PDA

View Full Version : VTEC vmcc Rnd 4 Report

vtec
21st August 2006, 22:28
Hi all

Well, I suppose most of you might have heard. I've got hold of an absolute beast of a Formula 2 bike. It's a 2003 CBR600RR with all sorts of goodies on it, and 111hp at the rear wheel. Was planning on giving it a race at this meeting, but it was not to be...

Me and dad left on Thursday night after work to head down to Taupo for the night before going the rest of the way to Feilding on Friday morning for the open track day, as I was keen to get on the 600 to see what it's like, and try and learn to ride the bastard. Got there about midday, and fluffed around trying to get some contact lenses on my eyeballs as I had finally decided that my eyesight was too dodgy to be hooning around the track at well over 200kph with limited depth perception.

Got the lenses on, and took the bikes to the track, signed up, and decided to start small by taking my little trusty streetstock (1990) CBR250RR out for a burn to get the track programmed back in my brain before going crazy on the F2 bike. Got out there, and felt pretty scared, as I hadn't been anywhere near that fast since the last race meeting about a month previous, and there will still a lot of dodgy areas on the track where there just wasn't much braking or cornering to be had. Wizzed around for a bit, started to settle in, and then after a bit they called us in so the cars could have a turn.

Now, I decided I would jump on the 600 for the next session, so I gave it a looking over. Checked and adjusted the tyre pressures, looked at the little oil window (plenty) topped up the gas, and warily hopped aboard my rocket, and waited for the call. I got out there, and took it easy for a lap to let the tyres and engine get some heat. Then I started to wind it up on the straights. I looked down, and noticed an indicated 250k/hr on the clock, holy crap. I think it must have been the gearing affecting the speedo, as it seemed rather close ratio, but it sure felt like 250k/hr, my very tight fitting helmet was being buffeted all over my head. Shooting along the back straight at great speed, I hit a few bumps just as I was getting on the brakes, and the force of the bumps caused me to lose my footing several times and kicked me out of the seat. The suspension was miles too hard, and caused me a few very scary moments when I way overshot the corners and nearly ran out of track to haul it up. Decided it was probably wise to start the braking at the end of the pit wall on the front straight for the moment, and that would give me a chance to learn how to corner the beast. At one stage, LooseBruce came wheeling past me on the infield straight, gave me the thumbs up. I had thought I was doing alright until Bruce came carving me up with such ease. Still I was extremely happy with how I handled my first ride on a TRUE race bike.

Bruce came over to me in the pits to have a chat about lines and tactics for brushing off speed using lean angle as opposed to brakes (which I found really helped me on the 250 on race day). But most importantly he had a look at my suspension setup. As suspected, nearly everything was wound to its maximum hardness. Bruce started by backing off all the front fork settings heaps, and then had a look at my rear suspension, and had a go at backing that off too. Discussed the fact that after getting on something with some decent power, he didn't give his ZXR250 any respect as the fear just disappeared after blasting around on a true rocket ship. I felt the same way, that the 250 just wouldn't be the same any more.

I did another 2 sessions of practice on the 600. Had Bruce blasting past me, and I think Craig Shirriffs was out there too making a mockery of me. The suspension was still way too hard, and lost my footing a few more times on the brakes going down the back straight, still I was having a blast, and it still handled alright in the corners, and I started getting the knee down for guidance, and powersliding out of the odd corner. I found that when you've got a lot more power, you don't need to keep as much corner speed, and you're better off tightening up your lines, so that you can come into the corners tight, and leave them tight so that you can get on the power early and drift wide out of the corners. Loved it, was truly an exhilarating experience, can't wait till I get the suspension sorted so that I don't have to fear the bike so much. Due to the extreme winds you get at those kind of speeds, my contact lenses played up a few times, and eventually one popped out, but with one eye still at 100% I still had really good vision, so it didn't affect me much. Apparently KickingZebra was chasing me around for quite a while, until I hit a bad patch on the brakes at the end of the front straight locked up a few times, and ended up shooting right to edge of the track, and only just stopping before the gravel trap... got lucky.

