PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious CBR Illness.

MattRSK
24th August 2006, 18:33
I need your help.
My CBR is not working.
Problem
I turn key, nothing lights up. No neutral light, no oil light, nothing. Turn lights on, no go. Put kill switch into run position. Hold clutch in press start button. Nothing.

What have I done so far
Stripped bike of all fairings.
Followed every cable everywhere.
Checked every fuse visually and with meter.
Charged old battery, farked. Replaced with new battery.
Checked all connections plugs etc. All good.
Bitched, moaned.

Soloution
I have checked everything and it seems that its pucker. Should start but no.
I need some wisdom, I need your help. Could you please give me some suggestions on what I should look for. I have exhausted every angle that I can think of. Is there something I have missed?

sAsLEX
24th August 2006, 18:36
Mine was a short in the alarm, rip that out if you have one, same symptoms...

So a short or somthing in the main ignition loop is my guess

classic zed
24th August 2006, 19:14
1: Check for voltage at the battery.

2: keep the positive meter lead on the battery, put the negative lead on the chassis, you should get the same reading, if not you have an earth problem.

3: if the earth is ok follow the positive wire and check the voltage at the other end (maybe fuse box)

4: check for voltage on both sides of the fuse, sometimes a hairline crack means that they can look ok but not work.

5: check for voltages at the ignition switch connector and so on.......

That will give you a start:yes:

MattRSK
24th August 2006, 19:16
Thanks guys, will have a look. Have to think positive.

sAsLEX
24th August 2006, 19:26
Have to think positive.

Or negative if looking for earths

fuck thats bad but i laughed

classic zed
24th August 2006, 19:30
Or negative if looking for earths

fuck thats bad but i laughed

made me smile too, but your right, thats about as bad as it gets:no:

MattRSK
24th August 2006, 19:31
I am going insane, I need to get out on my bike. Can't though.

FlyingDutchMan
25th August 2006, 13:14
Have you checked the master fuse? Its located right by the battery, on the starter solinoid unit under the red cover. Its a bit a of bitch to pull out. There should be a spare underneath the solinoid unit, but it will probably corroded.

sAsLEX
25th August 2006, 13:33
Have you checked the master fuse? Its located right by the battery, on the starter solinoid unit under the red cover. Its a bit a of bitch to pull out. There should be a spare underneath the solinoid unit, but it will probably corroded.

That should not affect the lights etc on most bikes as its for the starter motor circuit

James Deuce
25th August 2006, 13:34
Sod off, I'm not voting Labour.

FlyingDutchMan
25th August 2006, 13:41
That should not affect the lights etc on most bikes as its for the starter motor circuit

Correction: EVERYTHING on the bike is powered via the master fuse (I know the wiring of the MC19 back to front, upside down and inside out) - if it blown, absolutely nothing will work (the symptoms he seems to have). Only the starter motor is not via wired via the main fuse; however the starter solinoid is activated from the starter switch which gets its power via the main fuse.

MattRSK
27th August 2006, 16:11
OK here is an update.
Opened up the main switch, which is very easy to do. One of the wires had come out because of a dry solder joint. Wasnt sure where it came from so had to do some tests. In the process I figured out how to hotwire my bike. It was very very easy so thats a bit concerning.
Found where the elusive cable goes and put it back in its place, all go now.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. One very happy customer here.
Right the world can start turning again now, Thankyou.

sAsLEX
27th August 2006, 16:13
OK here is an update.
Opened up the main switch, which is very easy to do. One of the wires had come out because of a dry solder joint. Wasnt sure where it came from so had to do some tests. In the process I figured out how to hotwire my bike. It was very very easy so thats a bit concerning.
Found where the elusive cable goes and put it back in its place, all go now.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. One very happy customer here.
Right the world can start turning again now, Thankyou.

Congrats

See my thread "A warning" or something about how easy it is to steal/hotwire a bike if steering is not locked!