PDA

View Full Version : The extra weight feels good.

Squeak the Rat
22nd August 2006, 11:10
My rear suspension feels a little hard when I hit bigger bumps in the road. Other than that it feels reasonably ok and I have been happy with the current config. But I've just installed a pack rack and had about 10kg on the back in the weekend. It felt a lot more planted, a feeling that I want to keep. I'm a light fecker, 72kg.

Rear shock has preload and rebound adjustment.

Should I reduce the preload, reduce the rebound, all of the above, or none of the above?

Or should I simply eat more pies?

Cheers in advance.
Squeak.

bungbung
22nd August 2006, 11:17
pies, it's the only way

James Deuce
22nd August 2006, 11:30
Decrease the preload and increase the rebound. The standard rear shock deoesn;t have enough rebound damping, a stiff spring, and waaaay too much compression damping which you can't tune at all.

Go down to 3 on the preload and increase rebound to 4. If that still feels too harsh go to 2 on preload and 3 on rebound.

Better still, PM Shaun and get an rear Ohlins and some new fork springs.

Crisis management
22nd August 2006, 13:10
General disclaimer: I have no great knowledge of this stuff, but hell, neither have most of them in here:dodge:

Back any adjustable compression or rebound damping off as far as possible, adjust your spring preload for your load (you & whatever else, pies don't count as they pass thru). The suspension works best in its middle third of the stroke so adjust the spring so that in general it is working there.
Then fiddle with the damping to control the rate of stabilising the spring ie. to damp out the movement after it has compressed or extended.

Basically do the spring first then the damping... too much at one time and you will have no idea what is affecting what.

I know what you mean, I am 65kg and most suspension is set for fat bastards not skinny bastards!

Good luck

James Deuce
22nd August 2006, 14:20
Cirsis, I know what you are saying but I'm talking from experience with that shock.

The baseline settings are waaaay too hard, even for me at 95kg, and I fiddled a lot. I think the baselines I've suggested are a better starting point than making squeak chase his tail.

Crisis management
22nd August 2006, 14:28
Fair comment Jim, I wasn't trying to undermine your advice.
I was trying to stress the importance of understanding what your trying to achieve when you carry out mechanical adjustments, it's easy to start adjusting and end up confused and with a fucked up bike...I know I keep on doing it myself.:sick:

James Deuce
22nd August 2006, 14:28
Where's my pies?

Crisis management
22nd August 2006, 14:37
Where's my pies?

Pies....pies!

Skinny bastards don't do pies...

McJim
22nd August 2006, 15:03
Given the option between fucking about with pies and fucking about with suspension I always choose the area where my expertise is greatest.

Eat loads of pies to make the suspension work coz you can always do a shit to loose the weight again.

Squeak the Rat
22nd August 2006, 15:35
Cheers Jim, Crisis et al

it's easy to start adjusting and end up confused and with a fucked up bike...I know I keep on doing it myself.:sick:
Rule #'s 1,2,3,4 and 5. Write down where you started and each change you make. That way you can go back to a known checkpoint....

Jim, I'll try your recommendation in the weekend. Trying to avoid having to spend too much moolah at the moment (going diving in vanuatu in 2 weeks :yes: )

I worked on the Pie's over lunch. Sorry, none left every one....