Out for a last blast on the 250, they said we had 30 minutes, but I didn't want to give the 250 a solid 30 minute thrashing just in case something went wrong, but I was still keen to get out there again. Sure enough, it felt like there was something wrong with the bike, as it just wasn't accelerating much into the headwind down the back straight. It just must have been that my perspective had completely changed after riding the 600 for quite a while. I found myself braking too early, and not using up the track on the exits, as the bike just didn't have the power that I was allowing for. But I soon retuned myself to it, felt that I was putting in some pretty sweet laps with a bit of knee sliding and tail sliding over bumps. Really gained a lot of confidence on the 250 in that last session and was just pumped for race day. What a difference some practice time the day before can make. A month off loses you more than just your edge. It can even cause you to lose your balls, and it takes a few decent thrashing sessions to get them back... Pumped

vtec
21st August 2006, 22:35
RACE DAY

Got up at about 6.15am, fiddled with the contacts till I got them in. Shoved some breakfast in, and got into the queue for the race track gate opening. Managed to get a pit near our normal spot over the back of the stables. Setup, went to sign in. Found out that the weren't allowing second entries on the day. Seems I misunderstood the "no entries on the day" message. I thought you just needed your initial entry in, and entering a second class was fine. Dissappointed that I wouldn't get a run on the 600, but it meant that I could focus on getting back my mojo on the 250. Still I got to have a short blast in the scrub in session on the 600 where nobody noticed, had fun blasting past a few of my fellow streetstockers and a few of the 125'ers that I'm friendly with. I'd just give them a wave as I roared past. That bike can sure make some noise.

Streetstock practice started well. I followed a small bunch of the 125 GP's out onto the track, and stuck with them for a while, catching up on the brakes and through the corners, before they got their slicks and engines properly warmed up, and they started to leave me behind, still I managed to keep up with a few by braking quite late, and following them through the corners. I managed to get some clear track for a couple of laps, and I felt that I'd put down at least one pretty hot lap. Was stoked to find that I'd done a personal best by at least 2 seconds of 1:28.750. And wasn't too far away from my goal of 1:26's. I had been told that I wouldn't get close, so it was looking very promising. I qualified just short of 3 second ahead of Glen Skachill (RG100) on his shiny but frankenstein looking KR150. Found out later that he was maxing out the revs very early along the straights. He's going to be a force once he gets that gearing sorted. Can't wait to see what he's got then.

Race one, thank god they let the 125's get a 10 or 15 second head start, so that me Glen and Neil didn't go wheeling through the near stationery 125's like usual. As it was, I got a mediocre start after adjusting my clutch lever, so I didn't do any wheeling, but used the superior torque of the 250 to get the holeshot. And held a tight line into the first corner. Got stuck in straight away. Went into a few corners too hot trying to gap Glenn from the start, but held it together. After a couple of laps, I caught up to one of the 125's (William Juggins), and passed him into a corner, but he passed me back on the straight. So I followed him around until we got to the sweeper at the end of the back straight, and just went around the outside of him, had a lot more pace on going onto the straight than him, so he didn't manage to pass me back. Managed to get a 9 second win over the stonking Skachill, and he was a further 10 seconds ahead of 3rd placed Neil, but was disappointed to only see 1:29's on the score card.

Watched Mikey and KickingZebra both bail within one minute of each other, when they were both in the lead in Clubmans. Bummed out, helped Mikey push his bike out of the gravel, he had a buggered leg, so they wouldn't let him out in the second race. Then I watched Bruce and Darryl and Anthony going nuts in F1. Brilliant. I'm just chomping at the bit to get out in F2 at the next meeting. Just going to learn up about suspension adjustment first.

Second race. Cruised around the warmup lap, lined up. Waited for the 125's to take off before we started. Then the green dropped, and I had another average launch, I guess there was just no pressure on me to get a flying start. Held the tight line into the hairpin again, went through the infield, and took a normal race line into the lefthander left myself open, but RG never came through. Tootled around for a bit keeping an eye on RG behind me, as it took a couple of laps to start opening a gap on him. He must have been riding the pants off his KR. I think the acceleration must be reasonable on it, but I know it was struggling for top speed due to the gearing being too low. I got more and more relaxed and started enjoying it more and more as the race progressed, and was starting to use the full potential of the tyres with it sliding a bit coming out of a few of the corners including the hairpin. Caught up to William on his 125 GP bike, and got him through the infield straight away, and made a lot of ground around the left hander onto the infield straight so that he didn't get the chance to pass me back along there. Looked back after a while to see RG having a tussle with him. Felt myself getting faster and faster, and fixing at least one thing a lap. After a few more laps, I was burning into the infield esses, and was just leaning into the apex of the right hander after the front straight hairpin, and all of a sudden there was a 125GP jammed up my inside. There was really no room for him, so he pushed me wide, and another one got through, they were obviously battling for the lead, so it was a desperate move to put me between them, but they both got through, I followed them round the left hander, and then the swinging right before the lefthand hairpin, and felt that I could easily stick with them, in fact I felt that they were holding me up in the corners, but then they just powered away down the straight. With me riding like this, I felt that I had surely got into the 1:26's. After another couple of laps, Leo on her GP125'er came past on the front straight, stuck right on her through the infield, but she blasted away on the straights, and I couldn't make up enough ground on the sweeper to get back in touch with her for the front straight on the next lap. After that I just had fun, saw the white flag, so I blasted out a pretty hot lap for the last one, and brought her home nice and safe. Still I had focussed mostly on my cornering, and not much at all on stretching my braking points, so I've still got plenty to improve in terms of braking, and cornering. I really liked Bruce's tactic of using lean angle to brush off speed into the sweeper, and am pretty sure that I gained a fair bit there, but can still gain a lot more on the sweeper. The sweeper, and the infield lefthand hairpin are two corners that you could spend all day on and never be quite happy with, but I felt that I was at least getting close.

