trusty ripped jeans on the local roads. dont crash in jeans. but crash a lot when im wearing leather.
The time diff was 2.036. Keep going at it man, I got 20 years on ya lol

I was watching up at the sweeper on the last post classics race. You had knee and toe down all through the sweeper every lap. I bet your grin was ear-to-ear after that race. Never before have I wanted to get out there so much.
Your not wrong, I got a bad case of face ache through and after that race hehehe.
See you out there one day. Can ya make methanol to put in ya GN at work? :Punk: