PDA

View Full Version : Little buggers Race Report

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 12:07
:innocent:

VMCC Actrix Round four

This weekend was going to be the first weekend I was to be racing my KR150, which I was really excited about!

For the last three rounds I have been racing the Ivan's RG150. Thanks heaps guys it was real great of you to let me use your bike!!.

Scrub In session

I had two new tyres I needed to scrub in so I though I would use this opportunity to do so. I had taken quite a risk with the tyres running a Dunlop tt900gp at the front with a Dunlop GPR70 (front tyre) on the back flipped around. Sometimes when you put front tyres on the back wheel you can get big issues with miss-matched tyres.
I took it very easy at the beginning slowly leaning a little more each corner until I started knee sliding…. I though that would be sufficient scrubbing in… Anyways, I'm coming up to turn one….. Then cowpoos on his GSXR750 comes flying through….. Crazy old farmer!! Out of turn one the track keeps sweeping to the right…. I watched him….. Whoosh! All over rover!! He lowslided his bike in scrub in!... The bad luck was when his bike hit the grass it tumbled… and broke everything!! Damn man. My guts sank! Scrub in was over… Into the pits to tell the grim news!

Street Stock Practice

Now that I know I'm not having any problems with the tyres, I can start to push it
I got a few good laps in which I was happy with…. But I learned a new problem! My KR has a very close range gear box (which is good) but my gearing is way too short! I'm topping out 6th gear before I even get to the start finish line

When I got back to the pits I had a look around for a bigger front sprocket! Couldn't find one unfortunately (thanks Sugilite for looking: niceone: )

I qualified 2nd with a 1:31 lap time. Vtec was in front of me (surprise surprise :nya: )

Streetstock Race one

Warm up lap… yeah pretty average…..

Race start… we are behind the 125s now which is really good as the 150s get past them at the start but then the 125s re-pass us after before turn one!

I get a average start.. Vtec got a good one! So did Neil Chappell. I was right on Vtec's ass through the in field…. I was gonna pass him into splash…. Thought I would play it safe as he would just pass me back down the straight!! I still gave it a go on the exit of the hairpin just to let him know I can out corner him!! Lol… That race was pretty boring until I caught up with William on the 125… Neil was a way back now so I had a bit of fun with William…. He would nail pass me down the straights and sometimes do cool power wheelies…. Then I would pass him around the out side at the sweeper.! It was fun!!

Anyways. Got second with a 1:30.1 lap time!! Almost into the 1:29s !!

Streetstock race two

18 lapper…. Long..

I had a lot of fun keeping Vtec more than honest in the infield and I was starting to get very very quick in splash!! It was great but then I ended up all alone which was boring…. Even when the 125s came past I could keep them in the corners!!

Finished second overall in Streetstock. I'm really happy but I did not make the 1:29s which I was a bit gutted about.

Superlite F3

I didn't do practice, the first race was boring so I'm not going to talk about that either,

But race two!! Me and Neil Chappell were having great fun passing each other!! Then I though.. I still wanted to do my 1:29 lap…. So I left him behind…

I dedicated ONE lap to make a fast lap time… that was the last lap.

Can any one say 1:28.7 !!! HELL YEAH!!

And it wasn't that hard. I just rode super smooth and talked my way through the lap!!

I'm still buzzing now!!!

Hopefully next round ill be able to beat Vtec ( I will change my gearing which should give me a second a lap! )

Thanks to:

Bert - For saving me the pit!! Cheers mate
Sugilite - for looking for the sprocket
My dad - for getting me to the track!
And mostly

HI TORQUE CYCLES in Kapiti! - For the Mint deal on the tyres! Thanks Dave!!

Over and out amigos!!

-RG

Coyote
20th August 2006, 12:19
Sounds like fun. Cowpoos crash must've been pretty sobering though

God I want to race. I hope racing the first round each year doesn't become a habit

cowpoos
20th August 2006, 12:25
good stuff bro......good to see the bike was running better than last time!

Shaun
20th August 2006, 13:14
Good work Little Bugger, keep talking to your self mate, that is a brilliant way to get yourself around a race track

chanceyy
20th August 2006, 13:20
good write up .. next time say hi so i know who i am watching :P

sugilite
20th August 2006, 13:38
Great write up dude!
Good riding too, pity I did not get to see you in action, but from what I saw of you on the hill the other Weekend you would have been flying! The lap times sound primo considering your gearing woes, you could only have been cutting those times through the corners, so good on ya:yes:
Pity I did not have my motard bike there, I would have had the right size sprockets then....

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 13:39
Thanks Heaps guys!!!

Alarumba - Yeah it would be great to see you back out there!!

Cowpoos - Running better!! Its a whole different bike!!

Shaun - Thanks. I feel it does work, along with being smooth calm and relaxed!

Chancyy - I will make sure to come say hello ;)

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 13:42
Great write up dude!
Good riding too, pity I did not get to see you in action, but from what I saw of you on the hill the other Weekend you would have been flying! The lap times sound primo considering your gearing woes, you could only have been cutting those times through the corners, so good on ya:yes:
Pity I did not have my motard bike there, I would have had the right size sprockets then....

Thanks mate!

Yeah i think there should be at least a second in the gearing... which means hopefully ill be able to keep up with the 250 that is beating me!!

sugilite
20th August 2006, 13:54
Where were you topping out down the back straight?

poorbastard
20th August 2006, 13:56
Nice race report man sounds like you had a shit load of fun.

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 13:58
Where were you topping out down the back straight?

Na back straight had a head wind so was just topping out down there.

The front straight was worse.. I would come through the sweeper in 5th gear then as i came up to the ripple strip i would hook 6th then top out just after the pit enterance.

Middle straight was the same although not as bad!

