PDA

View Full Version : Right from under my nose!!

Motu
23rd August 2006, 23:29
Had a vehicle stolen from my work on monday.A customer needed 2 WoF's - so I did the first on on his Estima,he then came in his Hi Ace and picked up the Estima.He parked the van right in the doorway where I do the WoF checks,no problems with that,he came and picked up the keys for the other and left the keys in the Hi Ace.No problems with that either,I actualy prefer that as I don't have to find the keys.He was leaving the van for the rest of the day,and that was good because I had a Pajero to put through first.

So I dithered about in my office for awhile,the van in plain sight in the doorway not 15mtrs away.I checked my TradeMe auctions,answered some phone call I couldn't understand,I think it was someone wanting a job,but couldn't speak English.I took off my sweatshirt and swapped beanie for peaked cap (getting warm at 2.00pm) flipped back to the Pajero check sheet,picked up my brake tester and went out and started up the Pajero....

Sitting in the Pajero it dawned on me something was not right - I had actualy come out to shift the Hi Ace....but WHAT Hi Ace....it was gone!!!!! I never even saw it go.The customer lives in the next street,and I rang him just as he got home....but no,he didn't take the van away again.

I was completely shellshocked,I can't see how someone could possibly steal the van from under my nose like that....I would swear in court that it would be impossible.I can't even retrace the events....what I do is so boring it doesn't register on my concious mind....I'm blank.I didn't even KNOW it had gone - it wasn't there,so....it wasn't there.Oh,the brain is a funny tool.

Today he got the van back - all his gear inside and just a compressor missing...there were 2 inside.Phew! Oh well,no more keys left in vehicles even if they are in the doorway and you are just going to walk out and shift them.

Biff
23rd August 2006, 23:35
Gremlins?
They drive on Chinese driving licences I hear.
Bastards.

rwh
23rd August 2006, 23:39
Is it possible that the unintelligible phone call was a deliberate distraction? Can you get the calling number?

98tls
23rd August 2006, 23:41
You gotta stop eating those funny little Mushrooms you find on those rides out the back of beyond:yes:

Biff
23rd August 2006, 23:42
Is it possible that the unintelligible phone call was a deliberate distraction? Can you get the calling number?

Bloody good suggestion Sherlock.

Big Dave
23rd August 2006, 23:45
We know where you were today pal - oscar spotted you in disguise

http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/boobshots/pages/PICT8264.html

PS others - when someone asks scumdog why he has tassles and a harley - remember this photograph.

WRT
24th August 2006, 09:45
PS others - when someone asks scumdog why he has tassles and a harley - remember this photograph. Because he likes to "polish his helmet"? I've always thought that of harley owners, but I suppose at least this guy has a legitimate excuse with that chick on the back. It looks like his helmet has had more than its fair share of polishing tho.

Dooly
24th August 2006, 11:24
You actually use your brake tester Motu?:gob:

We park all our customer's cars on our paddock next to us.
We've only had one stolen, years ago when we left it out after 5pm on the customer's request.
An old Viva, they got to Rotorua before it shit itself.

placidfemme
24th August 2006, 12:33
Its a pity that happened to you and your business... did the customer blame you in any way?

Although, in todays society, I'm not surprised it happened at all...

Motoracer
24th August 2006, 15:03
How was the van found?

The Pastor
24th August 2006, 16:11
How was the van found?

Wrapped around a tree/lampost with a huge box of kfc and 12 doz empty cans of lion red?

Motu
24th August 2006, 16:57
You actually use your brake tester Motu?:gob:

In these days of the mystery shopper and hidden Fair Go cameras - the brake tester goes with me on every WoF road test,what happens next is of no concern of theirs.I reckon 2 black lines is pretty good for a handbrake - and when was the last time you failed a car on the footbrake....and if you did,did you need a $1,000 machine to tell you it didn't stop?

The customer left the keys in the ign,his fault.This is the 3rd fully loaded work van I've heard go missing recently,and recovered with tools intact.

oldrider
24th August 2006, 17:28

My feelings are with rwh on this one Motu!

Sorry to hear about the theft. (bastards)

Thought your description of your feelings once reality dawned that it was gone was typical, confused..... disbelief!......????? classic stuff. :shit:

Did you say the van was recovered with all the tools and undamaged, or?... John.

HDTboy
24th August 2006, 17:33
When I was in Auckland we had an M5 go missing from the tyre shop we used. It was recovered quickly, but no keys ever got left in cars again.

Kickaha
24th August 2006, 19:09
We had a work van stolen from out the back at work, no one noticed it wasn't there when it was time to put them all away,it was only when the cops rang the next day to say "we found one of your vans off the side of the port hills" that anyone realised it was gone

they found a bit of blood in the van so I hope the fucker got hurt when he went over the edge

mstriumph
24th August 2006, 19:29
.....................This is the 3rd fully loaded work van I've heard go missing recently,and recovered with tools intact.

soooooooo basically you are looking for a workshy thief??