PDA

View Full Version : Starting a bike that hasn't been used for a few months

MrMelon
14th June 2004, 12:08
Is there an easy way to do it!?

I just got my cast off this morning, so I was going to go for a blast on the bike, but I can't kickstart it, and it wouldn't even crash start.

Any tips for getting it started? It's a 2 stroke btw.
Cheers.

Dr Bob
14th June 2004, 12:20
The biggest thing with a 2 stroke is to put in fresh petrol. Old stuff changes the timing, and in some bikes it can even get the engine going in reverse.

pete376403
14th June 2004, 12:21
Drain the gas from the carbs. Petrol is swill at the best of times, after a few months all the aromatics evaporate and whats left is not much better than turps.
(remember how in the old days putting gas on a fire to perk it up used to result in a satisfying "whump" but doing the same now just gets oily smoke and a bit of heat?)

FzerozeroT
14th June 2004, 12:29
Yank the plugs, give them a clean with a bit of folded sandpaper, set the gap, spray some ether down the holes (carb cleaner or aerostart) plugs back in, bobs yer uncle.

Or get two mates to push you round the block until it goes, they'd better be good mates by lap 5.

merv
14th June 2004, 12:43
Definitely drain the carbs and get fresh fuel into them and get your mates to start it for you.

Make sure the battery is well charged too so you haven't got weak ignition.

k14
14th June 2004, 12:48
Or get two mates to push you round the block until it goes, they'd better be good mates by lap 5.

That might not be the best idea, i have heard of 2 strokes cold siezing if not started right. Just be careful you don't try starting it for too long.

merv
14th June 2004, 12:50
I finally made 1,000 posts too - yippee!!

Ms Piggy
14th June 2004, 12:58
Aww noooo Glenn! I don't know what ya can do but you must be annoyed after all that time with the cast on & now ya can't get your leg over!

Hopefully you get it sorted soon so we can go for a blat :niceone:

mangell6
15th June 2004, 23:08
Remember that this is a TWO stroke, put some oil down the spark plug hole and kick the bike over. The purpose is to get the barrels and rings lubbed. Will smoke like a diesel in need of its injectors cleaning once it is going. Use your other leg to get the bike kicked over. Could try one of those rear wheel starters that the GP boys use.

MrMelon
16th June 2004, 14:30
Tried starting it again today and it started 2nd kick!
*shrug*

Motu
16th June 2004, 16:51
You just learnt the most important lesson about motorcycles - they are magic and respond to subtle inputs...what shoe did you put on first this morning? it could be important.

What?
16th June 2004, 19:14
Make sure your Mum's not around. There could be some awearing. LOTS of swearing...

Redstar
17th June 2004, 20:33
Remember that this is a TWO stroke, put some oil down the spark plug hole and kick the bike over. The purpose is to get the barrels and rings lubbed. Will smoke like a diesel in need of its injectors cleaning once it is going. Use your other leg to get the bike kicked over. Could try one of those rear wheel starters that the GP boys use. :msn-wink: I was looking for this advice it was the best. You got lucky not following this advice.
I picked up a XZ400 Yam from a garden that had stood for two years the owner let me have it for $200 said it was seized solid. and sure enough it was but turned out to be the rear brake seized. but stripped the motor anyway and found the cause of its abandonment the head v twin heads were crossed over and threw all the valve clearences asunder. You cant always assume it was running properly before it was dicarded can you? good luck with your project :mobile: