PDA

View Full Version : Assuming the position

The Pastor
22nd August 2006, 18:26
As a road safety enthusiast, I struggle to understand the logic of some so-called performance car drivers who like to sit with the driver's seat as low as possible when driving on public roads. This is a fashion statement, it seems, for the young generation of boy racer type drivers, who are often seen sitting so low they can barely see through the top of their steering wheels, let alone see the road in front of their vehicals.

This attitude is reinforced by some of your (kb's) posts where it was mentioned that "The car has more apeal [over another car]. You can set the seat lower than other cars and set yourself up in the "swinging chimp" stance favoured by mosyt endurance drivers to delay fatiuge. It brings the driver's pants closer to the center of gravity so giving better warning of any need to catch the wild tail". I cannot understand why any driver travelling on public roads with other traffic would want to sit in such an undomfotable posotion with their view of the raod ahead impeeded by the steering wheel and dashbord just so they can ape a chimpanzee and feel the lower center of gravity of the car in case the back end starts sliding out, as it tends to do when booting a powerful car hard with the traction controll turned off.

Sure this driving postion may be preferred by v8 supercar drivers at bathurst when driving all day at the limits of adhesion and speed, but such antics are not to be recommened for normal, everyday driving with in the limits requried when sharing the road with other lesser skilled and experianced drivers. I belive it is much safer to adopt a higher driving postion where one can see clarely over the dashbord and keep a wary eye out for other vulnerable road users and traffic hazards.

My preferance is to look down onto the bonnet of the car. Probably on of the great attractions of SUV's and other high vehicles like vans is greater foward visibility enjoyed by ther drivers higher vantage point.

Before you write me off as an overcautious saftey bureaucrat who doesn't apperiate driving high powerd cars,let me add that my own car is a BA XR8 and at work I drive a ,mazda 6. I enjoy driving and travel many thousands of km each year behind the wheel as best I can within our slow speed limits. Where I make up time is through corners that many other drivers slow for, so I understand the dynamics of the seat of the pants feel of travelling quickly through bends.

Ten tenths of driving styles that reuire a low center of gravity achived through a lower drivers seat have no place on public roads. Lets keep that style for the race track where it rightly belongs.

RM

Indiana_Jones
22nd August 2006, 18:33
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/32ynxnOUUK0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/32ynxnOUUK0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

-Indy

Magua
22nd August 2006, 18:44
Dodgy as hell. :D

mdooher
22nd August 2006, 18:53
-Indy

WTF was that!

mat1138
22nd August 2006, 19:05
AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAH!

Good to see NZ bloggers making their mark. Good cunt boys.

onearmedbandit
22nd August 2006, 19:14
This attitude is reinforced by some of your (kb's) posts where it was mentioned that "The car has more apeal [over another car]. You can set the seat lower than other cars and set yourself up in the "swinging chimp" stance favoured by mosyt endurance drivers to delay fatiuge. It brings the driver's pants closer to the center of gravity so giving better warning of any need to catch the wild tail".

RM

Must have missed those posts sorry.

SlowHand
22nd August 2006, 19:31
This is the problem with taking suppository medication of turbo-lax. All the shit comes out your mouth. Or, in this case, fingers.

You do get the fact that race cars actually have low seat mountings, extended pedals and steering wheel?

The Pastor
22nd August 2006, 20:07
This is the problem with taking suppository medication of turbo-lax. All the shit comes out your mouth. Or, in this case, fingers.

You do get the fact that race cars actually have low seat mountings, extended pedals and steering wheel?

Yes you inexperianced noob. I understand that RACE cars have all that tick kit inside them. A RACE car is for a RACE track. ROAD cars are not driven only on RACE tracks. They are driven on the ROAD. A road is where ROAD cars DRIVE on. (Im sorry to the rest of you with iq's above 0.1 but this simpleton doesnt know the differnace between ROAD cars and RACE cars).

If you are going to bother posting anything it might pay to read. Calling you an idiot would be an insult to all the stupid people.

