PDA

View Full Version : ((( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( H ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )))

skelstar
20th August 2006, 22:26
Wgtn - Auck - Hastings - Manfield - Wgtn

I had been meaning to get up to Auckland to see my sister as I had not seen her for a while. It had also been a long while since I had gone on a decent road trip and my feet were itchy. So I watched the weather and bank balance for while and both improbable events coincided with last Thurs/Fri/Sat. I planned to ride to Auck on Thurs, attend the Akl TNR, ride to Hastings on Friday to see my mates and their kids, ride to Manfeild on Sat to watch the KBers race, and home again in time for crumpets and tea, what ho!!! (actually the All Blacks game)

Thursday - Auckland
Early Thurs morning I left my folks place on the Kapiti Coast. With my homemade heated handlebar grips to 'Magma' (they are always switched ON) I headed up the Coast and on through to Sanson. I remember little of the trip up but soon was trying to find my way through the backblocks of Feilding. I was determined to find a way onto the Vinegar Hill road without traversing Feilding itself. I managed to find cop driving through the twisty stuff. He was going suspiciously slow, so I overtook him in a fairly tight section, in an equally suspicous manner. Spent the next couple of kms engrossed in my rear-vision mirror. A stop at Taihape for pies, minidonuts (mmm) and a Long Black...and gas.

The next coupla-hundred was spent overtaking cars and not attracting any attention from the righteous disco boys. Taumaranui through to 3mile junction promised to be the second highlight of the day. I decided that I could afford to give it a bit of a nudge along this stretch as there is some really nice sweepers and hairpins along there, including my favourite from a few trips back with V. I did notice a white comodore in a layby when I was halfway through a speed compliant corner. He obviously wasn't interested. Lucky eh. Last act on that road was to creatively pass the works truck with the 'pass with care' sign on the back. Goddamn I wished I could wheelie at that moment.

When I got to Te Kuiti I checked my cellphone, gassed up, pie'd up (I think) and headed for Otorohanga and onto Whatawhata. For some reason I thouhg that I had too much time :weird: so diverted to Raglan. The road out to Raglan were great. The first half was awesome (thats right V) but I was unfortunatley held up by traffic. I had previously read Raglan ride reports and Boomer had mentioned/promised bikini comps and the like. Needless to say August is not competition season. I was still disapointed. I blame you Boomer. I got over my disapointment, found somewhere cool to take a photo of my ride and gassed up, drink. No pie. Set off for Te Uku and SH22.

I had solicited advice on the lower end of SH22 and was assured that the road had '4km or gravel'. The road was typical 22 until the gravel. About 2kms later I was on seal again wondering why the gravel was so short. I found myself tipped over midway through the corner when I spied the second gravel section. Shiiiiiittt!!! I just had enough time to get the bike upright before two wheels quickly became no-wheels. I carried on my rendezvous point at the Waingaro Junction (I think).

Firefight and I had arranged to meet up here and F/F would show the way, and help me transition into Auckland. As soon as I got there and found there was no cellphone coverage (no kidding) I wondered if it was a stupid place to meet and time was getting short. After 10mins of waiting and some clever stick arranging to indicate my presence and departure direction, I headed north. No more than 5mins up the lovelly wide sweeping corners a couple of blue R6s came sailing around the bend. After intros with F/F and Motoracer the blue two roared off with me in lukewarm pursuit. A photosession or two later I was lead out on to the Sthn Motorway. Cheers for the ride guys.

There wasn't enough time to see my sister that night (in Western Springs) so I carried on through to the Akl TTNR. Met some new faces, some old faces, Inline4!!! Good to see Zed, The Rider Formerly Known as Custard, Gareth (recently been outted apparently), and 6pk amongst others!!! I struggled along in the dark, had a bit of a yarn at the Speights Ale House, got lost getting out of Albany (who doesnt), and caught up with my sister. A bloody long day. At 9pm I worked out I hadnt been off my bike for more than 1/2 hour since 8am that morning. 850kms apparently.

[more to come...with photos!!!]

skelstar
20th August 2006, 22:30
Friday - Hastings
The previous night Keystone19 and I had planned that we would ride down SH22 and I would depart via Kihikihi. I had also noted the previous night that my hands were a bit sore. I put this down to being in gloves all day. The next morning I noticed that my palms had blistered and realised it had actually been my homemade heated grips that had burnt my hands. They get quite hot when youre in traffic and not using the clutch or brakes too often. I might just have to be a bit smarter about cooling my hands down from time to time ;).

