PDA

View Full Version : F650GS & Transalp

What?
21st August 2006, 06:37
Following on from another thread, to those who have owned both, how about some comparisons? F'rinstance, difference in gas consumption, seat comfort, vibration, service costs etc.
I think the early F650 was, in many ways, a better bike than the new - the 94 model I had was silky-smooth; the GS vibrates. The 94 idled nicely; the GS doesn't chain snatch at low revs. The 94 had a comfortable seat; the GS is a pain in the arse. Otherwise I do like the GS, but interesting comments thus far from former GS & now Transalp owners...

sels1
22nd August 2006, 15:43
I think the early F650 was, in many ways, a better bike than the new .

Yeah I would go along with that. I had a 94 and on a couple of occasions had rides on the later model - hired on when down south one time - and wasnt that impressed

Transalper
22nd August 2006, 18:34
Following on from another thread, to those who have owned both, how about some comparisons? F'rinstance, difference in gas consumption, seat comfort, vibration, service costs etc.
I think the early F650 was, in many ways, a better bike than the new - the 94 model I had was silky-smooth; the GS vibrates. The 94 idled nicely; the GS doesn't chain snatch at low revs. The 94 had a comfortable seat; the GS is a pain in the arse. Otherwise I do like the GS, but interesting comments thus far from former GS & now Transalp owners...
2000F650GS Gas consumption was best i've ever had or seen, about 4litres every 100km. Seat hurt my tailbone at first but eventually got fairly used to it. Vibration was worst i've ever had on a road going bike. Service costs were well the worst i've had. Norma services were expensive with things like shims needed for valve clearances and throttle cables every 20000km and water pump kits every 33000km and a speedo that never worked properly and al the extra screws (if they hadn't fallen out already) to do simple things like change oil or check battery. Please don't make me go on. The bike was however fairly fun to ride on sealed roads but with that 19inch fat front wheel it's no where as much fun as prehaps a Dakar might have been or infact my Transalp is.

The 1996 Trasalps gas consumption is good/average not sure exact figures, just know that when group riding and filling at the stops it's one of the better bikes in the group but nothing like the F650 which constantly made me smile at the pump. Unfortunate the rest of F650 costed more than i saved there. My bum seems happier in Honda seats and loves the stock Transalp seat just as much as any. Vibration is well I haven't felt any yet. The Torque spread is well just great. It idles along nicely and pulls smoothly from there unlike poor PLUG who had to ride the clutch for our whole Lees Valley snow trip, I just left Transalp in gear and had a rolled along (ready of course to pull the leaver when needed but not often needed). Service Costs, are um, do it all your self , its quick and painless or half the cost at the shop (even with twice the cylinders). Although i hear the newer Transalp 650's may be a little more involved. And it feels like it has more presance on road, my partner loves the Transalp but hated the F650. but she also loved the CBR1000F for road touring even more.
Fuel and service costs aside i'm afraid the rest becomes just another opinion.

My old 600cc Transalp fuel consumption on sealed open roads with some twisty hill work hooning is about 20km/litre

bgd
23rd August 2006, 07:44
Had a 2001GS for a year. First bike and I had a lot of fun. Comfortable and good on long trips. But servicing costs were high, had constant problems with the electrics and head bearing needed replacing after 30k (miles). I was pretty happy until I took the 1150 for a test ride and realised there were better things out there. Not sure of costs in NZ but it isn't worth the usual BMW premium.

If I ever get back to NZ I'll get another 650 but it won't be the GS. Probably a KLR or Transalp.

Oscar
23rd August 2006, 12:32
I had a 2001 F650GSD.
Great road bike, mediocre elsewhere.
The GS1150/1200, whilst heavier, are better all round adventure bikes.

I've ridden the Honda and have to say that the Transalp is far superior.