Magua
22nd August 2006, 20:10
This is why we need to ban people. :D

skelstar
22nd August 2006, 20:25
Woah.:shit:

Im sure strat was just pointing out that they are emulating what their race-heros do or something :). No worse than putting race stickers on a bike and fitting it with OHLINs maybe?

Mental Trousers
22nd August 2006, 20:26
Owns an XR6 but can't afford to put a tyre on the bike for a wof?? Wtf??

Vote here people (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/fw_pollbooth.php?do=showbooth&boothid=16)

SlowHand
22nd August 2006, 20:45
C'mon MT, he said an XR8, or at least he's daddy says it is.

But, excellent. A pukka bite. Lemme quote ya.

You can set the seat lower than other cars and set yourself up in the "swinging chimp" stance favoured by mosyt endurance drivers to delay fatiuge. It brings the driver's pants closer to the center of gravity so giving better warning of any need to catch the wild tail".

So, if I lower my standard road car seats - however I do that, apart from mediocre distance it moves in the cars with adjustable height, my head will be lower than the steering wheels?

The reality is the ones with "low seats" are just reclining the seats back, so the ass hardly moves lower than the car. And low seats in race cars are more for lower centre of gravity; where possible. Notice how in WRC, co-drivers sit lower than the drivers?

-hey, this inexperienced noob is just picking holes in your chest puff, what does it bring to the thread? Fark all really.

Skyryder
22nd August 2006, 21:10
Yes and we all know how often we are not seen.............when the driver is in the 'usual' driving position. Just watch the attitude change RM when one of us are taken out by one of these clowns.

Saw one of these low slung boi racers nearly take out the mother and her child buggy. The 'dick' never knew just how close he was.

Skyryder

The Pastor
22nd August 2006, 21:31
C'mon MT, he said an XR8, or at least he's daddy says it is.

But, excellent. A pukka bite. Lemme quote ya.

So, if I lower my standard road car seats - however I do that, apart from mediocre distance it moves in the cars with adjustable height, my head will be lower than the steering wheels?

The reality is the ones with "low seats" are just reclining the seats back, so the ass hardly moves lower than the car. And low seats in race cars are more for lower centre of gravity; where possible. Notice how in WRC, co-drivers sit lower than the drivers?

-hey, this inexperienced noob is just picking holes in your chest puff, what does it bring to the thread? Fark all really.

Hey noobface. How about you open your squint eyes and read what I friggen posted. Picking holes? What holes, had you even botherd to read it you would of found;

" I struggle to understand the logic of some so-called performance car drivers who like to sit with the driver's seat as low as possible when driving on public roads. This is a fashion statement, it seems, for the young generation of boy racer type drivers, who are often seen sitting so low they can barely see through the top of their steering wheels, let alone see the road in front of their vehicals."

I am not saying if it works or not. And If I have to explain the simple meaning of my post again, I'm going to slap you. Are you always this stupid or are you just making a special effort today?

And low seats in race cars are more for lower centre of gravity; where possible. Notice how in WRC, co-drivers sit lower than the drivers?

Get out of here? I remember somthing about that... OH YES IT WAS IN MY POST. LOW SEATS ARE FOR THE RACE TRACK NOT THE ROAD.

Now, where do you live, so I can come and slap you.

Kyle
22nd August 2006, 22:21
actully i think in many cases its not a lowered seat at all, its all these loan companys suckering young people into buying a flash 10grand cage, and many of them havnt finshed growing yet. And others just sit low to hide behind there door panels, problery because they outlawed dark tints and the old tinted windows half down craze died out. just my 2 cents (oh wait they phazed them out, just my 10cents worth then)

The Pastor
22nd August 2006, 22:42
Woah.:shit:

Im sure strat was just pointing out that they are emulating what their race-heros do or something :). No worse than putting race stickers on a bike and fitting it with OHLINs maybe?

Yes because putting a sticker and a better shock on a bike is no worse than not seeing the kid runout in front of your car because you cant see infront of your bonnet and killing the kid. And a puppy.

