PDA

View Full Version : Cost of racing?

Funkyfly
14th June 2004, 21:30
When i was at a "test day" at manfeild i struck up a conversation with the only other two bikers there, there were both students, one had raced before and was there on his race bike (2 stroke honda 250).

It was during the ensuing conversation that he told me what a season of racing had cost him, now befroe he was a student he worked so was able to afford a year racing, but even his little (and pretty banged up) 250 had cost him around $15,000 to race that season! :crazy: incl bike related stuff and travel accom etc.

It was at this point my heart sank! because after trotting around manfeild on my street bike i had visions of getting a race bike to sling around and learn on, but even half a season at $7,000 is too rich for my blood.

I was wondering what you racers found you have been spending to keep up your racing?

I realise different cost for different classes, im interested in learners type classes, clubmans or F3 is it?

im not really interested in bucket racing as im not aware of any racing held in taranaki, or at manfeild or Taupo, i dont want to have to travel to wellington every time i want to race.

Hoon
14th June 2004, 22:29
No way does it cost that much!!! Umm well it could obviously but it doesn't have to!

Heres a breakdown of my first season F3 costs from nothing:

$2500 Buy ex-race RGV250 with spares and 3 set of rims with wets/med/slicks
$500 Get bike sorted properly and make reliable.
$1500 Go halfsies on a van with a mate (since only needed some weekends)
$300 Get all the tools and pit gear I need
$2000 1 pc race suit, gloves, helmet, back protector, boots
$125 Join a MC club and get MNZ racing license

Thats basically your setup costs. It may vary depending on what you already have or don't have. Also whether you are handy with a spanner or know a very good mate who is! Of course I didn't pay that all in one go...it was spread over 6 months as I slowly acquired/upgraded due to cash/necessity.

Once you are set up, costs are very little in comparison. I only race local tracks (Pukekohe and sometimes Taupo) and usually my costs for 1 day at the track will be:

$30 Race fuel
$80 Entry fee
$50 Van fuel, food etc

Tyres you will probably get a whole season out of until you start getting fast.

Once you start travelling then it gets more expensive as you need accomodation/gas/time off work.

Also you have unexpected costs which are crash repairs/mechanical failures and go faster parts!!

Anyone else please feel free to contribute!!!

babyB
14th June 2004, 22:52
that would be about right Funkfly

the average basic cost per meeting is around $230.00 for me.
thats entry fee, bike petrol, food, car petrol, trailer hire, club membership, nzmc licance.
Then thers the other stuff on top like parts & spare parts, maintiance & repairs, babysitters, acomidation, etc.
i am in clubmans & my budget gets me to 3 / 4 race meets/track days a year :brick: wishes i could do more

FROSTY
14th June 2004, 23:10
It would be easy to spend 15k on a seasons racing No questions there But do you need to --no way.
I kinda cheated by buying a bike already fitted with race fairings and a race seat.
I already had my race leathers etc
I as a relearner racer i opted for a set of sticky road tyres instead of having to so i avoided hassle and expense of slicks/wets. Reality is unless youre in the top 15% or racers road tyres will not slow ya down. You can save costs too by buying slightly used race tyres--again you need to be right up there at the top to notice the slight loss in grip they have.
Because ive raced before i bought a bunch of spare breakables -i havent used em yet and really I probably wont need em. I also repainted the bike -it wont make ya go faster so why bother
A break down of my costs are
Club membership- $40
Race licence $80/year
Bike $2000
Tyres $500
Race stand $140
Other spares/work $500
It costs $55-$100 per meeting -which is usually cheaper than a track day.

Buckets and bits in wellington have a zxr400 they will sell for $1500 as a rideable bike with no road gear.
Id say for another $500 you would have a bike you could race in F3 /clubmans. That said Ive seen some real bargain bikes come up on trade me that would do the job just as well -and a lot cheaper.
If you want maximum bang for your buck---go bucket racing--I did a full seasons racing on a honda 125 for a
Total cost of $1000 including bike/fuel /entry fees
And shit I had a lot of fun
Basicly it totally depends at what level you intend to enter at

Kickaha
15th June 2004, 17:54
I think the guy was exaggerating that's actually a polite way of saying he was talking crap.

Although that of course depends on what class he was racing in and how competitive he was,how many meetings he did and whether he did all the National points rounds.

