PDA

View Full Version : Cold Kiwi - Adventure Riders Unite

Zukin
21st August 2006, 10:44
Hey all

As mentioned in the Cold Kiwi thread, Clint640 is organising a bit of a ride on the Saturday.

I'm planning to rock on down Friday night. On Saturday I'll be going for a wee ride down Field's track or thereabouts to Wanganui for breakfast (or lunch depending on the amount of Stone's consumed the night before...), then back up the Whanganui River Rd. Zukin will probably come along on his XR250 so we'll be cruising at n00b speed.

Anybody interested shoot me a PM with yer ph# & on Fri night we'll decide on a departure time from the gate & send a txt.

Cheers
Clint

Who else is going to Cold Kiwi?
I am also heading over on Friday, probably over the Annie :yes:

See you there
Scott

Wolf
21st August 2006, 23:11
I'll be there - probably walking like John Wayne, having just spent the day on the XT's seat.

Lias is heading down, too.

Zukin
22nd August 2006, 08:58
I'll be there - probably walking like John Wayne, having just spent the day on the XT's seat.

Lias is heading down, too.

Ditto to that!!! :yes:

Is there a KB camp area as such, or do we just find somewhere when we arrive? :mellow:

Wolf
22nd August 2006, 10:05
Ditto to that!!! :yes:

Is there a KB camp area as such, or do we just find somewhere when we arrive? :mellow:

So far as I can determine, it's "first in, best dressed" - you turn up and pitch your tent where there's room. I seriously doubt the organisers would allow earlier arrivals to "reserve" camping spots for their mates.

I'm planning on getting a KB sticker for the bike so it'll stand out amongst all the hordes of other 1993 XT225's at the event and I guess we just arrive when we arrive and wander around the place until we see each other.

I guess there'll be clumps of KBers dotted around the area as the various groups and individuals who're going will get there at different times.

Lias and I are heading down with another friend of mine (a veteran of the Cold Kiwi event), leaving Hamilton fairly early Friday morning (got the day off work), take in the scenery on the way, have a bit of an explore - I'm REALLY gonna be walking like John Wayne. Or I'll be a dab hand at this "standing on the pegs" stuff...

I've really got to get to work on customising my bike so it sticks out at events.

Also decent load-carrying mods would be a help.

Zukin
22nd August 2006, 10:33
I thought that would be the case about the camping, the early bird gets the biggest worm.
Any suggestions on where not to camp?

I have also ordered my KB Sticker for the bike, but then again I dont imagine too many XR250s will make the trip :laugh:

For those interested in going on the ride on Saturday, could you PM Clint640 here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=1317) and provide him with your cell number, he will then txt you the time to meet at the gate an :yes:

clint640
22nd August 2006, 10:52
Last time I was there I camped in the trees where it's a bit more sheltered. If you arrive on Friday there's usually a good choice of sites.

Cheers
Clint

Wolf
23rd August 2006, 18:09
Ticket has arrived, sticker ordered and, despite three or four shifts since I last went camping, I know where my tent, sleeping bag, pack, first aid kit and most of my camping gear is (certainly all the essentials) - so I figure I'm doing pretty well. Now, if only I could find my tool kit...

Normally I pack the night before but I'm making sure I know where everything is well in advance (because of those aforementioned shifts).

Zukin
23rd August 2006, 20:07
You forgot about the liquor :laugh: :laugh:
That will be the first thing in my bags!!:yes:

Wolf
23rd August 2006, 20:18
You forgot about the liquor :laugh: :laugh:
That will be the first thing in my bags!!:yes:
It'll probably be a very "dry" run for me - I'll be reserving my money for petrol and food. Also I'm not a great fan on drinking when there's a chance I might want to jump on the bike and ride somewhere.

Zukin
28th August 2006, 22:26
I am still waiting for my tickets to arrive???:shit:
I hope they turn up soon??

I will be leaving here at about 11.00am so see you all there

Cheers

clint640
29th August 2006, 08:47
Having a bit of a look at the topomap last night. We could actually follow the Whangaehu river from the rally site right down to the sea, then head into Wanganui for brunch & carry on up the River road, a beer at Raetihi then back to the rally.

Turakina valley road looks interesting too - the Turakina river could also be followed from the mountains to the sea via some interesting roads.