Think before you post einstein.

McJim
22nd August 2006, 22:43
Lowering the seats makes the roof leak too - hence the daft pricks have to wear their hoods up while driving - makes me laugh so much I fog up my visor.

R6_kid
22nd August 2006, 22:56
i always thought there was something fucked up between indy and that guy matthew ellen from school. you guys havent changed one bit.

Timber020
22nd August 2006, 23:06
I have always driven well back from the steering wheel, seat slightly reclined. Its how my dad drove, and since I learned to heel and toe years before I learned to park a car, I guess I may not have had the most gentle attitude to driving cars. But being a country boy I was always on open roads, and looking "down the bonnet" generally meant you werent looking far enough ahead where things were going to get you. In town I do sit more upright.

A ford V8 AND a mazda 6? Why hasnt a formula one team picked up such an obvious talent? You have to be gods gift which such challenging, high performance and twitchy handling vehicles. I eagerly await any pearls of motoring wisdom you wish to share with us O driving legend.:scooter:

Lou Girardin
23rd August 2006, 08:25
Even driving instructors don't know the recommended driving position. I've had students come for a test with the steering wheel so close to their chests that they hold the wheel from behind. apart from issues with car control, that will ensure you die in a head on.

McJim
23rd August 2006, 08:49
I never have much choice about seating position in a car - I just whack the seat right back and hope there's enough room for my legs.

Then I have to recline the seat until my head doesn't touch the ceiling any more.

Dead easy.

The Pastor
23rd August 2006, 10:34
I have always driven well back from the steering wheel, seat slightly reclined. Its how my dad drove, and since I learned to heel and toe years before I learned to park a car, I guess I may not have had the most gentle attitude to driving cars. But being a country boy I was always on open roads, and looking "down the bonnet" generally meant you werent looking far enough ahead where things were going to get you. In town I do sit more upright.

Timber you counrty hick,

You have missed the point. I usally get annoyed at people who cant read, but becuase you grew up / still live in hicksville I assume you went to a secondrate school and therefore cant get the general gist of my post.

I am talking about the young city drivers. Sure on an open road with little or no traffic, there is nothing thats going to happen RIGHT infront of your bonnet. [Thanks very much for pointing this out to me - Do you want a gold star?] The context of my post was of that in wich they are driving on densly populated roads, where your 2 second rule cannot be applied. Kids, dogs and motorists often back out of a driveway or pull out with out seeing anyone and crash. Most of which have a safe upright seating postion. How much worse is it when they cant even see over their bonnet?

Go ahead, tell them everything you know. It'll only take 10 seconds

bungbung
23rd August 2006, 10:46
Notice how in WRC, co-drivers sit lower than the drivers?.

That is so the driver can see out the window when going sideways. Navigator sits further rearward when possible also.

SlowHand
23rd August 2006, 17:18
Whoa, thats pretty sideways man! Prob a bit to do with that and the CoG i guess.

And RM, why dont ya come on the Thursday night ride. i'd love a slap.
What will you bring? Your XR8, Mazda 6, or your dunga bike with cheap tyre and busted engine? Do get back to me so I can bring an approperiate hotwheels toy. Wouldn't want to show you up or nothing.

The Pastor
23rd August 2006, 17:23
Whoa, thats pretty sideways man! Prob a bit to do with that and the CoG i guess.

And RM, why dont ya come on the Thursday night ride. i'd love a slap.
What will you bring? Your XR8, Mazda 6, or your dunga bike with cheap tyre and busted engine? Do get back to me so I can bring an approperiate hotwheels toy. Wouldn't want to show you up or nothing.

Your message board incompetence is an inspiration to botched lobotomy patients everywhere. Your post is an orgy of stultifying cacophonous verbal depravity; an exercise in literary impotence, and an offense to all of good taste and decency.