What type of bike and what class did he spend his $15,000 on?

svs
16th June 2004, 09:55
I think the guy was exaggerating that's actually a polite way of saying he was talking crap.

Although that of course depends on what class he was racing in and how competitive he was,how many meetings he did and whether he did all the National points rounds.

What type of bike and what class did he spend his $15,000 on?

Possibly not. He had a '2 stroke honda 250' which I presume is an RS. Those aren't like your normal road bikes and need rebuilding often. like new pistons every few hunderd k's, new barrells over slightly higher intervals and even new crank every couple of thousand k's. They're a dream to work on, but not exactly cheap.

Also look into that fact that he could be running new tyres every meeting, and that's just replacement parts. Also look into tuning, travel etc etc. If he's taking it seriously he could throw as much money as he's got at it and it would all go somewhere.

Saying all that I'd agree with what Hoon and xj have said if you just want to go racing in F3 or clubmans. Yes it costs money, and you always find yourself wishing you had a bit more cash. But I'll run my tyres further into the ground than some people and I'll make do with what I've got when I can't afford to replace stuff.

White trash
16th June 2004, 11:19
You dont want to know what Johanns anual budget is! $15000?

Fucken pocket change......

Cajun
16th June 2004, 11:57
$15000 would have just brought him the bike for this year, let along making changes

But thats what the price is for racing at higher end of scale

Funkyfly
16th June 2004, 13:01
Thanks for the info guys, its not as bad as i thought then, sounds like a lot of fun could be had for less than 5,000 incl the bike.

My line of thinking would be to get a bike to race in clubmans but if i wanted to could enter into F3 as well.

Not wanting to rely on my pure skill (what skill?) i would like something that could hold its own on the straights against the majority of bikes in F3, the guy i was talking to at manfeild was complaining about the inclusion of SV650's in F3 and that they were doing too well in the class, this sounded pretty good to me!

What bikes would best suit my plan?

you thoughts?

Racey Rider
16th June 2004, 14:07
... the guy i was talking to at manfeild was complaining about the inclusion of SV650's in F3 and that they were doing too well in the class, this sounded pretty good to me!

For the last couple of years Vic club has not allowed the SV650's to run in F3.
Keep that in mind if you intend doing the Manfield winter series, which they run.

There's this FZR 400 just down the road.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Japanese/auction-12576223.htm
He wanted $1000 last week.
The 400's are allowed to be bored out to 450cc for F3 now apparently.

Motoracer
16th June 2004, 14:41
You dont want to know what Johanns anual budget is! $15000?

Fucken pocket change......

I guess that’s why people stay away from the F2 and F1 scene huh? :confused2

FROSTY
16th June 2004, 15:29
look at that zxr400--its bloodsy cheap dude

Kickaha
16th June 2004, 18:44
Possibly not. He had a '2 stroke honda 250' which I presume is an RS. Those aren't like your normal road bikes and need rebuilding often. like new pistons every few hunderd k's, new barrells over slightly higher intervals and even new crank every couple of thousand k's. They're a dream to work on, but not exactly cheap.

Thats why I asked what class,if it was GP bike it's quite possible,but I'd expect the NZ1 plate on my bike for that

My TZ250 is meant to be rings at 250km and pistons at 500km,I normally leave the piston and rings to the 600km mark,thats $400 each time you do that,a crank will run at least 1500km and thats a lot of racing at a cost of $1000 a shot for a rebuild,barrels last a long time unless you seize,replating them is about $300 if they don't need any repairs and depending on where they're done.

Honda RS250 bits are more expensive than the Yamaha bits as well.

geoffm
16th June 2004, 19:29
I raced for a 9 years or so, until house building sucked up the dollars. IMO - get a cheap 400, something you can get parts for easily. I started on a Suzuki Impulse, and then a FZR400 (a good choice). Buy some super sticky road tyres, and cheap fairings, leave the bike stock, including the starter. Keep it reliable and any power difference is irrelevenat when you are starting out, as skill counts for much more.
Don't forget the cost of leathers, back protectors, etc. Ask a racer to help you with safety wiring if you haven't done it before - the stainless lock wire and special pliers make it easier and neater.
Geoff

Funkyfly
17th June 2004, 15:07
Thanks guys, my next questions are a bit off topic so i will start a new thread.

Appreciated.