So anyway, I woke to find my hands blistered (yeah yeah) and that it was super foggy outside. I got my shit together and sat out on the street at 8:30am ready to flag KS down. We decide that 22 may not be a good idea and head off to Clevedon for breakfast. Pancakes, bacon and coffee prepare us for a nervous ride through the damp dark corners of the hunua Range. Kawakawa Bay is amazing, I regret not stopping to take some photos but its going to be another long day. Up through the twisty bits behind KK Bay I know KS is a bit nervous about her dodgy tyres and Im plotting her demise. Im about to overtake when I remember the last time I was up here in Aucks and had been considering the same move...I had held back and found Lazy7 in the ditch having slipped on pine needles. So this time I knew fate was luring me in again, and sure enough the next corner was covered in pea-gravel, moss, and it was wet :shit:. We continue on to Kaiaua where we go our separate ways. Cheers Jill for the ride. Lovelly to ride with you again.:bye:

Its beautiful and sunny at this point and Im riding along some fairly boring roads through to Ngatea, Paeroa and Te Aroha. All the while Im passing lots of Comobores and Falcons that all seemed to have kids that would go nuts when a I pull up behind them in the queue. I oblige with a very quick passing manouvre....well its the only way I can make the journey a bit more interesting without infringing...much.

Its fog central now. I've been recommended a farm road that runs down the side of the Kaimais...its 'very scenic' apparently. Its a great little road with some really fast straight sections but its very hard to see anything. Im riding mostly by GPS now and it feels like Im in the middle of a John Carpenter movie. While Im deliciously lost I eventually find my way down towards Te Poi, Selwyn, and Tapapa. I remember a section of this road as being sensational. Smooth-as, wide-as, fast-as. This leads on to the road from Tapapa through to Rotorua. A great road that is negotiated at a reasonable clip. Not too many trucks and cars pull over constantly. There is an awesome little area called 'Fitzgerald Glade' or something. Its a enclosed coridor of trees and reminds me of the West Coast of the Sth Island. Just awesome. Im in Rotorua for a pie/gas combo and quickly depart for Taupo.

Im planning to head around the back road towards Reporoa but I think I took an early turn off and get a bit lost. I do have GPS but while it has the town names and major roads loaded, it doesnt have the minor roads. Im on SH5 again and dont realise for a couple of kms. Oh well, Ill be in Taupo real soon. F*ck thats a boring road though. A precautionary gas up in Taupo and Im hoping to make Hastings by 3:30pm. Its going to be tight but the long straight and wide roads shortly after Taupo make this more viable. Im having a blast along these roads. These previously briefly visited speeds are becoming more common place which makes my goal that much easier. Whoever says that these Hornets are a boring bike need their head checked (lbtw). Plenty of sphincter moments as it seems an inordinate number of comodores are traversing the country today, particularily in the opposite direction, and white in hue.

Im maintaining a great pace and make Bay View in good time. A frustrating ride through the Napier Express road is difficult having been used to my bike singing like it had over the Nap-Taupo road. Tired and relieved I pull into my mates place in Hastings. I made it with time to spare and am immediately harrased into shooting hoops with his five children. Needless to say I didnt last long that night. I dont know if I was more stuffed from the days riding or the boisterous afternoon/evening with the kids.

Saturday - Manfeild/Wgtn
I left as earlish. Pied up and gased up and headed for the Tikokino road. A nasty westerly is making the sweet climb up throught the hills quite tricky. Having been brought up in the windy Takas Im not too worried but the wind does make passing tricky along SH2 however Dannevirke and Woodville turn up eventually. My previous days pace makes it difficult for me to temper the throttle again. It feels like Im crawling along, but at least its safe!!! :niceone:. Manawatu Gorge is fun, as is the backroad from Ashurst through to Feilding and then Manfeild. A fantastic day cheering on the KBers that were racing but I was never going to last long. I wanted to get back to Wgtn to watch the ABs play at 5pm. The ride from Manf to Wgtn is boring,and windy. Nuff said.

Well I was pleased to be home. I was exhausted and slept for 12 hours that night. I realise that while I prefer to ride with others I quite enjoy riding on my own. I tend to put too much emphasis on how I ride compared to my peers so it was good to perform on my own terms. I was lucky with the weather, there were few surprises (despite a stick in my line on the Nap-Taupo rd), and no 'oh-shit' moments to speak of...but then I wasn't chasing anyone :shutup:.