Ruralman
23rd August 2006, 22:08
Hi, I'm just back from a trip up to canterbury including out to Akaroa - went up on Monday all the way to Akaroa and it was bloody wet for the second half of the trip I can tell you. I will do a separate ride write up with pics etc. The fuel consumption was something I was pretty keen to work out properly.
I filled up 3 times.
The load on the bike was me, 100kg before getting dressed, the largest topbox you can fit on it which was full and probably weighed10-15kg, plus a tank bag with camera,lunch and some paper work.
I haven't got a radar detector on the bike and was pretty keen not to collect another ticket or more importantly the acompanying demerit points - so speed was generally between 105-110 except when passing or a car could be followed that provided a screen and was travelling faster than that.
The first section from home to a fill in Timaru (284km) did 19km/litre. It was the most disciplined as far as speed went.
After this it got bloody wet but the trip included the back road to Leeston which I assumed was cop free, and the blast over the port hills which was tempered because of the conditions. I filled up this morning on the way back when I got to taiTapu - 293km @ 18km/litre. I then topped up in Oamaru so I didn't have to fill up again on the way home - 256km @ 18.2km/l and average speed more like 110km/hr
That gives a pretty good real world test. Not as good as an injected F650, and the new V Strom 650's are meant to average around 20km/litre so they're pretty good too and also injected. Probably a 650 4 cylinder would be more economical driven at these speeds - but then there is a reason the Transalp is a twin - very torquey, very smooth, and very predictable which is a big plus when you ride through the shit I went through on Monday.
Vibrations????- what are they?
Seat - I've just done 2 500km days without any ill effects. Having said that I'm 6ft1in and I find that in my favoured riding position the back of my bum is pushed up against the lip in the seat where it rises for the pillion's perch - this is a bit of a pain and I would actually prefer a flat seat.
I'm about 1000km away from my first service since i've owned this bike - Honda says every 10,000km but I'm going to do this one at about 7000 and then probably go out to 10k

What?
24th August 2006, 06:30
Thanks for the repiles, guys.
The fuel usage sounds like what I would have expected (same as my 94 F650).
Interesting comments on servicing the GS - I found both my F650's to be very reasonable to service, and the 94 didn't need a shim replaced until the 90,000K service. And then it was only one shim. BMW parts prices also seemed to be (over all) on a par with the jappers.

Ruralman
24th August 2006, 11:02
Yeah I would go along with that. I had a 94 and on a couple of occasions had rides on the later model - hired on when down south one time - and wasnt that impressed

I see you have a Triumph tiger - I've always liked the look of these but they were out of the price range I was prepared to spend when I went buying. What is it like on fuel??

What?
30th August 2006, 06:21
Well, I took a brand spankin new Transalp for a short ride yetserday, and despite the engine being tighter than a busload of scotsmen, and the brakes being, um, something I can't think of an analogy for right now, I have to say that at first blush I liked it. Might have to go back when it has been run in and take it out for a decent ride...

oldrider
30th August 2006, 11:33
Well, I took a brand spankin new Transalp for a short ride yetserday, and despite the engine being tighter than a busload of scotsmen, and the brakes being, um, something I can't think of an analogy for right now, I have to say that at first blush I liked it. Might have to go back when it has been run in and take it out for a decent ride...

There is a TransAlp on Tardme with 4000km, used to be Hondas demo bike, so it says.
Have a good look around there are some good buys to be had.
I have got mine almost how I want it now and like it more every time I ride it.
Bought it at 7000km now got 41000km on it still using the same plugs, starts easy, doesn't miss a beat.
Suspect it could have been a hire bike before I got it, may have done more Km but who cares I like what I bought. Cheers John.

Mooch
30th August 2006, 22:15
After Oldriders opinions my wife and I highed a couple of transalps in Argentina, our tour guide also had one.
The bikes mileage varied between 30,000 & 60,000 km
With the 3 bikes and 13,000 kms across them the only issue one bike had was a loose chain guard. These bikes were fully loaded with 3 hard bags / riders and lots of gravel roads (on a good day). What I liked was the riding position and it's ability to be comfortable all day weather it be 200 kms of hard gravel / trial riding or 600 kms of tarseal. My hirer bike which had 60,000 km at the end still felt like new. Highly recommended

What?
31st August 2006, 06:30
There is a TransAlp on Tardme with 4000km, used to be Hondas demo bike, so it says.
I have seen that one - was their demo. They have 12 grand on it, but I reckon they would take 11 cash.