PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 10:38
Computer is stalling on start up at the detecting IDE drives line on start up!
I haven't done anything to it and just wont start.

Any ideas?

tl_tub
20th August 2006, 10:47
Possibly your hard drive has died, or the connector just needs a wiggle. Im sure someone local will be able to have a look.

Kyle
20th August 2006, 10:47
LOL Speedie, nice one :niceone:

crashe
20th August 2006, 10:54
buy a new computer....... with a new monitor...

and I will take your old one off ya hands.... for parts for mine... (need a new monitor as well.. ) :whistle:

Firefight
20th August 2006, 11:00

Any ideas?

Alex,

do you want me to come and have a look at it for you ?

F/F

crashe
20th August 2006, 11:14
Alex, do you want me to come and have a look at it for you ? F/F

Shit dont let F/F near your comp... he even looses photos (in the gallery section) from his computer... :whistle:

(pt)

Wasp
20th August 2006, 11:17
Sounds like a dead hdd (unless you added a new one).

listen closly to it, can you hear it? is it clunking?

also if theres anything important on it, dont touch it as that could destroy it more, get someone to try and retreive your data

Hopefully for your sake its just an error for some reason

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 11:20
Sounds like a dead hdd (unless you added a new one).

listen closly to it, can you hear it? is it clunking?

also if theres anything important on it, dont touch it as that could destroy it more, get someone to try and retreive your data

Hopefully for your sake its just an error for some reason

No unusual noises thank god, HDD is getting on a bit though.

James Deuce
20th August 2006, 12:58
Got to computer store. Buy a can of compressed air (don't use a vacuum cleaner on blow. MASSIVE static charge).

Open PC up. Pull all cable and power connectors off. Blow air up the arse of every connector. Blast your CPU HeatSink fan unit.

Carefully and firmly replug everything.

If it still does it. Pull the power out of the CD drive (or DVD drive, OR burner, or whatever) and reboot. If it starts OK your Optical drive is ferked.

If it still doesn't start, open her up, pull the power out of your HDD. If it races through to a prompt saying unable to find ntloader (or something) than your HDD is on the way out.

Now listen very carefully: pay someone to duplicate, image, or migrate your disk contents to a new drive.

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 13:21
Got to computer store. Buy a can of compressed air (don't use a vacuum cleaner on blow. MASSIVE static charge).

Open PC up. Pull all cable and power connectors off. Blow air up the arse of every connector. Blast your CPU HeatSink fan unit.

Carefully and firmly replug everything.

If it still does it. Pull the power out of the CD drive (or DVD drive, OR burner, or whatever) and reboot. If it starts OK your Optical drive is ferked.

If it still doesn't start, open her up, pull the power out of your HDD. If it races through to a prompt saying unable to find ntloader (or something) than your HDD is on the way out.

Now listen very carefully: pay someone to duplicate, image, or migrate your disk contents to a new drive.

Could I use Contact Cleaner instead of compressed air? Got plenty of that at home....

The Pastor
20th August 2006, 13:42
Just stick a plaster on it.

MOTOXXX
20th August 2006, 13:48
Could I use Contact Cleaner instead of compressed air? Got plenty of that at home....

probly not a good idea.

you havent got a non bootable cd in the cd rom by any chance have you?

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 14:16
probly not a good idea.

you havent got a non bootable cd in the cd rom by any chance have you?

nah checked that

battlefield dvd is prob in one of the drives but that aint bootable and has been in there for over a year basically

Wasp
20th August 2006, 14:34
so long as its the type of contact cleaner that completly evaporates a second or two after spraying it on, we use it at work all the time but its not cheap $30 a can at a company price rate....

If it were me id take it out and put it in one of my other machines, get someone that knows what they're doing to take a look at it for you - if I was in aucks i'd be there now

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 15:18
so long as its the type of contact cleaner that completly evaporates a second or two after spraying it on, we use it at work all the time but its not cheap $30 a can at a company price rate....

