PDA

View Full Version : DR650 how far per litre and pics on Paekak Hill

merv
20th August 2006, 17:38
OK I said I'd take Mrs merv's Dr out for a blat and measure the fuel use carefully. I didn't have time to do too much in the end I blatted up and down all sorts of roads inlcuding Paekak Hill in our typical gentle wind - yeah right - requiring quite a bit of throttle. Gave it a few fast bursts too - up to 150km/hr - on closed roads under controlled conditions of course. In the end I went 91.4km between fuel stops - absolutely filled it to the brim both times which when I put the cap on made it spill a bit so probably lost a few kms if you know what I mean. All I could get in the tank was 4.22 litres - so that is 21.66km/litre. Like I'd said earlier I knew it does better than 20/litre even two up it does something like that.

Mrs merv's DR is stock standard bar the 1 tooth less on the front sprocket and it runs like a charm so we have no problems with it being as lean as it is except you have to warm it well before you shut the choke off.

Anyway when I got to the top of Paekak Hill there were a few bikers there - most looked a bit vague when I said I'd put some photos up on KiwiBiker except one who came forward to let me know he was crazybigal. There was an old VF Honda there looking in very good nick too.

Enjoy the pics. Always have my camera eh, that's the beauty of having a Ventura bag to carry stuff in ... and no that's not my VFR.

James Deuce
20th August 2006, 17:45
Good stuff Merv.

crazybigal - that thing is MINT.

crazybigal
20th August 2006, 17:52
sure is mate!
tryn to get that guy to buy my 02, id be happy with his tidy 97
he was out for a ride to look at a ducati 996, he didnt like it!

Good stuff Merv.

crazybigal - that thing is MINT.

crazybigal
20th August 2006, 17:57
well done with the photos merv!
yeah that old vfr was in good nick!
tryn to sell the 02 to him.

OK I said I'd take Mrs merv's Dr out for a blat and measure the fuel use carefully. I didn't have time to do too much in the end I blatted up and down all sorts of roads inlcuding Paekak Hill in our typical gentle wind - yeah right - requiring quite a bit of throttle. Gave it a few fast bursts too - up to 150km/hr - on closed roads under controlled conditions of course. In the end I went 91.4km between fuel stops - absolutely filled it to the brim both times which when I put the cap on made it spill a bit so probably lost a few kms if you know what I mean. All I could get in the tank was 4.22 litres - so that is 21.66km/litre. Like I'd said earlier I knew it does better than 20/litre even two up it does something like that.

Mrs merv's DR is stock standard bar the 1 tooth less on the front sprocket and it runs like a charm so we have no problems with it being as lean as it is except you have to warm it well before you shut the choke off.

Anyway when I got to the top of Paekak Hill there were a few bikers there - most looked a bit vague when I said I'd put some photos up on kiwiBiker except one who came forward to let me know he was Crazybigal. The was an old VF Honda there looking in very good nick too.

Enjoy the pics. Always have my camera eh, that's the beauty of having a Venture bag to carry stuff in ... and no that's not my VFR.

far queue
20th August 2006, 18:08
... so that is 21.66km/litre. Like I'd said earlier I knew it does better than 20/litre even two up it does something like that.That's pretty damned impressive, that's 281km per tank, I'd be happy with that and wouldn't be looking at getting a bigger tank.

merv
20th August 2006, 18:16
Only thing was in a cold wind like was blowing around 4 to 5pm there were no sign of these that crazybigal showed us before http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39107&d=1155449488

laRIKin
20th August 2006, 18:59
Well that real good mileage, I will have to look at SDU bike now.
As she just got home to tell me that she got 161k's to 10.5L so she is only getting 15.3Km/L. Bugger.

merv
20th August 2006, 19:08
We bought Mrs merv's DR new off White Trash at WMCC 2 years ago now and I never had to touch any of the tuning on it so have never altered idle mixture, needle position or anything like that. It has run fine and that is why I was surprised when you guys talk of only getting 15-16/litre. Even my VFR ridden at warp speed would not drink that much fuel.

upshift
20th August 2006, 19:38
Rode my DRZ250 to work and back a few days last week and only got 22.54km/l which is not great. My old SL230 Honda never did less than 30km/litre on the road.

Ruralman
20th August 2006, 20:03
That's pretty damned impressive, that's 281km per tank, I'd be happy with that and wouldn't be looking at getting a bigger tank.