Cheers
Clint

Pickle
29th August 2006, 20:36
River road is good, just watch for the locals as they own the road, Turakina valley rd entering from Tangiwai is interesting pretty tight & winding.
Went to the rally last year via Paraparas & Fields track (all sealed ) which is probably the way we will go this year, decide on the day. Keep an eye out for 2 army green KLR250's that will be me & the wife.
Will be leaving from Shell Mana on Sat morning around 8am, cruising speed on KLR's approx 100 to 110kmh if anyone wants to join us

Wolf
29th August 2006, 22:00
Had the XT apart on the weekend and the tank is now rust-free. I took the opportunity to "assault" the plastics as well, so keep an eye out for an "unmarked" (except for "YAMAHA" on the seat and mudflap) XT225 with a badly-painted black tank; black mudguards, headlamp cowl and disk-brake cover; white side covers and air scoops and a Kiwi Biker sticker on the front mudguard. If time and budget had permitted, I'd've got my custom decals but they'll have to wait for the next rally...

froggyfrenchman
30th August 2006, 16:19
Hi guys, myself and a few other kbers are going to camp in the trees just as you enter the grounds. You come down the drive, and the track splits around some pines, we will be under said trees.

See you all there

Zukin
30th August 2006, 18:20
Hmmmm :shit:
My ticket has still not arrived???
If it doesnt arrive tomorrow, I take it that means they didnt recieve the entry form?
Do those paying at the gate have to fill in an entry form?

I hope I dont get charged twice?? :angry:

Cheers Scott

Wolf
30th August 2006, 18:24
If it doesnt arrive tomorrow, I take it that means they didnt recieve the entry form?

Cheers Scott
Dude, I hope that it gets resolved, I'd hate for you to have to pay twice. Did you pay by bank cheque? As in: money already debited from your account before you even post the application?

Zukin
31st August 2006, 16:02
Well the ticket didnt arrive today :(
But it appears the money hasnt been taken either
What sort of food tents do they have there?
Is there plenty available?

Cheers Scott

clint640
31st August 2006, 16:06
There's heaps of food available, burgers, chips etc. Bring a mug.

Cheers
Clint

sels1
31st August 2006, 16:16
Hi guys, myself and a few other kbers are going to camp in the trees just as you enter the grounds. You come down the drive, and the track splits around some pines, we will be under said trees.

See you all there

Same spot as last year eh? hopefully no-one beats us to it.
I'll be on a blue tiger with a kb sticker on the topbox (passenger side)

Bonez
31st August 2006, 16:16
Any suggestions on where not to camp?
Next to the camp fires, in the booze/events tent or in the creek.

Zukin
31st August 2006, 18:38
Sweet
See you all there :)

Weather looks good, company looks even better.

Cheers Scott

PLUG
1st September 2006, 08:30
Have a good weekend & a safe ride guys.

far queue
1st September 2006, 09:20
yeah ditto, have fun :ride:

clint640
6th September 2006, 09:24
Fun was had :yes:

Report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3211291#post3211291

Cheers
Clint

Roj
6th September 2006, 11:23
Nice to meet some of the KB group, have now signed up, just one more thing to occupy my time...

Wolf
6th September 2006, 12:57
Nice to meet some of the KB group, have now signed up, just one more thing to occupy my time...
Welcome to the KB gargre, Roj. I know you'd communte by bike if you didn't have to drive the work cage, now let's stick it to those sprots bike riders...

:devil2:

Just had to introduce you to the local idiom, Roj :D

PLUG
6th September 2006, 12:59
Choice write up Clint ... hows the shoulder.

clint640
7th September 2006, 08:54
Sweet now thanks. It wasn't my drinking arm or anything so not really serious.

Cheers
Clint

Wolf
7th September 2006, 10:47
Sweet now thanks. It wasn't my drinking arm or anything so not really serious.
:sweatdrop Whew, what a relief!

Glad your non-drinking arm is better now, too.

Zukin
7th September 2006, 21:28
Hey all

First chance I have had to say thanks to all those that I met at Cold Kiwi (it wasnt really that cold :laugh: )
It was a pleasure to meet you all and finally put some faces to some names (and I really loved that Tiger :yes: )
As Clint mentioned in an earlier post we took a small ride on the Saturday (you can read the trip report here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3211291#post3211291)

Here is some more pics of the ride that I took

Cheers All

Zukin
12th September 2006, 19:11

Cheers Scott

And I have paid twice!!! :gob:

I have been charged on my credit card on the 7th September (and never received the tickets), and because the tickets never arrived I paid the $35 at the gate..
I have sent them an email and heres hoping for a quick resolve :shit:

Wolf
12th September 2006, 19:35
And I have paid twice!!! :gob:

I have been charged on my credit card on the 7th September (and never received the tickets), and because the tickets never arrived I paid the $35 at the gate..
I have sent them an email and heres hoping for a quick resolve :shit:

best of luck, bro. I got my money back for the pictures - full refund and the manager was very placatory and said they normally would phone up in the case of such obvious damage.

Here's hoping the Ruapehu MCC can see that the mistake had been made and refund you at least the $30 for the prepay if not the full $35 for the gate fee...

Did you wind up getting a badge at the gate, I forgot to ask.