PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha XT660X (Tard)

FlangMasterJ
22nd August 2006, 15:44
Anyone have any experience on this little number?

Will be doing mostly commuting and inner city galavanting.

I know reliability wise the XT's have always been hard to beat. All I'm worried about is the power......will I get bored with it after a while?

Ghost Lemur
22nd August 2006, 18:55
Hellraiser has one, see his thread here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32406&highlight=XT600).

Hellraiser
22nd August 2006, 20:12
I know reliability wise the XT's have always been hard to beat. All I'm worried about is the power......will I get bored with it after a while?

Trust me you will not get bored with it ....... I love riding it more than my 636 but i don't enjoy commuting on it.

FlangMasterJ
22nd August 2006, 22:09
but i don't enjoy commuting on it.

Why so?:yes:

Wolf
24th August 2006, 19:27
Why so?:yes:
Hellraiser's review is here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33319). It explains what he doesn't like about commuting on it.

Some suggestions were advanced by various people.

FlangMasterJ
24th August 2006, 20:08
Cheers Wolf.

Now I understand what he's getting at. I used to find myself having to feather the clutch in first in traffic on my KTM tard. Very frustrating.

I'm unable to take the XT for a test ride because I still have 3 months to go on my Restricted. Which is also frustrating because I spent a week thrashing my mates KTM950SM and know I can pretty much handle any size bike.

Oh well I'll keep everyone posted.

Ghost Lemur
24th August 2006, 22:22
Man, I still cry over your KTM. Was truely a thing of beauty.

For some commuting fun, thought of a Tricker? j/k hehehe

What's sort of budget you looking at? Considered the Aprilia SVX? Supposed to be a total weapon.

See here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LT3DqzKQo)

FlangMasterJ
25th August 2006, 08:01
Thanks alot.

I'm looking at spending roughly $10,000 so the Aprilia SXV's a little out of my price range. But not to worry my friend who had the 950SM has a SXV550 coming very soon.:Punk:

I'm pretty keen on either the XT or LC4. Both bulletproof engines and from what I have read a hell of a lot of fun.

Hardest part about getting a new bike will be the paranoia of getting it nicked. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Ghost Lemur
25th August 2006, 08:45
Thanks alot.

I'm looking at spending roughly $10,000 so the Aprilia SXV's a little out of my price range. But not to worry my friend who had the 950SM has a SXV550 coming very soon.:Punk:

I'm pretty keen on either the XT or LC4. Both bulletproof engines and from what I have read a hell of a lot of fun.

Hardest part about getting a new bike will be the paranoia of getting it nicked. I don't want to have to go through that again.

I know exactly what you mean. Found the garage back door open Tuesday night. All I could picture was a bikeless garage. Thankfully it was still there. So I've started riding to work. Even though where I'm parking outside work has a cctv camera pointing straight at it I'm still paranoid and go down every break to check on it.

far queue
25th August 2006, 09:25
Even though where I'm parking outside work has a cctv camera pointing straight at it I'm still paranoid and go down every break to check on it.Now you just have to worry about "work mates" hopping on for a try out :whistle:

Wolf
25th August 2006, 09:45
I'm pretty keen on either the XT or LC4.
Am I to gather, since the XT's still in the running, that you don't foresee any problems commuting on it?

You're right about the reputation for being bulletproof. I hope the seat on the larger XT's is more comfortable than the one on the 225, though.

FlangMasterJ
25th August 2006, 13:31
Their should be no problem at all commuting on it unless I've missed something.

James Deuce
25th August 2006, 13:39
I am acquainted with a couple of blokes in Wellington who have bought them for commuting and LOVE them. You can tangle bars with SUV mirrors, but we all know that it is easy to remove the mirror if you can't make it past.

Wolf
25th August 2006, 13:49
Their should be no problem at all commuting on it unless I've missed something.
It's a matter of what you're used to, I suspect, and what adaptations you make. Its power profile and handling are different to other bikes, but that's the same across the board. If I were to jump on a super sport and attempt to commute on it, I'd expect that it would feel "wrong" and I'd have to make adjustments to my riding style.

I've gone from commuting on a Suzuki LS400 (cruiser) to a 225cc Enduro - the power and engine braking on the XT are both more aggressive than the LS and it's a damned sight more manoeuvrable. Obviously, I cannot ride the XT like I rode the LS and I have had to learn the ways of the XT. If I went back the other way, I'd probably get in a power of shit trying to convince the LS - with it's long wheelbase and long rake - to corner like I do on the XT.

You learn, you adapt, you find new ways of tackling the same old corners and you have a lot of fun - can't ask for anything more, really.

Ixion
25th August 2006, 15:09
Am I to gather, since the XT's still in the running, that you don't foresee any problems commuting on it?

You're right about the reputation for being bulletproof. I hope the seat on the larger XT's is more comfortable than the one on the 225, though.

Fiv hours the other weekend, no problems. Only comfort issue is that the upright position and no fairing, wind gets a bit annoying over around 130ish. Seat's fine.

slowpoke
27th August 2006, 20:12
Hmmmm, been looking at supermoto's for a while now and had a quick peek at the specs of these things. I don't know how they've done it but they have managed to cram an awful lot of weight into a supposedly basic bike and given it bugger all motor (hp) to push it around. Each to there own, but for my money the KTM LC4 or Husky 610 look like far more versatile options for commuting and/or dual purpose duty.

FlangMasterJ
28th August 2006, 09:16
Hmmmm, been looking at supermoto's for a while now and had a quick peek at the specs of these things. I don't know how they've done it but they have managed to cram an awful lot of weight into a supposedly basic bike and given it bugger all motor (hp) to push it around. Each to there own, but for my money the KTM LC4 or Husky 610 look like far more versatile options for commuting and/or dual purpose duty.

It's not about outright power but how the power is made.

The LC4 is probebly the way to go. Not too sure about the Husky's reliability. If I had the dosh I would go for a KTM 640 SMC.

clint640
28th August 2006, 12:46
It's not about outright power but how the power is made.

Yup, but according to my bro who took an XT660 for a spin the other day it didn't make enough for a 1st gear power wheelie & was pretty uninspiring next to my KTM. I thought they were kinda neat 'til I heard that...

In my not very knowledgeable, baised opinion the KTM 640 SM is the best 'everyday' motard. There was an '03 in the bikemart a while back for $8500 IIRC.

Cheers
Clint

FlangMasterJ
28th August 2006, 13:13
didn't make enough for a 1st gear power wheelie & was pretty uninspiring next to my KTM

That's the general feeling I'm getting. KTM it is then.:yes:

Had any reliability issues with the LC4 Clint?

clint640
28th August 2006, 15:19
That's the general feeling I'm getting. KTM it is then.:yes:

Had any reliability issues with the LC4 Clint?

30 000 km now, no major problems, & very few minor ones. Apart from regular maintenance stuff all I've had to do is replace a leaky $6 countershaft seal & reseal the cam cover onto the head with some yamabond, both were minor seep issues rather than dump all the oil majors. It's done some work now too, from trail rides through loaded up long distance adventure tours to balls out on the rev limiter roadracing & trackdays. Treat 'er good & she'll love ya right back.

Cheers
Clint

Hellraiser
28th August 2006, 17:16
Yup, but according to my bro who took an XT660 for a spin the other day it didn't make enough for a 1st gear power wheelie & was pretty uninspiring next to my KTM. I thought they were kinda neat 'til I heard that...

In my not very knowledgeable, baised opinion the KTM 640 SM is the best 'everyday' motard. There was an '03 in the bikemart a while back for $8500 IIRC.

Cheers
Clint

There is not that much differance between the models the KTM has only 5Hp more but has less torque and only a 15kg weight differance.

Does your bro know how to pull a wheelie? cause i can get my front wheel up and i'm 140kg.

and lastly the KTM is just FUGLY ...... sorry

I even found an orange XTX to compare it with .......... lol

warewolf
28th August 2006, 19:18
There is not that much differance between the models the KTM has only 5Hp more but has less torque and only a 15kg weight differance.We're you getting your numbers from??

XT660X (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/motor/prod_detail.asp?MD_ID=246&modelcatid=2) (or .jp (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/motorshow/html/museum/mc/05/index.html)) vs. 640SM (http://www.ktm.at/42.0.html?detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81)

Dry weight (kg): 173 vs 140-ish
Power (kW): 35.3 vs 40
Torque (Nm): 58.4 vs 60
Capacity (cc): 659 vs 625

I know you shouldn't 'ride the spec sheet' but by those numbers the KTM wins every time. The KTM has less weight, more power and more torque from less ccs. You could even be so unkind as to say the XT660X is nearly 25% heavier than the KTM. And the LC4 SM is the runt of the KTM thumper motard litter.

the KTM is just FUGLY ...... sorryWho you callin' fugly? We was talking about the 640 SM but you've pictured a 640 Adventure.

The XT660 looks, in typical Japper fashion, like the accountants did the styling after the engineering committee was finished with the thing. In other words, like it fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down. :dodge: The (any) KTM at least has some sense of European flair.

There's a reason the XT660X is available in orange, and it isn't to make it look like a Yamaha.:done:

Wolf
28th August 2006, 19:40
Who you callin' fugly? We was talking about the 640 SM but you've pictured a 640 Adventure.
You mean one of these?

Wolf
28th August 2006, 19:46
Thing about motards that seems odd to me: the wheels. I'm used to 18" rear and 21" front so motards look like someone's pinched the wheels off my cub's bike and put them on a motorcycle.

Hellraiser
28th August 2006, 20:03
LOL my bad ........

For a KTM it ain't half bad looking :yes:

clint640
29th August 2006, 09:03
Cheers for that Colin, you saved me a bit of typing :laugh:

By all accounts the XTX is a bit strangled by it's exhaust & some decent cans will liberate a bit more go, mind you a full Akrapovic system will give a KTM a good boost too.

The 05+ twin pipe KTM LC4 Supermotos look even sexier than the 03-04 in Wolf's pic:

http://www.ktm.co.at/640-LC4-Supermoto.42.0.html

I actually reckon the XT660X ain't a bad looking bike. The XT660R however is very wrong in so many ways.

Cheers
Clint

NordieBoy
30th August 2006, 19:23
And the LC4 SM is the runt of the KTM thumper motard litter.
Or would the 525 be the runt?

The Aprillia SXV's are strangled to hell of the showroom floor as well.

warewolf
30th August 2006, 19:50
Or would the 525 be the runt?Meant more that the 3 or so other LC4 variants are higher-spec and would therefore further distance themselves from the XT660X. The 525 RFS thing would probably also out-do the LC4 640SM.

PLUG
1st September 2006, 23:15
Go BOYS

My money is on the C&C tag team (clint & colin) ... the XTX is a homos version of an orange blurr ... blurr ... being the one out in front.