It would be really interesting to line up your bike with Merv's and see what, if any, gain in performance you have got through rejetting etc. I have a mate with a DRZ400 who was amazed that putting the fancy pipe on it including rejetting made almost no difference when lined up against a stock bike - in spite of it feeling very different, sounding different and with a more instantaneous feel to the throttle.
Does it make you wonder about putting back in the stock jet and using the choke a bit more?

merv
20th August 2006, 20:25
I fiddled with bikes back in the 70's and I never had access to dynos then but in the end I found I was happier with them stock usually with a nice spread of power and nice quiet exhausts. In the early 80's I did enduros on my lovely XR200RD and after passing most people on flat out trails - Waiterere forest used to be one of my favourites - I'd be asked "what have you done to that?" My answer was nothing - I was about the only person I knew that ran with stock exhaust and never modified the baffle like most did and I could crank a higher top speed out of mine than most could. I would just say to them wind the throttle hard around and hang on then you'll find out how fast your bike can go.

These days I'm not into competition so stock is the go. With my road bike I have had friends that fit noisy pipes to their bikes and still ride slower than me. I ride with them and say "I'm only revving this to 7,000rpm riding with you so probably only using 50hp, so what's the point in you adding 2.6 hp to yours at 11,000rpm if you aren't up to riding at that speed?"

Unless you are Rossi (or jimbo600 or someone) you don't need mega power to ride fast on the road or the trail.

The trick though is keep your bike in top order and it will perform. I started a thread about that here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32851 and this one http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=23468

Ruralman
20th August 2006, 20:33
[QUOTE=merv;725457]I fiddled with bikes back in the 70's and I never had access to dynos then but in the end I found I was happier with them stock usually with a nice spread of power and nice quiet exhausts. In the early 80's I did enduros on my lovely XR200RD and after passing most people on flat out trails - Waiterere forest used to be one of my favourites - I'd be asked "what have you done to that?" My answer was nothing - I was about the only person I knew that ran with stock exhaust and never modified the baffle like most did and I could crank a higher top speed out of mine than most could. I would just say to them wind the throttle hard around and hang on then you'll find out how fast your bike can go.

The exception to this for me is the KDX - the difference with a ProCircuit pipe plus the rejetting is huge, but I suppose you're rigth in that you need an open enough trail to show the difference although the instant power is great in the tight stuff when you need to raise the front wheel to get over things.

merv
20th August 2006, 20:41
The exception to this for me is the KDX - the difference with a ProCircuit pipe plus the rejetting is huge, but I suppose you're rigth in that you need an open enough trail to show the difference although the instant power is great in the tight stuff when you need to raise the front wheel to get over things.

Basically I enjoy riding but I'm one that has never done it to obsession - always too many other things to do. So when I competed my biggest issue was fitness - you know first hour fine, second hour pain, third hour broken the pain barrier pain goes away (arm pump and all that stuff) and on you'd go and finish an enduro 6 - 8 hours later. I never ever found my bikes were my limitation for speed, I was. I was not one to practice or do fitness work - I just rode the day I wanted to and that was it. I'm still like that now so don't even ride every weekend.

far queue
20th August 2006, 20:54
It would be really interesting to line up your bike with Merv's and see what, if any, gain in performance you have got through rejetting etc.

Does it make you wonder about putting back in the stock jet and using the choke a bit more?It hasn't been rejetted. The only engine related change from stock is removal of the snorkel from the airbox, done at the suggestion of the dealer, and the richening up of the mixture, done by the dealer during the 1000km service to compensate for the removal of the snorkel. I'm told that the bikes are set up to run lean as stock in order to meet emission standards.

I was experiencing carb icing problems, and the dealer suggested the above as a solution. I haven't had a problem with icing since, although the drop in economy was noticeable immediatly. I didn't notice any difference in power.

A side by side comparison would be interesting.

merv
20th August 2006, 21:58
Hey maybe its the temperature and ours would ice its carb in ChCh too.

I haven't taken our carb apart but any mixture change would be limited to idle mixture and needle height I'm presuming, and only the needle height would make a significant difference to fuel use and then mainly in the mid range. Wide open of course with the same jet we should all use the same amount.

crazybigal
20th August 2006, 22:08
well i just had to switch to reserve on the motorway! i got 230km out of 17.5L
the reserve in the rf is way to big, pain in the ass! ill have to chop it down a bit i think, its a thirsy we beast:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

merv
20th August 2006, 22:12
That's only just over 13/litre - that aint flash.

Motu
20th August 2006, 23:44
The XLV750 did 17kpl no matter how I rode it,2nd and 3rd gear on the limiter on gravel roads or cruising at 120kph on boring stuff - a low stressed V twin.The XT400E got the same being thrashed all the time.The DT230 takes me 165 km to reserve on 9 litres - that's 18kpl...I'm surprised,and that's usually a fair bit of gravel with heaps of wheelspin..Because I don't get many km to the tank I tend to think it's thirsty,but it's a small tank so deceives me.It can drop to 16kpl if I really thrash it,but not bad for a little 2 stroke keeping up with the big boys.

Shadows
20th August 2006, 23:58
From brim to reserve, about 12 litres, I'm getting 224k.