I don't know what makes you such a worthless poster, but it really works! You must have a very large brain to hold such a vast amount of sheer ignorance. Well, you're certainly thoughtless; I just wish that you were keyboard-less, too. As Robert Wilensky said: "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

You are about as entertaining as watching grass grow in a windowbox. What do you do for a living? You are living, aren't you? Why don't you close your mouth before someone sticks an apple in it? Maybe you wouldn't read like such a pathetic loser if you weren't so dense that light bends around you; if your weren't so fat that your cereal bowl has its own lifeguard, or if you didn't have a face that people rub tree branches on to make ugly sticks. Who am I kidding? You would.

In future, if you have something to say, just shut up.

McJim
23rd August 2006, 17:34
....... worthless poster,......In future, if you have something to say, just shut up.

What a wonderful capacity for verbosity you have. You appear to have accumulated a substantial vocabulary.

I won't pass any abuse...because I don't...but I will offer up a fact that I can see.

Strat has obtained 9 Green boxes of reputation in 776 posts
You have obtained 2 Green boxes of reputation in 967 posts

Judgement of peers is clearly visible in this instance so I would ask "What is a 'good' post?"

skelstar
23rd August 2006, 17:40
Ive never seen anyone sum up their entire capacity for trivia in one post.

McJim
23rd August 2006, 17:52
Ive never seen anyone sum up their entire capacity for trivia in one post.

If you're talking about me then I haven't even begun to explore my full capacity for trivia on this forum....hee hee hee.

But if you're inviting me to then I look forward to boring you.

Muwahahahahahah!:Punk:

The Pastor
23rd August 2006, 18:11
What a wonderful capacity for verbosity you have. You appear to have accumulated a substantial vocabulary.

I won't pass any abuse...because I don't...but I will offer up a fact that I can see.

Strat has obtained 9 Green boxes of reputation in 776 posts
You have obtained 2 Green boxes of reputation in 967 posts

Judgement of peers is clearly visible in this instance so I would ask "What is a 'good' post?"

Thats becuase I had alot of red rep. close to 50/50. And rep is just when people agree with what you say. And I don't post what people want me to post, I post what ever I like.

You can have your magic green boxes. I don't care.

Joni
23rd August 2006, 18:58
Enough Renegade.. you can say what you have to say without insulting people.

:Playnice:

The Pastor
23rd August 2006, 19:23
Enough Renegade.. you can say what you have to say without insulting people.

:Playnice:

Who said I was nice? I sure didn't. Im a bad ass biker yo.

Virago
23rd August 2006, 21:03
Hey guys......I really need to get a wof and a rego, but dont have the dosh for a tyre....I will only need it for about 20 mins......Any help would be great....

Strike One......

I'm a man.........If I choose to ride in bare feat and no helmet, IT IS MY CHOICE! It has nothing to do with anyone else or how you feel about somthing (bloody hippies).......Toughen up you pack of wimps.

Strike Two......

As a road safety enthusiast, I struggle to understand the logic.......Before you write me off as an overcautious saftey bureaucrat.....

Out!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brett
23rd August 2006, 21:13
All BS...I voted.:gob:

SlowHand
23rd August 2006, 21:32
Well this sucks, I wanted to give the final blow on the compost, but people really like you eh RM.

Still awaiting that slap btw.

chickenfunkstar
23rd August 2006, 21:33
As a road safety enthusiast, I struggle to understand the logic of some so-called performance car drivers who like to sit with the driver's seat as low as possible when driving on public roads. This is a fashion statement, it seems, for the young generation of boy racer type drivers, who are often seen sitting so low they can barely see through the top of their steering wheels, let alone see the road in front of their vehicals.

Ten tenths of driving styles that reuire a low center of gravity achived through a lower drivers seat have no place on public roads. Lets keep that style for the race track where it rightly belongs.

RM

Its because the lower down you sit, the less likely you are to get hit when the gangsta who's beyarch you tried to mack onto is shooting at you. Also, you're less likely to be identified when gunning people who owe you money.

I thought everyone knew that?

SlowHand
23rd August 2006, 21:47
Sup CJ! Long time homie! Whacked any ballas lately?

chickenfunkstar
23rd August 2006, 21:51
Sup Sweet. Lets go bust on some fools.