If it were me id take it out and put it in one of my other machines, get someone that knows what they're doing to take a look at it for you - if I was in aucks i'd be there now

I dont pay for it hence thought it would be easier to use than finding somewhere to buy compressed air

Was also thinking I could install linux on my other hdd, but will try the cleaning things first, as it prob doesn't have much space on it at present.

Firefight
20th August 2006, 15:24
I dont pay for it hence

yeah,

but us tax payers do, dammed defence force budget !:nono:

F/F

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 15:56
yeah,

but us tax payers do, dammed defence force budget !:nono:

F/F

Actually get from another source, but you prob pay for it from there anyways

dhunt
20th August 2006, 17:04

Any ideas?
Unplug cables to hard disk and plug them in again. Also do the same at the mother board end. And unplug any cdrom drives etc and leave unplugged. See if it boots then.

Sounds like the bios has mucked up (low battery) or hard drive is dying/or mother board. Try reseting bios to defaults and see if that works.

If it still doesn't work try it in another computer to decide it is hard disk or mother board. If it works make a backup of everything just in case you loose it.

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 17:07
Unplug cables to hard disk and plug them in again. Also do the same at the mother board end. And unplug any cdrom drives etc and leave unplugged. See if it boots then.

Sounds like the bios has mucked up (low battery) or hard drive is dying/or mother board. Try reseting bios to defaults and see if that works.

If it still doesn't work try it in another computer to decide it is hard disk or mother board. If it works make a backup of everything just in case you loose it.

I found it at that screen after leaving it leaching torrents all day, but that was going to a slave HD.......

I see 250GB is now only $130 so thats not too bad if I do need a new one, but thats a lot of petrol, oil and filters that the bike needs!

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 18:38
Well reset the CMOS/ BIOS thingy with the jumper when I opened the case and tried that and it "fixed" it

dhunt
20th August 2006, 18:52
Well reset the CMOS/ BIOS thingy with the jumper when I opened the case and tried that and it "fixed" it
Cool - could be the cmos battery is on the way out - you might need to replace it sometime.

sAsLEX
20th August 2006, 19:15
Cool - could be the cmos battery is on the way out - you might need to replace it sometime.

ok, has done something similar before so that could be the

GR81
20th August 2006, 21:09
"have you tried turning it off then on again?"
-IT Crowd

i cant be assed reading other peoples replies but...

try reseting the bios

John Banks
21st August 2006, 17:06
"have you tried turning it off then on again?"
-IT Crowd

Check the tire pressure.

GR81
21st August 2006, 19:09
Check the tire pressure.

or the 'gold plated giggle-rod'?

paturoa
21st August 2006, 19:36
what sort of computer?
did it beep at all, if so what?
what does the screen say / do?

DingDong
21st August 2006, 19:40
Good you got it going... but the cmos wont slowly clap out (it either works or it dont)...
dont use contact cleaner, just wiggle everything a bit... if it plays up again unplug cd-roms remove modem and any other bits not required... and start again, I think it maybe your PSU... tho oddly the monitor is usually the first to shut down not the HD.

The PC I use for the Internet (this one), needs to be periodicly kick started... I usually eject the drive door and use it to bounce it up and down on the desk... if I dont the HD wont read sometimes... this is a true story... you might like to try kick starting your PC.:yes:

Wasp
21st August 2006, 19:45
you might like to try kick starting your PC.:yes:

I prefer crash starting.

DingDong
21st August 2006, 19:54
I prefer crash starting.

Like a Honda?

James Deuce
21st August 2006, 19:57
Like a Honda?

No, like a Gixxer.

Wasp
21st August 2006, 23:17
yea, i never had to crash start my old honda.

ive seen IR do it though, its a mixture of laughing and fearing that he will fall off and break my old bike :rofl:

John Banks
22nd August 2006, 15:56
No, like a Gixxer.

I thought that was crash stopping.
Honda: Disc brakes
Kawasaki: Disc brakes
Gixxer: Ditch brakes.