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 14:00
Nice race report man sounds like you had a shit load of fun.

Thanks mate!

Yeah i soooo much fun!! although... this time, more fun than usual!

sugilite
20th August 2006, 14:04
K dude, I reckon it could have been costing you up to 1.5 seconds a lap in that case, though you may have lost a bit gearing it up down the back straight, swings n round abouts...

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 14:14
I was still hitting the red line for about 1/4 of the bck straight, but it keeps reving to about 2000RPM after that. then it just stops!

the good thing is that it has a really close gearbox, which means you can use your gears alot!

Rossi Gal
20th August 2006, 14:24
great write up!! glad you had a good day!

texmo
20th August 2006, 14:28
Not bad dude. your not far away from the 1:26 you wanna get.

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 14:29
Thanks Rossi Gal,

Will i be getting the honour of readin your write up??

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 14:30
Not bad dude. your not far away from the 1:26 you wanna get.
cheers,

Yeah if next round is a dry one i'll aim for it. I might be able to do it with the gearin fixed!

Racey Rider
20th August 2006, 14:51
Yeah i soooo much fun!! although... this time, more fun than usual!

Must have been the Dunlops! :msn-wink:

Well done chap.

Rossi Gal
20th August 2006, 17:45
Thanks Rossi Gal,

Will i be getting the honour of readin your write up??
hehe yeah im a lil slow but its up now :)

vtec
20th August 2006, 17:54
Yeah, was good to see you going so hard. Worried me a bit when you kept with me for a couple of laps in the 18lapper. But once I settled in, I started cornering pretty hardcore. Using Texmo's knee down butt right over technique in some places. Managed to do 6 1:27's in a row, and I was about 0.1second off getting the 1:26's.

Once you get your gearing sorted, you might lose a tiny bit of acceleration, but you'll gain lots of top speed. Although, sometimes having to change gears less can be a bloody good thing, and make you up a fair bit of ground. Bring it on RG.

kiwifruit
20th August 2006, 17:58
Good stuff m8
c u next round ;-)

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 19:46
Yeah, was good to see you going so hard. Worried me a bit when you kept with me for a couple of laps in the 18lapper. But once I settled in, I started cornering pretty hardcore. Using Texmo's knee down butt right over technique in some places. Managed to do 6 1:27's in a row, and I was about 0.1second off getting the 1:26's.

Once you get your gearing sorted, you might lose a tiny bit of acceleration, but you'll gain lots of top speed. Although, sometimes having to change gears less can be a bloody good thing, and make you up a fair bit of ground. Bring it on RG.

Yeah i was genuinly impressed with the 1:27.1 lap time you did!! thats some quick shit.

and im glad you are out there, as if you werent now there would be no one to race because of being on the good bike now i can beat neil chappell.

I wont loose too much acceration as my gearbox is so close it makes up for it!!.

From the hair pin i go from second gear to 6th in half the straight!!.

Cheers!

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 19:47
Good stuff m8
c u next round ;-)

Awesome!! I look foward to seeing you out there!! :yes:

Two Smoker
20th August 2006, 20:01
Awesome!! I look foward to seeing you out there!! :yes:

Wicked stuff mate :niceone: Top stuff on the 1:28!!!

Sketchy_Racer
20th August 2006, 20:23
thanks dude!!

madkeenandy
21st August 2006, 18:05
Yer gearing up is probably a good idea. We all have one tooth smaller frount sprocket on our RGs and KRs down on Ruapuna, and it works fine.

Good stuff on the lap times ;)

Sketchy_Racer
21st August 2006, 18:11
Cheers keen andy,

Although i need to go up a tooth on my front sproket, not down ;)

madkeenandy
21st August 2006, 19:03
whoops hehe i meant to say that:shutup:

Sketchy_Racer
21st August 2006, 21:08
All good!

How are you doin with your racing??

Your profile pic looks quite impressive!!

madkeenandy
22nd August 2006, 17:46
Sometimes pictures can be misleading!

Not bad 7th is best placing (0ut of 25 bikes) in Streetstock only started Feb this year and still have a long way to go. In buckets I'm getting bout 10th out of 20 or so. Its quite a lot more intense than streetstock :) I really enjoy racing and hope i can continue for a long time to come
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Sketchy_Racer
22nd August 2006, 17:55
Awesome. What tires are you running on your bucket?

madkeenandy
22nd August 2006, 18:37
ex rs125 slicks (that have been cut)

madkeenandy
22nd August 2006, 18:38
What tyres are you running?

Sketchy_Racer
22nd August 2006, 20:13
Im runnin full slicks...

But the're really really old and hard.

Still just enough to win though!!

madkeenandy
22nd August 2006, 20:53
cool! you don't kneed that much on a bucket, everything helps though
we've got some slicks from the last nationals so nice and fresh!

Are you coming down for the Battle of the Buckets?

Sketchy_Racer
22nd August 2006, 21:03
I hope so!!.

It all depends on time and money!!

madkeenandy
22nd August 2006, 21:09
Its gonna be awesome with the amount of people that said they are coming.
mmmmm 40+ people on Ruapuna B track for a 55min endurance race.....
:gob: :scooter:

Sketchy_Racer
22nd August 2006, 21:11
I love indurance races!!

Im sooo going to have to make an effort to come!!

is there racing on for the 150SS as well??

madkeenandy
22nd August 2006, 21:18
no its only a BEARS meeting, no Jappas alowed cept for Buckets + cams :(

A 150ss race on the B track would be awesome!!!

madkeenandy
22nd August 2006, 21:21
the meeting closest to Battle of the Buckets that has Streetstock is King of Levels(timaru) on the 16th and King of Ruapuna on the 30th

babyB
23rd August 2006, 16:37
good writeup sounds like ya had fun and well done:Punk: