PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki GPz400 igniter wiring?

BentWing_Bird
22nd August 2006, 16:30
Hi,
Am new to this forum but any help would be much appreciated!
Have got a GPz400 motor (# ZX400D) which is in a gokart at the moment. Think the year of the bike/motor is around 84-85. Am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to wire up the IC Igniter. It is one of the square, black units with a 10 pin plug. I have got a haynes manual which basicly tells you which colour wire does what but the problem is I don't have the original plug so the wire colours are different.
Something that would help me hugely but am alittle unsure of is on one page of the manual it labels the wires with numbers and colours and then a couple of pages on it has a picture of the igniter labeling the pins with numbers. But these numbers correspond to the internal resistance check, the table of values.
Do you thing that two different pages correspond?
Basicly what I need to find out is what pin should be wired to what?

Im also looking for the IC Igniter unit itself if someones got one lying round.

Cheers

BILLZONE
22nd March 2007, 06:58
im building a car as well with the same engine!
i sent you a ignition wiring circuit of a gpz 400!
i wired mine but i think it has another problem with
the pick up coils cos when i turn on the ignition switch it fires
once to the sparkplug but then it stops!i think my pick up coils
to pulse!i think it will help you!

The Pastor
22nd March 2007, 07:40
im building a car as well with the same engine!
i sent you a ignition wiring circuit of a gpz 400!
i wired mine but i think it has another problem with
the pick up coils cos when i turn on the ignition switch it fires
once to the sparkplug but then it stops!i think my pick up coils
no pulse!i think it will help you!

You building a car with a 400cc engine.... I think you mean go-kart?

milecord
10th April 2007, 21:36
Hi! I'm also new here. I have the original wiring for my GPz 400. Would appreciate if you can share the wiring connections using the wire color as reference. The wire terminals got pulled from the connector and I'm having difficulty determining which goes where.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

BentWing_Bird
23rd April 2007, 17:10
Hi,

Here are some diagrams out of the haynes manual. i believe they are for the later model ignition unit ie. the plastic one rather than the alloy one. don't quote me on that tho!
When i wired mine like this i had the same problem as billzone did. so borrowed an older model ic unit and it worked fine. in the end i concluded it must be the unit itself so splashed out on a hyperpack ignition.
The GPz 400 does have the power for the kart but really only when its pulln around 10K. Sadly it self destructed the other day:bye: . i believe a roaming tappet found the timing chain....think you can imagine the rest!:gob:

Anyone out there got a few spares for a GPZ400 motor (engine#: ZX400DE) :yes:

Cheers for the posts guys.

BILLZONE
28th April 2007, 02:34
any news yet how to wired the ignition module by it self and make the bike works!!?(gpz 400,zx 400d)

BILLZONE
28th April 2007, 02:38
I TRY EVERYTHINK THIS BIKE DRIVE ME NUTS!!
I CAN FIGURE OUT WHY IS NOT SPARKING!!
IVE CHECKED EVERYTHING THE PICK UP COILS,THE IGNITION COILS
THE IGNITION MODULE BUT I CANT GET IT WORKING!!
ANY HELP WILL B GOOD!:scooter:

BentWing_Bird
28th April 2007, 23:59
How'd you rule out the ignition module from being the problem??

BILLZONE
29th April 2007, 05:05
you mean how to check if the igniter unit is ok!?
just unplug the pick up coils conector(4 pin) from the igniter unit
and then give power 12v + and - from the battery to the pick up leads that goes to the igniter unit!try that to pick up coil(1) and see if the spark will spark and then do the same for pick up coil (2)
if the spark will spark whsile you giving power to the leads of each pick up coil that means that your igniter unit is giving order to fire
when the pick up coils comand! so your igniter unit is ok!!

BILLZONE
1st May 2007, 10:02
any good news yet?