PDA

View Full Version : Bike Skills Course

R6_kid
14th June 2004, 19:13
Hey guys,
just been thinking about the bins that happened on the weekend, and noticed a lot of them were simply rider error, not to put the people down, just that from what i've read the bikes weren't to blame.
Any how, i am going to get in contact with a friend that has contacts with Ulysses and BRANZ to try and organise for us to have a skills day at Whenuapai airbase in auckland. I went on one of their courses when i first got my bike and found it to be a HUGE benefit. Practicing things like braking and proper cornering on a closed runway is a lot of fun but also very rewarding when you get back out on the road. I will post possible dates/times/cost at a later date. The last course was $40 but i'll see it i can get that reduced.
cheers
gareth

Quasievil
14th June 2004, 19:15
Hey guys,
just been thinking about the bins that happened on the weekend, and noticed a lot of them were simply rider error, not to put the people down, just that from what i've read the bikes weren't to blame.
Any how, i am going to get in contact with a friend that has contacts with Ulysses and BRANZ to try and organise for us to have a skills day at Whenuapai airbase in auckland. I went on one of their courses when i first got my bike and found it to be a HUGE benefit. Practicing things like braking and proper cornering on a closed runway is a lot of fun but also very rewarding when you get back out on the road. I will post possible dates/times/cost at a later date. The last course was $40 but i'll see it i can get that reduced.
cheers
gareth

Count me in, always wanting to learn new skills, keep me posted

tuscan
14th June 2004, 20:28
Having just got my first bike today :spudbooge I would be keen, once I've spent a few weeks sorting out the basics, to do something like at Whenuapai.

Some dude pulled up next to me on a big BMW (when I was on my :scooter: ) and recommended that they were really helpful. :niceone:

Sounds like a good idea :ride:

MikeL
14th June 2004, 20:34
I did the Skills course at Whenuapai through Ulysses and found it really useful. I can thoroughly recommend it. Even at $40 it is a bargain. Or if you have enough grey hairs you could join Ulysses and then you get it for $25.

Shawn
14th June 2004, 20:39
count me in bro...

Magua
14th June 2004, 20:59
I would be up for that.

shandawg
14th June 2004, 21:11
I thought my skills were not too bad after 3 years of city riding, but yesterday made me realise two things:

1) I have plenty of room for improvement and -
2) City riding and open road riding are two different worlds!

Definitely keen for something like this if I can get the bike and myself back on the road in time, otherwise the next one for sure. $40 is a pretty good price if it saves even one bin :niceone:

Posh Tourer :P
14th June 2004, 21:27
depending on time and date, I'm in

phase
14th June 2004, 21:51
That sounds awesome. My riding is haggard and needs urgent attention before I too end up in the ditch.

FROSTY
14th June 2004, 22:21
bloody fantastic idea
I bet a lot of KB members would be keen on the idea.
Why not get an idea of costs and see how many will come along

Andrew
14th June 2004, 23:16
I'm keen for sure.

angle
14th June 2004, 23:28
I'm also quite keen.

Darryboy
14th June 2004, 23:43
Yeah definetely keen.

Getting the bike fixed soon.
Just realised last night that I am actually concussed from the accident (weird I didn't remember hitting my head :wacko: ) so I'll be needing a new helmet now too :(

But $40 for the training sounds cheap as chips

Big Dog
15th June 2004, 17:55
$40 for the training sounds cheap as chips
Me too! Never say no to more training.

@ $40 I will make time.

R6_kid
15th June 2004, 18:08
Please read all infor below and PM me your full name, and contact details (phone number, address) if you want more information or would like to put your name forward for a course.

We have enough spaces at present on the following courses.

June 20
July 18
August 15.

Please let us know who will be attending which Course, for Base
Security reasons.

Course cost is $45.00 per person, this includes the Road Code and
Course Notes. You will have to bring your lunches with you as we do not let
anyone out to the local shops to get them at Lunch time, but you can
purchase it before the Course starts.

If any have already done the Course, there is no charge for doing it
again, but you do not get a Road Code.

Big Dog
15th June 2004, 18:16
im in for sunday 20th.

Devil
16th June 2004, 08:11
Bah @ sundays.
ANy idea what time? whats covered etc?

SPman
16th June 2004, 08:30
Bah @ sundays.
ANy idea what time? whats covered etc? The Ride Right Ride Safe course is run by BRONZ. I think it starts about 9.30 and is like an advanced basic handling skills course. They cover stuff like emergency braking and braking techniques, countersteering, bike handling in general, with a mixture of theory and practical - mainly practical. Its real fun and a lot of experienced riders do it when they change bikes, definitely worth it. It is quite heavily subsidised by the councils and, I think, ACC-.

Devil
16th June 2004, 08:46
The Ride Right Ride Safe course is run by BRONZ. I think it starts about 9.30 and is like an advanced basic handling skills course. They cover stuff like emergency braking and braking techniques, countersteering, bike handling in general, with a mixture of theory and practical - mainly practical. Its real fun and a lot of experienced riders do it when they change bikes, definitely worth it. It is quite heavily subsidised by the councils and, I think, ACC-.
Thanks.
Bah at sunday morning. Im at waterpolo till 11am :(