So now, thanks to RG (Glenn) I've extended my lead over Neil to 13 points, a further 10 at the one meeting. The rest of the day, I spent watching the other racers. Very cool. Saw a few crashes, and talked with all the lads. Another brilliant day at the races. Certainly makes my life worth living.

Special thanks go to dad for motivating me to get down for the practice day the day beforehand, and helping out as my pitcrew, and just generally making it all possible for me.
To all the KB'ers down there, Mikey, Bert, RG100, LooseBruce, RaceyRider, Sugilite you guys were great. There were plenty more, but these were the ones I had most to do with. Great bunch... It's been emotional.

kiwifruit
21st August 2006, 22:51
awesome write up thanks vtec, felt like i was actully there! *sob*
:rockon:

sugilite
21st August 2006, 22:55
Primo race report Dude.
Will be good to see you riding in F2!
go team KB :Punk:

vtec
21st August 2006, 23:11
awesome write up thanks vtec, felt like i was actully there! *sob*
:rockon:

Thanks man. When are we going to have the pleasure of you out there? Round 6 at Taupo?

And cheers Sugilite.

Rossi Gal
22nd August 2006, 00:02
hey vtec!! awesome write-up!! glad you had wicked day..bummer you couldnt get out on the 6!! will look out for you next round on it :)

babyB
22nd August 2006, 02:03
cool write up vtec well done sounds like ya had a ball:Punk:

Racey Rider
22nd August 2006, 07:17
Mmmm, A Blue CBR600 ... :love:

It will be a nice change rather than seeing bright yellow at the front of F2 all the time! :yes:

The video camera will be ready for your first race on that beast.

sAsLEX
22nd August 2006, 09:42
Contacts shouldn't be falling out like that, make sure you get them in as early as possible before the race and wear them during the week to get used to them

loosebruce
22nd August 2006, 09:52
Mate a 1.27.1 aye, damn so close huh, next time for sure Jase.

Looking forward to seeing you improve on the 600 too, nice work. Keep it up :rockon:

k14
22nd August 2006, 10:25
Good stuff man.

In regards to suspension on the cbr. Track down the stock settings for the rebound and compression damping and set them to that. Also make sure the sag is set to the normal recommendation of a race 600. Thats the best place to start from.

Sketchy_Racer
22nd August 2006, 17:53
awesome Jason!!

Went to the bike shop today and ordered my sprokets.....

It seems we both have the same goal of a 1:26 lap huh?? Your just bit closer to getting it!!

Motoracer
22nd August 2006, 18:11
Awesome stuff dude!

Are you gonna race it in Taupo? The CBR I mean. For the last round of vic champs. I might make it to that, just to get back into race pace for Wanganui BOS.

Very nice write up too! :)

vtec
22nd August 2006, 20:08
Thanks all for the supportive comments.

Yes I will be racing the 600 at every meeting from now on. But will only have the last couple of VMCC rounds on the 250. Maybe if there is a PMCC race before November I might ride both the 250 and the 600.

texmo
24th August 2006, 21:08
Are you riding the 600 at all between races dude?

vtec
3rd September 2006, 02:08
No I'm not riding the 600 at all, but will hopefully get to open days the day before the races to get back my balls and skills and see how that goes.

SuperDave
3rd September 2006, 21:01
Good write up - it's actually the first time I've read one in its entirety.

I now know why you lost me so easily through that forest on the way back from Paeroa earlier this year.

The 600 looks shit hot too - all the best with it.