Grove St 4 Life!

The Pastor
23rd August 2006, 22:50
Well this sucks, I wanted to give the final blow on the compost, but people really like you eh RM.

Still awaiting that slap btw.

Final blow? You havnt even started. I'll give you a hint, take some reading lessons.

Indiana_Jones
23rd August 2006, 22:57
*Indy passes Renegade Master another shovel*

"Just keep digging deeper"

lol

-Indy

The Pastor
23rd August 2006, 23:05
*Indy passes Renegade Master another shovel*

"Just keep digging deeper"

lol

-Indy

I dont want to kill him, just rough him up some... remember what happend to jhonny?

scumdog
24th August 2006, 00:15

I am talking about the young city drivers. Sure on an open road with little or no traffic, there is nothing thats going to happen RIGHT infront of your bonnet. Most of which have a safe upright seating postion. How much worse is it when they cant even see over their bonnet?

Go ahead, tell them everything you know. It'll only take 10 seconds

The laid back see-nothing-closer-than-200metres position was developed by insurance companies so that when boy-racers went on thier noddy-train trips there would be a steady succession of nose-to-tails since following driver would not be able to see the tail-lights of the car on front, also meant there was more likelyhood of crunching into kerbs when parking.

The weakness in the plan was the simple fact so many boy-racers don't HAVE insurance.:gob:

BeakerRAT
24th August 2006, 01:44
Your message board incompetence is an inspiration to botched lobotomy patients everywhere. Your post is an orgy of stultifying cacophonous verbal depravity; an exercise in literary impotence, and an offense to all of good taste and decency.

I don't know what makes you such a worthless poster, but it really works! You must have a very large brain to hold such a vast amount of sheer ignorance. Well, you're certainly thoughtless; I just wish that you were keyboard-less, too. As Robert Wilensky said: "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

You are about as entertaining as watching grass grow in a windowbox. What do you do for a living? You are living, aren't you? Why don't you close your mouth before someone sticks an apple in it? Maybe you wouldn't read like such a pathetic loser if you weren't so dense that light bends around you; if your weren't so fat that your cereal bowl has its own lifeguard, or if you didn't have a face that people rub tree branches on to make ugly sticks. Who am I kidding? You would.

Blah, blah, blah, blah! It's crap like this that ruins threads and the forum.

Thought this looked a little suspicious and bereft of the usual spelling and grammatical errors from you RM. At least you’ve learned to copy and paste, I guess. If you're going to insult someone at least make an effort to come up with something original and in keeping with the points they've made you disagree with.

skelstar
24th August 2006, 09:23
Definitley a cut-and-paste. Sad.

SlowHand
24th August 2006, 10:47
But where is my slap!! Such a fine day for it too.

SlowHand
24th August 2006, 13:36

Blah, blah, blah, blah! It's crap like this that ruins threads and the forum.

Thought this looked a little suspicious and bereft of the usual spelling and grammatical errors from you RM. At least you’ve learned to copy and paste, I guess. If you're going to insult someone at least make an effort to come up with something original and in keeping with the points they've made you disagree with.

Gasp. Noone is that stupid and lazy.

http://homokaasu.org/forum/thread.gas?ThreadID=747&Page=3

post 100.This is only one of the few I found googling.

The Stranger
24th August 2006, 13:53
No worse than putting race stickers on a bike and fitting it with OHLINs maybe?

What? you compare race stickers to Ohlins.

Arguably the worlds best performance suspension, for both road and track, compared to race stickers??

The Stranger
24th August 2006, 13:56
Strike One......

Strike Two......

Out!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hmm, me thinks you under estimate RM.

He is good at winding KB up on slow days.

skelstar
24th August 2006, 13:56
Sure. Bad example maybe.

The Pastor
24th August 2006, 16:04
I just wanted more votes to get that cool avatar......

The orginal thread was copyed out of a nz autocar mag I had. I just changed nz autocar refereances to kb....