It was bloody good to meet new folk and catch up with the old folk ;) as thats whats its all about eh?

ps: sorry Yungatart and MSTRS that I didnt make it to yours.

Photos:
1. Arrow at Waingaro Juction.
2. Poor poos's bike.
3. My bike at Raglan...cool photo locale huh? 'H' for 'Hornet'.
4. Team Piston Broke (mikey not present)
5. My bike at BP Taupo...not sure why, just looked cool.
6. Motoracer on SH22.

boomer
20th August 2006, 22:51
man you put the miles in !!!:Punk: :Punk: Nice write up and good to see you showing the rest of us what its all about!

Ps.. i told the lass's at Raglan you were on ya way, so they spent the day at Kornholio's gaff ( he's gay so they were safe ) :yes:

Sorry i missed ya !!

skelstar
21st August 2006, 11:44
Oh yeah. Green for the first person to tell me what the thread title is about.

Firefight
21st August 2006, 11:57
Friday - Hastings

6. Motoracer on SH22.

Hey Sean,

great write up man, It was good to meet you , glad you had a safe trip, only one correction, photo 6 is that of Motoracer sporting the new "Fight Club" uniform, (hoody) which is soon to become standard issue to all FC members.

F/F

Keystone19
21st August 2006, 12:14
Great write up Sean. Was fun riding with you again. Next time we'll do 22...:yes:

skelstar
21st August 2006, 12:50
Yeah the ride seemed somewhat short this time :).

Hitcher
21st August 2006, 13:15
Nice write-up, although you seem to have recalibrated the King Country. Good practice for a Grand Challenge...

skelstar
21st August 2006, 13:19
I was going so fast the eight miles felt like three :)

boomer
21st August 2006, 14:02
Hey Sean,

great write up man, It was good to meet you , glad you had a safe trip, only one correction, photo 6 is that of Motoracer sporting the new "Fight Club" uniform, (hoody) which is soon to become standard issue to all FC members.

F/F

Dave, be careful; if your looking to distinguish yourselves within the fightclub the hoodies will only confuse matters as the 'AMA', 'POT' and the 'flight club' aleady don hoodies.. :msn-wink: might i suggest 'wife beaters' for the F/F club :blip:

The_Dover
21st August 2006, 14:20
or how about matching red underpants?

worn over leathers of course.

Rossi Gal
21st August 2006, 16:22
Oh yeah. Green for the first person to tell me what the thread title is about.

'H' for 'Hornet'??

Cool write up too!! sounds like you had a wicked neat ride!!! :)

skelstar
21st August 2006, 16:30
*Naaaaaarrr* wrong answer.
Cheers though...

Clue: it has a lot to do with the reason I could go on the trip in the first place.

Kendog
21st August 2006, 17:13
Great write up as always and nice pics, especially the one on thats on your own personal bike pad.

Is the title showing the new tread on your tires?

skelstar
21st August 2006, 17:30
Cheers, but no.

Kendog
21st August 2006, 17:33
Is that a magnetic tank bag? There doesn't look to be much contact with the tank.
Or is it one of those attach to the petrol tank thingies?

jahmin
21st August 2006, 19:17
Sounds like a good trip - does the title refer to the large high over the country at the time? The brackets look like isobars...

TerminalAddict
21st August 2006, 19:21
how about maybe the doppler effect created by a fast moving hornet? :D

skelstar
21st August 2006, 19:31
While TA's description has merit, lots, jahmin's one is the intended. Green awarded.

RantyDave
21st August 2006, 19:33
attention from the righteous disco boys.
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Skelstar again :)

Dave

TerminalAddict
21st August 2006, 21:11
I really must learn to proof read before posting

edit the above post so it makes sense

skelstar
21st August 2006, 21:26
Yeah I thought it wasnt quite right :) but chose not to mention it as to not draw any attention :).

Keystone19
22nd August 2006, 09:31
There appear to be some very strong winds in your high Sean!

Are you trying to tell us something?

skelstar
22nd August 2006, 09:44
Youre looking at the weather map from too far away.;)

It was bloody windy on Sat, couldnt have much fun in the twisty bits just out of Hastings. Gutted.