PDA

View Full Version : Akatarawa Road today (20 August)

jeff
20th August 2006, 19:09
Took the two Bros's out today. Arrived at Caltex Rimutaka at 10am this morning and decided it was too windy on the hill for me (Chrissie). Decided to go across the Akatarawa Road to Waikanae. There was a bit of tarseal missing here and there at the Upper Hutt end and plenty of rocks on the road through the middle part, misty at the top of the hill, but still quite a good ride. Cyclists for Africa through there. Carried on through to Palmerston up through the Shannon side. Only had rain the last 9k into Palmy.

Had a look about at ANZA and then came back down the main road. Really windy south of Palmy (kept slowing the Bros's motor) and headed back through Opiki and came back down through Shannon.

Went on down through to central Wellington. Played tag with a truck and trailer unit all the way from Otaki to Porirua. Him overtaking us, then us overtaking him all the way! Round trip 300k. Blow dried ourselves on the way home.

Chrissie and Jeff

merv
20th August 2006, 19:14
Good one. I was hoping the weather would be better today as I had other outdoors things to do but finally got the bike out around 3.30pm and went for a quick ride anyway.

gijoe1313
20th August 2006, 23:03
Sounds like you had a great ride! I guess its all in good fun to play tag with a truck and trailer unit that isn't involving aggro or anyone coming to grief! :innocent:

I can't wait till I get to punt around down your way (me being a Wellingtonian for the formative years of my life). I'm jealous - I didn't get to ride my two wheels of freedom today since I had to replace the front shock absorbers on my cage :sick: . Guess I will have to make it up later this week! :Punk:

Keep riding safely and have fun!

Beemer
21st August 2006, 11:43
You should have called in at our place for a cuppa on the way back - we're just north of Levin (you can get to our place from the road between Shannon and Levin) - I'd even baked a cake!

jeff
22nd August 2006, 19:30
Yum!!!cake too!

Let us know when you are baking the next one and we'll be round with several dozen other KB'ers - got enough room up your driveway for us all???

Nah! just joking we won't tell anyone else!

We go up that way about once a month - the rest of the time we are round the Wairarapa.

igor
22nd August 2006, 19:41
You should have called in at our place for a cuppa on the way back - we're just north of Levin (you can get to our place from the road between Shannon and Levin) - I'd even baked a cake!

can i stay for a couple of months